Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D

hopeandjoy posted:

I think it would also be nice to befriend most of the marriage candidates a bit before we commit to everyone.

I second this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Get up get out and get to the beach and fish, hang out with beach shack writer dude and old fisherman guy.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Let's buck the trend and become a world class chef! Of course, we're going to need supplies for that, so a small garden patch or two and maybe some livestock later on will work, but let's aim for selling a ton of dishes to make our money with!

Also, Linus can be out chief taste-tester, with Harvey, because if we make anyone sick having a doctor as a pal can't go wrong, and let's woo Ricardo Elliot so he can be our critic!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Is there a time limit to this game?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Nuramor posted:

Is there a time limit to this game?

No.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A mix of jobs seems reasonable for an LP. I don't mind who you befriend, but try and befriend as many people as you can, I guess.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As long as the LP ends with that Joja Mart burning down in the glorious revolution I'm happy.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

We must befriend amazing hair author man!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Actually, didn't you have a Harvest Moon LP a while back?

I've actually attempted two! A narrative one for the SNES version, and one for Magical Melody on Gamecube. Both got abandoned for different reasons (started the SNES one right when I was busy finishing another LP and busy with other stuff, so I had to drop it, and MM I stopped because I was addicted to FF14 at the time). I still want to continue that SNES one some day, I was really liking how that one was going.

Anyway, it looks like I should focus on farming and fishing, and focus friendships on Linus, Haley, and Elliott (but try to get to know everyone else more in general). Sounds like a plan!

I'll get to work on recording the next update in a bit, then.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

So do the eligible partners you pass up court each other?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

queserasera posted:

So do the eligible partners you pass up court each other?

Not really. The game kinda has them in pairs, but it doesn't really go far with it. They can't marry each other or get together like they would in some HM games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Year 1: Spring 3 - 4

It's raining today, so no music.

We'll have music tomorrow, though!

Anyway, we have a visitor.

I noticed that you've been breaking some rocks open and finding ore. That's good!

Actually, we fished it out of your trash can but, uh, you don't need to know that.

If you want to get the most out of the ores you find, you'll need a furnace. Just so happens I had an extra set of blueprints lying around. Here, I want you to have them.

The furnace allows you to smelt metal bars. The bars can be used for crafting, construction, and tool upgrades. When you've smelted a few copper bars, consider having me upgrade one of your tools. It can make your work a lot easier.

So yeah, this was all one giant sales pitch.

Anyway, as you get ore, you can use a furnace to smelt it into bars, which are used in a variety of crafting recipes and for upgrading tools to be more powerful. Having at least one is pretty handy.

But we can't quite make one yet.

You may notice a crop is missing. It's because of crows. Crows are jerks and can randomly eat your crops. The only way to stop them is to have a scarecrow. Unfortunately, we can't get a scarecrow quite yet.

The nice part about rain is we don't have to water our crops, so I go foraging instead.

And fishing...sorta. I fish up another cola, some algae, and random garbage. The algae boosts energy a bit at least.

It's kinda hard to see in the rain, but see those bubbles right below Fiona? That marks a prime fishing spot, which means fish bite much more easily. It's good to go for these especially early on when fish take forever to bite, as they can be a good source of fish. These will disappear randomly.

So, one more detail about fishing. Sometimes a treasure chest will pop up.

You have to hover over the chest to get it. Keep in mind that you don't get the treasure unless you catch the fish, so usually you'll want to get the fish close to caught before going after the chest. It can be a bit risky, especially if the fish is pretty tough to catch.

I manage to pull it off, though.

The loot can vary between disappointing and fantastic. Another book for the library isn't too bad.

At this point, I run out of room and take a break from fishing.

You may notice on the far right I have a Shad with a silver star. There are quality rankings for a lot of items like fish, crops, and forage, between regular, silver star, and gold star. This mainly affects prices, as the higher-ranking stuff sells for slightly more. The annoying thing is a silver-star item counts as a different inventory slot from a regular-quality item, which is a pain early on when you have ten slots to work with.

I shove some fish into a chest and sell some stuff before heading to town.

Flowers don't sell well but people like them so it never hurts to have a few with you.

You may also notice the game is a bit zoomed out. Generally I try to stay at 100% to make the screenshots look better, but sometimes I'll zoom out to 75% so I can find forage and people more easily. It's much less important if you're playing at something like 1080p, though I'm kinda spoiled now playing at 1080p with 75% zoom having a massive field of vision. I've played enough to know my way around, though.

Well, crap. You may remember we have a quest to give Abigail some cola. Unfortunately, the general store is closed on Wednesdays and Abigail generally stays inside on rainy days, so we have no way to give her the cola and since the quest ends today we won't fulfill it. No biggie, just out 75 gold.

So the thread floated around befriending Haley, Linus, and Elliott. Let's give a flower to Haley to start.

*gasp*...for me? Thank you!

Another quest done!

I wish I could've visited her today.

Let's check out the social tab. It's sorted by who likes you the most, which so far is Haley since she's the only person we gifted something to. The more hearts someone has, the more they like you. Many characters, including all ten marriage candidates, have scenes with you based on hitting a certain heart threshold. They'll also change up dialogue and may even mail you items and recipes.

Unlike Harvest Moon, you're somewhat limited in how many gifts you give someone. You're only allowed to give one gift to a person a day and only two to someone per week. The right column helpfully shows you how many gifts you've given someone that week. Thus you can't get a waitress to fall in love with you in a single night with flowers or by rubbing a dog in her face.

If a character has (single) under their name, that means you can marry them.

Let's visit the beach next.

Sometimes random stuff will wash up, like clams.

I randomly get a couple pieces of gold ore. Uh, nice.

Uh.

UH.

Seriously, flowers everywhere.

One thing I haven't shown off yet is the actual shop in the carpentry.

You have three options, the first is a regular shop with wood/stone, furniture, and recipes to make furniture.

The second is to upgrade your house. You can do this twice, with the first upgrade giving you a kitchen to cook stuff in. It's a wee bit out of our price range, though.

The third option lets us build new buildings. First off are the coop and the barn, which we need to raise animals. The coop holds only chickens, and the barn holds only cows. However, after we build them we can upgrade them to get more features and also be able to raise more animals in them.

Generally you'll never need a well, since you have two ponds nearby and will likely never need water in a more convenient place.

For some reason, the game suggests building a coop before a silo. This is dumb, don't do it. You'll want a silo before you raise animals. Silos store hay, which you get by cutting grass. However, you only get hay from grass when you have a silo, which is weird. Your farm starts with a lot of wild grass, so don't cut it all until you get a silo first. You'll definitely need this in the winter since all grass dies during the winter.

Each silo holds 240 hay. Yes, you can have multiple silos. Hell, you can have multiple coops and barns if you really want to raise animals.

The stable gets you a horse, the only purpose of which is to let you move faster. It's a great investment since you walk kinda slow to begin with, but it's also a pretty expensive investment, requiring materials we don't really have access to yet.

There is one more thing, but I'd rather keep that a secret for now. In the meantime, let's talk to Maru.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I work at Harvey's clinic. He says he likes having me around in case his medical equipment goes haywire!

Greetings. Stay inside if you want to keep warm.

Sorry, too busy.

Let's give Linus some food.

Linus is so great.

I don't know you well enough to trust you. Sorry.

Eh, we'll get there.

A couple things I haven't shown off yet. First, this cave to the northwest of our house.

No idea what it's for quite yet.

Next, this abandoned building. No idea what it's for yet either.

I fill up my chest, sell a couple of clams, and move on to clearing up some land.

Then I head south to the forest to explore a bit.

Hmm...

On the southern edge is this abandoned house.

I break some rocks to try to clear a path between my farm and the forest.

And stumble upon a geode. Geodes are pretty neat for reasons I'll get to shortly.

For you see, it's pretty late now and we've had a busy day.

At the end of a day, if you've leveled up a skill, the game will tell you. Sometimes you just gain proficiency in specific tools, which means they require less stamina to use.

And sometimes you get new recipes and perks. Now we can obtain seeds from trees, make seeds from forage, and craft food from tree seeds.

Meh.

Time to jump into the next day!

Spring (Wild Horseradish Jam)

They're kinda rare, but once I saw a ton of them growing in the southern end of the forest.

I always start the morning off watering crops.

And rummaging other people's garbage.

So, geodes. Clint will break them for us for a small fee. It's worth paying.

You should upgrade your tools. I could use the cash.

Now Clint will break our geodes for us for 25g a pop.

Geodes can have a variety of things like ore, coal, gems, or minerals.

A huge chunk of the stuff you can donate to the museum are gotten from geodes. There's also different varieties of geodes.

I go ahead and donate this thing to the museum, then read the book I fished out of the river yesterday.

