Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
any film where the american president is the hero who guns down baddies is instantly disqualified. that's some cult of personality poo poo right there guys, sort it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
there are too many counter examples to post. terminator 2, the rock, ronin, or the matrix all beat speed depending on your taste

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
your opening gambit was weak. SPEED is okay I guess (I haven't seen it in 15 years), but if you wanted to stir the pot at least pick one of the 90s action movies that people still watch

e: lol speed is not even the best keanu reeves 90s action movie. weak poo poo op

Bishop fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 11, 2016

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
it's actually a clever shell game of a thread to get everyone to talk about nineties action movies which is a great idea and a 90's action movie villain move solid work OP

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
why would I want to talk about 90s action movies when the 80s movies are sitting right there and far superior

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
TRUE LIES

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Shaquin posted:

it's actually a clever shell game of a thread to get everyone to talk about nineties action movies which is a great idea and a 90's action movie villain move solid work OP

Regardless, Speed is still the best.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3Kyv_iaNs

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
seriously though we live in a post "predator" world, why the hell should I care about 90s movies

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Bishop posted:

seriously though we live in a post "predator" world, why the hell should I care about 90s movies

You got time to bleed?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
cage did some good poo poo in the 90s though, and can we call independence day an action movie or is there too much plot?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Bishop posted:

cage did some good poo poo in the 90s though, and can we call independence day an action movie or is there too much plot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPdukhSNrW8

The Rock was a good movie too but TRUE LIES is better

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPdukhSNrW8

The Rock was a good movie too but TRUE LIES is better
it took me too long to realize that it's OK to like cheezy action movies and the rock, face/off, and con air are all great cage films

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
SPEED is great but HEAT and THE ROCK are better.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Is heat really an action movie though? It's more of a heist movie/drama with some sweet rear end action scenes. The same could be said about Ronin

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ronin is a bad movie though. You can tell by the way I didn't say it was the best.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

Ronin is a bad movie though. You can tell by the way I didn't say it was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxxH0lZSYgU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

ScrubLeague posted:

terrible opinon

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Ronin is in part good because it is a subversion of the archetypes you would expect, and infinitely more grounded in reality. This small group of individuals are all supremely competent and dangerous but in every way unassuming and average in appearance and demeanor. They are not distinguished by being supper ripped, some in fact being the opposite, or military trained badasses. Instead all seemingly coming from crypto intelligence backgrounds that puts them in a range of valuable and volatile skillsets that make them perfect for crime both in terms of ability and moral flexbibility where you intend to maybe do some murdering to get what you want.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ScrubLeague posted:

SPEED is great but HEAT and THE ROCK are better.

lmbo at this chucklefuck

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Hard Target.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Speed is memorable but the director clearly didn't know what he was doing because the pacing is a mess and there's no consistent theme or anything. When you think of Speed you think of awesome bus action but there's a whole weird subway train fight and weird Jeff Daniels subplot that just drags the whole thing down.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Shaquin posted:

Ronin is in part good because it is a subversion of the archetypes you would expect, and infinitely more grounded in reality. This small group of individuals are all supremely competent and dangerous but in every way unassuming and average in appearance and demeanor. They are not distinguished by being supper ripped, some in fact being the opposite, or military trained badasses. Instead all seemingly coming from crypto intelligence backgrounds that puts them in a range of valuable and volatile skillsets that make them perfect for crime both in terms of ability and moral flexbibility where you intend to maybe do some murdering to get what you want.
that's true and ronin is a classic but let's not pretend that a bunch of buff dudes fighting an invisible alien in the jungle is a bad premise for a movie

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Demolition Man

taco bell

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Clearly the answer is Street Fighter. Actually, The Fifth Element

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Hunt For Red October

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Thanks for providing me a video of the only good part of Ronin. There's no reason for anyone to watch any other part of that movie.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Roger Craig posted:

Demolition Man

taco bell

DEMOLITION MAN owns but it's a comedy more than it's an action movie.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Roger Craig posted:

Demolition Man

taco bell

ah yes, in the future taco bell wins the fastfood wars and not somewhere that doesnt make you poo poo within 30m of eating

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Hot Karl Marx posted:

ah yes, in the future taco bell wins the fastfood wars and not somewhere that doesnt make you poo poo within 30m of eating

I bet taco bell could make mad money serving that same dish in two years for the 25th anniversary of Demolition man.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

terminator 2 is the goat sorry

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Actually the correct answer is TWISTER,

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
T2

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
T2 isn't even the best Terminator movie.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ninefingers posted:

Hard Target.

I'm gonna take you to the bank, Ninefingers. To the blood bank!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ScrubLeague posted:

T2 isn't even the best Terminator movie.

Yeah no one cares what you think because you're an idiot.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

1redflag posted:

I'm gonna take you to the bank, Ninefingers. To the blood bank!

Edit: wrong movie, but my comment still stands. Instead, imagine I posted the picture of Wilford Brimley riding away on a horse while the building behind him explodes.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
If you say so, GBS superstar BigBoss

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Hard Boiled is the best 90s action movie - completely over the top violence, stylish cinematography, bombastic characters, you name it.

Speed is probably #4 behind the Rock at 2 and T2 at 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Nthing Heat. It has one of the best shootout scenes in any film. Only surpassed by the elevator scene in the Matrix.

• Locked thread