Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I've just become super suspicious and distrustful of anyone who attempts to talk to me while traveling anywhere... ESPECIALLY if they start speaking English.

It's kind of sad to get that jaded, but thems the breaks.

It's tough to learn what's normal friendliness for a culture until you've been there a while. I was in the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic and Dominicans are legitimately very open and friendly people, who will totally offer you drinks, food, etc. However, in the resort areas you'd have to be on alert. Sometimes Haitian kids would start shining your shoes without you even asking and then demand money. Fortunately it was culturally acceptable to cuss out kids...

I guess it's not a scam, per se, but getting ripped off as a foreigner is pretty annoying and harder to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread