Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mega64 posted:

Fences aren't really necessary in general. Plus they break very easily unless you use a material that's kind of a pain to get. They won't affect crops at all and don't stop crows.

You mainly use them to keep your animals in one place and to make your farm pretty.

For the whole "stop grass spread" thing even, paths work better because they never break. Also, you can walk on them, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

Fences aren't really necessary in general. Plus they break very easily unless you use a material that's kind of a pain to get. They won't affect crops at all and don't stop crows.

You mainly use them to keep your animals in one place and to make your farm pretty.

Which is its own reward. :colbert:

I may be a min-maxing rear end in a top hat in my blood but even I want my farm to be pretty.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought the dog in HM protected the chickens from predators?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought the dog in HM protected the chickens from predators?

Yes, but so did a fence. And you could cheese one that would never break in the GBA games with the stones in your field.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, but does the cat make YOU happier? ...I wonder what that would even look like.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
About the only thing that happens with pets (currently) is that they act differently (dog will run around) and if you pat them enough a message will pop up telling you they love you. There's no counter to show the love stat, though, and it only happens the once when it reaches that count. Otherwise, they're pretty much just animated aesthetics.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

silversatyr posted:

they're pretty much just animated aesthetics.

Ahh, so just like real cats then. :v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Ahh, so just like real cats then. :v:

Better than real cats as real cats are malevolent assholes.

Indiiea
Sep 26, 2013
We've got an actual farm cat living on my mum's farm and she's literally the nicest cat I've ever met. Follows you around like a dog, wants you to pet her forever but almost never uses her claws. One of her kittens was just like her and the family that bought him had just one complaint -- he was too social and that's the first time I've ever heard that about a cat, haha.

I didn't read the thread at first since I wanted to experience the start of the game myself, but having played till summer now I thought it was about time to check this out. Even saw a few things I completely missed... there is a purple caravan? Digging for treasure? (heard what Penny said, used to leave the hoe at the farm for inventory space, couldn't dig and then I forgot about it). Well, at least I know now :toot:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah IRL barn cats kill all the rodents that eat your grain and poo poo. No rats in this game though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pavlov posted:

Yeah IRL barn cats kill all the rodents that eat your grain and poo poo. No rats in this game though.

Quite so, barn cats are how cats became associated with human civilization. When humans started settling and farming, our farms and granaries attracted endless numbers of problematic pests like rats. Some enterprising wildcats noticed that human farms were therefore steady buffet lines with ample shelter that larger predators would rarely venture near, and humans and cats alike decided it was a good arrangement.

There's been a number of interesting studies on how cats in general really haven't been domesticated in the sense that most human-associated animals have. A few breeds like ragdolls have, but your typical house cat is much, much closer to a wildcat than this is to a wolf:

http://i.imgur.com/rDiVe2z.gifv

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kill it! Kill it with fire! :gonk:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Year 1: Spring 6

Another rainy day. These days are great for getting side-work done.

Your pet stays inside when it rains because it's not dumb like you.

I don't think this is any different from sunny weather besides some neat cosmetic effects.

Another day, more mail.

So yeah apparently we got mail from the local wizard.

And also a mouse. Sure, why not.

Yeah, let's pay this wizard a visit. I've got the time after all.

A Glimpse Of The Other World (Wizard's Theme)

Well... He certainly looks the part.

I am Rasmodius... Seeker of the arcane truths. Mediary between physical and ethereal. Master of the seven elementals. Keeper of the sacred cha-... you get the point.

Here, I'd like to show you something. Behold!

You've seen one before, haven't you?

Mysterious spirits, these ones... For some reason, they refuse to speak with me.

I'm not sure why they've moved into the community center, but you have no reason to fear them.

Hmm? You found a golden scroll written in an unknown language? Most interesting...

I found the note. The language is obscure, but I was able to decipher it:

Hmm... 'One with the forest'... What do they mean?

Ah-hah! Come here!

Baby fern, moss grub, caramel-top toadstool... Can you smell it?

Here. Drink up. Let the essence of the forest permeate your body.

The rest is best experienced in video form:

https://a.pomf.cat/yyighr.webm
Youtube Version

But in case you can't view it:

Yep, the wizard just got us tripping.

But now we can read that scroll finally.

After that cutscene, you can visit the wizard like normal.

Ah, yes. I have predicted your arrival a long time ago, young Fiona. However, your fate is ultimately in your own hands.

In less crazy news, the abandoned house in the south is now occupied by a mouse that sells hats.

The main thing achievements unlock are hats, which are purely cosmetic. Too bad I'm broke.

In town, I scrounge up a copper bar. Not a bad find this early in the game!

I go ahead and fix this bridge because...

...it's a good source of income early in the game. Coral and Sea Urchins wash up here regularly and give some nice money.

It'll be a long while before we can get this.

I dug up a couple more things and donate them to the museum.

