Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

ReindeerF posted:

That's a good list, looks pretty European. Here are some that roll around SE Asia regularly:

• The blackjack scam where the Filipino befriends you, takes you home for dinner to meet [family member] and ends up teaching you blackjack - downhill from there. [Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines]
  • Drugging your drink on the bus and stealing your poo poo.
  • The scam bus from A to B that accidentally always takes too long and will only drop you at a lovely out of town guesthouse. [Bangkok-Cambodia mostly, but happens elsewhere]
  • Today Buddha holiday, internationally famous tourist attraction closed, but let me take you on a tour. [Mekong region].
  • Purchasing any kind of real estate, basically, but especially condos near a beach.
  • Anything a foreigner of your own cultural background offers or tries to "help" you with.
  • Comedy sick buffalo option.

It's hard to remember them all, because once you're not on the tourist trail long enough, they become sort of invisible. Still, these happen often enough that I've read someone mentioning them in the last year.

The best advice over here in Warm Asia is to smile, put some earbuds in and don't talk to anyone who approaches you anywhere you spot a single other foreigner. Learn the local phrase for "no thanks" in every language and practice it to fluency, it's an excellent repellent. Wearing fisherman pants, a backpack and carrying a map is pretty much chumming the water and makes for entertaining results for the rest of us, though. That said, the most common, and biggest scams are always foreigner on foreigner and people who speak your language and look like they might be one of you are your biggest enemy as a newly arrived foreigner - something that's true all over the world.

Another one on the Bangkok-Cambodia route is the fake government office near the Poipet border crossing. Bus gets you to the station right near the border, Tuk-tuk drivers appear to be taking people to the crossing, but a few veer off to a building with uniformed people who appear to be official, providing you the forms needed to get across and selling transportation on the other side of the border because oh don't you see the Cambodians can't be trusted. We'll even send this guy with you, so you feel confident. You pay, you go across, guy disappears.

I had a friend fall for the drugging the drink thing too, in Manila, was offered a complimentary limo ride. Said the can of OJ didn't look open or tampered with, but then woke up in a ditch outside the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread