Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I haven't mentioned fishing at all (because it doesn't exist until the postgame and oh god I just realized the amount of work fishing and especially ripple fishing is going to add to the pokemon catching (if I haven't completed the Pokédex by that point, which I probably won't have)

I love these games and I love shaking grass as a mechanic (especially since they used it as a way to alleviate grinding with Audino) but ripple fishing might be a step too far

It's bad enough normally, let alone having to do it for every single body of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I haven't mentioned fishing at all (because it doesn't exist until the postgame and oh god I just realized the amount of work fishing and especially ripple fishing is going to add to the pokemon catching (if I haven't completed the Pokédex by that point, which I probably won't have)

I love these games and I love shaking grass as a mechanic (especially since they used it as a way to alleviate grinding with Audino) but ripple fishing might be a step too far

You could always spin up a new game and transfer your file over if you REALLY care about completing the dex. The real games required trading anyway and there were STILL 'mons requiring prior gen games to get anyway.

You could use the log as well to show what you have access to and put that up to a vote as well (though it does spoil the surprise).

Edit: If you set it to "complete random" instead of "Area/Global 1:1", It goes through the full species roster at least 6 times but every group has 5-12 different 'mons to catch.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 28, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
i didn't save the log so nope can't do that actually (okay I could probably get the log from the seed, which I did save) but I have it in catch 'em all mode so I should be able to complete the pokedex one way or another, eventually.

I tried recording an update on true random and spent two hours walking back and forth on route 19, decided I had probably found them all, went back to the pokemon center and then on my way to flocessy I ran into a poke that I hadn't seen before. That is when I decided that true random was not feasible for me to LP (or even really play because GOTTA GET ALL THE POKEMANS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE)

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

i didn't save the log so nope can't do that actually (okay I could probably get the log from the seed, which I did save) but I have it in catch 'em all mode so I should be able to complete the pokedex one way or another, eventually.

I tried recording an update on true random and spent two hours walking back and forth on route 19, decided I had probably found them all, went back to the pokemon center and then on my way to flocessy I ran into a poke that I hadn't seen before. That is when I decided that true random was not feasible for me to LP (or even really play because GOTTA GET ALL THE POKEMANS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE)

You're becoming me. Don't be me! I've spent over 24 hours (not including reloads and not in one straight shot) trying to finish each group and I still only managed half of them by badge 4. Shaking grass required saving and reloading while counting to 10 to make sure something new popped up and today, that method stopped working for me for some reason so now it involves walking into and out of normal grass in different directions, or just regenerating the shaking grass and calling it a day.

Fishing isn't even available until post-game in this generation (Why in Arceus' name would you do that?) and surf is still not available. Still, by the time I've exhausted all land groups, I'll probably be finished with the dex. Using your settings you have at most 2 chances of meeting each species. You will have to go through almost EVERY surfing, fishing, rare surfing, and rare fishing group available though you only have to worry about 2-5 possible encounters per group per area.

It's OK if you don't finish every encounter. You can probably use a game shark to modify encounters if you really need to show them off.

In summary, if you're trying to show off all 649 species, you're gonna have a bad time.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
it's too late for me, friend, but maybe your words will save someone else.

I didn't manage to finish the update today like I was hoping to because of easter stuff, so here's a preview instead

Happy Easter everyone, may the egglaphant sing you to sweet dreams

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Regarding votes: how about including only the 20 or so highest level 'mons in the poll? That would usually end up having your current party plus stuff recently caught, which is what most people will probably be intrested in anyway. It would also save you time on grinding.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roro posted:

It's bad enough normally, let alone having to do it for every single body of water.

My first randomized game was Platinum and I quickly came to realize every honey tree had randomized lists. Think of the trouble Jolyne's already mentioned with rustling grass, now apply it to a mechanic where you need to apply a consumable item and come back later. :suicide:

Meanwhile in my own playthrough, I shuffled my team a little bit. I've still got Barbatos the Metagross, Mayhem the Houndoom, and Valoria the Shelgon, but I added the following:
-Prescott the Tirtouga from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of naming water-types after nautical people. My Oshawott is named Horatio and I played with a Wingull named Nimitz for a little bit),
-Toccata the Murkrow, also from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of using musical terms if I can't think of a more fitting name),
-and Kaminagi the Tynamo from Chargestone Cave. (It is a Japanese pun/portmanteau, and not the one they actually use for the species: Kaminari is thunder, unagi is eel. :v:)

All three of whom have evolved now, although I'm debating evolving Kaminagi the rest of the way now or later. I will, I just don't know if I want some poison moves on him or not.

I also played around a little with a Ninjask (Named Speedwagon, in homage to this LP/Jojo's) and a Vanillish (Named Drippy), but wasn't happy with their lack of bulk.

I've got five PC boxes nearly full with no repeats (Except the Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff line, because they're adorbs and I caught them backwards, and a spare Snorunt for Glalie/Froslass), nearly enough Grass-type starters to form a full team (And I could add Pansage or Deerling to round it out), and enough fossil pokemon for a full team on their own (If you count Relicanth).

And it occurs to me I've barely caught a quarter of them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dareon posted:

Gotta Catch A LotTM

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dareon posted:

My first randomized game was Platinum and I quickly came to realize every honey tree had randomized lists. Think of the trouble Jolyne's already mentioned with rustling grass, now apply it to a mechanic where you need to apply a consumable item and come back later. :suicide:

Meanwhile in my own playthrough, I shuffled my team a little bit. I've still got Barbatos the Metagross, Mayhem the Houndoom, and Valoria the Shelgon, but I added the following:
-Prescott the Tirtouga from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of naming water-types after nautical people. My Oshawott is named Horatio and I played with a Wingull named Nimitz for a little bit),
-Toccata the Murkrow, also from Reversal Mountain (Continuing my trend of using musical terms if I can't think of a more fitting name),
-and Kaminagi the Tynamo from Chargestone Cave. (It is a Japanese pun/portmanteau, and not the one they actually use for the species: Kaminari is thunder, unagi is eel. :v:)

All three of whom have evolved now, although I'm debating evolving Kaminagi the rest of the way now or later. I will, I just don't know if I want some poison moves on him or not.

I also played around a little with a Ninjask (Named Speedwagon, in homage to this LP/Jojo's) and a Vanillish (Named Drippy), but wasn't happy with their lack of bulk.

I've got five PC boxes nearly full with no repeats (Except the Hoppip/Skiploom/Jumpluff line, because they're adorbs and I caught them backwards, and a spare Snorunt for Glalie/Froslass), nearly enough Grass-type starters to form a full team (And I could add Pansage or Deerling to round it out), and enough fossil pokemon for a full team on their own (If you count Relicanth).

That Iron Blooded Metagross though.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This LP is with a thing I never knew existed, pokemon randomizer, for a game I have never played in a series I love. This LP is good and thank you for teaching me things.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Loving the LP so far. I've just begun a Pokémon journey in Black with my Poison-type Vanillite.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 4.2: How Does That Grab You

Well, last time I got way grumpier than I should have been, but today it's early in the morning and I'm determined to make some new friends! A whole lot of new friends! Like, more than a dozen new friends. Strap in folks, there's gonna be a lot of words about pokemons in this update. But first, let's talk to all of the people who were surely staring at us sleeping on that table all night.

: "I didn't know that!"

I did, I talked about it last update! I did realize that I haven't talked about something with shops though!

The bottom shop has special stuff depending on the place you're in! This is the first time the shops have more than just the useless mail and, honestly, these balls are sort of useless too. The net ball (which is 3x effective when used on water or bug type pokemon) at least could have some use, though not as much as normal when you can buy them in preparation for an are that has a lot of, well, bugs and fish. The Heal Ball, on the other hand, is totally useless at this point aside from being pretty, since we'll always have a team of six and pokemon will be healed already because they're sent to the PC. More useful when you can get them before you have access to 25 pokemon (or even before you have access to like a dozen in the base game). Anyway, I don't buy any of these!

I'm doing a screenshot let's play, is this answer really surprising?

"Then, which one are you interested in:"

Yeah, that table was surprisingly comfortable.

: "At least, that's what Roxie told me. Roxie's a Gym Leader‘! She plays an instrument. Pretty cool!"

She did seem pretty cool, but I'm not really a fan of giving kids bad pokemon advice! Fighting poison with poison will just lead to a slow and dull battle. Anyway, no free stuff in this Center, so let's go catch some pokes!

First stop is Floccesy Ranch, where we spend like a minute running back and forth next to this patch of grass before it starts shaking.

Shaking grass has a really cool battle-start animation that I will probably gif at some point, but for now y'all just get to see the weird, stretchy stills! Also neat, a blimp!

A very scary blimp! Intimidate lowers the attack of all opponents by one stage when the pokemon with that ability enters battle, and Hyper beam is, well, hyper beam. (Though actually Hyper Beam is really nonthreatening because of the recharge turn :ssh:)

oops, thought intimidate would take enough of the edge off that crunch wouldn't be a 1HKO. Well, guess I gotta find another!

By the numbers!

Aww :3: Little blimp lady's just too light to go against the wind, but she wants to help anyway!

Nancy's in a hurry! Her speed is boosted but defense is lowered. Ghost/Flying is a neat type combo, giving her 3 immunities and resistances without any double weaknesses, and it's unique to her line! Drifblim have amazing HP and decent special attack with average speed and attack and terrible defenses. She might be able to take a hit and can deal some damage in return, but with her terrible defenses her huge health won't amount to all that much. Unfortunately, Nancy isn't scary like some of her species, and the ability that she has instead is pretty bad, being both weather based and reliant on the opponent using status. A shame, since Intimidate could have worked really well for her! (I mean, I could go back and catch another since Drifblim is the common grass-shaker here, but I don't want to be a Paul.)

Her moves are decent! Shadow claw is ghost-type Slash, slightly below-average damage with an increased critical rate, it is basically the staple physical ghost move. Roost heals a pokemon for half of their HP and (if they have flying type) removes their flying type until they use another move. Hyper Beam is Hyper Beam, and Submission is actually a pretty bad attack. Average power and 80& accuracy with a 25% recoil.

Overall, Nancy is pretty decent! Her moves aren't bad, her stats are pretty good and her ability is not a hindrance at least, and could ~magically~ become something way better if she gets put on the team!

Actually, at this point, I think it's about time I talk a little bit about NUMBERS, or, rather, the lack thereof in my descriptions. As you probably knew already or may have concluded, all of the stats that I'm talking about have like, hard numbers that define them and can tell you exactly how any pokemon would stack up against another in a vacuum, but really I'm trying not to make that the focus of the LP, so instead of just presenting the NUMBERS I'm trying to use words and stuff and emphasize what's good about each pokemon, whereas NUMBERS seem to be way more cold and objective and bleh. For those of you interested in the numbers, how stats work is that every single pokemon starts at a theoretical level 0 where every one of their stats is 5, except HP is 10. Each time a pokemon levels up, its stats are guaranteed to go up by at least 1/50th of its Base Stat Value for that specific stat (or by that value+1 in the case of HP) with a bunch of other little modifiers called IVs and EVs that can cause the stat to go up more. I've not been ignoring these numbers in the slightest on my end, and in fact have been using them to decide the language I use to describe a pokemon's strenghts and weaknesses! I've been using 80 to mean average in every stat (and also for attack power), calling stats between 85 and 100 above average, 100-120 good and 120+ great (with it inversed for negative stats), and also whenever I'm talking about a pokemon's stats I'm talking about their fully-evolved forms, which I realize only now might be a little confusing. Move power is an entirely different thing, but I'm also using 80 as the "average" for move power. Anyway, that's my stuff about numbers, now I'm never going to reference them again until I talk about IVs and EVs.

Back to the pictures, I was running around to see if there was anywhere better to run back and forth for shaking grass and encountered some shaking grass, which had the 10% encounter rate pokemon! How lucky!

Seismic Toss has always looked super impressive despite being a pretty bad move, and this strong boy is shoved into a ball because of his hubris.

Ah, the construction worker, a naturally-occurring species in Unova.

Hodo is Jolly, which is a nature I don't actually have to look up! Jolly raises a pokemon's speed and lowers its special attack, which means that it's the one that basically every physical attacker wants. Hodo's a pure fighting type and will stay that way basically forever. His attack is gonna be fantastic, HP and Defense are good and everything else is below-average to bad. He's very bulky and powerful, which works, plus his ability is pretty neat! It makes moves with recoil (like submission) 20% stronger, and there are a few really good fighting moves that fit that description!

Unfortunately, none of those moves are the ones that he has right now, which are pretty bad. Detect we have talked about before, and it's still a good defensive move. Seismic Toss is bad, it is a fixed-damage move that does damage equal to the user's level, which is only useful in very niche circumstances, and "on a pokemon with great attack" is not one of them. Triple Kick is a move that I sorely wish was good. It's a multihit move, but it works differently from every other multihit move. It does 3 separate accuracy checks (each at 90%), and for each of those that hit the move hits again for 100% more damage. This means that it misses 10% of the time, does laughable damage 9% of the time, does lovely damage 8% of the time and deals below-average damage 73% of the time. Honestly it could be doubled in power and still be a bad move, but then at least it would still have a chance at doing something resembling good damage. Mean Look prevents opponents from switching out, which is sort of useful but there are attacks that do the same thing while also dealing damage.

Overall, Hodo has great potential, but right now he's in sort of a bad place, with only one really bad attacking move. But anyway, that's it for pokemon in the grass on Floccesy Ranch! We'll be back once we can surf, but that won't be for a while.

Back in the dark grass where Hugh is still hangin' out, we've got 5 more pokemon to catch! The pokemon in this dark grass are actually around the same level as my party, which means that it's not just a piece-of-cake, run away or 1-shot all the pokemon I don't want to catch sort of thing, so I had to make frequent runs to the pokemon center trying to find all of them. Y'all are just getting the highlight reel, though!

I don't know why I was leading with Honey at this point, since she's my only poke with absolutely no way to make capturing easier aside from dealing damage.

And even that she's surprisingly bad at!

This elephant is full of eggs and secrets.

Very annoying secrets.

Okay, good, yawn came into effect, now I should be able to send out Honey, hit this lady with another aqua tail to send her into the red and then we'll be good.

Or she can wake up literally as soon as possible and drill Honey into the ground with leaves. I guess that can happen too.

Secret Power continues to be annoying.

I think I might have used this at some point in the alternate dimension? Regardless, I didn't use it in this dimension, so I'm using it now.

Sorry, Nena. You'll get your day soon, girl. A couple turns later, Donphan is asleep again and I can start with the catching!

Well gently caress. This is gonna be a pain, isn't it?

... Three more great balls and 2 potions later.

Man, after that battle I believe this obviously-exaggerated, written by a 14-year-old pokedex entry.

Pff, gentle. Special defense goes up, normal defense goes down. Pure ground type, which is normally pretty good offensively, since Earthquake is such a good move. Donphan has above average HP, great attack and defense and sort of bad everything else. Nicola's ability, Filter, actually helps her out a hell of a lot, as a bulky attacker. Filter makes it so that Super-effective moves only do 75% damage (1.5x damage instead of 2x and double-super effective moves would do 3x instead of 4x, but Nicola is single-type so that wouldn't matter), which is why Honey's Aqua Tail did so little damage. Overall, her stats and ability complement each other really well! What about her moves?

Egg-Bomb is very appropriate considering I caught her on Easter, but is not a great move otherwise. High power, but only 75% accurate and normal type, so it's not super-effective against anything. Mud Shot is, unfortunately, one of four ground type moves that are bad for Nicola, since it's special instead of physical. Aside from that, it's a decent move! Sort of weak, but accurate and it lowers the target's speed when it hits. Gras Pledge is another move designed primarily for double battles, and is basically useless outside of them in this generation. Perfect accuracy, but bad power and no secondary effect, plus it uses Nicola's bad stat. Secret Power is about as good for Nicola as it is for Hootie, with its decent power and 30% chance to do status stuff. I'd get rid of Egg Bomb before it, at least!

A lot like Hodo, Nicola has a ton of potential, but isn't quite living up to it right now. At the very least, though, she has more than one actual attack, and unlike Hodo she doesn't have an evolution coming that would put her back in the running for votes later (though I could catch her unevolved form and use one of them, and they would be back in the running once they evolved, so don't worry too much while voting!) Moving on, we've got 4 more friends to catch just in the dark grass!

Oh, hey, a double battle! Like Cheren said, sometimes you'll run into these in Dark Grass, which makes it even better for grinding since those let you train up two pokemon at once. It does present some weirdness when trying to catch pokemon though.

The first is that the pokemon that you want to catch has to be the only pokemon on the field in order for them to be catchable. The second will come up later!

Foul Play is a weird move, it's strong and perfectly accurate, but it uses the target's attack stat to determine damage instead of the user's. This lets pokemon that focus on special attacks or being defensive have a nice answer to high-attack pokemon that they can't deal with normally, and hurts Honey real bad.

Despite Honey's misfortune, Crawdaunt is caught with the very first pokeball I throw (I used up all of my great balls catching Nicola :arghfist:)

Strong Crawdad, tossing out intruders!

Apparently he tosses them out because he's Bashful! Aww, little shy Crawdad. Well, relatively little, he's still 3'07". Following the sort-of trend that we've been establishing this update, Guthrie's got really good attack and decent defense! Bucking that trend, he's also got decent special-attack, but poor HP, Special Defense and Speed. He also has (in this generation) a unique type combination! Dark and Water are stats with literally no overlap, which leaves Guthrie with a bunch of resistances, an immunity, a handful of weaknesses and a good number of types that he's super effective against, with no type resisting both of his types. Generally, the term used for this is Perfect Neutral Coverage, and that's what I'll use from now on as well! His ability, unfortunately, is nothing to write home about, and is especially disappointing compared to his normally stellar ability, but unlike Medicham, he doesn't rely completely on his ability to be useful.

His moves are also fairly decent! Water pulse is a sort of weak, but accurate special attack with a 20% chance to confuse, which is still decent! Foul Play is not great for Guthrie since normally he'd prefer to use his own stellar attack stat, but it's strong and gets STAB so it's more than enough for this part of the game. Water Gun is the basic water type move, and will probably be replaced at the first opportunity, and Withdraw raises his defense by one stage, so it'll also probably be replaced soon. There's an 80% chance that he can learn that Crunch TM we have as well, which would give him a really good attack that actually works off of his own attack stat. Pretty good!

Guthrie is one tough crustacean already, but he has plenty of room to grow and learn new moves to become even better! Watch out for them pinchers though.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Note that Crawdaunt never had a unique type combination; Carvanha and Sharpedo were introduced in the same generation.

I have been once again proven wrong and given an example of why I should double check before I make these statements! For some reason I always forget that Sharpedo is still dark type before mega-evolving.

After this fight, I decide to go explore Virbank to see if there's any free stuff being given out/pokeballs to find because, well, I'm almost out and I've still got 9 more pokemon to catch.

Trash medicine!

: "and now they're very buff!"

Cool, mine have been destroying dads over and over.

Children exist to teach children about pokemans, apparently.

: "Just in case your Pokémon gets burned, please use this on the Pokémon."

: "’Cause a Pokémon's HP and Attack stat go down when it's burned. It'll be in a mess."

Neat! That could be useful at some point. Thanks teacher lady! Work on your grammar though, a dependent clause can't stand on its own! All you gotta do is make that period into a comma.

... I'm a writing tutor, and now that I've done this I've definitely opened myself up to Muphry's Law.

I just like this line! It's a nice sentiment that I always enjoy seeing.

To the east we've got more houses and also the gym I guess??? Small building.

Well, it's time to get more excited kid, because I'm gonna tell you about a guy who's married to Reshiram...
the entire time that child was running up and down I was trying and failing to talk to him. :sweatdrop:

: "My grandchild was also visiting Pokémon Gyms with his Pokémon in various places and collecting Badges."

: "A group of people who identified themselves as Team Plasma tried to control Unova under the hero who was with the legendary black Pokémon, Zekrom."

Now, this guy's got some interesting information to tell us! Apparently even though Team Plasma was definitely bad, their leader is still seen as a hero for his ability to tame Zekrom, and if you played Black or White then you would know that he was actually a pretty cool guy! It's nice that he's not remembered as a terrible person because of his association with a bunch of people who he didn't know were doing some really bad poo poo.

: "But, know what I did? I caught a Magnemite in the complex, and I was just fine! Here. I’ll give you these, so go catch a Magnemite or something!"

Neat! This guy gave us five pokeballs, though I'm not actually gonna go to the complex and catch pokemon yet, because I don't need to do writeups on 14 more pokes this update. Probably won't catch a Magnemite either, but who knows!

This must be the boat that Roxie's dad (who is apparently named Pop Roxie, uuuuugh) runs between here and the mainland.

Yep, still don't care about medals, not even going to transcribe the rest of your message because fuuuuck that.

: "It's getting hard to buy tickets to their shows lately! ♪ Maybe they'll go on a world tour soon!"

Huh, I wonder if Roxie's gonna participate in any sort of Wourld Tour... Hmmm.

: "Its Keen Eye Ability has helped me so many times!"

Keen Eye is an ability that prevents a Pokémon's accuracy from being lowered and makes it ignore the evasion stat of its opponents, so yeah it could be super useful in the early game when everyone an their mother has sand attack.

Audino are pretty cute, and if yours is anywhere near as tough as that teacher lady I fought he could be a super good action movie star!

whoah I had no idea that pokemon change shape wow (this is actually the requisite "hey your pokemon will learn moves faster if you don't evolve them" tutorial NPC)

Poké Toys are literally just cat toys that you use to distract a wild pokemon so you can run away. They're also worth 500 pokedollars, so that's what I'm using this one for.

This is the next area we're supposed to go to to get a few levels before the gym, but I'm just here to pick up a few things.

X Accuracy used to be loving broken and just made it so your attacks never missed, now it just raises your accuracy by one stage. It sells for a lot though!

Yeah, this guy just gives you a great ball for a pokeball, no strings attached, and will do so once a day. It's pretty neat! That's everything in this part of the town (or so I thought, I actually missed two really valuable items), so let's go buy more pokeballs and get back to catching!

Oh, something I've forgotten to show off! When you buy 10 pokeballs...

oh this is one of the places where the fastest text option breaks things. Oops. Anyway, when you buy 10 pokeballs, you get a premiere ball for free! It's literally just a pretty pokeball. Back to catching!

FIESTA!!!

Star Me just barely avoids getting owned again. Don't worry, it's coming.

I think this took 3 or 4 balls, but that's not nearly as bad as if they were great balls.

FIESTA!!!

A bashful fiesta! Perfidia is (if you didn't know) the fully-evolved form of Lotad, so all that stuff I said about stats and type and stuff applies here too! Pretty balanced stats, above average special attack and good special defense, unique typing that gives him alright defenses and offense. This does bring me to something that I've forgotten to mention, though, and that is that when our pokemon evolve, their abilities are going to change! Perfidia's ability, Cloud Nine, makes it so that weather will just not happen when they're around, which can be useful sometimes, blocking sun makes it so that his water type moves won't get weakened, but he'll block rain too. It also means that he's super happy, so that's cool!

His moves are also pretty cool! Water Spout is a sort of unique move, with its power being dependant on its user's HP! It starts out as strong as Hyper Beam and gets weaker the more damage the user has taken, and it hits both enemies in double battles, as that gif showed. It stays pretty good up until half HP, where its damage is only slightly below average. Octazooka we're familiar with. Bubblebeam is as strong as Octazooka, but perfectly accurate and has a 10% chance to lower the target's speed. Rapid Spin is a really weak move that is coveted in competitive because it gets rid of entry hazards, which we'll probably see at some point.

Perfidia is festive and focused and pretty dang good, though I'd sort of feel like I'm stepping on Hugh's toes if I used him, regardless of how great he is or has the potential to be. Now let's skip past ten minutes of me running around the dark grass aaaand...

Pupper! (alternate comment: More like Bark Void)

oops, sorry pupper.

Move it forgets Weather Ball for Metal Claw, since Metal Claw will hit rock types harder than any of his other moves. Power is low, 95% accuracy, 10% chance to raise the user's attack by one stage. It's not great but it's physical and Move It doesn't need 3 normal moves.

I think this was a double battle with an arena trap Swablu and a Corphish that I couldn't run away from in the fifteen minutes I spent searching for another Houndour.

Ah, here it is, the time when I explain the other problem with catching pokemon in double battles: When you throw a ball, that's all you're able to do that turn. Because of this, Houndour woke up and ko'ed Star Me. There's the Star Me own of the update right there. Also oops guess this pupper's on a countdown now.

Oh, cool, guess that wasn't a problem.

Smart pup! ... I wonder if any of the pokedex entries for Houndour talk about where it got the skeleton that it wears from... Nope, it's all about how smart they are. Huh.

Another Jolly pokemon! Unfortunately, this time it's on one that relies on Special Attack. Great special, above-average Speed and attack, average HP and Special Defense and bad defense makes Disrespect a pretty good pokemon overall! Dark/Fire is also a unique type combo which is pretty good defensively, with 6 resists, 1 immunity and 4 weaknesses. It also hits a bunch of types super-effectively! Suction Cups is a weird ability and one that won't be that useful, but hey it'll change when she evolves and it's not an active hindrance! The nature is unfortunate, but her attack is high enough that she can use physical attacks if she has to! Speaking of which...

Dark Void is a move (you guessed it!) that is normally exclusive to a legendary pokemon! It's 80% accurate and hits both foes in a double battle, putting them to sleep. It's decent! I've talked about Assurance before, and it's still pretty okay! Gimmicky and weird, but not unusable. Wing Attack is the basic flying move, weak but accurate and with a ton of PP. Swords Dance raises Attack by two stages, once again working to make up for her unfortunate nature. As with Guthrie, Disrespect also has an 80% chance to be able to use our Crunch TM to get an even better dark move, which would probably replace Assurance!

Disrespect may not respect us, but we should respect her!

After I caught Disrespect I got fed up with the dark grass and figured "Hey, I can just go catch the last pokemon in the area in the normal grass, since I got the one that replaced the Dark Grass only pokemon."

And hey, there he is

And there he goes. Oops.

Oh, hey, Seadra, right! They're... here. Oh. It was at this point that I realized that the encounter tables for dark grass and normal grass were randomized separately, and I actually had 5 more pokemon to catch in this area (plus the 2 rustling grass pokes). :sigh: Whatever, I caught her without any difficulties.

Oh no, that's horrible! She's fled the ocean and is hiding in grass from crazy people who don't realize that if traditional medicine actually worked it would just be medicine.

Sierra is also gentle! She's also a pretty good pokemon! Right now her special-attack and defense are above average with everything else being sort of low, but once she evolves she'll have about average Speed and HP and above-average everything else, making her very flexible and able to work with a ton of movesets! She'll also pick up dragon type, which makes her pretty good defensively, with just 1 weakness and a few resistances, most of which are double resists. For now she's just a vanilla water type, though, which is still decent! Her ability is less good than it could be since she's pretty fast, and going first already prevents flinching.

Her moves are mostly strong but with drawbacks! Final Gambit is a weird one, it causes the user to faint but deals the amount of HP they had remaining to the target. Mostly gimmicky and not great compared to, like, explosion. Hydro Pump is a classic move, very strong but only 80% accurate. Still pretty usable, at least until it gets nerfed in the next games. Quick Attack is weak but always goes first (well, "always," I'll talk about priority later). Giga Impact is physical hyper beam. Like, that's literally it, it was introduced in Gen IV when the physical/special split was introduced so that pokemon that used to be good at hyper beam would still be able to use it.

Sierra is a pokemon that you wouldn't want to miss(t)!

Oh, good, another one and he's planning something nasty! Luckily...

He's caught without much trouble! As it turns out, Nena's relative wimpiness is a blessing as well as a curse, because she's been instrumental in weakening these low-level pokemon that I still needed to catch.

Does Deino not have eyes or does it just need a haircut? :iiam:

Relaxed Ringo! Lowered speed, increased defense. Ringo is the baby form of one of them Pseudolegendaries I talked about when fighting Cheren. All of his stats are above average, with his attack and speed being good and his Special Attack being great. He's also (once again!) got a unique typing that gives him 6 resists, 1 immunity and 4 weaknesses! It's not quite so good offensively, as it's only super-effective against 3 types and both Dark and Dragon are resisted by Steel, but you don't win 'em all. His ability is a double edged sword, partially cancelling out his resistance to fire type (fire type moves will do 25% more damage, meaning they'll do 62.5% damage instead of 50) but causing water type moves to heal him for 1/8th of his health instead of dealing damage. He also heals for 1/8th of his health every turn in the rain, but is damaged for the same amount in the sun.

His moves are pretty fantastic as well! Spacial Rend is the signature move of Palkia, and is as strong as Earthquake, 95% accurate and has an increased critical hit ratio. Nasty Plot is Swords Dance for Special Attack, and is a move that many people wish the Deino line could have normally. Knock off is actually terrible in these games, wow. Its power is half what the basic attacks (water gun, ember, etc) are, plus pokemon very rarely hold items in the single player so it can't even do its gimmick of knocking them away. In the next games it was made more than three times as powerful, plus it does 50% extra damage when it knocks the target's item away. Dragon Claw is the by-the-numbers physical attack for dragon types, average power, perfect accuracy, no secondary effect.

Ringo could go on to be quite the star if we decided to use him!

More sea-creatures in this update! And cute ones at that!

I wonder how cold it is on that sea known as the internet.

Rose is a humble Seel! Special Attack up, normal attack down. As a bit of a tubber, Rose is pretty balanced, but with above average HP and Special Defense and below average Speed and attacking stats. Right now she's just water type, but she'll also be ice type once she evolves! She also has... quick feet? I don't see any feets there, but all right! Quick Feet helps take the sting out of status moves, especially paralysis, where it nullifies the speed loss and then multiplies speed by 1.5. It also halves the encounter rate if the pokemon is at the front of your party, which can be useful when you just need to get through a place and aren't worried about grinding or catching pokemon.

Her moves are good! Head Charge (which is called Afro Break in Japanese) is normal type Wood Hammer, but with a 1/4 recoil instead of 1/3. Foresight I think we've talked about already, but it nullifies an opponent's evasion boosts and lets normal or fighting type moves hit them on the next turn if they are a ghost. Scald is fantastic, it has average power and perfect accuracy in addition to a 30% chance to burn the target. Agility raises the user's speed by two stages, continuing Rose's trend of having ways to make herself a surprisingly fast tubber!

Rose is solid all around and she's breaking trends, plus she looks like she wants to give us a big ol' doggie kiss with that tongue floppin' out.

Next up is Tur-

-twig. Huh. Well, we'll get 'em next-

-time. Third time's the charm?

There we go!

Lil' dirtbutt. :3:

Bart is Impish, which lowers Special Attack and raises Defense! This is pretty good for him, since he's got good attack and defense, with above average HP! Speed is low, other stats are average. He's a turtle, what do you expect? He's also got a unique type combination once he evolves all the way, but for now he's just grass type! His ability is also familiar to us, Nena has it! 10% chance each to Poison, Paralyze or Put to Sleep any pokemon that uses a contact move against him.

His moves are pretty decent as well, though some variety would be appreciated. Wood Hammer is actually one of the attacks that is associated with Turtwig's line, it's as strong as Hydro Pump or Thunder with perfect accuracy, but it has a 1/3rd recoil. Razor Leaf has low power, good accuracy and a high critical hit ratio. Synthesis heals the user for 50% of their health (66.6% in the sun, 25% in other weather). Bullet Seed is the first actually good traditional multi-hit move that one of our pokemon have had, with its power averaging out around, well, average!

It's just like Bart to be pretty radical, dudes! Cowabunga.

Apparently I ran into rustling grass completely on accident here, which tricks me into looking for a pokemon that did not exist like half an hour later. Fun!

Anyway, another uneventful capture!

Drill, baby, drill!

Earthshake(r) is Relaxed, which is unfortunate because speed is one of his good stats! Right now his Attack and Speed are really good, and when he evolves his HP and Attack will be really good (especially attack), with above average speed and low everything else, which makes him a focused, powerful dude! We saw an Excadrill earlier, so we know how scary they can be. His ability, unfortunately, is almost a dealbreaker. It does exactly what is said there, which can actually be pretty useful on a normal type pokemon! Earthshake is ground type, though, so it means that he's gonna lose STAB on everything.

It's double unfortunate because he has a decent moveset! Sand Attack lowers the foe's accuracy, and Dig is a classic (if not great) attack. Dig on one turn, come up the next to attack! The AI won't take advantage of the charge period like a human player can, so it's more than usable in the single-player campaign. Bulldoze does below-average damage but always lowers the target's speed (and it hits everyone adjacent to the user in multi-battles). Crush claw has average power and good accuracy and lowers the target's defense 50% of the time.

Earthshaker isn't really groundbreaking, especially with that ability, but he'll hopefully be solid once he evolves! Definitely Steel at least.

Since I still had one more pokemon to catch in the dark grass, I went and bought some repel to improve my chances. You see, I figured that whatever pokemon was left had replaced the pokemon that only had a 5% appearance rate, who had a chance to be anywhere between levels 9 and 11. The three most common pokemon in the dark grass cap at level 10, so by leading with a level 11 pokemon and using a repel, I could change my chance of encountering it from 5% to 14%, nearly tripling it!

It didn't actually work, but I'm gonna edit the update to cleverly make it seem like it did.

This big ol' dinosaur exists to constantly create that one scene from Jurassic Park.

Impish! It's as good here as it was on Bart, possibly better even. ShakeYaBod is another Pseudolegendary, but this time all growed up! She's got good stats in everything but speed and fantastic attack. She's also, once more, got a unique type combination! Unfortunately, her type combination leaves her with just as many weaknesses as resistances, and a 4x weakness to offset her immunity. Rock is, however, a pretty good offensive type with no overlap with dark, so she's great on the offensive! Her ability is also pretty good, though a bit redundant. It doubles up her fire resistance, which makes fire basically a non-issue period.

Offsetting her great stats is her sort of lovely moveset, though. Sandstorm creates, well, a sandstorm, which damages non-rock, steel and ground type pokemon for 1/16th of their hp at the end of each turn, plus it increases the special defense of rock type pokemon by 50%, so it's not useless or anything. Low Sweep is a fighting type Bulldoze (until next gen, when its power was raised by 5 to get rid of its synergy with the ability Technician). Taunt prevents the target from using non-attacking moves for 5 turns. Teleport flees from wild battles and can bring you back to the last pokemon center you rested at.

ShakeYaBod could be great, but her moveset is keeping her from strutting it up.

There's only one more pokemon to find here, and I had a little trouble finding them. To illustrate why, let's head to the other side of Route 20!

You see that ripple in the water? Well, that thing runs off of the same mechanics as the Shaking Grass, and it can't exist at the same time as the shaking grass. Basically every grass patch on this route is close enough to water that these can appear instead, so searching for it was a huge pain. Regardless...

There we go! Oh, look, it's a Smash Brother. We catch him, of course.

An Empathetic Brother.

A Brave Brother, slow to get into things but he makes his hits count. Lumberjack's a Lucario, so his bulk is below average but both attacking stats are pretty good and speed is above average! His type combination, while not unique, is pretty dang good! 2 strong resistances, 6 normal resistances and only 3 weaknesses. Unfortunately, there is almost nothing in this gen that is hit super-effectively by steel that isn't also hit for the same by fighting, so it's not great offensively (or, rather, not greater than fighting on its own). Rock Head is not a great ability in a vacuum, but if Lumberjack picks up a good recoil move like Head Smash or Volt Tackle or Brave Bird it could be invaluable.

His moves are also pretty good! Storm Throw is weird, it has the same power as a basic attack, but it always crits which brings the power up to, well, average. This does have a little use over another move with the same effective power, ignoring boosts to defenses or lowered attack, and it's not a bad move by any means (and holy poo poo I just realized that I could get a Technician pokemon with Storm Throw, which would be bonkers). Triple Kick, on the other hand... well, we've already talked about it. Iron Head is the staple physical steel move, with average power, perfect accuracy and a 30% chance to cause the target to flinch. Metal Claw we have also talked about, and it's not bad!

Lumberjack is way more than okay, he's actually pretty great! And he was the last pokemon on this route, so we finally escape my endless stream of :words:. Now that we're done, let's go to the movie studio to fix those family issues!

: "It’s a movie studio, but right now auditions are in progress... They're having a look at the captain’s acting. No unauthorized people allowed!"

O... Oh. I guess I actually have to do the gym and then I can fix a family. Well, let's get on that I guess.

I have no idea what this means.

I assume that this was posted by Roxie, but she also plays the guitar so I'd assume she'd mention that as well! Maybe she just plays bass and is embarrassed? I know just enough about music to know that playing bass is looked down upon, but not enough to be able to look at Roxie's guitar and tell if it's a bass guitar.

: "The Gym Leader and the others are practicing inside, but please feel free to challenge all of them! Oh! You'll need to stay hydrated. Here you go!"

And he gives us a Fresh Water. Nice dude all around.

... Am I even old enough to be in a club? ... Is it uncool to go to a club at 11 in the morning? Maybe I'll wait a bit...

While I'm waiting, it's time for y'all to vote on our team for the next gym! As always, the top 5 choices will be the team we use up until, well, the gym after this one! Also as always, argue for your faves, tell everyone why they shouldn't subject me to the incredibly boring torture of using ShakeYaBod and her one move, or whatever in the thread! (check the next post to see the current-team roundup and remind yourself how these guys look!)

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 3, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Since it's been a while, let's check out the current team to refresh the memories of all y'all voting on what these little dudes look like!

First up is Nena, who is not and never will be up for vote! She hasn't changed all that much yet, picking up Hone Claws and not much else, but she'll be changing a whole lot pretty soon!

Then we've got Hootie, our most changed party member! Hootie has picked up a great poison move in Gunk Shot, an okay water move in Octazooka and a pretty good coverage move in Crunch! She's also leveled quite a bit, and is probably the best member of our team overall at this point.

Then we've got Move It, who is sort of a one-trick pony, but it's a pretty nice trick! He puts things to sleep and hits them with his head. Even if he's voted out, he'll probably still pop up from time to time because Yawn is so useful for catching stuff.

Star Me has dropped Thunder for Thunder Wave, which is really weird for me to type. He should still theoretically be something of a shitwrecker, but he just can't stop being owned. Will Star Me ever truly become a star? Only your votes will tell.

Honey is still sweet as can be! She's picked up Crunch, and Soak has proven to be way more valuable than I would have given it credit for. A solid choice, even if she's a bit outdated as a meme. Of all of the members of the team, she's the one that will show back up soonest if voted off, so maybe keep that in mind if you are a fan of both Honey and variety.

Last, but not least, is Slipknot. Slipknot's primary job these last few updates has been picking up the slack in the Honey Soak Combo after Star Me gets owned, but she's been doing a fantastic job at it! I'm a little afraid that she doesn't really have anywhere to develop to since she's already so solid, but I'd really like to see what she could do if she had started out as a Bonsly. Hmm...

Anyway, that's the refresher on our team! Get voting! I'll call the poll at noon PST on Friday, and then I'll record the update so hopefully I'll have it done by Saturday! Thanks for reading, y'all, sorry it took so long! All of the pokes in the poll are also in the second post if you want to take a glance and refresh yourself on what they're like!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 30, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Don't knock the netball Joylne. You never know when water or bugs will popup with the randomiser and drat if the catch rate isn't already stupidly loving low.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I was trying not to knock it too hard, but my first instinct when looking at the 1000 pokedollar special balls is to say "Okay, how does this stand up to the dusk ball?" which sort of colors my opinions on, well, basically every other ball that isn't the quick ball sometimes. I'll probably buy a couple net balls once I'm not literally out of money to have around just in case.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I was trying not to knock it too hard, but my first instinct when looking at the 1000 pokedollar special balls is to say "Okay, how does this stand up to the dusk ball?" which sort of colors my opinions on, well, basically every other ball that isn't the quick ball sometimes. I'll probably buy a couple net balls once I'm not literally out of money to have around just in case.

Quick ball and Timer ball are both the super powered ones IMO

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Note that Crawdaunt never had a unique type combination; Carvanha and Sharpedo were introduced in the same generation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will always vote for Star Me because every LP needs a butt monkey he's the star of the team now and forever. Also I really like the Shinx line.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Hodo is Jolly, which is a nature I don't actually have to look up!

You don't have to look up any of them! The stat screen marks the increased/decreased stats with a red/blue outline.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

ApplesandOranges posted:

oh, right, poo poo, I always forget that those guys aren't just water type.

Dragonwagon posted:

You don't have to look up any of them! The stat screen marks the increased/decreased stats with a red/blue outline.

That's actually what I meant, just that I didn't have to look at the other screenshot to see what it does, Jolly is like the one nature that I just immediately know what it does. This LP is forcing me to learn them a little better, though!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

You'll probably want to hunt down some more Seadra before you head on past Virbank. They (along with Horsea, Kingdra, Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite) are the only carriers of Dragon Scales, which you need to evolve Seadra in Kingdra! It's a 5% chance to find one though, so I hope you have a good Pokemon with an item stealing move.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I can also get one on Victory Road or from Join Avenue!!!

Yeah I'm gonna be coming back whenever I get a stealing move on someone. Also hoping I run into Luvdisc at some point because man I'm gonna need heart scales.

Or I could just use AR codes but where's the fun in that?

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I can also get one on Victory Road or from Join Avenue!!!

Yeah I'm gonna be coming back whenever I get a stealing move on someone. Also hoping I run into Luvdisc at some point because man I'm gonna need heart scales.

Or I could just use AR codes but where's the fun in that?

Or you could skip evolving and just catch one. I will have to rely on NPC shops since I randomized hold items, but eventually I will have access to master balls because of that too.

Also I hope you knew that Virbank has 2 different encounter groups: When you leave the city and enter the complex is table 1 and the screen transition south is table 2. Both have separate shaking grass tables. Luckily it only has one double grass table because only the south complex has double grass. It gets EVEN BETTER on later dungeons. Happy hunting!

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
yeah, I'm aware of that, which is why I ignored it completely before this poll. I didn't want to add 19 more duders to this already inflated poll, and the dungeon after that one only has 3 for now (thank god), so putting those together is way better than lumping them all here. Granted, if I had caught the normal grass pokemon on route 20 before cheren, that would have been only 30 new pokemon in this part of the poll instead of 34, but that's still way too much. There will only be ~20 new pokes in every poll from now until the 5th gym, where... Yeah. Between gym 4 and 5 there are 43 new pokemon, that will be a fun one.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
Randomizer runs are always fun to read, so I'll be following this.

I don't recall if you mentioned this or not yet, but I believe starting with Black/White, you can see which stats are affected by the pokemon's nature in the status screen. If the stat is boosted by the nature, it has a slight red tint, and if the stat is reduced, it then has a blue tint.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I thought I had mentioned that when I was talking about the starter's nature back in the second update, but huh, guess I didn't! I'll mention it the next time I catch a pokemon (so probably next update).

