Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play X-Men: Destiny

X-Men: Destiny is an "action-RPG" developed by Silicon Knights for the PS3 and Xbox360. The Wii and DS versions do not exist. The game was met with a decent amount of hype before release, but it fell on its face at launch. It has a slew of technical issues: minor graphical glitches, sub-par character animation, audio clipping, sound desync, and if you're really unlucky it just flat-out crashes. Critics weren't too fond of the gameplay, either. They mocked its billing as an action-RPG, asserting it was more of a straight-forward beat 'em up, and very underwhelming by that genre's standard as well.

So, why am I playing it? Well, it's not all bad. The RPG elements are useless and the combat is so shallow that you could breeze through just mashing the square button... on Normal Mode. For some reason, the difficulty select in this game is abhorrently labeled, and the Hard -or "X-Treme"- difficulty is what should have been the default. Don't misunderstand me: I am not saying that the game is better simply when it is more difficult. Hard Mode actually makes the player use the game mechanics and explore the design as intended. Normal Mode doesn't. That's kind of a big deal.

Does Hard Mode make the game good? I dunno! I was never very good at that kind of judgment. I can tell you that this Let's Play will make X-Men: Destiny look a hell of a lot better than any other press media or post-release gameplay.

About this Let's Play in particular:

We're going to only play through the game once, as a single character, with one of the three available powers. I debated myself over this for a long time, but this is definitely the better decision. Only one of the characters has interesting dialogue, and the powers are almost interchangeable, save for a few nuances.

Videos:

Extras:

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Emma Frost: "Try Jumping"

I'm surprised this game came out in 2011, it looks much older.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Emma Frost: "Try Jumping"

I'm surprised this game came out in 2011, it looks much older.

Yeah, you could be forgiven if you thought it came out in 2007.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh man Destiny Control sounds cool I wonder what tha...

XMen Destiny posted:

this power lets you manipulate your mutant's body mass, usually in the form of a hard rock coating.

Why would they name it that?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Oh man Destiny Control sounds cool I wonder what tha...

Why would they name it that?

I think it's "Density Control", though I made the same mistake at first.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Silicon Knights, I live 5 minutes from their offices, or lived, I guess. I always wanted them to be less awful :C

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I liked the way you could mix and match powers in this game, even though the combat was pretty blah. I played it on Normal, so that's probably why I found it that way.

Adrian needs a superhero code name. Shadow Matter plus Ice Skin...hmmm. How about Cold Shadow?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

I liked the way you could mix and match powers in this game, even though the combat was pretty blah. I played it on Normal, so that's probably why I found it that way.

Adrian needs a superhero code name. Shadow Matter plus Ice Skin...hmmm. How about Cold Shadow?

There's actually a decent use for the powers in Hard Mode, I think.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Have a sneak peak of the next update.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its only sad that this game fell so hard on its face that it landed Silicon Knights in a lawsuit that forced extra copies of this and Too Human to be destroyed because it wasted such a good idea for an Xmen game, create your own mutant and decide where you stand in the conflict, so badly. The execution of this should have been a no brainer but we already have issues of only one of the predetermined pasts being worth a drat.

I mean Xmen as a franchise is always kind of hosed because its assuming genetics/Nature would be kind in giving people powers all the time and not just giving them a mutations that literally kills them in some horrible comic book fashion 9 times out of 10 as well play off the idea that we as a species violently wipes out "less evolved" hominids when very recent studies suggest that we modern humans are very much genetically similar to Neanderthals to the point that we likely just mated until only Homo Sapiens with 99% Neanderthal DNA were left, but this should have been easy and perfect for an Xmen title. How can you gently caress something like this up?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crabtree posted:

Its only sad that this game fell so hard on its face that it landed Silicon Knights in a lawsuit that forced extra copies of this and Too Human to be destroyed because it wasted such a good idea for an Xmen game, create your own mutant and decide where you stand in the conflict, so badly. The execution of this should have been a no brainer but we already have issues of only one of the predetermined pasts being worth a drat.

I mean Xmen as a franchise is always kind of hosed because its assuming genetics/Nature would be kind in giving people powers all the time and not just giving them a mutations that literally kills them in some horrible comic book fashion 9 times out of 10 as well play off the idea that we as a species violently wipes out "less evolved" hominids when very recent studies suggest that we modern humans are very much genetically similar to Neanderthals to the point that we likely just mated until only Homo Sapiens with 99% Neanderthal DNA were left, but this should have been easy and perfect for an Xmen title. How can you gently caress something like this up?

I really don't understand what direction they were trying to take, here. If they wanted it to be an action-brawler, they could've just advertised it that way. But instead they advertised it as an Action-RPG where your choices have meaningful impact. Which it isn't.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I think it's "Density Control", though I made the same mistake at first.
Dentistry Control would have been amazing :kheldragar:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

I really don't understand what direction they were trying to take, here. If they wanted it to be an action-brawler, they could've just advertised it that way. But instead they advertised it as an Action-RPG where your choices have meaningful impact. Which it isn't.

The first and most crucial part of that second part is making sure you have choices that matter at all to begin with. But many big RPGs have left "choice" to be a different colored yet similar ending so it isn't like SK was the only one who decided and advertised that RPGs are games where choices matter. They still damned themselves going down this road as lazily and apparently as illegally as they did, but there is much more this needed to be if it wanted to feel like an RPG and not a brawler foremost.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crabtree posted:

The first and most crucial part of that second part is making sure you have choices that matter at all to begin with. But many big RPGs have left "choice" to be a different colored yet similar ending so it isn't like SK was the only one who decided and advertised that RPGs are games where choices matter. They still damned themselves going down this road as lazily and apparently as illegally as they did, but there is much more this needed to be if it wanted to feel like an RPG and not a brawler foremost.

I think it's much more noticeable here than it is anywhere else. In other games like this there are branching paths, and the "Faction" meter influences how the game plays out. But here the cutscenes just have slightly different dialogue.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Crabtree posted:

I mean Xmen as a franchise is always kind of hosed because its assuming genetics/Nature would be kind in giving people powers all the time and not just giving them a mutations that literally kills them in some horrible comic book fashion 9 times out of 10

They do this pretty often. For every "Laser eyes" there are mutations that just made a guy's body completely jelly. You can see his bones and stuff. And some powers, like Kitty Pryde's, would flat out kill you if you couldn't control it. Imagine if Kitty phased in her sleep and just fell through to the Earth's core. That idea is also the concept behind the Morlocks. Unless you just mean flat out that the X-gene would kill them at birth or something. That would be stupid.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

They do this pretty often. For every "Laser eyes" there are mutations that just made a guy's body completely jelly. You can see his bones and stuff. And some powers, like Kitty Pryde's, would flat out kill you if you couldn't control it. Imagine if Kitty phased in her sleep and just fell through to the Earth's core. That idea is also the concept behind the Morlocks. Unless you just mean flat out that the X-gene would kill them at birth or something. That would be stupid.

There's this one poor kid who got the "power" to uncontrollably set people ablaze with his mind. Wolverine had to kill him.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There was also a mini-series recently about a kid whose mutant power was to make himself explode. Once. And it would kill him if he did so. Granted, it was a comedy series, but it did feature a few characters with less than useful powers. Grant Morrison's run on the book did the same, featuring a guy with three faces named Ugly John, Glob Herman, the aforementioned skeleton blob guy, and a girl with half a dozen mouths on her necks who could project creepy whispering.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There was also a mini-series recently about a kid whose mutant power was to make himself explode. Once. And it would kill him if he did so. Granted, it was a comedy series, but it did feature a few characters with less than useful powers. Grant Morrison's run on the book did the same, featuring a guy with three faces named Ugly John, Glob Herman, the aforementioned skeleton blob guy, and a girl with half a dozen mouths on her necks who could project creepy whispering.

How did he know he had superpowers if the second he found out, he would die?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

He tests positive for the mutant gene and Beast is able to extrapolate his power from that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

After spending a couple hours playing Young Justice: Legacy, I think I appreciate X-Men: Destiny a lot more. Things could've been much worse.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
If you are able to make your own choices, a "call them out on their bullshit" dialog option would be nice. Granted, Adrian is spewing a lot on his own, but two people each being able to see trough the other person's bullshit while being blind to their own is hardly unheard of.

Anyway, having seen a bit of Aimi, her background story had no relevance at all as far as I saw. There is one big advantage to it though, her switching between helping the X-men and the brotherhood doesn't make her look inconsistent, it just looks like she goes with whatever she's feeling. I imagine the third character will have a similar deal.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crystalgate posted:

If you are able to make your own choices, a "call them out on their bullshit" dialog option would be nice. Granted, Adrian is spewing a lot on his own, but two people each being able to see trough the other person's bullshit while being blind to their own is hardly unheard of.

Anyway, having seen a bit of Aimi, her background story had no relevance at all as far as I saw. There is one big advantage to it though, her switching between helping the X-men and the brotherhood doesn't make her look inconsistent, it just looks like she goes with whatever she's feeling. I imagine the third character will have a similar deal.

It feels the dialogue choices were an afterthought, really.

Aimi and Grant's background stories have no relevance at all, yes. They seem less crazy when they choose different options, but they're also dull as cardboard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Purifiers were trying to get this. I got rid of them."

"I doubt that."

*boss fight*

"I brought you the package! I didn't let the purifiers get it!"

"Why didn't you say so?"

I've seen jokes that Gambit is brain damaged, but in this case I think it is literally true.

So far every mission of this game feels more like the start of a f2p Xmen MMO.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Lotish posted:

"Purifiers were trying to get this. I got rid of them."

