Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
In New Delhi, some unsuspecting Dutch dudes I roomed with not only got the "your hostel is closed for holiday," they got shown a bootleg Lonely Planet book that had a phone number listed for their booked hostel that called a different number with a guy on the other end who was in on the scam. Impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Saladman posted:

What actually happens in this scam? Do you just stay in a lovely and overpriced hotel, or do you wake up without your kidneys?

It seems to be incredibly pervasive in India too, I think everyone I know whose traveled around India has had a tuktuk driver bullshit them with this.

Not sure. I can only say what those guys told me in that the scammers overcharge you by a ton with the hotel and keep bilking you with other scams. If the mark is willing to fall for one... The Dutch were taken to a money exchange place that tried to gouge them, but they knew what the rate should be and that's finally when they knew they were getting scammed. They bailed one way or another, wandered around for some time, and eventually stumbled across a cafe that had WiFi.

• Locked thread