Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Art by me, hello!

Hello, and welcome to my LP of Pokémon Black 2: Randomized!

Randomized?

Yeah! Using a tool to edit the Rom, I’ve made it so that every pokemon in the game is replaced with (probably) some other pokemon! This means that every wild pokemon will be something else, so hopefully the team selections that I have are varied and cool as well! It can also lead to some impossible things, like a level 4 Ampharos being catchable on route 1. We’ll see how that works! Also, every trainer will have a selection of random pokemon, usually following a theme.

In addition to this, I’ve randomized the movelists and abilities of pokemon, but I left their stats the same so that I still have some idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the pokemon I encounter, though I won’t be able to know exactly what tricks they’ll pull on me.

Okay, why?

To put it simply, I loving love Pokémon. It is my second favorite game series ever, and it’s the series that I have been a fan of longer than any other. Despite this, I was never able to get through Black 2 or White 2, mostly because I had just played through both Black and White when I started playing the sequels, and I just sort of burned out. I’m hoping that playing with the randomizer, and trying to do an LP will help push me through it!

This does mean that eventually the LP is going to be “blind.” I’ve seen up to the 5th gym, and I’ve gathered a lot of the plot through cultural osmosis, so it’s not totally so, but fair warning.

What’s the LP going to be like then?

Okay, first thing’s first: This is not going to be an in-character LP, at least insofar as I’m not going to be writing as the character in the game. My online persona is a bit of a character, but whose isn’t? Regardless, I’m just gonna be me, and I’m gonna be reacting to and commenting on the story and game as me, the way it comes natural. Maybe I’ll be funny, I’ll try to be informative because I know a lot of poo poo about Pokémon, but I’m not gonna try to be anything other than me, just someone who likes Pokémon a whole lot.

Second, this is going to be primarily a screenshot LP, with videos for neat stuff that I think deserve videos, gifs for other neat stuff, and (eventually) commentated videos on interesting battles that happen! I’ll need to figure out video editing to do that, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thirdly, there’s gonna be reader participation! I love basically every Pokémon, so I’m cool with using whoever, which means that once we get more than six, I’ll let the thread vote on team composition, with one exception: Our starter never leaves our party. She’s special and my friend.

Oh, also I’m playing on Challenge Mode, which means that the trainer pokemon that I encounter are going to be anywhere between 1 and 5 levels higher than they would be in the base game, and also some trainers (mostly gym leaders). Plus I’m probably gonna end up doing some dumb drawings because I like to do them, but they probably won’t be parts of the updates proper.

Also, this game is something weird for a Pokémon game, it’s a sequel! I’m probably gonna talk about Black and White a lot throughout the LP, and I’ll try to make what I’m referencing clear when I do it, but if you want the full context of the game and don’t wanna play it, you can go read this LP by Chorocojo!

I’m not gonna have votes for nicknames or anything, but if you have any suggestions for nicknames of pokémon we might see feel free to throw them out and I might use them!

Lastly, I’m gonna be aiming for 2 update posts a week, but I make no promises. These updates take about 4 hours total to put together, so it’s not a huge time investment, but I’m an Undergrad Junior so things may come up.

:siren:Hey, I haven't had problems with this yet, but this is a partially blind playthrough! Talk about pokemon or the other games as much as you like, but please no plot spoilers for this one!

The Updates!

Update 1.1: Jolyne Jolyne, Jolyne Jolyyyyne…
Update 1.2: Hast du etwas Zeit für mich?
Update 2.1: Old Man and Me
Update 2.2: Captured Effortlessly
Update 3: House of Gold and Bones
Update 4.1: Just Can't Sleep Tonight
Ubdate 4.2: How Does That Grab You?

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
The Current Team:

The Active Roster:

This post will also contain whatever drawings and stuff I do for the thread, and any fanart I might or might not get!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 30, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 1.1: Jolyne Jolyne, Jolyne Jolyyyyne…

(Just as a warning, these first few updates will be a little more gif and video heavy than the usual. There’s lots of neat stuff at the beginning of this game! Also the program I was using to cap the screenshots stretched them weirdly. I tried to fix them as best as I could, but image quality should improve starting with update 2.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLu5Ta19lFk

The start screen/eyecatch/whatever is pretty neat, so check it out! From there, we get this menu!

It’s just a menu that you won’t look at much, but it’s got some stuff in it that’s cool and/or relevant. Mystery Gift has been a thing since Gen II and you use it to get event pokemon or items which maybe I’ll show off but who knows how the randomize will affect those, and Unova Link has a bunch of stuff.

Memory Link lets you sync your game with your save of Black or White and gets you some cutscenes and special battles that I will find some way to show off. The Key System lets you access easy mode and Challenge Mode, and the Nintendo 3DS link lets you get the pokemon that you captured in Pokémon Dream Radar, an app for the 3DS.

Anyway, let’s start a new game!

When we do, we’re immediately greeted by this lady! If you’ve played a Pokémon game before, you know immediately that this lady is a Professor, and that she’s probably gonna end up giving you your first pokemon.

And this is how they always start the conversation! Followed by this:

They send out a pokemon! Starting with Black and White, the sprites are fully animated and are constantly in motion, while before they just had an animation when they first entered battle. Some of them are pretty good, and I will try to show them off!

After sending out the pokemon (this one is a Cincinno, they’re chinchillas with fluffy tails that love to clean things and they’re awesome)

: “That's right! This world is widely inhabited by mysterious creatures called Pokémon! Pokémon have mysterious powers. They come in many shapes and live in many different places.”

Professor Juniper tells us that it is a pokemon, and that there are also many other kinds of pokemon! I assume you’re aware of this if you’re reading these words, but who knows!

: “We humans live happily with Pokémon! Living and working together, we complement each other. We help each other out to accomplish difficult tasks.”

This is another one of those things that is said in every game, but it’s something important so I’m keeping it in. Pokemon and people have a symbiotic relationship on Pokearth, pokemon want to be strong and fight good, people like pokemon fighting and also their companionship and utility, so they work together! It’s cool and the Black and White addressed it in their main plot.

Professor Juniper is a rad lady and agrees with me.

Oh, well...

Yes to both!

Hell yeah it is. She also asks us about :

This guy! His name is:

… Nah, his name’s Hugh. Also, the first screenshot in the LP to feature both screens! This’ll happen sometimes, it’s a DS game, after all.

Yes! Awesome! We will be great friends with our pokebuddies!

: “The moment you choose the Pokémon that will accompany you on your journey, your story will truly begin. During your journey, you will meet many Pokémon and people with different personalities and points of view. I really hope you learn what is important to you as a result of your travels... That's right! Befriend new people and Pokémon and grow as a person! That's the most important goal of your journey!”

Yeah! Now let’s-

That! After we leave Professor Juniper, we’re greeted with a nice, pretty cutscene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcWdYGEc4Js

(I had to rerecord the opening cutscene, so a few things are very slightly different in the video from how they were in the actual LP.)

It’s summer!! Seasons are a thing in this game and the previous, and they have some neat effects that I’ll go into later, when they become relevant.

This game takes place in the Unova region, which is pretty unique as far as regions are concerned. Instead of being based on a province, a state or a country like the other regions, Unova is just based on one city: New York! This gives it a really unique aesthetic in the Pokémon world, as almost every place you visit is very urban and, well, city-like, whereas there are a lot of forests and oceans and stuff in the other games.

Some of the people in these screenshots are gonna be important! Can you guess which ones? Also, whoah, the camera moving made those guys look squished.

This is one of them! Sort of. It’s our mom! She stops to look at some leaves blowing in the wind, and then her phone rings!

: “Aurea Juniper! It's been far too long! What can I do for you? ... Wow! A Pokédex... For my child? Why, that's great! I think a journey would be a wonderful experience! What now? She's already here? Oh, for Pete's sake. You never change. Once you've decided on something, you just start going. OK! Bianca, right? A big, green hat. Got it. OK! No worries!"

Apparently our mom knows Professor Juniper! And also her first name is Aurea! She also tells us basically exactly what the next ten minutes of gameplay (and, like, three hours of typing and screenshotting for me) will consist of.

Finally, after this line, we get control!

It’s us! For some reason, the hair’s off but whatever, let’s check out our room a little bit.

A new bed, even though we’ve lived in this town for quite a while, since everyone knows us and we have friends here. Guess we just needed a bed. Anyway, we start to go out the door and…

Our mom walks up to us and starts a conversation!

: “Do you know Professor Juniper? She's a famous Pokémon researcher. Actually, she's an old friend of mine, and she called me today for the first time in ages! This is out of the blue, but Jolyne...”

I didn’t even think to check what happens when you say no here, because duh, of course I want a pokemon!

A Pokédex (or Pokémon Index) is basically an encyclopedia of pokémon, but it’s an encyclopedia written by 12 year olds so there’s some pretty dumb stuff in there. I’ll be posting the entries as we fill them out.

Ah, so the girl in the big green hat gets namedropped! Bianca was one of your two friends who traveled sort of with you in the first game, and now she’s Juniper’s assistant apparently.

: “I was told to simply look for a big, green hat! That's right! You're going to go look for Bianca. And then you'll get a Pokédex and a Pokémon to be your partner!”

Heck yeah!

Xtransceivers are just smart watches with Skype, basically. We can call our mom or our friends with it. I’ll try to remember to do so.

So far, repetition has been one of the big problems with the game’s writing. Girl in the big green hat, the name you choose, stuff like that has been repeated a lot. I’ll try to cut it out as much as I can to make it flow better, but I wanted to show how it normally is here. This is the end of momtalk, and she moves out of our way so we can leave. If you talk to her again, though…

: "The girl's name is Bianca. I was told you should look for a big, green hat! She might be lost because this is her first time here. Go look for her!"

Yeah.

Oops went too far, perils of using fast-forward.

And we’re off!

Outside our house (the one on the right), there are some people to talk to and other buildings we can explore! So let’s do that!

I really like this line, he follows it up with stuff about DS wireless communication and wifi, which is pretty amazing actually!

Inside this building are some more people to talk to!

These old people apparently know us pretty well, and are maybe Hugh’s grandparents or something? It’s not really important, but it’s nice for the protagonist to have a hometown where they actually know people and people act familiar with them.

Upstairs, there are more people to talk to, as you can see from the top of the tiny boy’s head in this screenshot.

Me too, tiny boy.

NPC’s keep expressing basically my thoughts on pokemon which makes my job easy, but a bit predictable!

Back outside, someone’s calling our name!

Hey, it’s Hugh and Hugh’s little sister!

This game does the “silent” protagonist thing where the protagonist does say things sometimes, it’s just not spelled out exactly what they say. Usually these little emoticons represent us saying something, and the NPC’s reaction to it.

Yeah, really.

Aww, I definitely will, Hugh’s unnamed Little Sister.

I actually really like this little moment. It implies that there’s something going on without flat out saying it, and it’s really nice!

That moment just happens, is nice, and then Hugh brings the subject back! It’s super good!

: “There's something I have to do! And to do that, I need someone I can trust besides my partner Pokémon. A person I can trust! That's right! I'm talking about you! You seem like you've got good instincts!"

Yeah, that’s us! My instincts (by which I mean my 16 years of experience playing pokemon) are top notch!

Yeah, let’s find the little chipmunk!

And now Hugh is following us! This happens with a few NPCs throughout the game, and normally comes with some special mechanics, but we won’t run into those right now, so I won’t talk about them!

We head north, to Hugh’s house, and I really like the fade-in effect that the game has when you transition from outside to inside or vice-versa. It’s way more interesting than a cut to black.

On the inside, we find Hugh’s parents! Neither have much of interest to say, his dad says that Hugh and I should have a battle, and Hugh’s mom says that we’re about to go on a journey.

Upstairs we find Hugh’s little sister, who asks if we’ve found Bianca yet. I actually find it pretty cute that the little girl calls Bianca a lady, even though there's no way the little girl know that Bianca's only 16.

Back outside.

]

To the north, we find the trainer school, a regular fixture in Pokémon games, but apparently it’s a gym as well this time, which is neat.

We go east past the Pokémon center, talk to a total goon and read a sign. Aspertia is the city we’re in, and I guess the name is based on Aspirations, from that tagline.

We head north from there and into another house.

Inside this house is a rad dog, Lillipup, who we would normally be able to get one of very soon, but the randomizer changes that!

Upstairs there are more people and they’re, uhh...

They’re sort of weirdos.

Back outside, we make our way up to what that sign would have told us is the lookout, one of Aspertia’s most iconic areas.

: "Oh, I get it! The outlook is Aspertia's most famous spot! I'll bet Bianca is up there looking at the scenery! C'mon! Go get your Pokémon already!"

Oh, I guess it’s actually called the outlook, thanks Hugh! It probably would have been more useful if you said this before we were basically all the way up, though.

Oh, can’t see the hat yet but I’d recognize that hair anywhere.

And there’s the hat, and a pretty nice view. I’m gonna end this part of the update here, because it’s getting kind of long and this is a nice image to end things on! Next time, we’ll talk to Bianca and get our first pokemon! And then, shortly after, our second and third! Keep reading to find out what the heck they’ll be!

(Update 1.2 is right here!)

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 12, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 1.2: Hast du etwas Zeit für mich?

Hey, welcome back! Last time we were looking out at the outlook next to Big Green Hat, now let’s actually talk to her.

Yeah, it totally is! Probably would be even prettier if it was one of the cool seasons like Autumn or Winter, but the chips fall where they may.

And the big, green truth comes out! This is Bianca! I’m gonna talk about Bianca for just a little bit, because she’s cool and I like her a lot!

The left is what she looks like now, and the right is what she looked like in the first games! Bianca was one of the three characters in Black and White that sort of served as the rival character, ala Gary Oak (or Blue) from the very first games. The other two are named Cheren and Natural Harmonia Gropius (long story), but we’ll get to them later! For now, Bianca! In Black and White, Bianca was the childhood friend of the protagonist, and she, Cheren and the protagonist got their starter Pokémon all at the same time. Whatever Pokémon the player chooses, she will choose the one whose type is weak against them, which means that the battles you have against her are generally easier than the ones against Cheren.

This was reflected in Bianca’s story in Black and White. She was a little bit shy and insecure, and she wanted to go on her journey basically just to be with her friends and be able to come out of her shell a little bit more. Over the course of the game she realizes that she loves pokemon, but doesn’t really like battling all that much, so you only actually battle her three times, whereas you can battle the other rivals seven or eight times. She is, however, a constant companion and presence throughout the game, and she becomes a pretty formidable trainer in her own right. And now, two years later, she’s Professor Juniper’s assistant, which is a pretty good place for her! She gets to make friends with a bunch of pokemans without having to battle, and she gets to travel around meeting new people as well! It’s nice to see her again so soon, and to see how she’s changed. Back to the conversation!