"I doubt that."

*boss fight*

"I brought you the package! I didn't let the purifiers get it!"

"Why didn't you say so?"

I've seen jokes that Gambit is brain damaged, but in this case I think it is literally true.

So far every mission of this game feels more like the start of a f2p Xmen MMO.

I'm not even sure why Gambit attacked us.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

I'm not even sure why Gambit attacked us.

Boredom? He's been holed up in that nightclub for who knows how long. Probably just wanted to hit something.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've been fascinated with this game for a while, as well as the fall of Silicon Knights (I loved Eternal Darkness). I know it's Kotaku (and they can be pretty hit and miss) but this article seems to provide a pretty good answer for what happened with this game and Too Human: http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x-men-destiny

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Polaron posted:

I've been fascinated with this game for a while, as well as the fall of Silicon Knights (I loved Eternal Darkness). I know it's Kotaku (and they can be pretty hit and miss) but this article seems to provide a pretty good answer for what happened with this game and Too Human: http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x-men-destiny

This game was always fascinating to me as well. I enjoyed it but I cannot say it is recommended to anyone.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SonicRulez posted:

Well I meant more than just "you look weird" like the Morlocks and less comically lethal and short lived than explosion boy, but more debilitating in a sense to flesh out the need to train mutants. Like way more lost causes to make Magneto sort of rethink the whole Homo Superior line if 6 out of 7 mutants can even take care of themselves let alone fight aliens, robot racists and other mutants on a regular basis. My problem is that even with the occasional sob story, there are still so many powerful x groups around on top of Wolverine being loving everywhere in the Marvel universe at any given time, that they present the idea that evolution is an upward spiral, when its never been anywhere near that benevolent. Pet peeve for a comic that's mixing racism with super genetics, but it's what ticks me off.

You'd think with how much we travel underground we'd just use Subterranea as a hub world after we beat up Moleman.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of my favorite mutants for that sort of thing was Chamber. Powerful psychic energies in his chest cavity that just exploded outward and blew off his lower jaw. He's sustained by this maelstrom in his chest because he basically doesn't have organs, and it makes getting a date a real bitch.

Also, Rockslide is a hoot.

If that face doesn't say "shoot me," I don't know what does.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 16, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

What a beautiful name

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This one's for you, Morph.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

One of my favorite mutants for that sort of thing was Chamber. Powerful psychic energies in his chest cavity that just exploded outward and blew off his lower jaw. He's sustained by this maelstrom in his chest because he basically doesn't have organs, and it makes getting a date a real bitch.

Also, Rockslide is a hoot.

That's... pretty drat depressing and I should maybe start reading New X-Men.

I find that they do try to make the most out of their shoddy dev cycle with a story that tries to be engaging, but they're kinda being transparent now about this game having one track to follow, without so much as divisive sidetracks as more little sidequests that just give points to either Paragon X-Men or Renegade the Brotherhood. The camera at least doesn't seem to give much problems for now.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dinictus posted:

That's... pretty drat depressing and I should maybe start reading New X-Men.

I find that they do try to make the most out of their shoddy dev cycle with a story that tries to be engaging, but they're kinda being transparent now about this game having one track to follow, without so much as divisive sidetracks as more little sidequests that just give points to either Paragon X-Men or Renegade the Brotherhood. The camera at least doesn't seem to give much problems for now.

The camera is zoomed out far enough that it's never an issue, unlike the non-existent and intensely depressing Nintendo Wii version that again doesn't exist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What is the protagonist's power anyway? How are the upgrades justified in the story?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

What is the protagonist's power anyway? How are the upgrades justified in the story?

Our power is "Shadow Matter", which is manifesting dark matter into a tangible form so we can use it as daggers and hit people with it. The upgrades are just emergent properties of our base power, I guess. Though we do pick up other mutants' X-Genes for... some reason.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The protagonist also has some degree of super strength and enhanced mobility (although I'd argue that you'd get that automatically if you grow stronger without increasing your body mass) and may pick something else up on the way. He or she is also quickly becoming on par with the X-men, who have both far more training and experience, so either the protagonist has considerable stronger mutant powers or it's a being the main character thing.

Anyway, the X-men and the Brotherhood seem to compete over who's the most obnoxious. The Brotherhood is in a good lead, but Colossus is trying hard to even the score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Crystalgate posted:

The protagonist also has some degree of super strength and enhanced mobility (although I'd argue that you'd get that automatically if you grow stronger without increasing your body mass) and may pick something else up on the way. He or she is also quickly becoming on par with the X-men, who have both far more training and experience, so either the protagonist has considerable stronger mutant powers or it's a being the main character thing.

Anyway, the X-men and the Brotherhood seem to compete over who's the most obnoxious. The Brotherhood is in a good lead, but Colossus is trying hard to even the score.

*tovarisch

• Locked thread