Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll buy this game if you finish the FF9 LP, Mega. If and only if.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Look around you: Joja.
Look inside you: Joja.
Go to sleep: Joja.
Believe in a Smiling God.
Joja Corp. It is everything.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

This is probably the best thing I've read all day. Joja is very Strex/dystopian, which makes me wonder about the larger setting.

This game is super engaging and I'm loving it. Once I figured my way around I got totally sucked in.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

The later games fixed that by giving you a rucksack with around ten spaces (to start) of stuff you can carry plus storage. Stardew Valley has such a system, in fact.

I'll get the first update up today. It'll probably only cover the first day since there's a lot to show off, though I'll start capturing more days per update as I go.
I stopped being a Nintendo kid after the SNES era.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Year 1: Spring 1

ALRIGHT now we really truly finally play.

This is the load screen, where you can see how uncreative I was with my first game. Let's get to things!

Spring (It's a Big World Outside)

You can play with mouse and keyboard or with an Xbox controller. There's movement, a button to use tools, a button to interact with things, and a couple ways to bring up various menus.

First thing to do is open the giant box in our room. Free seeds! Also, our journal updated.

Your journal gives you mini-goals to go out and complete, sometimes with monetary rewards. Most of the time it doesn't hurt to do them. If nothing else, they're good guidance starting out, for the most part.

So we have two things to do. The first is to meet all 28 people in Stardew Valley. Well, there's more but we only need 28 specific people.

The other is to harvest a parsnip. To do that, we need to plant one first.

First, though, let's check out the TV. There's two channels that are always available (weather and fortune), and sometimes there's a third depending on the day of the week. First, let's check the weather.

The intro is always the same. This is basically how you find out whether it rains or not the next day.

The intro to this one changes between a few options. Luck affects what you find in various things. I'll go into that later.

Livin' Off The Land airs on Mondays and has general tips on playing the game. The first one suggests foraging for goods while you wait for crops to go, which isn't bad advice.

Alright, before we get going, let's go over the menu.

The first tab lets you deal with equipment, which I'll get into later, and also lets you see how much money you've earned so far. This is mainly important for specific achievements for making X amount of money.

The next tab has to do with skills. The more you do certain actions, the more a skill associated with those actions goes up. This reduces the energy cost of doing those actions and later on can give you some perk-like benefits. More on that later.

Next is the social tab. I'll show that off once we've met some people.

Then there's the map, which is pretty useful before you learn your way around. The town is to the east, with the south having a couple buildings and being a good place to forage.

Next is crafting. You unlock craftables from leveling skills, buying recipes, and making friends. There's all sorts of useful stuff (and some that are mostly cosmetic). Right now we can make a few things, by far the most important of which is a chest. Making a chest should be a high priority.

Next tab is a catalogue of items you've seen and shipped, as well as a list of achievements.

Then there's your general options tab, and the last tab lets you exit the game. Just keep in mind the game only saves when you go to bed each night, so if you exit before saving you lose all the progress for that day.

Now let's get to work!

Before we can till, we need to make some room. The sickle will get rid of weeds and grass, and unlike most other tools costs no energy to use. It also does not upgrade unlike the other tools.

Cutting weeds gives you a chance of gaining fiber, which is used in a few crafting recipes. Generally you'll have more fiber than you'll know what to do with.

You use an axe to break logs and to chop down trees and later stumps. These give you wood, probably the most useful resource you can get since a crazy amount of craftable items and farm upgrades require it. These small limbs always give you one, but you can get several from the smaller trees and around 20 from the big trees. Regular trees actually grow very quickly in this game, so wood is usually not an issue until winter, when trees stop growing.

Rocks give stone, the other big craft/upgrade item. These are harder to find in the wild than wood after you clear your farm, but there's an area later on that will give us access to a lot of stone. It's good to save up all the wood and stone you gather, especially early on.

Now that we've got some room, let's hoe. In this game, you can walk over most plants even when they're ready to harvest, so a 3x5 area will be fine.

Each seed corresponds to one square.

Then we water and grow. Parsnips require four days to grow, though this does not include the day you plant them. So it'll be a few days before we can turn a profit.

Now that that's done, I forge a path southward to get to the southern area.

This is where the animal ranch is, as well as a couple other people's homes, some good fishing spots, and a lot of forage.

