Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I see on my Facebook that trending right now on the Twitter is #thetriggering where people express ideas or thoughts or say things that may be construed as offensive out in public under the hash tag, which I can only assume means a lot of people saying unflattering opinions about trans persons and the gay.

This isn't that interesting, but what is is that the Facebook timeline showcases exactly how the various blogs and alt-news sites are reacting to this. Here is a list of headlines you tell me which of these is true and which I made up:

"Internet Jerks Pledge to be Extra Jerky Tomorrow During #TheTriggering"

"Web Trolls & Men's Rights Activists Step Up Hate for #TheTriggering"

"Safe-Space Crybabies Bombarded With Politically Incorrect Truths" INFOWARS DOT COM WE HAVE THE DOCUMENTS

"Bigots on Twitter are Organizing #TheTriggering, a New, Awful Hashtag."

"#TheTriggering Just Took Down PC Culture But Not in the Way You Think."

"SomethingAwful's Lowtax Flees Country Under Suspicion of Sexual Deviancy With Aquatic Animal"

I think The Triggering sounds like a sort of verbal version of the Purge, which is cool in my opinion, but maybe other people don't like it so much, one person even wrote that assigning trigger warnings to books is more or less just assigning spoiler tags or otherwise warning emotionally fragile people that this book may create "emotionally devastating flashbacks" or something like that. Lots of people are saying the word "shitlord" too.

But what are some of the tweets that these news stories are referring to? Let's see how ugly #TheTriggering is:

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/707603071652593665?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/_ThatGuyT/status/707529319745097728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/Though_Criminal/status/707678586036051968

My god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Enfield posted:

leave me alone

I really like your avatar Enfield. Let's be friends.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

like I'm pretty sure you have to actively seek things out that make you mad and willingly embroil yourself in them maybe just stop doing that

Well it is trending on Facebook, alongside actual news headlines which is

hilarious

and also quite sad in a way.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I think there's a lot to be critical of with callout culture, where people intentionally misinterpret things in the worst faith possible to turn an opinion they disagree with into a moral failing. There's a lot to be critical of in terms of academic censorship of materials, speakers, etc, that some might find offensive as college is kind of supposed to be a place where you're pushed outside your comfort zone and have to confront,views or ideas that don't mesh with your worldview.

However, the people championing poo poo like this mostly just wanna say dumb things and not take responsibility for it, so i end up walking away with a worse view of everyone involved.

My reaction was mostly bemusement that given what I expected out of this hashtag, the majority of the tweets singled out by the bloggers who were so upset by this were incredibly tame, like the Lena Dunham one. All of those tweets were featured in the stories I listed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I'm pretty triggered I suppose, I hope it's not too obvious tho

please stay safe queen cock us

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lonesomedwarf posted:

what is this thread aboyt, twitter? sorry

Current events in our time.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

isn't this dude a pedo?

A dude named Sarah yeah right lol

just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

So the pedophile ran final fantasy shine?

Christ... loving nerds. All these SJWs and MRA PUA acronym losers are big loving nerds who just need to go outside and\or get a real job that doesn't involve video games, writing blogs or making videos on youtube.

The sad thing is, both are different forms of trying to justify a sad existence. MRA's are unsexed and unloved and do stupid red pill/blue pill nonsense to feel better about themselves, while SJWs are similarly losers who do "online activism" and lecture people and get indignant and start decreeing all sorts of rules for conduct and poo poo because it makes them feel like their lives in front of a computer screen are meaningful and worthwhile.

I feel badly for both of them, and wish something could be done to help.

SirEvelynTremble posted:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journa...te-nationalism/

Ugh ... is 'her' chest hair really in the shape of a vest? Natural or shaved?

Ew

• Locked thread