Clearing up debris opens up more spots for forage to spawn in. Good to know!

Caroline wants a sunfish. Why not, I may actually find one!

I'll give you a fair price, of course!

As Maru told us, she works here sometimes.

She even has a different sprite for her uniform.

Home-cooked meals are best. Do you cook?

Harvey is a wee bit obsessed with health.

Haley likes flowers, so she's easy to please.

I've decided I am going to organize my clothes today. I'll have to throw out all of last year's styles to make room for the new ones!

Oh hey, maybe Penny has something more interesting to say.

We're very lucky to have a library in such a small town. When you're lost in a book, it's easy to forget the realities of your life.

...Sorry. I got carried away there.

...Jesus Christ, Penny.

Oh hey, Elliott came out of his cabin! Let's gift him!

While most people like flowers, Elliott isn't a big fan. Oh well.

Hello, Fiona. Are you well?

At least he's a gentleman.

Hey, seaweed is used in a couple recipes. It's not completely useless...

Oh hey, there's Lewis.

So, how was your first night in the old cottage? Your grandpa used to complain about the rickety old bed. But I think, deep down, he actually loved that house.

There's Linus. He likes to hang around here.

...Hmm? Do you want something from me?

I gift him a flower, which he enjoys (and probably eats later).

I do a bit more fishing because why not.

Haven't explored the northern part of the lake/mountain area yet, but that's because it's blocked off.

Another thing I've forgotten to show off. There's this weird shrine thing in the northwest corner of our farm.

Ooh. How mysterious.

I spend the rest of the day chopping trees down and clearing farm land.

I end up with just over 200 wood. My goal is to hit 300 to build that bridge on the beach. But that's for another day. Tonight I get some rest!

After I cry myself to sleep over how poor I am.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can we buy/gift Penny some anti depressants? Also become her friend. :unsmith:

Considering what suff you can fish up you really have to wonder about the people in this town.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 15, 2016

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yikes. Less Haley, more Penny please :smith:

That last track is fantastic.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
General rule of thumb - if the TV says something about some foraging item, check it that day or the next. As far as I can tell, it telling you about it is a trigger for said thing to actually happen. More than once I've picked the wild fields dry only to have the TV tell me the next day to check them for items. Ran back there, lots more harvesting to do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So the Field Snack is made from a pine corn, a maple seed, and an acorn. Truly a delicious snack for when you're doing hard labor.

Can't wait for the resurrection of Grandpa Christ.

Poil posted:

Considering what suff you can fish up you really have to wonder about the people in this town.

I imagine most of the trash is probably from Joja Corp.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I bought this today because I've been hearing everywhere how good it is - including in this thread. So far I'm having a great time! Days feel shorter than in Rune Factory, but this shouldn't be the problem once I start getting used to the lay of the land.

silversatyr posted:

General rule of thumb - if the TV says something about some foraging item, check it that day or the next. As far as I can tell, it telling you about it is a trigger for said thing to actually happen. More than once I've picked the wild fields dry only to have the TV tell me the next day to check them for items. Ran back there, lots more harvesting to do.

I just found about a dozen wild onions, returned home and the TV told me that it's possible to find wild onions. I returned the next day and found maybe three that grew back in the meantime. So actually watching the TV is probably not the trigger, but the shows about specific items might be set up to coincide with big spawn days.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Every time I see Linus' portrait I can't help but think he's Hobo Grandpa Aquaman. Look at that orange scale shirt:

I haven't picked up Stardew yet - Harvest Moon-type games overload the OCD centers of my brain and I never get too far in them - but reading this I'm seriously considering it. That fishing game reminds me of the one from Breath of Fire III.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

I'd be down for her as Fiona's love interest from what we've seen so far. Hopefully there's more to Haley than the rich girl act.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ayndin posted:

That fishing game reminds me of the one from Breath of Fire III.
Yes. I already get flashbacks of whale battles.
Does fishing end up taking a while to catch the harder fish? Maybe long enough to listen to the Nier fishing battle?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay, I bought it. I like it a lot. It's... It's pretty hard not to get sucked in.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.

Aithon posted:

I bought this today because I've been hearing everywhere how good it is - including in this thread. So far I'm having a great time! Days feel shorter than in Rune Factory, but this shouldn't be the problem once I start getting used to the lay of the land.