Another thing that I caught looking back through old updates: I accidentally called slipknot he in the original rundown I did of her stats and moves, which I'm sure is a thing that no one but me cares about, but I went back and fixed it now! (plus I added a mention that apparently Trump Card is one of the few special attacks that make contact)

Something I didn't know about these games that I discovered while planning for the future: Apparently you don't get access to the daycare until the postgame in B2W2. :psyduck:
This means that my plan to have Slipknot lay an egg with a little baby Bonsly in it is impossible to do until then, which is sort of lame. I was gonna use that baby as a convenient way to show off the weirdness that happens with super early evolved pokemon you can catch compared to using a little poke and raising them yourself, because that's something that I think is neat! I'll still be able to do so fairly well with Nena, but who knows when or if we'll encounter a Nidoqueen or Nidorina to compare her to?

Also, it looks like the top four spots for this team vote are pretty locked in, but the difference between 5th place and 10th is just one vote, so if you're reading this and haven't voted yet, hey, go do it! Your vote could push one of your faves into the party (or into the zone where I get to arbitrarily decide between all the pokes tied for 5th, where I just might pick 'em!) There's still about a day to go!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
When you get Surf, the surf tables encounter rates appear to be skewed in that in 60 encounters, I have only run into 'mons from the first 3-4 slots out of 7-12 per area. I have tried 3 different areas. Can anyone else confirm?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
Update 4.1.2016: I'm just a fool...

Hey everybody, welcome back! Sorry this update's a little late, got roped into Friday Night Magic for a friend's birthday and then I got the ol' 24 hour nerd flu. Anyway, last time we ran a poll, and it had some quite surprising results!

Because it's a new month, the season has changed! Now, when it's raining there'll be snow instead and there will also be snow pile's on the ground. Neat! Anyway, let's go get our team and then grind them up for the upcoming gym!

And here's the team we ended up with! I was pretty surprised, all things considered. Slipknot's still our good buddy, and we're seeing the return of LL, King Nat, but AllTiedUp in his leafy wrappings and Emma C. with her big ol' pants are brand new, never been-used before pokes!

Let's get right into it!

: "I balance the sound in the venue so it's easy to hear! Are you a trainer? So does that mean you're thinking about the type balance of the Pokémon in your party?".
: "She really brings out the charms of her Pokémon! But she's too wrapped up In what she's doing here..."

Two pretty cool dudes, one reminding kids to keep a good variety of pokes in their party, the other giving you a hint to the gimmick of this gym!

Roxie and her band are putting on a concert!

Because of this, Roxie can't hear our challenge, so we've gotta battle her bandmates first to get her to stop!

: "I'll knock you out too!"

Wow, rude.

Oh, neat! Lombre learns water spout just like Ludicolo. And oh, hey, I guess we've seen all 3 forms of Hugh's starter now.

No matter how much Lotad evolves, it'll still hate poison.

Oh, dang. Yeah, that makes sense. LL's special defense is really good, but her physical defense is, how you say, utter poo poo.

And it powers up from doing that! The move it used is Horn Leech, which is a grass type drain punch and was exclusive to Sawsbuck this generation, so it healed itself and it apparently has Speed Boost, one of the best abilities in the game, which makes its speed go up a stage at the end of every turn.

Poison still works pretty well, though! Now let's find out if this is a grass or water type gym.

Water it is!

Luvdisc is a cutie, though it's also sort of a gimmick pokemon. Single stage with bad-to-terrible stats in everything but speed, which is only above average. They exist basically exclusively to have Heart Scales stolen off of them, since they hold them 50% of the time, which are used to teach pokemon moves at the move relearner, who we will encounter later and will be a very good resource for us to have. Hopefully we will have found wild Luvdisc by then to steal from!

For now, though, this little gal's trying her best! Too bad Nena both uses a special attack and that her special attack gets rid of the defense boost from Skull Bash, though.

Yeah, I think we'll win this damage race. Nena replaced Poison Sting with Encore while she was leveling, so now Luvdisx is stuck using Skull Bash for the next 4-10 turns.

The little Luvdisc tried real hard, but our little mom came out on top!

: "I'm the one who got knocked out! That was exhilarating!"

Hey, yeah, he managed to KO one of our pokes! A quick trip to the center to fix that and...

:"playing the guitar or having a Pokémon battle!"

Cool! I'd like to learn how to play an instrument some day if it's half as fun as Pokémon.

Billy Jo is probably a reference to the lead singer of Green Day, but who knows! Surskit is a really cool bug that would be way cooler if it kept its unique typing when it evolved!

Oh, neat! U-turn is a move that hits fairly hard and then lets the user switch out to another one of their pokemon, which can be really useful to keep a frail pokemon from being hit on the switch or to get your pokemon out of the battle while still doing some damage. Drizzle makes it rain, we've seen it before!

Twineedle is a bug type attack that was unique to beedril up until this generation. It's fairly weak, but accurate and it hits twice, with each hit having a 20% chance to poison the target. In Gen II it could poison poison and steel types, but that bug was fixed in later games. Still, it's an appropriate move to use in this supposedly-poison-type gym.

I thought Hydro Cannon would be enough with the rain. I thought wrong.

It still turned out okay, though!

Oh, hey, Billy Jo sort of has a theme! Water types that are either bugs or look like them! Look at that butterfly tail. Also, abilities that mess with weather. Unfortunately, the rain would have been nothing but a benefit for little Finneon, the most forgettable fish. who is beaten without any issues.

Yeah, I'd be bummed knowing that Surskit evolves into another boring Flying/Bug type too.

: "It's because I'm with my Pokémon that I can happily play my guitar. And it's because I play my guitar that my Pokémon become strong. Get it?"

Got it! You're pretty cool, lady.

O-Okay. Wow that was sudden.

The ultimate jellyfish showdown!

... Yeah I think LL's gonna lose that one.

Heck yeah, just wait until you see my secret weapon!

I have made a poor tactical decision. So now I send out Emma C and

Whoah that was weird.

This could be bad for me, but on the bright side it means that if I can faint Frillish before 5 turns are up, Emma C. will definitely be able to outspeed whatever's next thanks to Swift Swim!

I felt that Hydro Pump coming from a mile away.

And there we go!

Gotta get AllTiedUp a little time in the spotlight since y'all voted for him. Plus, the rain was gone so Emma's advantage went with it.

Oh, shoot.

Oh, good. Grasswhistle is a sleep move that's only 55% accurate, but the gamble paid off here! Now I gotta switch AllTiedUp out because his only good moves are Blue Flare and Flamethrower.

And Nat beats Squirtle before he even wakes up.

Oh, that might be a problem. (Fun fact I learned while screenshotting this update: Double Team never actually duplicates the sprite of the user, it just moves between three positions fast enough that you start to see an after-image! Because of this, it's also really hard to capture it in a GIF, because you have to record it at 30 FPS to even get it to resemble working, and 60 to get it right. That's a lot of frames!)

Good, Nat still hit!

Oh, she's gonna spam it. Well, I'll wait for her to KO Nat and then send in Nena to get the kill with Clear Smog I guess.

Yup, here it comes...

Oh, I guess I got lucky on the damage roll. Good job, Nat!

Nah, I just got really lucky.