Yep, that’s us.

Cool as hell and rad as gently caress? Yeah, that’s me.

Bianca does this little animation where she pulls her hat down. It’s cute!

: “Nice to meet you! I have a really important request to ask you!”

Yeah!

: “Oh, wow, thanks! Your support will help Professor Juniper's research move forward! Anyway, filling up the Pokédex is totally fun!”

Huh. The game actually boots you out of the conversation at this point and you have to talk to Bianca again to advance, which is sort of weird. Oh well!

I can’t wait! Let’s finally see a little bit of what the randomizer does!

This animation actually plays out on the bottom screen! It’s good and shows Bianca’s character and I like it a lot! Let’s look at our choices!

First up is Lotad, this little lillypad dude who evolves into a kappa and then into a veritable party unto itself! Let’s check out its stats

The first screen tells us Lotad’s type--he’s water/grass, which is a type combination unique to his evolutionary line--and also that he’s a boy and his nature is Jolly! That means that his speed is increased, but his special attack is decreased. The second screen is the much more interesting one, as it’s where things have changed a whole bunch. Lotad has 4 moves, which most pokemon would not have at level 5, and the ability Bad Dreams, which is normally exclusive to the legendary pokemon Darkrai and causes an opposing pokemon to lose 1/8th of their health each turn if they are asleep. This could be pretty good if Lotad ends up learning a move which causes sleep, but who knows if that would happen. Lotad and his line’s stats are basically average across the board, with good Special Defense and slightly above average Special Attack, which would be hampered by his Jolly nature if we were to take it.

As for the moves he has, wrap is nearly useless, and withdraw could be useful to bring his defense up to the same level as his special defense, but it’s also mostly useless. Water Pulse and Muddy Water, on the other hand, are both pretty darn good. Water Pulse is an accurate move with good power for this part of the game that confuses the opponent 20% of the time, and Muddy Water is as strong as the definitive water type special attack, though it only hits 85% of the time, and it has a 30% chance to lower the opponent’s accuracy by one stage. Stat stages are something that I’ll talk about later, because they’re sort of weird. Overall, Lotad would be a pretty good starter!

Our next choice is Gothita! They’re a tiny poke in a pretty dress who grows into a larger poke in a dress with a bunch of bows!

His stats! He’s also Jolly, because the nature of your starter is decided as soon as you can make the decision, and he’s a psychic type! Once again, four moves and a different ability than normal. Sand Veil is an ability that is just random enough to be super annoying to fight against but unreliable when it’s on your side. When there is a sandstorm, the pokemon’s evasion stat is boosted by 25%, which normally means that one out of four attacks will miss. It also makes it so that Gothita wouldn't take damage in a sandstorm. Overall, not too useful. As far as stats are concerned, they’re fairly similar to the lotad line! A little more specialized, with lower attack, speed and HP and higher defense, special attack and special defense. A fairly solid defensive pokemon.

For his moves, Gothita’s got a sort of weird line, way more random than Lotad’s. Slash, Power Whip and Rock Tomb are all pretty good physical attacks, and Power Split is weird. Slash is an accurate move with slightly below-average damage, but it gets critical hits twice as often as most other moves, which come with some cool benefits. Power Whip is a very strong move that is only 85% accurate, which is a fairly normal template for moves. Rock Tomb is.. Uhh, actually pretty bad in this gen. It’s got terrible power and is only 80% accurate (both of these were boosted in the next games, which is why I was confused) but it lowers the opponent’s speed by one stage when it hits, which can be useful. Power Split, on the other hand, is a move that averages the attack and special attack of the user and their target, which could actually be useful for Gothita, especially this one with its tanked Special Attack, making the target worse at attacking while Gothita gets stronger. Overall, he’s usable for this part of the game, and could become good based on what moves he gets.

Last up is Nidoran! She’s a bit of a relic of her time, since she was introduced in Gen I, before every Pokémon had a gender, but she is still cool and will evolve into a very Tough Mom.

This Nidoran is a Jolly lady (duh), and she’s a poison type! Little poisonous rabbit. Once she evolves all the way, she will also be ground type! Poison/Ground is a type combination which only the Nidoran lines can have, which is neat, though it won’t be nearly as powerful until the next generation. This Nidoran’s ability is Effect Spore, which can randomly cause poison, sleep or paralysis when she’s hit by a move that makes contact (this mostly means physical moves, though there are some exceptions.) This is actually pretty close to her normal ability, Poison Point, which does the same thing but only with poison. As for her stats, well, they’re basically average all around! Slightly above average HP and defenses, slightly below average speed and special attack. Jolly actually helps her out, since she’s more geared to be a physical attacker stats-wise than the other starters.

Her attacks are a mixed bag. Crush Grip is normally a move exclusive to a legendary pokemon, Regigigas, and it does more damage the more health the opponent has. This makes it absolutely poo poo for trainer battles (at least when it’s on a pokemon that doesn’t have enough attack to just straight up kill with it), but useful for weakening wild pokemon without killing them to make them easier to catch. Last resort is weird, it’s very powerful and accurate, but you can only use it if you have used every other move the pokemon knows, so it’s usually useless. Clear Smog is okay, and is gonna be Nidoran’s bread and butter until she learns something better. Clear Smog never misses and has middling power, but enough for the early game. It also gets rid of any stat changes that the target has undergone, positive or negative. Poison Sting is the most basic-rear end poison move, accurate but almost as weak as an attack can possibly be, with a 30% chance to poison the target. It’s pretty bad.

Anyway, which of these monsters are we gonna choose? Well, I ran a poll in the sandcastle and the winner was pretty decisive!

In the epic battle of lillypads, bows and moms, moms were the victor! Give it up for moms!

Heck yeah! I love moms, and this baby mom needs a good name.

There we go! A good, appropriate name that follows the dumb naming scheme I’ve had for my pokes for like the last 5 years.

Cool! I forgot to check Nidoran’s pokedex entry this time, so I’ll make sure to do it at the beginning of the next update!

: “You want to know what it does? The Pokédex is a high-tech device that automatically records the Pokémon you encounter! So Professor Juniper wants you to carry this Pokédex, visit a lot of places, and meet all the Pokémon in the Unova region!"

Do the cool, fun thing that I would do anyway. Got it.

:"The normal thing to do is to get an OK before sending someone clear out here, right?"

Professor Juniper is apparently pretty impulsive, judging from this conversation! I don’t really remember much about her from Black and White, so I can’t really saa! Maybe I should refresh myself at some point. Anyway, we’re done talking with Bianca so let’s go see what Hugh’s been doing this whole time.

I know I’m long-winded, but I had to talk about the pokemon dude. It’s, like, my thing.

: "Hey! What's that? So that's your partner, huh? That's great! My sister already said so, but take really, really good care of your Pokémon! Got it?”

Yeah, of course I’m gonna. I’m the best, and this little lady is special.

Since we have a lot of stuff on us, it’s nice that Bianca tells us what he’s actually talking about.

: "Please give me a Pokédex, too! I want to get stronger! If I have a Pokédex, I can learn more about Pokémon... That'll make me tougher, right?"

This is a neat line, because it shows that even if Hugh’s a goof, he sort of understands how the world works, and that knowing pokemon and being their friend is the best way to get ahead.

And this line makes me laugh, because of course Bianca doesn’t know who the heck Hugh is.

The kid’s got a good heart, and Bianca can see that! I like to imagine that she didn’t actually have a spare, and instead just gave Hugh her pokedex. It would be a nice little gesture, and absolutely in character for Bianca.

:”It looks like Pokémon distribution has really changed compared to two years ago, so the more, the merrier!”

Oh boy, you have no idea, Bianca. If we talk to her again after this...

She has this suggestion for us! Yes, finally a battle. Let’s go! (There are a few minor hiccups in the video due to it being my first time actually recording gameplay. Also, like the opening cutscene, I had to rerecord so there are a few differences!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cva5pwSF5VU

Back in this reality, the battle happens too! I think Hugh’ll find that no matter the reality, Jolyne’s the best.

Because Nena replaced Oshawott, Hugh got the Lotad that replaced Snivy! It’s a neat little touch, and because of the randomizer settings I chose he’ll have this guy for the rest of the game! Hopefully he evolves at some point, I’m not actually sure how that works.

We also have a battle sprite! It’s neat.

This is what the battle screen looks like! Pokemon on top, move selection and stuff on bottom. I normally won’t be showing but screens, but I figure y’all should be able to see it at least once. You may notice that Lotad is level 6 while Nena is only level 5, that’s Challenge Mode at work.

Nena actually has a type advantage against Lotad, which is rare because in this generation, Grass is the only type that Poison is super-effective against, though it has some nice resistances.

This is super basic stuff, but in case anyone doesn’t know, super-effective moves do twice as much damage and resisted moves do half as much damage. This is multiplicative, so pokemon with two types can have their weaknesses and resistances nullify each other or double up, making them take 4x or 1/4th damage. Using a move that is of the same type as your pokemon will multiply its power by 1.5x. All of this means that until she’s fully-evolved, Nena will be a little weak on the offensive but pretty good at taking a hit. Speaking of taking a hit…

Ow. Yeah. Critical hits do double damage and they ignore any status changes that would make them do less damage. They’re scary! Luckily Nena is tough and was able to survive it, plus we didn’t get confused by Water Pulse.

Uhh, Hugh, ours got hurt way worse.

For most of these first rival fights, the rivals are actually programmed to prioritize moves that won’t k/o your pokémon, because some of them would be basically impossible otherwise. This doesn’t mean that they’re impossible to lose, as a mistimed critical can still knock you out, but it makes it pretty unlikely.

After that, I use Clear Smog once again, and because it never misses that means the fight is over!

Oh. Of course it crits now.

Neat!

Buddy, with the way these games go you’re gonna learn this frustration over and over and over again.

Also, hey, we got some cash! That happens when you win trainer battles. The amount that you get depends on two things: The level of the final pokemon you defeated, and the type of trainer you were fighting. Your rival and most Gym Leaders, for example, will give you 100*their last pokemon’s level Pokédollars, while Rich Boys will give you 200 and Youngsters will give you 16.

After the fight, Hugh has some more to say:

: "I lost... This is different than battling with wild Pokémon! Well, whatever. I'm just happy to know you're a Trainer I can count on! Cool. I'm heading off first! Get stronger!"

And then he walks off!

And we jump-cut over to do just that!

We could have headed inside earlier, but since the game forces us to do it now I figured I’d wait, and I’ll let Bianca explain how Pokémon Centers work!

Yep, that’s basically it! Glorious socialized healthcare. Pokemon centers also have PCs where you can store your pokemon and, in this generation, they have Pokemarts where you can buy stuff! But most importantly…

Anyone who has ever played a pokemon game knows the jingle that comes with healing your pokemon, and it’s great.

Bianca shows us around and then gives us ten pokeballs! I proceed to buy 10 potions and 3 more pokeballs, because boy howdy I’m going to need them.

Outside, Bianca notices something!

It’s our mom and Hugh’s little sister!

Our mom wishes us luck and gives us the running shoes! Hold a button, go twice as fast! Since I’m on an emulator I can hold two buttons and go 4 times as fast! Wow! Also, some NPC’s dialogue thinks that we have Oshawott since that’s who our Nidoran replaced, which is sort of strange.

Hugh’s sister carries on a proud Pokémon tradition of the Rival’s sister giving you a town map!

Oh, two town maps apparently!

Ah, that makes sense. Hugh did just sort of run off with no warning.

: “C'mon, we're headed for Route 19! I'll teach you how to catch a Pokémon!”

Okay! Goodbye mom and nameless relative of our impulsive friend!

Route 19 is just through this gate at the north of town.

Another little sign that we are an actual person who has lived in this town, the gatekeeper knows us! It’s a nice feeling.

For some reason, she can identify what our pokemon actually is? It’s weird because it’s inconsistent.

Oh, nice! Now I’ve got 11.

Also in the tunnels are these tickers, which I think are pretty neat. Check it out!

Lots of cool stuff, foreshadowing and interesting information! (I had to shrink it a little bit to get it on Lpix, hopefully I can find a workaround for this at some point)

Well, okay, let’s go!

Now we see the traditional “how to catch pokemon” tutorial...

And the eternal battle between catte and pupper. These are normally two of the basic pokemon you’ll encounter in the early game, but, well…

Bianca gets the catte!

:"What a relief! I caught a Pokémon! Oh! Um... Right. I'll go over the important stuff. First, go find a healthy Pokémon to catch! You need to remember this next bit! It's best to lower the Pokémon's HP before you try to catch it. Use your Pokémon's moves to lower the HP of the Pokémon you want to catch.”

: “Continue straight this way to get to Floccesy Town! Bye now! Meet lots of Pokémon and catch a lot of them, OK?"'

Bye Bianca! It was good seeing you. Now let’s go see what we’ve got to catch!

Oh, neat! I guess we can show this to our Mom so that she can learn what an Oshawott actually looks like.

Fairly basic stuff! Some smog and some bubbles are exchanged.

A pokeball is thrown.

Ah, it didn’t work. No big d-wait what

Oh. Hydro Cannon is water-type Hyper beam, which means that it’s just a giant fuckoff laser, but the user then has to skip their next turn. Which means that we’ve got a free turn to try to catch this Oshawott again!

Nice!

When you catch a pokemon instead of being given it, you are treated to its Pokédex entry! Oshawott’s a crafty little dude.

And a fitting nickname! Who’s next?

Oh, sweet! I’ve always really liked Qwilfish, though this does mean that for now our party is very water and poison heavy (oh, spoilers, we’re gonna catch her).

And Nena gets a chance to show off why Crush Grip is nice to have! The first one did more than half of this Qwilfish’s health, but the second one...

Just puts her in the red, where she can then be caught! On the second try, but still!

Balloons: Not good at swimming. Regardless, her name is Hootie!

Exploring further down the route, I find an item! I get into a battle trying to get it though and, well...

Used a potion because drat it would be embarrassing to die to a wild pokemon like 20 yards out of the starting town.

Very nice.

Oh, well that was not really worth it. gently caress it, let’s go home, it’s late.

Oh, hey, Bianca’s here!

Apparently they’re pretty close! Neat.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Moms are magic, and can heal your pokemon by tucking you in. It’s great!

That’s the end of the update! Let’s take a look at our current team to wrap things up.

