Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Budget update:

Super hilariously I actually miscounted the amount I had from guns, it was actually only like 17k which made a lot more sense when I tallied it against my records. I must have counted a stack of hundreds twice or something like a dang fool.

I'm being a little bad with the off the books money here too, I spent $200 out of the gun sale money on a pair of night stands and some other decorations which didn't make it into the budget. It's also reallly hard to resist eating out when I know I actually have the money but good habits come first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

ZenMastaT posted:

Budget update:

Super hilariously I actually miscounted the amount I had from guns, it was actually only like 17k which made a lot more sense when I tallied it against my records. I must have counted a stack of hundreds twice or something like a dang fool.

I'm being a little bad with the off the books money here too, I spent $200 out of the gun sale money on a pair of night stands and some other decorations which didn't make it into the budget. It's also reallly hard to resist eating out when I know I actually have the money but good habits come first!
Why is this money off the books? Add it in! All cash income and expense should be accounted for.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Fair point! I guess I'm just getting a little confused with how wonky the budget is getting with the added income from my gun sales and then me paying out larger than usual sums.

I decided to pay off the rest of my auto insurance for the period (~$600) since that saves a few bucks but now I'm like way over in the Auto Insurance budget category of course. I guess my plan is to use the next few months to pay $165 into a savings account per month so that I have a ready fund for the next auto insurance payment when it comes due?

I'm also thinking of setting aside an additional $600 or so from the gun sales for a recurring monthly expense. Would it be best to just increase my income by $60 a month or just mark the expense as reimbursable since it'll come out of petty cash? I guess I'm still trying to grasp the finer points of budgeting with mint.

I did figure out how to add transactions so even cash only exchanges should be included going forward. Anyway, my Visa is now paid off, I made the first payment on the Chase card so it's currently sitting at $5400 in debt. AmEx is clear as well, so things are looking fairly good.

In about 5 months the Chase will be clear too and I'll be done with credit card debt for the first time in like 10 years! I want to keep withholding $1200 out of every month of pay in perpetuity since it seems as if I'm roughly able to live under those conditions without undue stress. I may drop it to $1k once the debt is actually clear though since I do find myself bumping against some of the limits fairly often.

Thanks again for all your help guys, most of these issues would have felt really overwhelming without the easy to follow guidance and advice I found here. I'll probably continue to post weekly budget updates for the time being since that is the main likely point of failure for me and I do want to try and remain accountable for the time being!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That's a huge amount of progress in just one month! :)

The tricky part will be sticking with it over the long run, but you seem to have a good and realistic plan going forward rather than just a nebulous desire to improve.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hooray for getting on budget! This thread has helped me a bit since I'm in a similar situation!

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Whoops forgot to post yesterday!

Anyway things are getting a little wonky nearing the end of the month. No big surprise since it was predicted by me tanking some of the budget categories really early on in the month.

I think for next month I'm going to try to keep groceries really high, since I'm thinking of taking on cooking as my next hobby/skill thing so I'll want the budget to be able to experiment a little. Definitely going to switch to a once a week local run instead of bulk buying stuff with that in mind.

Also a little annoying that I got hit with a $104 finance charge from Visa after I paid off the card, I guess the funds didn't clear quickly enough? Shouldn't happen next month at least. There's a $50 shipping charge on there as well that should hopefully get reimbursed once I hear back from the retailer.

Gotta work a little harder at keeping the budget balanced across the month instead of going into starvation mode in the last ten days every time, since that sets me up to binge/spend once the budget rolls over in the new month.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I haven't posted here in a couple months because things have been going pretty well. Just wanted to leave a final update in case anyone finds this thread some time from now and wants closure:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Wow, that was fast. Great job! How'd you do it? What changed? How do you feel now? What's next?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Congratulations, that's awesome.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I had wondered, but it's good to see you stuck with it and demolished those debts. Those were some punishing interest rates you were paying so it must feel good to see the end of this.

cheapjew
Feb 12, 2006

What is trunk?
You're the champ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Man I wish I could pay down my debts like that... but my base expenses are waay too expensive and that ain't changing. I'll save more when I make more money ;)

• Locked thread