Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Toe Rag posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by saying your telco providers aren't "well connected enough" to port your numbers from other carriers. LNP works through a 3rd party database (eg, Neustar) and doesn't require any degree of connectivity on your providers part, other than being able to "understand" when it receives a call to a ported number. That's all standardized and legally mandated, though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

This couldn't be any far from reality.

Alereon posted:

The new provider has to have a switch in the same LATA (geographic area) as the number however, which isn't always the case for smaller providers. This can get really complicated in an area that straddles a LATA boundary.

Close. You need to be connected to the access tandem if you want inter-LATA calls to work from as well as the local tandem if you want intra-tandem calls to work. Sometime they are the same switch, but in larger LATAs there are often many local tandems you need to interconnect with. You don't need to have a switch in the LATA, you do need to generate a in-LATA CLLI, but it just references your actual switch. According to LERG my network only has three switches. And we're one of the largest footprint telephone companies in the US. There is a bunch more nuance to it, but that's the gist. All numbers are in a rate center and that rate center is in a LATA.

If you have a solid connection to your VoIP provider, and they are a quality provider, g711 will work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Local and long distance calls are handled by different routing elements in the PSTN. If you call local the call will show up at the local tandem, if you call long distance the call will show up at the access tandem. Your network will need to have trunking in both places in order to receive the call.

• Locked thread