I just found about a dozen wild onions, returned home and the TV told me that it's possible to find wild onions. I returned the next day and found maybe three that grew back in the meantime. So actually watching the TV is probably not the trigger, but the shows about specific items might be set up to coincide with big spawn days.

Considering that you usually won't find them that quickly after each other, sounds like exactly what I said. I've yet to have a TV show not trigger a regrow of harvest items. Granted, some are more plentiful than others, but there's always something after the TV show airs even if you harvested the day before - which isn't usually the case after you have a big harvest.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Many (okay, almost all) of the characters start out as pretty two-dimensional; as you get to know them more, they let you see more of their personality.

Yes, even Haley.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Chalk me up as another who bought the game at least partially due to this LP, and man is it addictive. I think its partially because of how regimented and short the days are. Because of the dual limits of time/energy, I feel like I want to get every bit of value out of each day. And then you get up, and its sunny out, so you need to spend a while watering, and then you might as well chop a tree down, and then I need to check the calendar to see if there's a birthday soon, and then I need a fish for a quest, and then...its past midnight again. It's like one more turn syndrome with Civ 5, but the turns are 15 minutes long.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Gully Foyle posted:

It's like one more turn syndrome with Civ 5, but the turns are 15 minutes long.

So... it's just OMTS?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I must once again thank DivineCoffeeBinge for buying a copy for the thread, along with Mega64 for providing a copy of this amazing game, and of course to Let's Play it. Dot Matricks might not have been our protagonist of the LP, but she is a farming machine on my own game.

And this game suffers extremely from OMTS, even when a turn is 15 minutes. It's like you wake up to see how your crops are doing, and once you finish watering them, you go to do other things to take care of your farm, socialize with the locals, fish, gather materials, forage for stuff to sell.

I generally use most of my energy to water my crops. I need to find a way to recharge my energy so I can do other things on days that it's not raining. I am only at Summer 16 of Year 1, and already I have not found a consistent way to spend my days, besides watering my crops and socializing with the neighbours, but it can be different if I decide I want to spend most of the day fishing, or foraging for crops, or getting more materials like stone so I can build things. It's VERY relaxing. I lose track of time while playing it.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 15, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Poil posted:

At least Penny's coping strategy seems more effective than, say, her mum's.

Befriending her is a good idea though.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 15, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I have a bad habit of dropping stuff into my wishlist based on a bunch of "it's so good you guys" reactions in the steam thread. Thanks for showing the gameplay - that's 15$ I'd never have gotten back.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I have a bad habit of dropping stuff into my wishlist based on a bunch of "it's so good you guys" reactions in the steam thread. Thanks for showing the gameplay - that's 15$ I'd never have gotten back.

That's cool, the game's not for everyone and all.

Also, looks like I'll be befriending Penny as well. I've recorded through Spring 6 so it'll be a couple updates before that's reflected in-game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
While I was torn between Abigail, Leah, and Maru when I first saw the bachelorettes (quite a while back, since I was following this game for a while), upon reading Penny's description I felt really bad for her and wanted to help her. She's like an A Wonderful Life character where if you don't save her via marriage her life goes to (or, well, remains) poo poo and is terrible. Hopefully you can help her even if you don't marry her and have her move in with you, or I'm going to feel bad when I play this.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Why would he do with a gift of something less beautiful than himself? :sparkles:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Mega64 posted:

"I Can't Believe it's Not PollenTM"

meh, I dunno

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Some of the villagers are kind of weird in what they like, to an almost random extent. At least he's not the kids, they're just as finicky as you'd expect kids to be.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
At first glance I dismissed this as a lazy Harvest Moon clone, but this thread really shows off all the care and charm that went into it. (Still not going to buy this game, but I'm enjoying the LP.)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I bought the game because I love a good farm sim once in awhile and this seems like a good one. In the second week of spring, just started the whole ore thing and that's pretty cool. I like it so far.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

This game looks really chill, I've already had a couple friends recommend it and this is just cementing my decision to pick it up once payday rolls around. :3:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Year 1: Spring 5

Up to the fifth day. This day had more screenshots than the last two days combined.

Spring (It's a Big World Outside)

For you see, we've got a lot to go through today.

For instance, guess who's waiting outside?

Hello to you too, Marnie.

I found it sitting outside the entrance to your farm! I think it's a stray... poor little thing. I think it likes this place! Hey, um... Don't you think this farm could use a good cat?

Yeah why not.

The game gives you random names if you're creatively bankrupt like I am, but fortunately Reveilled is way ahead of us.