Nena is the same as she was when we got her! She’s pretty solid for this point of the game, and is gonna be our constant companion and friend.

Da Ba Dee is very… Focused. He’s an Oshawott, which means that he’s gonna stay pure water type. His nature is a neutral one, which means that it raises and lowers the same stat. His ability is weird and mostly gonna be not useful, since double/triple battles are fairly rare in the main story. He is another fairly balanced pokemon, with both attack and special attack being pretty good but his speed and special defense are a little below average.

His moves though are sort of silly. Bubble is a weak but accurate water type move that has a very small (10%) chance to lower the opponent’s speed. Clamp is a little stronger than bubble, but only 85% accurate. If it hits, it will prevent the opponent from switching out and do 1/16th of their health in damage at the end of each turn for 4-5 turns. It’s not great. Crabhammer, on the other hand, is pretty good! Good power, workable accuracy (90%) and it has an increased crit chance. This’ll be Da Ba Dee’s bread and butter for now. Hydro Cannon I’ve already talked about, and it will mostly be a last-resort if I absolutely need something knocked out.

Hootie, on the other hand, is pretty neat! Qwilfish don’t evolve, so this is how she’ll be forever (Well, the stat ratios and ability will be the same. Moves will change, obviously.) Motor Drive is a really neat ability for her to have, because it makes her immune to electric type attacks, which means that she is only weak against Psychic and Ground and resists a whole bunch of stuff! As for her stats, her Attack and Speed are above average, but everything else is sort of weak. Her nature makes her Attack higher and her Special Defense lower, which is pretty good!

Her moves are… not so much. Clear Smog I’ve talked about already, sort of weak but good for now. Smog is, honestly, worse than Poison Sting. It’s got more power and a higher chance to poison, but is only 70% accurate, which means that it is on average worse for both things. Gastro Acid is a weird move that essentially shuts down the target’s ability, which is far too situational to be useful. Secret Power is a decently damaging physical attack that has a 30% chance to inflict some secondary effect depending on the environment it’s used in. In grass, for instance, it will put pokemon to sleep, whereas it will paralyze them if used in a building. Secret Power's the one we'll be using most often.

Thanks for reading, and be sure to tune in next time for men jumping off cliffs, rocks, and a frankly startling increase in the number of available pokemon!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 13, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MY SUPER SAIYAN RAGE

B2/W2 are probably the best 'crystal' games of the series. Having a story that continues and builds upon the previous one is such a good and enjoyable thing.
But while it brought ditzy, adorable assistant Bianca it also got us Hugh.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oooh, this is looking good so far. Also, I love Minccino and Cinccino, they are just so loving cute I could sperg on about them. :kimchi: If you do get one, might I recommend naming it Sweeps? Because with Skill Link that's what they're gonna loving do to an enemy team.

Oh, and you have a broken image link on the first part, under the "We're Off" text.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hah, you think that Lotad was tough, it wasn't even its final form.

Totally psyched for one of the best games in the series, I've played them loads and there's so much stuff to do in these games, it's crazy! Really makes the Gen 6 entries really, really lacking...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Randomizers are always fun as hell. I did a B2 randomizer like last year and I got a Kingdra as my starter, she carried me through the game like a boss. I got a bunch of other cool mons afterwards but seriously, Kingdra as starter, so cool. I'm surprised you only got first stage starters, did you select that yourself?

About B2W2...they're a step down from BW, which is rather unforgivable for the third versions, but it was the first time Gamefreak tried to make a sequel and they do have their good things (like the amazing Pokedex...which doesn't matter at all in a randomizer). Still, I'll be gladly following, especially since I have a place in my heart for Nidoran-F after she was my best Pokemon in my Yellow Nuzlocke.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
How is the randomizer pulling moves? Just at random and you got really really lucky with STAB or is it pulling form moves thats make sense of the type?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

MY SUPER SAIYAN RAGE

B2/W2 are probably the best 'crystal' games of the series. Having a story that continues and builds upon the previous one is such a good and enjoyable thing.
But while it brought ditzy, adorable assistant Bianca it also got us Hugh.

I actually really like Hugh! He's dumb as a box of rocks but he's dumb in a way that's charming to me.

Kemix posted:

Oooh, this is looking good so far. Also, I love Minccino and Cinccino, they are just so loving cute I could sperg on about them. :kimchi: If you do get one, might I recommend naming it Sweeps? Because with Skill Link that's what they're gonna loving do to an enemy team.

Oh, and you have a broken image link on the first part, under the "We're Off" text.

Unfortunately, because of the randomizer, Mincinno and Cincinno will almost certainly not have Skill Link, let alone the moves to use them with. Sweeps is still a p. good name for one, though.

And thanks for the heads up on the broken image!

Crosspeice posted:

Really makes the Gen 6 entries really, really lacking...

Gen 6 is actually my favorite! All of the qol improvements and the huge selection of cool pokes outweighed the mediocre story for me. Plus I could pet my pokemons and it made them better at fighting, which was the best.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Randomizers are always fun as hell. I did a B2 randomizer like last year and I got a Kingdra as my starter, she carried me through the game like a boss. I got a bunch of other cool mons afterwards but seriously, Kingdra as starter, so cool. I'm surprised you only got first stage starters, did you select that yourself?

Yeah, I selected the option that makes it so that the starters all follow the normal starter pattern of being the baby form of a 3-stage line, just to make sure that the battle with Hugh didn't become basically unwinnable because I wanted to go with, like, an oddish while he got a Ho-Oh. Similarly, I've got a lot of other settings that I ticked for simplicity's sake. Levels will always match up to the normal levels of things, stats are unchanged, I used area 1-1 mapping so that I wouldn't end up having to spend like 2 hours searching for all 10 pokemon that can happen to appear in each route's wild grass, come up with names for all of them and do writeups on them all at once. Similarly...

Lazaruise posted:

How is the randomizer pulling moves? Just at random and you got really really lucky with STAB or is it pulling form moves thats make sense of the type?

I checked the option on the randomizer that makes it so that every pokemon starts with four moves, at least one of them is an attacking move and 50% of the moves each pokemon learn are of their types. This still leads to a ton of variance, like if we compare Da Ba De with his 4 water moves to that Gothita with his strange grab-bag of physical attacks, but it means that no pokemon should ever be completely unusable out of the gate.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
BW2 is one of my favorites for the sole reason of being able to get all six generations of pokemon at once instead of just having the latest gen until you get the national pokedex. it gave me a chance to use other pokemon and get out of my comfort zone [like using magby instead of charmander and so on].

then there's also this, i love randomizers. i can't wait for more.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
well, I just recorded the next update and huh. Things are about to go a little off the rails. Aiming to have it all screenshotted and ready by Saturday.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I hope Hootie sticks around. Qwilfish is kind of my favorite Pokemon.

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't go full-on with things like randomizing the types of the Pokemon and the like, but it's still bound to be interesting.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
This should be fun. Black 2 was the first Pokemon I played after Red way back in the day and I also did a randomized run of it because of Twitch Plays Pokemon.

Hopefully we'll see some of the crazy things I did, like stumbling into a cave full of level 10 Mews or a preschooler attacking me with Dialga. :allears:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
All I know is that the last time I tried this, the first gym leader had a pure power regigigas.

yeah.

I'm using a different seed now, but yeah, that's the sort of stuff we might have to look forward to!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do the pokemon still learn moves at the same levels they would during a normal run? And how does the randomizer treat TMs and the like?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I'm actually not sure about when pokemon learn moves, I'll have to check with check the moves they learn next update versus their normal movelists. As for TM's, we'll get our first at the end of the next update, and I'll talk about how the randomizer handles those then.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I'm actually not sure about when pokemon learn moves, I'll have to check with check the moves they learn next update versus their normal movelists. As for TM's, we'll get our first at the end of the next update, and I'll talk about how the randomizer handles those then.

If this is the same randomizer that everyone uses, i think moves will be learned at regular intervals (every four levels? three maybe?) until lvl 100. I might be confusing this with another thing though so don't count on it.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I just checked the footage and Nena tried to learn moves at levels seven and nine and Hootie learned 2 moves at 9, so it looks like pokemon get new moves when they normally would, they're just replaced with different ones.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 2.1: Old Man and Me

(Hey, I just realized that I accidentally uploaded the uncompressed images for all of update 1! I've gone back and fixed those so hopefully the page loads better now! Also I'm really bad at judging the ratio of gameplay to update size, so this update is gonna be split in two again. Second part should be up tomorrow.)

When you start the game up again after a save, it reminds you where you are and what the season is! I think that's pretty useful, as someone who often forgets about games for weeks or months at a time before picking them back up.

This is what our mom says after resting our Pokémon! Anyway, we're rested up so let's head to Floccesy town!

Oh it's Autumn now btw, we slept for a long time. On route 19 we get into a random encounter, and then this happens!

Haha, no. This does tell us something about how the randomizer works, though. Our pokemon will learn moves at the levels that they would normally learn moves, which adds another (small) level of predictability to the randomization. Continuing on...

We get yelled at by someone off-screen!

Oh, it's Alder! He was the Pokémon League Champion in Black and White, and a pretty tough fight! Because of Plot Stuff, you didn't fight him when you would normally fight the champion, so he was more of a post-game superboss with a pretty good team that were all at least level 75. He is also a champion who specializes in bug types, which is rad as gently caress. Also, he moves around a lot so be prepared for GIFS!

: "I'm a Trainer with a keen interest in the world. One of my goals is to tell people about how wonderful it is to walk toward the future together with Pokémon. And you are? ... ... Hmph! So you're Jolyne from Aspertia City!"

This isn't actually him misidentifying Nena, I switched Da Ba De to the front of my party to get him a little experience.

: "Your Oshawott is a fine-looking Pokémon! But, you're not exactly a seasoned Trainer yet... Indeed! I'll train you a little! Follow me!"

Oh. Floccesy town was... right there. That probably would have been both faster and safer than going home.

: "Oh, that's right! Jolyne, are your Pokémon well? Your Pokémon are always doing their best for you, the Trainer, so you must always be kind to them! My house is just a little farther! Stop by the Pokémon Center first if you'd like!"

Eh, we don't really need it, but we might as well check it out, see if there are any cool people to talk to.

Pokémon centers often have, at the very least, some people with good advice, if not people who will give you free stuff.

Like this guy! It may seem like common sense, but reminding the kids that this game was made for that they should stock up is good! Especially considering what we're going to be encountering later in the update.

This person, on the other hand...

Nah, she's cool too, we just have one of two pokemon that make her look sorta ditzy. She's here to tell people that, hey, some pokemon have gender differences! Usually they're small things, like female Pikachu having heart-shaped tails, but they're neat either way.

This guy's just sort of there, though. Hey, let's check out the upstairs too!

Oh. As is traditional, the upstairs of a Pokémon Center is where you go for multiplayer. For obvious reasons, I won't be able to show that stuff off. After getting told to stuff it, we head outside.

Hey, don't forget to save! Don't be like little me who would often lose hours of progress.

In this house, we see another pokemon that would normally be super common around here, but that we may not see until the postgame for all I know! Patrat is a cute squirrel thing.

It's even trying to say squirrel.

Oh, hey, that reminds me! We've got a map, maybe we should check that out.

Remember how I said that Unova was based on New York? Well, actually right now we're in Jersey, as evidenced by this map.

Here's out hometown and the route that we took to get here!

And here's where we're going, and the city where we can finally escape from New Jersey. Apparently Route 20 has some stuff that goes on in Autumn, which is pretty convenient!

That's the map! I'll periodically check it to see the flavor text for the places we've been/are going. Some of it's neat! Back to talking to strangers in their own homes.

Oh, cool, talking to strangers totally pays. Let's call our mom and tell her how she was totally wrong for all of these years.

Just use the Xtransceiver and you can call people! Right now it's just mom, but she's got some stuff to say.

Yeah, just got some drugs for free from a stranger. But, back to being more serious, the Xtransceiver is pretty neat!

Whenever you call someone, you've got the option to just chat or ask them about the place where you are. I'll do both whenever I remember to use this thing.

: "I'd like to talk."

: "There are many different Pokémon, and even the same kind of Pokémon have individuals with completely different natures. I wonder what kind of Pokémon is a perfect match for you?"

: "Floccesy Town?"

: "You're in Floccesy Town for a spell? Did you visit Alder's house? A long time ago, Alder taught me about Pokémon! Boy, that takes me back!"

: "Good bye."

Wow, apparently our mom is pretty cool. She knows both the Professor and the Champion from this region, and knows them pretty well from the sound of things. Anyway, that's this episode's dose of Momtalk, it was neat!

While talking to our mom, we ended up wandering into the house next door. This lady is amazed by our three whole pokémon. They're full of poison and bubbles, though, so they actually are pretty amazing. Her dog is pretty cool too though.

:shittydog:

"This ranch used to be a grassy meadow. It's now become a place where people and Pokémon have homes together!"

... Ranch?

Anyway, let's actually follow Alder finally!

"But the great time we're spending with Pokémon is right now!"

"The Pokémon at the top left of your party is the one who will be sent out first in battle! So it's best to put a Pokémon that you want to train or one that's already tough in that spot!"

After we talk to four people, read a sign and dig through some garbage of course.

Oh, right, the reason we came here in the first place.

: "... Oh ho! It's your friend's Town Map, is it? Your friend is the one with the Snivy, isn't he? It just so happens, he was training his Pokémon on Route 20... Well, if that's the case, you should go give him the Town Map first!"

... Well, it's not a Snivy, but it's closer than Nena is to an Oshawott.

Okie dokie!

Uhh, old dude? That happens on Route 19 too. I suppose this could be a bit of a warning that Floccesy Ranch is sort of the "first dungeon" of this game, but it's not super clear.

Good to know. Also, look, leaves!!

(Leaves kept at original size because twice the leaves is just too dang pretty for Lpix.)

After that fun romp, let's talk to this little kid because hey, we're the big dog here.

Yeah, the eyes are where you can see their Dark Determination.

Oh, hey, cool! Wynaut is the baby form of Wobbuffet, who was something of a mascot for the series for a while. Like Wobbuffet, he's got high HP and okay defenses, but his offensive stats are abysmal, which means that Da Ba De shouldn't be in too much trouble!

Or he could do moves like that that don't do damage anyway. Miracle Eye guarantees that the next attack its user does will hit, and it allows Psychic type moves to hit Dark type Pokémon.

Blaze Dragon posted:

A small correction, Miracle Eye does not make the next attack unable to miss. It returns evasion to normal, like Foresight and Odor Sleuth.

We bonk him again, and he actually retaliates this time!

It doesn't do much, despite the level advantage and the fact that Slash is a pretty strong move for this part of the game. We go one more round, and then...

Cool, that's a nice chunk!

Enough to get Da Ba De 2 levels!

And he forgets Clamp to learn Avalanche. Avalanche is a move with slightly below-average power, but if the user takes damage before they attack that turn the attack deals double damage. It's also ice type, which is one of the best offensive types, hitting 4 other types (among them being Grass and Dragon, which resist Da Ba De's water moves) for super-effective damage while only being resisted by 2 types. Ice moves are very nice to have, especially for a water type.

Apparently I got the formula for youngsters wrong, as they give $16 per level of their last pokemon, not 12 like I said last update.

Across the bridge, we get to see what happens when you actually walk into a trainer's line of sight!

Oh, hey, Numel is pretty cute! Unfortunately for Isabel, it's also a Fire/Ground type which means that it's 4x weak to water.

Yeah.

Two more levels again, dang. Da Ba De is already caught up to Nena.

Pffffffffft.

Not a Purrloin, but Numel is cuter imo.

Find some more drugs and then WHOAH RANDOM ENCOUNTER!

Oh, nice! Something that is not made of bubbles or poison.

... Also something that can push our water types' faces in if he got good moves from the randomizer.

Well, Hootie, it was nice knowing you. :salute:

Oh. Right, Motor Drive. I forgot! Actually Hootie's probably in pretty good shape because of that. Gonna try to soften this guy up a little more before catching him with Smog.

... Huh. Well, hope I get him in one.

Which I did, of course, because I'm cool as hell and rad as gently caress.

This is one kitty you don't want makin' biscuits. Let's check him out (and see what name I gave him)!

This is Star Me! He's serious, which is another neutral nature, and is a physical-attack oriented electric type. His bulk is average, his attack is phenomenal, special attack isn't too bad. The thing that holds him back most is his sub-par speed. That ability probably isn't gonna do much for him offensively, but it makes him immune to fire-type attacks. If he gets one of the few physical fire moves it could become something seriously threatening.

For his moves though, they're absolutely phenomenal. Thunder has high power but low accuracy (unless it's raining, then it never misses). Thunderbolt has above-average power and perfect accuracy. Fusion Bolt is the real star of this set, though, usually being a move that only 2 Legendary pokemon can use, it's a physical attack with perfect accuracy and great power. Its low PP hurts it a little bit, though. Sky Drop is a weird move that has fairly low power, but it prevents the opponent from acting for a turn while it's happening. Not too useful, but serviceable for now, and it lets Star Me hit the grass types that would resist its electric attacks for some pretty good damage. Overall, Star Me is a powerhouse.

Back in the game (after heading to the Center to heal Star Me's poison) we're getting in another fight! I'll try to cool it with the "lol they don't know what their pokemon are" jokes, because I have a feeling those will get old fast.

This little guy's got a dragon! Sweet!

Oh. How unfortunate for that dragon.

Good job, Hootie.

Man, I actually sort of feel bad for this kid. As soon as the battle's done...

Oh, huh. Someone in the thread was just talking about how they got a Kingdra as their starter in a randomized run of this game, and here we have a Seadra ripe for the pickin!

Or not. Hootie's bloodthirst knows no bounds.

Oh. I guess this guy isn't a trainer. Let's talk to him!

Ah. The ol' "Guy blocks your path until you've done the stuff you're supposed to." Got it.

Across the bridge, we find a Pokéball that wouldn't be accessible if it wasn't Autumn! Free stuff is good.

And in this corner that would be inaccessible if not for the leaves, we find a potion!

Oh, this must be the ranch that old guy was talking about earlier! I think I see some grass over there, so let's check it out!

Apparently this is some sort of Bikini Bottom Jellyfish Ranch. I can dig it.

These jellyfish are apparently psychic! They have the ability Forewarn, which tells you the move that the opponent has with the highest base power. It's sort of useful!

Well, let's just go through the usual capture routine an-Oh, come on! Again?

Nice hanging in there, Hootie!

Aww, that's actually sort of sad. Let's check this lady out!

LL is Impish, which means her defense is higher but her special attack is lower. This is a mixed bag, because Tentacool is another tanky pokemon and the increased defense helps make it better at that, but Special Attack is also its better attacking stat, though not by that much. I already talked about Forewarn, it's not great. Water/Poison is a pretty good type combination, though, with 3 weaknesses and 7 resistances. What about her moves, though?

Well, we already know about Hydro Cannon and Crabhammer, but Sludge Bomb and Acid Armor are new! Sludge Bomb is the special poison attack of choice, above average power and perfect accuracy, with a 30% chance to poison. Pretty good! Acid Armor raises defense by two stages, and this is as good a time as any to talk about stat stages.

Raising a stat's stage is actually pretty simple, each stage it goes up raises it by 50% additively, to a maximum of +300% at 6 stages. Lowering the stage, though, is a little more complicated. Stat stages, in general, can be represented by the Fraction 2/2. When you raise the stage, you make the top number bigger, but when you lower the stage you make the bottom number bigger. This means that the first time you lower a pokemon's stat, it drops by 1/3rd, the second time it drops to 1/2, and then to 2/5, 2/6, 2/7 and finally to 2/8. This means that lowering a stat has diminishing returns, while raising a stat is a flat bonus. It's weird! Stages also cancel each other out, so if you used Acid Armor while your defense was at -4 (or 2/6) and you used Acid Armor, it would go to -2 (or 2/4) not 4/6 (which would be -1).

Also, you can totally only half-press a button. Let's go check out the farm!

Oh, hey Hugh.

: "All right! Let's see how much stronger you've become! Come at me!"

Oh, I guess we're doing this!

There's no video for this one because, well, it's almost exactly the same as the last one. Hugh doesn't have any now pokemon, Lotad's just a little stronger.

: "Come on, partner! Shrug it off! You're stronger than that!"

Yeah. I literally cannot not ko him next turn.

Clamp is not very good.

And now Hootie is caught up with Nena and Da Ba De!

: "You're thinking about how to bring out your Pokémon's strength. I should be able to count on you for backup! What are you doing here anyway? Huh? A Town Map?"

: "Tch... She didn't have to do that... Thanks to you, too. We just left, and you've already helped me out."

And our mission is complete! Also, aww, Hugh appreciates us. Maybe the mountain man will have moved by now...

Or the owners of the ranch are gonna kick us off their property.

"I'm the owner of this ranch! And this is my wife!"

Yeah, but the center's all the way back in town.

Oh, she meant free stuff. And some for Hugh too! Cool.

"Our two Herdier are always together, and this is the first time one has wandered off. I'm a little worried."

This sets Hugh off something fierce, and he immediately runs off-screen.

I dunno either, guy.

Neat! This is where this part of the update ends!

Next time: We find a dog. And a king. And a cow. And a tree. And a meme. And more!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 12, 2016

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Xtransreceiver (pronounced crosstransreceiver (jesus christ, what a name)) is actually a neat little help menu in addition to allowing you to just randomly have a chat with characters. It's one of the many feature I wish didn't disappear unto nothingness in the sequels.