Anyway, let's get a good look at that tablet now, shall we?

There are six bundles for this room. Three of the other bundles are, of course, for Summer, Fall, and Winter.

These bundles are about finding specific items that grow in the wild during the season. Since I've played this before, I've prepared ahead of time and collected one of each.

There's also a construction bundle, where we donate a lot of wood, stone, and some hardwood...

...and an exotic foraging bundle where we donate rare items we can find in the wild. Note that we only need five of these items to complete it.

Completing bundles gives you various smaller rewards, plus a rather big reward if you complete all the bundles in a room. For this one, this repairs a bridge in the mountain area that lets us access a new area. The first few bundles we do also unlock bundles for other rooms.

If we buy a Joja Membership, the community center will be replaced with a JojaCorp Warehouse, where we can fulfill most (but not all!) of these things by spending money instead of collecting items. It's up to you whether the idea of a massive scavenger hunt is more fun or annoying than spending money on everything. And of course, whether you want to revive a small-town community center or help a mega-corporation thrive even further.

But we'll deal with that later. The rock blocking this way is gone, so now we can access the last early-game area, the mine.

The Adventure Guild

...I was just peering down into this old mine shaft. It's been abandoned for decades. Still, there's probably good ore down there. But a dark place, undisturbed for so long... I'm afraid ore isn't the only thing you'll find...

Name's Marlon, by the way. I run the adventurer's guild right outside.

Marlon runs the adventurer's guild. More on that once we can actually enter it, since we're still a scrub.

We've got a new objective.

To the right of the mine is the adventurer's guild.

But we're not proven yet.

The elevator doesn't work, so nothing else to do but enter through the hole!

First off, the mines actually have music depending on the level you're in, but they're not on the OST and I can't find them on Youtube. I might go back and dig them out later.

So, mining.

Mining the regular rocks will usually get you stones, sometimes geodes and ore as well. It's generally not worth bothering with these since they're an energy sink.

But sometimes you'll need to break them to clear the way, or to find the exit. The exit to the next floor is usually (but not always) hidden somewhere, usually under a rock. Of course, you can always retreat back to the top floor.

Sometimes you'll find certain items on the ground, like Quartz. Quartz has its uses.

Also, Marlon wasn't lying about creatures lurking in the darkness. There is actual combat in the mines, which is what your sword is for.

Combat is a very basic action RPG. You can usually get away with spamming your sword enough times to kill an enemy, but sometimes you need a bit more skill, or a better weapon. Sometimes killing an enemy will create an exit to the next level, and using your sword doesn't consume energy, so it's usually better to kill enemies before breaking stones to find an exit.

Slimes are the most basic of enemies, and they usually drop the slime item, which has some weird uses, and sometimes sap and algae. Slimes will edge toward you and tend to use lunge attacks. They aren't difficult to evade, and the sword has a special ability to guard for a second any attack coming your way, including lunging slimes. Don't underestimate them though, as they're sturdy and can beat you up, especially if they attack in groups.

We also have a health bar now, and running out of health is bad. We lose money and random items, so always be careful. Leveling up our combat skill will get us more HP, and foods that recover energy also recover health (though usually not as much).

These things just move back and forth in a line. They drop bug meat, which we'll later be able to craft into fishing bait, so they're not a bad drop.

Keep in mind we're already close to filling our inventory, and that's with me depositing a lot of stuff beforehand. You can find a lot of stuff in even a few floors of the mine.

This guy becomes a pussycat once you break the rock on its skull.

Sometimes you'll find boxes and barrels and stuff. You can just break them with your sword and find random loot.

This gives us our first piece of hardwood. Hardwood is used for higher-end stuff like the stables and certain craftables. Hardwood fences are the sturdiest in the game and only rarely break down. It's also difficult to find and essentially requires an upgraded axe to get reliably.

These are ore nodes, which means there's guaranteed ore here. There's similar nodes for jewels, though obviously those are rarer.

Eventually we reach level five of the mine. Every fifth level, we find an elevator, which lets us fast travel between levels with elevators. So next time we go to the mine, we can skip straight to five. Thus you generally want to explore five or ten levels of the mine each trip you make, though don't overdo it if you're low on energy or the enemies are beating you up.

Our next objective is to hit the 40th level. That...may take a little while.

For now, I'm willing to call it a day.

Hobo life hacks.

I've already almost filled my chest up. I should get rid of some of this soon.

But that can wait for tomorrow!

We leveled up mining, which lets us craft bombs. These things blow everything up in a small radius, helpful for clearing rocks without consuming energy and time, though there are later bombs that outclass them.

Not bad.

So that was my last gameplay session. We've pretty much got access to everything that's available for the early game. Time to make a couple more decisions.