It's a good idea to clear out a lot of the debris here to open more spots for forage. You know, if you have the time and energy.

Our first forage item! Forage changes depending on the season.

A lot of things will increase energy and health. Health is irrelevant for now, but energy will wear out quickly early on so you may want to hold onto some food in case you need a quick energy boost.

Most stores open at 9am.

But oddly no one is home. You can't enter other people's bedrooms until you reach two hearts with them (out of ten).

Let's go ahead and enter town so we can meet some people.

Pelican Town

Most of the people in Stardew Valley live here in Pelican Town. This is also where most of the shops are.

Raiding in trash cans is a good thing, even if most are empty. Just don't get noticed by anyone!

Hey, our first villager!

Oh, did you want something?

This is Penny, our first bachelorette. She lives in the sole trailer in Stardew Valley. She enjoys reading and teaching the children in the town.

Up north a bit is the general store. There's two things of note in the billboard.

The first is a calender. Note that each season is only 28 days. It's a common thing to overlook since most of the Harvest Moon games are 30 days. The calenders also give you the days festivals occur (the first being on the 13th) and birthdays. Gifting someone on their birthday, especially something they love, will skyrocket their friendship with you, to the tune of a two-three heart jump instantly. So yeah, give people birthday gifts.

The other is for odd jobs, which are usually "Give person X item." You only have that day and the next day to do it or the quest fails, though there's no penalty for failing. You'll get rewarded with money and usually boost friendship with that person.

There's some more people in the general store. Let's introduce ourselves!

This is Gus, who runs the saloon. It can get pretty lively on the weekend nights.

I sell livestock and animal care products at my ranch. You should swing by some time.

Marnie runs the ranch south of our farm, at least when she's actually there. She's the person to go to for animals once you build a place to house them.

And up above is Pierre.

If you're looking for seeds, my shop is the place to go. I'll also buy product from you for a good price! A little agriculture could really inject new life into the local economy!

Pierre sells seeds based on the season, and a good variety at that. Most are pretty normal "water until mature than harvest," but beans stand out for two reasons. One, they keep growing more beans after the initial harvest. Two, they use trellises, which means you can't pass through them unlike most other crops.

You can also sell certain items to Pierre for as much as you'd get from the shipping box. I go ahead and sell the horseradish.

You can also buy cooking ingredients and fruit tree saplings. Cooking is irrelevant to us for now, and saplings are too expensive for us at this time. I'll go into that stuff as they become relevant.

I do buy five bean seeds though because we'll need more money for stuff.

Separate from that is the backpack upgrade. This doubles the space in your backpack and is sorely needed ASAP. Once I get 2k gold I'm grabbing it.

Next up is the clinic.

Talk to this guy from the front, and he sells you medicine. You have to go around to actually talk to him.

I perform regular check-ups and medical procedures for all the residents of Pelican Town. It's rewarding work. I hope you'll find your own work equally rewarding, in time.

This is Harvey, one of the romanceable bachelors. He's older than most of the other romance options and kinda keeps to himself. People really hate his moustache for some reason.

Southeast of the general store is this house.

Where these people live.

Name's George, by the way. Now buzz off... Hmmph.

You can call me 'Granny' if you like.

The two elderly people are Grumpy George and Evelyn. They're pretty much what you expect.

And outside is Alex, their grandson.

I'll see you around.

FOOTBALL

And next to them is this run-down trailer.

Don't be a jerk and we'll get along fine.

Pam is Penny's mom and an unemployed alcoholic. Yep!

South of them is Lewis's house, though he's not home it seems.

As I cross the street, I see another bachelorette walking by.

You picked a good time to move here... The spring is lovely.

Leah lives below the animal ranch off by herself. She also left the bustle of the city for a simpler life. She's also an artist.

Let's check out these two houses.

If you're ever looking for something to do in the evening, stop by the saloon. That's where I work!

Emily lives here with her sister and is usually found working in the saloon.

Two more people here.

Momma says not to talk to strangers... But you seem okay.

Vincent lives here with his mom and older brother. He's one of the two kids in the area.

It's a quiet little town, so it's very exciting when someone new moves in! Having a farmer around could really change things.

This is Jodi. Her husband's off in the military right now.

South of Pelican Town is the beach.

And on the beach lives another bachelor.

I'm Elliott... I live in the little cabin by the beach. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Elliott is a writer and talks a lot like one. He can be a bit difficult to find at times.

With enough wood, we can repair the bridge here. It doesn't hurt to do so.

Can't go here yet.

I find a daffodil on the way back. Many villagers like flowers as gifts, but I'm going to sell this one.

To the southeast there's the museum.

Uh... This is embarrassing, but the previous curator made off with the entire collection. We don't have any artifacts for display. But I'm hoping to remedy that soon! Hey, if you find any artifacts or minerals out there... would you let me know?

Gunther actually isn't friendable, but he will give you stuff as you donate certain items to the museum. More on that later.

Above the museum is the blacksmith.

I'm the town blacksmith. If you ever need to upgrade your tools, I'm your guy.

If you end up doing any mining, you'll spend a lot of time at Clint's. You also go to him to upgrade your tools.

You can buy ore from him, though generally there's no need to.

That's a shame.

In the northeast corner of the town is Joja Mart. OH BOY.

I don't believe we've met. I'm Morris, Joja Customer Satisfaction Representative. When you decide you want to become a Joja Member, I'll be delighted to help make your transition a joyous experience.

This wonderful person is Morris, a person I never talked to because I never went in here more than a couple of times. He's as wonderful as you'd expect.

You can buy a lot of the same stuff here as in Pierre's, but for slightly higher prices. It's open more often, though.

While we don't actually talk to Sam, the game considers we did and that's good enough for me. Sam lives with Jodi and Vincent, is an aspiring musician, and can be romanced. People also call him Goku a lot.

On the way out, we meet another possible romance partner.

It's kind of a shame, really. I always enjoyed exploring those overgrown fields by myself.

Abigail is the daughter of the general store owner. She's a bit of an oddball, hanging out in cemeteries and dying her hair and all that stuff. She's also into video games and unsurprisingly as a result she's the fan favorite of the marriage candidates.

Up north we have a fountain, a playground...

...and a run-down community center.

This path will take us to Robin's.

See these three worm-like things on the ground? You should hoe them when you have the chance.

They usually have artifacts, books (which give gameplay tips), or other useful resources.

The other one had clay, which is a kinda rare component for crafting.

This is where Robin and her family live.

Robin is the local carpenter and where you go to build new farm buildings, furniture, and to upgrade your house.

To the west is Demetrius, Robin's scientist husband.

Have you met my daughter Maru? She's interested to meet you.

Living above Robin and Demetrius is the token mountain man.

Don't mind me. I just live out here alone.

Linus is pretty sweet. He's the goon fan favorite for the Games thread and is generally a pretty chill dude.

Heading back south we meet said Maru.

I'm Maru. I've been looking forward to meeting you! You know, with a small town like this, a new face can really alter the community dynamic. It's exciting!

Maru is Robin and Demetrius's daughter and is the inventor-type of the game. She's also another person you can marry.

It's late enough to check out the saloon now.

The Stardrop Saloon

The saloon is usually busier other nights, but you can count on Pam and this fellow being here nightly.

This is Shane. He lives with his aunt Marnie and works at Joja Mart daily. As you may expect, this makes him a wee bit alcoholic. Another fan favorite, to the point where the developer of this game mentioned how much feedback he's gotten about making Shane marriable in the future.

There's also arcade games but we'll deal with those later.

That's good progress for one day. Let's go home and finish up some things.

Yep, time to get rid of this inventory.

First, I plant the beans I bought earlier.

Sell the flowers.

Then I go back to grab the leek I picked up. This area is between our farm and Pelican Town, so we don't have to go through the southern area every time.

Trees take a lot of chops early on to go down, but they give a lot of wood, too.

They also give sap, which has a few uses in crafting recipes, including one very useful one.

Eventually, I have enough wood to make a chest.

You can also store tools here if you wanted. You can store anything actually, including food. Nothing spoils in this game.

I go ahead and plant some Mixed Seeds I picked up from weeds earlier. They can grow random things depending on the season.

It's good to go to bed before midnight. The latest you can stay up is 2am, any later and you pass out and start the next day at half-stamina (and possibly missing some goods and money).

After you go to sleep, a results screen will show you what all you shipped in the box and how much you made. This doesn't include items sold in town.

Clicking an icon will give more detailed breakdowns.

Next time, we'll meet everyone else we need to meet and get into another of the big mechanics of this game!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
When do we start fighting Jojo retaliation squads?

I know it isn't that kind of game, but I wouldn't be surprised if they send assassins after our rear end.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Hi, I'm Morris. I'm not Evil.

Sure, I run a cold corporate department store, but I'm not evil.

I may come off as pretentious trash in my letters, but I'm not evil.

Yeah, I'd set fire to Linus then sell Jas to Arab slavers to make a profit, but I'm not evil!

Why do people keep saying I'm evil?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your avatar can use a red bow tie. Just saying.

Those are some expensive saplings.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy shoujo anime hair, look at that guy. :stare:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Man, Robin and Demetrius have aged ridiculously well. They do not even remotely look old enough to have a daughter old enough to be getting married.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm impatient, so I'm adding Spring 2 in a few minutes.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Man, Robin and Demetrius have aged ridiculously well. They do not even remotely look old enough to have a daughter old enough to be getting married.
It took me the best part of Spring to tell Jodi and Leah apart (goddamn over-the-shoulder plaits), and Jodi's also a mother of two.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Year 1: Spring 2

Spring (The Valley Comes Alive)

Waking up to rain is nice because it means you don't have to water your crops.

Also, each season has three different themes that the game rotates between, which is nice for some musical variety. Of course, the game usually has more ambience than music.

Sometimes you'll get mail. You should probably read it so as not to be rude.

Even if a lot of it is junk mail.

However we get a piece of mail that's actually important. We shall be doing this thing we're being told to do.

Watering isn't too bad to start, but it can get time and energy-consuming if you overreach, especially if you want to do other stuff.

Oh hey, there's Shane. I wonder what he has to say today!

This guy is a fan favorite.

Alright, let's check out the beach again.

-----

Heard there was a newcomer in town... Good to finally meet ya.

It was a big haul! I sold a lot of good fish. Finally saved enough to buy me a new rod.

It's important to me that the art o' fishing stays alive. And hey, maybe you'll buy somethin' from the shop once in a while.

So now we can fish, which is pretty nice.

Oh yeah. My shop's back open now, so come by if you need supplies. I'll also buy anything you catch. 'If it smells, it sells'. Heh heh. That's what my ol' Pappy used to say, anyway.

-----

Let's talk to Willy now that we're not in cutscene land.

Ahoy there! It's nice to see young folk movin' in to the valley. It's not very common these days.

Alright, so fishing.

First thing you do is hold the button down as a bar goes up and down. This affects the distance you cast. Generally you want to shoot for max, though there are situations where you may want to go half-way or whatever.

Then you wait. It's pretty longish to start at times, but this will be remedied later on. Rumble helps if you're using a controller. There's also a sound cue. Press the button to get a hit.

Let me say this: The fishing minigame is one of the biggest strengths of this game. It's a lot different from every other fishing minigame in these types of games, and is very clever in how it shows off what it's doing.

The idea is you keep the bar under the fish as it moves. As long as the bar is under the fish, the meter moves up. But if the fish is away from the bar, the meter decreases. There's two things that make this strategic.

1. The bar has momentum behind it. Push it all the way to the top, and it'll take awhile to come down and even then will bounce off the bottom a few times before settling. The key is to find a rhythm between tapping and holding down the button to keep the fish in the bar.

2. All fish move, and each fish has a different movement pattern. The easier fish to catch stay near the bottom and barely move, to the point where later on you can do nothing and still catch the fish. Some slowly rise to the top. The more difficult ones will ping-pong back and forth to the point where you can barely keep up with them. If you fish enough, you may even notice what kind of fish you're going to fish up before the fish is even caught.

This was a tutorial segment where the bar doesn't decrease. We do get an Anchovy though.

Here's an example of how fishing works, using good ol' webm!

https://a.pomf.cat/wvrune.webm
Youtube Version

It takes awhile to get used to, but once you learn how the game works it becomes one of the most clever elements of a game full of great stuff. Fishing is definitely a viable path for money and satisfaction if you so desire.

Willy doesn't sell much to start. The Bamboo Pole we already have. The Trout Soup boosts Fishing a bit, making catching fish easier, but a bit steep for now. We sell our fish and move on. We've still got to meet more people!

Pelican Town

Jas is Marnie's niece and Shane's cousin. She's the other child in Stardew Valley.

Hi...

She's more hesitant about talking to strangers.

If there's a job available, an exclamation mark appears on the bulletin board.

This is pretty benign as far as Abigail's pranks go. It doesn't hurt to take quests so why not. Plus Pierre sucks so pranking him will feel good.

It's a lot of work to run a shop.

This usually only happens at the change of the season, and then it's only the obvious stuff like seeds.

Another person we missed was Caroline, Pierre's wife and Abigail's mother. She complains about her daughter dying her hair yet her own hair is toxic waste green.

Ah, the aerobics meet-up. Many players refer to it a cult more than anything.

I buy potatoes, they make decent money and they can pop multiple potatoes if you're lucky.

Here's some more generic dialogue.

I know he'll come back safe once his tour is over!

He helps me out with the chickens, so I'm not complaining.

Oh, here's Emily's sister, and the last of the bachelorettes we can marry.

Huh? Oh... I'm Haley.

Haley likes photography and being the personification of the vapid airhead trope.

So, we only need one more person but this guy's a pain so.

I take the opportunity to fish in the mountain lake to the east of Robin's home. The fish you can get vary depending on location (lakes, oceans, rivers, and some special spots), season, and weather (some fish only show up when it rains).

End up catching three more fish and kill some time.

Might as well show you this blocked-off passage to the railroad.

This route will lead us back to our farm, giving us three different directions we can leave our farm from. Pretty convenient!

Country Shop

Robin's part of the fitness cult, too.

This guy is the last person we need to meet, and one of the most annoying since he spends most of his time shacked up in his room on his computer.

Out of all the places you could live, you chose Pelican Town?

This is Sebastian, Robin's son and Maru's older half-brother. He spends most of his time in his room and sometimes hangs out with Sam. We can marry this stud.

No reward for meeting everyone, though we do unlock another quest. The clock for the Abigail quest earlier means it will expire, while the quests the game can assign you usually don't expire at all.

I'll hold off on that for today.

On my way back to town, I dig up my first artifact! Once I throw away my Fiber of course, curse this small backpack.

If you see this text, that means you can take it to the museum to get it analyzed. Let's do so!

As you may have noticed, each character has several different expressions, with the ones you can marry generally having more.

OK, NOW to the museum!

-----

The Library and Museum

Abysmal... Not a single piece in the entire collection.

What's this? You found something? Let me see it!

Remarkable! It's very old. I'd love to study this in greater detail... But it is yours.

Would you consider donating any new artifacts or minerals that you find? We could make a groundbreaking discovery together! Oh, and who knows... If you keep donating I might come across some interesting items to send your way. Think about it, will you? If you decide to donate, just bring the objects to the front desk.

You can donate artifacts and minerals here, and you may occasionally get something cool.

You also get to place where it goes, too. And if you find the object again, you get an actual description for it.

We also get a reward for triggering a quest and fulfilling it fifteen seconds later.

We can also go ahead and read a couple of the books available so far.

Don't worry, leaving animals outside is much less of a hassle in this game than in the Harvest Moon games.

All good tips. We should be able to make our own fertilizer once we gain some farming levels, which is nice for boosting crop quality if nothing else. The scythe crops are no biggie since the game will tell you you need the scythe if you try to harvest the normal way. Corn is pretty much the only crop that stays alive between seasons, and then it grows in summer and fall (there is another crop, but it's rare and kinda special). I'll go into fruit trees later.

Got some ore from a trash can. Not the best find, but I'll take it.

Membership is now available! With a Joja Membership, you'll be able to make improvements in the community with the help of our dedicated personnel... for a fee, of course. Oh, and another thing... Mayor Lewis promised us that if anyone else joined up, he'd let us turn that old community center into a Joja Warehouse. Isn't that wonderful?

Oh boy, help out the company we quit and tear down a community center! Where do I sign up?

Oh wait, I'm broke.

I do buy a Joja Cola since I'd break even money-wise once I give it to Abigail. Only other way to get them is "luck" into fishing them.

You gotta spend some time in the sun or else you'll get all pale.

Oh Alex, ever the charmer.

AEROBICS

Ohhh... My arms feel like gelatin...

You're looking really fit, Jodi! Those dumbells do wonders, don't they?

We meet every week to encourage each other to stay healthy.

I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Unfortunately we can't join fitness cult.

Instead let's watch Sebastian smoke because why not.

I sell my fish...

...plant my potatoes...

...and clear my farm. Even got some coal, which is very useful later on and kind of a pain to get.

All in all, another busy day.

This is all the money we made today. We should beef that up.

1. What should we focus more on? Should we dedicate a lot more time and energy into growing and raising crops? Should we forage more and clear our farm while gathering wood and stone? Should we start fishing? Or maybe a healthy mix of all three? Or maybe forget money entirely and work on wooing the townspeople? Maybe something completely out there that's so brilliant nobody has ever thought of it? We'll have more stuff open up soon so we can switch gears after the next update or two, and at that point we can move on to how we want to use whatever money we get (after the larger backpack of course).

2. Speaking of the townspeople, who do we want to start befriending? It's never too early to make friends, and having friends has its perks. Plus we'll get to learn more about these people, which is always fun.

I'll go with whatever seems popular enough. You can't really play this game wrong, so go with whatever you want! This is a chill farming/foraging/fishing/socializing game so far, let's enjoy it at our own pace!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 27, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. Will be following this game, looks like a very different change of pace from my usual gaming fare.

No comment on what to do in general, but I say befriend Haley and Penny. I wonder what else there is to Haley, and I think Penny could use a friend if she's stuck with her alcoholic mom.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Makin' Money: Farm. Farm, farm, farm. You can get great short-term rewards from fishing or foraging but crops are the moneymaker. Ideally you want a healthy mix of the three, but if you want to get into full-on Cash Rules Everything Around Me mode you need to farm.

Makin' Friends: Linus! Because he's a gruff old mountain man, I mean, c'mon.

(it has nothing to do with one of the rewards of his friendship, honest, really, no fooling)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Oh boy, help out the company we quit and tear down a community center! Where do I sign up?

Why did I know that when you showed the community center someone was destined to want to tear it down?

Oh yeah, that's right, I was alive in the 80s where 90% of movies involved a rec, community or civic center being imperiled by a generic evil business man.

e: on that note, 1 - do we have a rival? and 2 - if so, can we marry our rival?

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 14, 2016

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
Oh man, we should join fitness cu-

Mega64 posted:

Unfortunately we can't join fitness cult.
:arghfist:

I'd like to see more fishing! What kind of wierd and wonderful curiosities are found in the deep waters of stardew valley?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Makin' Money: Farm. Farm, farm, farm. You can get great short-term rewards from fishing or foraging but crops are the moneymaker. Ideally you want a healthy mix of the three, but if you want to get into full-on Cash Rules Everything Around Me mode you need to farm.

Good plan.

I've got no preferences re: friends, though.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I like Farming, for personal preference. Aiming for a large and well laid-out farm is a good goal to shoot for by next year.

As for Friends, I'm tempted to just say everyone. If that's not a good answer, I'd say Sebastian, Shane, and Linus. Let's get the antisocial trifecta going.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I imagine even planning to raise livestock is prohibitive at this time. Might as well slowly clear out the junk and increase the crops.
Make friends with the alcoholics. It should be good to have drinking buddies.

That trailer home is awfully roomy. Must have cost a ton.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Farm queen that likes hobos (Linus) and weirdos (Abigail).

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Fish to support your farming habits, gotta get that money rolling in early so you can expand your fields

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Genocyber posted:

Farm queen that likes hobos (Linus) and weirdos (Abigail).

This for the most part. The farming and Linus parts. Linus is a really good dude who needs some friends. Plus he's easy enough to keep happy because he appreciates any food you'll bring him!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Scalding Coffee posted:

I imagine even planning to raise livestock is prohibitive at this time.

Honestly not so much. It's an investment, but you can reach the cost threshold to get a silo and either a coop or a barn up with a few weeks of dedicated work. The bottleneck is going to be three things - silos, which store hay (which you need to feed your animals on rainy days and in winter), require clay to build, and there's no truly reliable way to find it; there's a lot more luck involved. So it can be tricky to plan out in the first couple of weeks. Secondly, it'll require a goodly amount of stone and logs, which is tough to amass in large quantities at the very beginning of the game when you have no skills and a low energy bar. Third, you need Robin to build them, which will take a few days where your investment isn't paying off - to say nothing of the time where you're waiting for your new animals to start producing.

Having said that, once we work up the cash and the resources and get, say, even a single chicken, we can expect a steady, if not enormous, stream of income for minimal effort and energy. So it's not a terrible idea, even if it's not the path I'd take.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

StrangeAeon posted:

That is the exact reaction I had to the intro. I have to wonder if he was actually going for that.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Befriend the token black guy (Demetrius). Gotta prove you're not a racist, right?

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I guess farming would be the way to go. I got this game this weekend and I've been kinda all over the place, small sets of crops, fishing and another thing we've yet to see. I have a feeling I'm gonna read this LP and say to myself "why didn't I do that?"

As for friends, Linus, Haley, Abigail and our soon to be good buddy Shane would be a good start. Also I've not really been to the Joja Mart so I had no idea GokuSam worked there... Also can I just ask we never shop at the Joja Mart again?

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
I'm more interested in seeing how things work than directing them a particular way, so I'll just vote on friends. Elliot. That hair. That dialogue. Fantastic. I'd also be happy to see more of everyone, but I'll pull for my particular early favorite.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I actually married Sebastian and enjoyed his final heart event. Also playing D&D with him and Sam.

As for friends, Shane and Linus are a must. I think it would also be nice to befriend most of the marriage candidates a bit before we commit to everyone.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
gently caress the fishing mini game so hard.

I'm super bad at it. But this is a good and chill game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Jenner posted:

It gets easier with practice and better equipment (the bamboo rod really sucks). Just relax, chow down on any algae you fish up (you get more energy back than you lost fishing it up), and fish in the ocean to start. Anchovies and Sardines don't fight much.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jenner posted:

It gets better over time because you get a bigger and bigger bar as you level up your fishing. But yeah, I probably spent over all a solid real world hour learning the fishing controls. It's really easy once you know them but when you don't...

I'm still not sure if I'd classify it as a good mechanic or not.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I wanna be friends with Fabio Elliot. DAT HAIR.

Also this looks like a great LP so far. I never played Harvest Moon or anything like it so when I first heard friends talking about Stardew Valley I felt very meh about it. But now my spouse is raving about how great the game is so I guess once I finish Xenoblade Chronicles X I'll have to fire this up.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Let's be the Fisher queen and befriend Haley.

Abigail is overdone. I hardly see people try to be friends with Haley.

In my game I'm trying to be friends with Leah and Elliott, but I can't exactly find them too often.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
The nice thing about Linus is that you don't even need to focus on befriending him at all. He seems to like any food you give him, and that's including forages or raw fish. And he lives and likes to hang out right near the mines too, so you'll pass him quite often. I got in the habit of keeping a stack of food in my inventory just to top off energy and tossed one his way whenever I happened by him.

Linus is a real sweetheart too once you get to know him :3: But because he's so easy to befriend over time I'll toss my vote in for Leah because she seems like she'd get along with a farmer. I'll probably end up trying to woo her in my next playthough of this game

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Actually, didn't you have a Harvest Moon LP a while back?

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Huh, I specifically remember giving Linus a fish I caught, and he said that "just because I live in the woods doesn't mean I deserve garbage" and got all sad. I usually just gave him flowers until he gave me a recipe that would turn all the raw fish into something that he'd actually accept.

So uh I got this game a week ago and I'm already on Year 2 and I want to make so many different characters. I want one to try to focus solely on Ranching, only growing a few crops for specific requests, or one that is a logger. there are so many ways to play this game, and while they aren't the "best" way to get money, they are certainly *different*, and that's half the fun, I think.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I never recall seeing him turn down food, but perhaps I'm remembering wrong about fish. Still, he's easy to befriend with other foods. He's my second highest relation person, and the only one with more hearts than him is my character's wife

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see a healthy mix of all money-making activities. As for friending, start with the ol' fishing man, artist, fab writer, and teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

DentD posted:

I wanna be friends with Fabio Elliot. DAT HAIR.

This is correct as hell. Also Haley and Dr. Harvey, because they're the people I've paid the least attention to in my own game.

As for money-making, prioritize the farm and keep up a healthy side interest in fishing.

• Locked thread