Everyone you can call offers you help on some aspect of the game. Mom will tell you info and maybe tips about your current location. Hugh, when you get his number, will remind you of the current plot objective. Someone will tell you how much your pokemon like you currently. I think there might be a type chart reminder? Stuff like that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You've got duplicated images of "Flocessy ranch has wild pokemon" guy and Hugh's freakout.Fixed

Gee, spoilers Star Me. :rolleyes:

E:^^^ The Xtranceiver also has ability info that documents otherwise-hidden out-of=battle effects.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 12, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A small correction, Miracle Eye does not make the next attack unable to miss. It returns evasion to normal, like Foresight and Odor Sleuth.

Also I'm surprised you didn't randomize more. You miss some of the most fun things that can happen in a randomizer this way!

And that's not even thinking of the amazing things the Red randomizer can do.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Amppelix posted:

The Xtransreceiver (pronounced crosstransreceiver (jesus christ, what a name)) is actually a neat little help menu in addition to allowing you to just randomly have a chat with characters. It's one of the many feature I wish didn't disappear unto nothingness in the sequels.

Everyone you can call offers you help on some aspect of the game. Mom will tell you info and maybe tips about your current location. Hugh, when you get his number, will remind you of the current plot objective. Someone will tell you how much your pokemon like you currently. I think there might be a type chart reminder? Stuff like that.

Yeah, basically every game has a cool tutorial gadget/help function. My favorite is the Poketch from DPP because it was just always there and easy to use.

I never used the Xtransceiver much in the first games, but I'll try to use it often in the LP since it has a bunch of neat conversations that, well, characterize the characters as well as hints at mechanics that I can springboard off of.

AlphaKretin posted:

You've got duplicated images of "Flocessy ranch has wild pokemon" guy and Hugh's freakout.

Thanks! I fixed those.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I'm surprised you didn't randomize more. You miss some of the most fun things that can happen in a randomizer this way!

And that's not even thinking of the amazing things the Red randomizer can do.

I went and added your correction to the update! Even though I know a ton about Pokémon, I don't know everything, and I've been trying to double-check stuff like that but whoops!

Also, I'm mostly doing this as a low-ish randomization run for my own sake, as trying to make sense of a MAX RANDOM run in screenshots and be informative on top of that for an entire LP seems,well, basically impossible. Probably gonna do bonus updates some time in the future showing off what a MAX RANDOM run looks like, though, because yeah it can get crazy.

I'm happy with this level of randomization for the main LP, though. It still keeps things unpredictable without getting to the level of "my Nidoran just evolved into a Diglett with the stats of a shuckle and water/fire typing."

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I'm happy with this level of randomization for the main LP, though. It still keeps things unpredictable without getting to the level of "my Nidoran just evolved into a Diglett with the stats of a shuckle and water/fire typing."

:stare:
Is uh... Is that a setting you can actually have?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Roro posted:

The randomizer is a magical thing.

You can keep things fairly restrained, though. For example, there's a setting to randomize a gym's type so there's still a theme instead of just random 'Mon being thrown at you. Brock's rock hard bug types are to be feared.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

^^^ :hf:

Roro posted:

That is absolutely something you can have. The Randomizer is magic. :allears:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This looks fun. Is there a randomizer setting that just swaps around the wild pokemon you can find while leaving trainer pokemon, learned moves, and abilities and such the same?

Also, for big gifs you can just upload those separately to imgur or something. webm embedding is also enabled now so you can use imgur's version of those to save space.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This looks fun. Is there a randomizer setting that just swaps around the wild pokemon you can find while leaving trainer pokemon, learned moves, and abilities and such the same?

Yup. The randomizer lets you select everything individually, so you can change whatever you wish to while leaving the rest intact. Or just go into something that is barely Pokemon anymore with the wrong everything on each Pokemon that might appear anywhere at any time. It even lets you change types so the new types are in old games and work correctly, or let that Pikachu in Yellow evolve...it's pretty neat!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Since people seem to be so interested, here's a link to the randomizer if you want to check it out! It can work on any of the games up to the DS era, and it's pretty neat! I'm gonna go back and edit this link into the op since I probably should have done that in the first place.

Edit: Also, I'm getting the screenshots for the next update right now! It's mostly battling and catching pokemon, so expect a lot of words about new buddies and get your ballots ready.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 12, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While that does work for every game, if you want a Gen 1 randomized game, I recommend another one far more. It has a lot of neat options and makes for a totally different game.

Also the main randomizer updated this month and the new GUI is so much better. Makes me want to go on another run.

EDIT: removing the link just to be safe, since that one does create the ROM so it could be seen as :filez: Hopefully it isn't hard to find though, if anyone's weird enough to play Gen 1 now.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 13, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Randomizers are neat. I'm totally doing a randomizer run of Ruby/Sapphire now, thanks OP!

Edit: Correction I will do a Black/Black 2 play through in concert with updates and post interesting random encounters I get :toot: What random settings did you use OP?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 13, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Going to be Buzz Killington and ask if the randomiser would be considered :filez:?
(If so maybe edit it out OP, your LP has too much potential for you to be probied/banned)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Roro posted:

Going to be Buzz Killington and ask if the randomiser would be considered :filez:?
(If so maybe edit it out OP, your LP has too much potential for you to be probied/banned)

The randomizer itself doesn't include any ROMs, so I don't think it would be?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Someone Awful! posted:

The randomizer itself doesn't include any ROMs, so I don't think it would be?

Oh, that's a relief.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Gridlocked posted:

Randomizers are neat. I'm totally doing a randomizer run of Ruby/Sapphire now, thanks OP!

Edit: Correction I will do a Black/Black 2 play through in concert with updates and post interesting random encounters I get :toot: What random settings did you use OP?

I was thinking of posting the actual seed that the LP uses, but I don't want anybody accidentally spoiling anything! Instead, here's the settings that I used, so you can create your own seed that uses the same rules but may come out totally different! (the starters will be the same if you don't mess with it because I had to rerecord once I realized that oh god having the wild encounters be totally randomized means that I would have to spend 2-3 hours hunting out all 20 pokemon that can be in every type of encounter-tile on every route)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Maybe you could post it after the LP is done, I think that'd be fun :shobon:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I was thinking of posting the actual seed that the LP uses, but I don't want anybody accidentally spoiling anything! Instead, here's the settings that I used, so you can create your own seed that uses the same rules but may come out totally different! (the starters will be the same if you don't mess with it because I had to rerecord once I realized that oh god having the wild encounters be totally randomized means that I would have to spend 2-3 hours hunting out all 20 pokemon that can be in every type of encounter-tile on every route)

Errrm I must be stupid. It won't load the seed file. It wants .rndp files and the pre-made seeds/yours are .nrqs. What is wrong with me?

Edit: Derp settings file not seed file. I R Dumb

So if I want different starters but everything else the same do I make starters Random (completely) or Random (basic Pokemon with 2 evolutions)

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 13, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you choose "Random (Basic Pokemon with 2 evolutions) it will always give you Pokemon who are unevolved but have 2 more forms -- like Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume or Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot. If you choose "Random (completely)" you could get anything from Kadabra to Magby to a friggin' Ho-oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Either one will work! The first will give you any pokemon as a starter, the second is the one that I used, ensuring that your starter will be like starters always have been, the baby of a 3-stage line. I'd recommend the second for the reasons I stated earlier, sometimes you want to take a cute pokemon or one that's unusual but if you do you're gonna end up fighting against, like, Rayquaza every time you fight Hugh.

• Locked thread