: "Sigh! What are you doing losing, Roxie?! Well…I guess that means you're strong! This stinks, but I gave it everything I had, and I feel revitalized and refreshed now! Here! Proof that you beat me!"

Neat, let's put it in the case!

: "Two Badges! Now Pokémon up to Lv. 30, even Pokémon you got in trades, will realize how good you are and won't ignore your commands! Also, here! Use this TM!"

Oh, that could be useful! Future Sight is a weird move, it's as strong as earthquake but it doesn't hit until two turns after it was used. If you know the battle is going to last that long, great, use it! Its damage was buffed even further in the next games, but right now it's still a decent move, especially as a TM so we can use it to replace some of the just bad moves that our pokes have been coming with. Anyway!

:
: "Keep on going on like this, and do all sorts of stuff!"

That's it for this update! One thing that I forgot to screenshot is that AllTiedUp changed forms since he was in a battle in a building! He looks like this now:

Thanks for reading everyone!

If you couldn't tell, this is a very late April Fool's update, which served as a good way to show off what Roxie's Gym looks like in the normal file! The actual update with the team y'all picked and the crazy gym, plus some of Virbank Complex will be here in a few days.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man I haven't played a randomizer in a long time. But I love your enthusiasm!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I assume that this was posted by Roxie, but she also plays the guitar so I'd assume she'd mention that as well! Maybe she just plays bass and is embarrassed? I know just enough about music to know that playing bass is looked down upon, but not enough to be able to look at Roxie's guitar and tell if it's a bass guitar.

It was impossible to tell from your previous screenshots, but now that we have this:

A guitar has six strings, and a bass has four. (Or five, six, seven, etc. depending on the musician, but mostly four. :v:) Roxie's bandmate has an instrument with six pegs coming off the top. Those are used to tune each individual string, meaning she plays a six-string instrument, probably a guitar. (Of course, she says that she plays the guitar, so that one's easy. :v:) Roxie only has four tuning pegs at the top of her instrument, meaning she almost certainly plays a bass. Or possibly an incredibly massive and unique ukelele. :getin:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Man I haven't played a randomizer in a long time. But I love your enthusiasm!

Thank you! I love pokemon so much and it has been a part of my life for basically as long as I remember, and I'm trying to show that in the updates! Of all 721 pokemon, there's only one that I actively dislike (though there are quite a few that I'm mostly neutral on), which is a pretty good hit rate imo, and more than I can say about so many other video games/media things. There are so many people who snark about pokemon or make fun of the plot or the pokes or whatever, and I'm trying to not be that or go for that low-hanging fruit.

Oh, I forgot to mention it in the update but (in case you haven't checked the poll or whatever) the actual team that we're going to be going with is this one:

Nena and Star Me stay in, and we welcome Ringo, Disrespect, PinkMatter and Bart to the team! We've got a pretty good variety of types and moves, though the trend for this team seems to be baby pokes with really good movesets as opposed to the fully evolved ones we've been finding (Star Me is the only odd poke out). I'm recording the real update as I type, though Gym Updates are sort of tough because I have three other ROMS that I check to see which one gives the most exciting battles!

Edit:

Captain Bravo posted:

It was impossible to tell from your previous screenshots, but now that we have this:

A guitar has six strings, and a bass has four. (Or five, six, seven, etc. depending on the musician, but mostly four. :v:) Roxie's bandmate has an instrument with six pegs coming off the top. Those are used to tune each individual string, meaning she plays a six-string instrument, probably a guitar. (Of course, she says that she plays the guitar, so that one's easy. :v:) Roxie only has four tuning pegs at the top of her instrument, meaning she almost certainly plays a bass. Or possibly an incredibly massive and unique ukelele. :getin:

Neat! I knew about the different strings (just couldn't tell the number from the sprites) but I totally forgot that the number of tuning pegs lines up to the number of strings!

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 4, 2016

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I randomized a fresh game, going almost completely bugfuck.

My protagonist is named :stonk:Bar0:c: and her rival would have been literally Hitler, but the game doesn't like that. Hatler is fine, though.
My starter choices are Poison Spheal, Ice Meowth, and Fire Tyrogue.
I have chosen Tyrogue, and named it Hoooooooob.
Hoooooooob has Mold Breaker, Heal Bell, and Fusion Flare.
First encounter was with an Unown that Crabhammered me to death. :negative:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I was thinking about randomizing types on my game but I haven't played since Gen 3. I might try it next time I get the urge.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I started another run and only just realized why I keep burning out on every randomized run I attempt; because I randomize almost everything, it's impossible to keep up with who does what, and it gets more confusing than fun at a point. I need to maybe dial it back on a few settings, like shuffling the stats.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Steak Eater posted:

I started another run and only just realized why I keep burning out on every randomized run I attempt; because I randomize almost everything, it's impossible to keep up with who does what, and it gets more confusing than fun at a point. I need to maybe dial it back on a few settings, like shuffling the stats.

I just shuffle Pokemon locations, movesets and abilities and it keeps things fresh enough without me becoming too confused.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've played with this randomizer a couple years ago and when I did I chose to keep most things the same just so I wouldn't be incredibly confused by the pokemon and their stats/abilities/movesets/typing, etc. Unfortunately, because the randomizer changes the rom's internal checksum such that it's no longer recognized as a valid Pokemon Black rom, this lady is stuck in an emulated, romhacked version of the game forever:

I think that was the 3rd legitimate shiny I ever found. First was a Magnemite in Pearl, second was a Scraggy in White.

Enjoying this LP so far. I might also take the dive others have been doing and try playing a little bit of randomizer in my spare time. Quick question, I can't remember if you have it yet or not but does that Habitat Analyzer that shows you the pokemon you've caught on a route function correctly with the randomizer?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

Enjoying this LP so far. I might also take the dive others have been doing and try playing a little bit of randomizer in my spare time. Quick question, I can't remember if you have it yet or not but does that Habitat Analyzer that shows you the pokemon you've caught on a route function correctly with the randomizer?

Nope, but the Pokedex should tell you where a randomised Pokemon can be found in your game.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Roro posted:

Nope, but the Pokedex should tell you where a randomised Pokemon can be found in your game.

I had an odd time confirming this, because I knew I'd caught my Snivy and Tepig on Route 20, but it was telling me the only places to find Snivys were three caves we haven't seen yet. Figured it out when I went to Route 20 and encountered an entirely different set of 'mons: It's currently winter and I'd set the randomizer to use time-based encounters. So that's a thing.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

I've played with this randomizer a couple years ago and when I did I chose to keep most things the same just so I wouldn't be incredibly confused by the pokemon and their stats/abilities/movesets/typing, etc. Unfortunately, because the randomizer changes the rom's internal checksum such that it's no longer recognized as a valid Pokemon Black rom, this lady is stuck in an emulated, romhacked version of the game forever:

I think that was the 3rd legitimate shiny I ever found. First was a Magnemite in Pearl, second was a Scraggy in White.

Have you tried copying the save file to a legit ROM? I know I can copy a randomized ROM's save to another randomized ROM and moves and abilities were preserved. This was with Black 2 randomized to White 2 randomized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Someone tried some transfer method for me a couple years ago and it didn't work out. If I ever want it in a legit game badly enough I think I could make an exception and use one of those cheat engines to build the pokemon and import it.

• Locked thread