Unfortunately, your pet cat/dog is pretty useless. You can pet it and fill its water bowl. That's...pretty much it. Even compared to the dog in the Harvest Moon games, the cat is pretty lackluster.

Anyway, first let's check our mail.

Remember that blocked path in the mountain region the other day? It's clear now thanks to the benevolent nature of Jojacorp. So now we can visit that area!

More importantly, our parsnips have harvested!

Our next objective is to reach Farming skill 1 and then craft a scarecrow. We're not at 1 yet though, but we will be at the end of the night. Unlike the other skills, farming only cares about crops harvested. Times you use the hoe or watering can are irrelevant. We only need harvest 13 crops to reach level one, so we can fulfill this as soon as tomorrow.

This also unlocks this quest, though this is one I'm going to put on the backburner for quite awhile. Raising animals is a sizeable investment in this game, one I'm going to hold off on for now while we are still figuring things out.

We do get a bit of money though, so that's nice.

I don't know if filling the pet's water dish actually affects anything.

The cat doesn't really do much, which makes sense because it's a cat. It's usually outside on sunny days, though.

I'm going to save a couple of parsnips for things and sell the rest in town. That way I get the cash today instead of tomorrow and can go ahead and put it into more seeds since people asked for more farming.

So onward with our farming adventure!

-----

Distant Banjo

Oh, hi there.

This is the Pelican Town Community Center... or what's left of it, anyway.

Now... just look at it. It's shameful. These days, the young folk would rather sit in front of the TV than engage with the community.

To be fair, the only person in Stardew Valley who watches TV a lot is George, who's also likely the oldest person here. Well, Abigail plays a lot of video games and Sebastian's on the computer a lot but they're kinda weird anyway.

Joja Corporation has been hounding me to sell them the land so they can turn it into a warehouse... Pelican Town could use the money, but there's something stopping me from selling it... I guess old timers like me get attached to relics of the past... Ah well.

*sigh*... Here, let's go inside...

Hmm? What's this?... I guess Vincent and Jas must've been playing in here. This place is even more dilapidated than I remember.

What?

What's the matter? Are you ill?

You saw something? Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if this place was full of rats.

Look, I think I'm going to head home. I need some lunch.

So you know how Harvest Moon was relatively grounded but had a few weird things here and there like the Harvest Sprites? Seems Stardew Valley has a bit of that, too.

-----

The cutscene ends with us back at the entrance of town, but I book it back here because, seriously, what the hell?

The community center has certainly seen better days.

But over here is...

Uh...

You know what, forget it. Let's get back to reality.

Parsnips are fast and cheap to buy, but that also means they don't net a ton of money.

I decide to diversify a bit. Five seeds each of potatoes, cauliflower, and parsnips, plus ten seeds of kale.

I meant to do one row for the first three but they got jumbled up and I didn't feel like restarting the day to fix it, so they'll come out wonky. Generally it's not a big deal, though it may matter later on when you upgrade the watering can.

Here's something else. On Fridays and Sundays, this mysterious merchant shows up in the northern end of the forest.

She sells a random hodgepodge of items for random prices, usually between 200-1000 gold. It's a good way to get rare or out-of-season items.

The stand-out thing for me is the Iridium Bar, which is the ultimate alloy. Of course, being so rare to begin with, it fetches a high price. Not worth worrying about for now.

This vendor always carries a rare seed, which grows only in fall and takes nearly the entire season to bloom. It's not a bad investment actually, but we'll have plenty of opportunities to get it again.

I do a bit more fishing, and after catching a Sunfish unlock my first achievement. There are a handful of achievements in the game, and besides unlocking the corresponding Steam achievement, there's a benefit or two for unlocking them, though mostly cosmetic stuff.

I also grab another Sunfish with three lumps of coal.

Speaking of Sunfish, guess who wants one?

Pelican Town

There's Sam, but he's still not talkative. He's not a mute or anything, I just keep catching him at bad times.

Oh, excuse me! I was mumbling about fashion again, wasn't I?

Evelyn is usually tending to the flowers around town in the afternoon.

George spends the whole day in front of that darned television set. I wish he'd go outside more. Some fresh air would do him good.

Harvey's up at the general store today.

This stuff can definitely be incorporated into a healthy diet.

You know, it's stuff like this that's why nobody ever talks to you.

Abigail's also lurking around.

Wow, I just realized it's Friday. Sometimes I totally lose track of time.

Yeah, she's definitely a goon alright.

OK maybe NOW you'll talk to me.

There's a lot more stuff going on, but it's also kinda noisy and hectic... It's hard to say which is better.

OK, there we go.

There's Elliott.

The fresh air of this valley is good for body and mind. A quick stroll outdoors always invigorates me.

If he doesn't like flowers, maybe he'll like this dead fish instead?

Yeah, I guess when you're a writer living on the beach any food you get makes for a good gift.

On Fridays, Penny has the kids outside near the museum.

Oh no... Mom's making lentil soup tonight.

... I don't know you.

If you dig in the dirt you can find some interesting things. One time I found a really old piece of pottery. I brought it to Gunther and he said it was over a thousand years old.

You know what else is buried in the dirt? Penny's hopes and dreams.

Anyway, Caroline is in the museum reading so now's a good a time as any to give her a dead fish.

Here's your payment, as promised.

Doing this actually nets us enough friendship points with Caroline to get our first heart! Not too shabby.

Oh hey it's Alex, I wonder what wonderful things he'll say to us today!

Hey, it's farm girl. Did you get new pants? You're doing something right.

Every time I do push-ups I try to do one more than last time. Pretty cool strategy, huh?

How is this man still single.

The Stardrop Saloon

On Fridays, the saloon gets pretty packed. Might as well join in on the fun!

The saloon is also a good place to buy certain foods and recipes. Some of these make for great gifts.

For instance, would you have ever guessed that Pam loves Beer?

He says this but most of the people haven't even come in yet.

Pam and Shane are here nightly, but Leah comes here several times a week to relax as well.

Then there's the Friday crew, which is the only time half these people enter the bar.

You've met my son Sebastian, right? He lives downstairs. He's a little shy, but I'm sure he'll warm up to you if you're nice to him.

I've been working hard all week. I deserve a little relaxation on a Friday night.

Sam, Sebastian, and Abigail also hang out here on Fridays.

Hmm... If I give the cue ball a bit of a top spin, maybe I could...

Demetrius also stepped inside with Robin.

Robin has a hot temper. It's better to stay on her good side. Don't tell her I said that.

And there's Shane as his usual chipper self.

Even Lewis has popped in!

Good evening, Fiona! I'm glad to see you relaxing at the saloon. It's good for you to take a break now and then. Your grandfather always worked himself too hard... I'll have an extra beer in his honor tonight.

Then Willy shows up.

If you really want to get the fish biting, make sure you put some bait on your hook.

The problem with that is our current rod can't use bait for...some reason.

Marnie's also here but she seems distracted by something else.

There's a juke box here that will play any song you've heard so far. The OST's good, you should seriously buy it (and the game if you haven't yet!).

So yeah, Fridays at the saloon are a pretty happening place.

A shame we can't stay longer, but for a simple farmer the job is never done.

For one thing, our farm is still a mess. And for another, I really want to build that bridge on the beach!

There are three types of regular (i.e. non-fruit) trees; maple, oak, and pine. There's only two differences between them, and one is the type of seed they drop. There's maple seeds, acorns, and pine cones respectively.

These seeds are only useful for planting new trees of that type and for making field snacks, where you mash one of each seed together for a quick energy boost.

It certainly doesn't hurt!

Anyway, that was a somewhat-eventful day. Hopefully with the rain we can relax and take it easy tomorrow.

Finally, we leveled up farming. We can craft scarecrows and fertilizer now. More on those later when they become relevant. For now, sleep.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mega64 posted:

On Fridays, Penny has the kids outside near the museum.

Oh no... Mom's making lentil soup tonight.

... I don't know you.

If you dig in the dirt you can find some interesting things. One time I found a really old piece of pottery. I brought it to Gunther and he said it was over a thousand years old.

You know what else is buried in the dirt? Penny's hopes and dreams.
Just a couple of hours ago I was walking into the museum and saw the kids but even after looking around outside I didn't see Penny anywhere. After my errand at the blacksmith I saw the kids standing like that and looking into the river and I still couldn't spot her so it made me a little worried. :ohdear:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it a good idea to fence in your crops, or is that a waste of wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

rotinaj posted:

Is it a good idea to fence in your crops, or is that a waste of wood?

Fences aren't really necessary in general. Plus they break very easily unless you use a material that's kind of a pain to get. They won't affect crops at all and don't stop crows.

You mainly use them to keep your animals in one place and to make your farm pretty.

• Locked thread