Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
the USA USA USA chant is something I have seen from time to time. oftentimes it is a cheer while at other times it has been used to drown out dissent.

it is simple to say and requires no practice, such that even the most rural of country bumpkins can pick it up.

i am curious, however as to what it actually signifies. does it represent a healthy love of country or is it a manifestation of latent american nationalism?

of note is the fact that I've seen it only happen in of GOP rallies, but never in rallies for democrats

what do you think about that chant and/or american nationalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Balls

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its freedom, OP

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
The reason it never happens at Democrat rallies, whole foods stores, and mosques is because they hate America. It's a shame. Hopefully President Trump will make hating America illegal. Love it or leave it!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That Robot posted:

i am curious, however as to what it actually signifies. does it represent a healthy love of country or is it a manifestation of latent american nationalism?

do you not know what latent means or did you just forget the "b"?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjskWH1m8UE

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I'm curious where this idea comes from that only people in the USA like/love their country, or chant its name at sporting events and such. Goons being goons?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ChesterJT posted:

I'm curious where this idea comes from that only people in the USA like/love their country, or chant its name at sporting events and such. Goons being goons?

its pretty much true, the loving part. most countries dont allow such frivolities. also suck my dick you little bitch

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
USA USA USA

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

lots of people think their country is cool and good or a nice place to live, but in the USA theres definitely more of an idea that you constantly have to say its the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

OP you cultured huh

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

lots of people think their country is cool and good or a nice place to live, but in the USA theres definitely more of an idea that you constantly have to say its the GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD

Actually I feel like the cool thing in america is to poo poo on it and act like every other first world country is some utopia devoid of classism, racism, and sexism. Admittedly I have lived in the pnw for all my politically aware life but nationalism is certainly not a thing I've really ever experienced here.

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

That Robot posted:

requires no practice

what do you think learning the letters 'u', 's', and 'a' is, OP?

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
banging your mum takes less practice than that human being lol

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Stop giving the dang dog alcohol

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
fyi, Free Cheese eats stomach cancer out of dgsw's butt, hth your autism

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
burn the usa down. hth.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
MY USA USA USA WAS TURNED INTO A MEME BY IDIOTS

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

ArbitraryC posted:

Actually I feel like the cool thing in america is to poo poo on it and act like every other first world country is some utopia devoid of classism, racism, and sexism. Admittedly I have lived in the pnw for all my politically aware life but nationalism is certainly not a thing I've really ever experienced here.

America is the root of all the world's problems just like republicans are the root of all of America's problems

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

the pnw is definitely more of an exception in that regard and even there its mostly just the urban areas and certain towns.

also, did you not even have to pledge allegience to the flag at public school? because if you did, you've experienced nationalism. most other countries don't do that poo poo and find it weird and creepy

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Earwicker posted:

do you not know what latent means or did you just forget the "b"?

yeah blatant is what I meant

autocorrect is poo poo. i would type in mostly lower case for style reasons but that motherfucker capitalizes stuff, changes av into AV and remembers everything I misspelled and prompts me to use it

autocorrect is a dead motherfucker is what I'm saying

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It means "United States of America". Thanks!

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

That Robot posted:

autocorrect is poo poo.

thats the second reason why you shouldnt be posting.

the first is that youre poo poo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

the pnw is definitely more of an exception in that regard and even there its mostly just the urban areas and certain towns.

also, did you not even have to pledge allegience to the flag at public school? because if you did, you've experienced nationalism. most other countries don't do that poo poo and find it weird and creepy

I recall doing the pledge as a kid (I was born in indianna) but I have no recollection of doing it when my family moved to seattle (~4th grade).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
its a dying rally that appears stronger than ever due to ironic dota 2 players in seattle and semi-serious trump rally attendees

blondcockerel
Feb 28, 2014

OP, you are trying way too hard. All countries have their weird nationalistic behaviors, first of all, and second of all - it's not a GOP-specific behavior. The most famous usage of the 'USA USA USA' chant was when people crowded around the White House gates to celebrate the death of bin Laden. Since the number of participants was large, and the District of Columbia has voted Democratic for a very long time, it's safe to say that it was not only Republicans that gathered there.

It's also silly to talk about nationalism as an exclusively negative behavior that can be distinguished from 'a healthy love of country'. It's incredibly difficult to form a nation without a national identity, and you can't have a national identity without nationalism that distinguishes the national identity group from the others. That's not to say that nationalism isn't unhealthy - however, like all aspects of human identity, it exists on a spectrum of behavior from healthy to unhealthy. So, with the chanting... :shrug: who really gives a poo poo? It's kind of silly (if a bit charming) to me, but then, I've never felt that much of my identity is based around my country.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

ChesterJT posted:

it's not so much that I don't recognize the nationalism in other countries (obviously that happens) but the peculiarity of american nationalism juxtaposed with the ideals of the framers

Earwicker posted:

yeah the manifest destiny stuff is very strong. we sort of have a state cult with american civil religion which is a real thing.

that wikipedia article posted:

Americans embrace a common "civil religion" with certain fundamental beliefs, values, holidays, and rituals, parallel to, or independent of, their chosen religion. Presidents have often served in central roles in civil religion, and the nation provides quasi-religious honors to its martyrs—such as Lincoln and the soldiers killed in the Civil War. Historians have noted presidential level use of civil religion rhetoric in profoundly moving episodes such as World War II, the Civil Rights Movement, and the September 11th attacks.

SilkyP posted:

OP you cultured huh

yeah i went to a bunch of school and i read a bunch of stuff. also im cultured by my steady cannabis intake. :okpos:

That Robot fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 12, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

blondcockerel posted:

OP, you are trying way too hard. All countries have their weird nationalistic behaviors, first of all, and second of all - it's not a GOP-specific behavior. The most famous usage of the 'USA USA USA' chant was when people crowded around the White House gates to celebrate the death of bin Laden. Since the number of participants was large, and the District of Columbia has voted Democratic for a very long time, it's safe to say that it was not only Republicans that gathered there.

It's also silly to talk about nationalism as an exclusively negative behavior that can be distinguished from 'a healthy love of country'. It's incredibly difficult to form a nation without a national identity, and you can't have a national identity without nationalism that distinguishes the national identity group from the others. That's not to say that nationalism isn't unhealthy - however, like all aspects of human identity, it exists on a spectrum of behavior from healthy to unhealthy. So, with the chanting... :shrug: who really gives a poo poo? It's kind of silly (if a bit charming) to me, but then, I've never felt that much of my identity is based around my country.

too long not enough ttrump didn't read

USA

USA

USSA!

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
T(rump)L ; DR

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

drunk dog posted:

what do you think learning the letters 'u', 's', and 'a' is, OP?

drunk dog posted:

banging your mum takes less practice than that human being lol

small children, the brain damaged, the blind, incest babies or even libertarians can say "you ess ayy" without being functionally literate

drunk dog posted:

thats the second reason why you shouldnt be posting.

the first is that youre poo poo.

i mean yeah, we all come from poo poo. plants grow from often fertilized soil (lots of poop) and animals like cows eat the plants. when you eat the cow, some atoms that used to be poo poo may become part of you

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
mushrooms grow from cowshit and have shown me the best ego loss true reality i've experienced but i still crave death tho lol

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

That Robot posted:

the USA USA USA chant is something I have seen from time to time. oftentimes it is a cheer while at other times it has been used to drown out dissent.

it is simple to say and requires no practice, such that even the most rural of country bumpkins can pick it up.

of note is the fact that I've seen it only happen in of GOP rallies, but never in rallies for democrats

what do you think about that chant and/or american nationalism?

its prob the most douchechill inducing chant i can think of

even sieg heil can be kinda funny at times in an ironic way i guess when u see lots of white ppl in the 21st century pretending they are amongst the third reich

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I too, like :c:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

blondcockerel posted:

oh, i know its not specific to the gop; a lot of people say it in the us without exactly putting much thought into it.

also i was not trying hard at all, friend. i was on the train when i wrote the op and idly pounded it out with my thumbs while crammed between people on the subway.

also wanted to follow lowtax's suggestion of doing something other than the usual im gay cuck stuff, though it is fun to say

blondcockerel posted:

i'm also not doubting the need for a national identity in the least. nor am i specifically criticizing the practice of the chant. what i am questioning is the deeper meaning of it. i love this country but sometimes its like wow, this is some loving crazy poo poo happening. is this chant something good or is it a harbinger of something lovely and that sort of thing.

e: also check this out

mr washington getting he dick wet in heaven

That Robot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 12, 2016

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

That Robot posted:

im gay cuck

proof

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That Robot posted:

is this chant something good or is it a harbinger of something lovely and that sort of thing.

by itself its neither. consider Homer Simpson who frequently enjoys doing this chant. is Homer a bad or malicious person? not particularly, he's mostly just thoughtless. when he does the chant its usually just because he's happy. but under the wrong circumstances, like if you have hundreds of thousands of angry Homer Simpsons who are goaded into some kind of rage or frenzy by a manipulative leader, that could certainly be dangerous.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Harald posted:

USA USA USA

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Someone please take that dog outside its shtting all over the place

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
what youre saying is a dog buttchugging beer and then getting drunk on it and then making GBS threads said beer onto your mother's carpet, which she will be so upset about when she gets back in town, obv less upset than when you move out of the house at age 30, cause youre gay and cant find work as a blind retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
America owns, gently caress everyone else

• Locked thread