1. Do we save the community center or buy a Joja membership? I think I know the answer but I want to be sure.

2. Let's start planning for a long-term project to aim for. Do we want to focus on reaching the end of the mine? Do we want to start saving up for a coop or barn, or do we want to upgrade our house first so we can start cooking? Maybe we should look ahead to upgrading our tools? Or maybe just take it easy and do stuff as we please? I'll be doing bundles as I go, so you don't have to worry about those, and all that stuff will happen eventually, it's more a matter of what we want to do first, and really it's more an excuse to add some conversation to the thread more than anything.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 28, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Save the community center!

Working towards upgrading tools sounds useful.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

On the one hand, you have a faceless, soul-sucking corporation that you ran screaming from.

On the other, adorable sentient jello shots.

Of course you side with the community center. :3:

As for medium-term focus, I'd start working on at least getting tools to copper because goodness is it a big time-savings (especially the hoe/watering can).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Save the center, just relax with no set goal.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Save the poo poo out of that center. We came here to get away from Joja, ain't no way we're helping them take this town over.

And upgrade your drat tools. Bet they're made of stone or something. Disgraceful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Save the Community Center. Getting bundle ingredients is a great excuse to show off elements of the game anyways!

For a medium-to-long-term goal, let's think about getting all of the marriage candidates to at least two hearts. This'll give us at least one cutscene with each of them, and a chance to actually see some personality, so that when the thread inevitably decides that one of these people must be kidnapped and kept in the basement married, we'll have a better idea of who they are.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Save the community and enter the copper age get to know the marriageable people.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 16, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I vote you start clearing out the clusterfuck that is your farm, then start planting maple trees for syrup.

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

Oh please save the community!

Upgrading your tools
would most likely be beneficial for all the activities present in the game (thus far?), which would probably mean spending some time in the mines to grab all the necessary materials to do so. I still love the idea of having a quaint farm, but upgrading tools like the watering can and such would help build that more efficiently.

Being friendly to the townsfolk along the way is nice as well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do maple trees not give hardwood? Weird.

Anyway, let's make Mr T proud and save the youthcommunity center! As for goals, friend the poo poo out of people - let's make a community to go in our center! If you were already doing that, yeah, better tools would be nice.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Big Business! Someone's gotta think of the Joja! Especially because you know you won't in your playthrough, but this is a good way to see what happens.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

BenRGamer posted:

Big Business! Someone's gotta think of the Joja! Especially because you know you won't in your playthrough, but this is a good way to see what happens.
Yeah, this. We need to side with Joja here because anyone you convince to buy the game will save the community center on their own.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BenRGamer posted:

On the other hand though, gently caress Joja

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Go Joja go! Mainly because I'll be going community center myself honestly.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Save the community center and get your tools built up

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Support the Community Center by Bundles
We left Joja Corp. Why would we just jump back in? Hell, in my game the only time I have gone to Joja Mart was to give Shane, Sam, and Pam a present/delivery for a quest. I don't even see what they have for sale.

Take it Easy
That will give an opportunity to show off more of the game. I spend most of my time watering my fields due to not making sprinklers. The iron and gold are just so far down the mine :smith:

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Down with Joja! Also, focus on getting a kitchen.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Save the UHF station!

Also, that video was quite possible the closest thing I can think of as an Earthbound experience with the crazy old man theme from FFVI.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like how he tells you his name, but as far as you're concerned that guy's name is just 'Wizard'.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

We just left Joja, so why would we go back? Let's save the orphanage community center.

Also, let's focus on getting through the mines. There's big money in that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is Rasmodius a Cowboy Wizard?

Make your house one you would want to live in Or at least, one you'd hate to live in a little less :v:

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Okay, so the first time I played the game (I've two games on the go atm - one is my personal playthrough, the other a Joja villainy run) I got a ton of resources from the beach. I then decided to stream my Joja run and... three. Three pieces of coral. I was so upset since I had plans to get myself a backpack, but nope. Three non-starred pieces of bloody coral. :<

Also, when you lose your health in the mines you will sometimes lose your memory of floors you've 'unlocked'. Again, in my Joja run, I got to floor 9, got killed and forgot 11 floors' worth of information, meaning that I had to start at the ground floor again. So yeah, be careful not to kill yourself whilst down there.

Down with Joja. Up with Kitchen!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Save the Community Centre, naturally.

Go for the mines, as it's different to how I've been playing because I'm not that good at action stuff (I'm only at mine level 30 in my second spring). But make sure to take breaks and socialise where possible.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So is this game essentially Harvest Moon in a more modern area?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Join Jojamart. Thrive.

And while you're at it, try to befriend as many people as possible. Pretty much everybody has at least one cutscene, and there's a few other reasons to make friends.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I don't really care what happens as long as we can get to know Fabio Elliott better.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh for heaven's sake, I'm going to have to buy this bloody game now, aren't I? The mining sold me completely.

Grumble grumble this subforum makes me buy so many games grumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Save the community center, upgrade your tools, and make some friends with the townsfolk!

• Locked thread