Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Toe Rag posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by saying your telco providers aren't "well connected enough" to port your numbers from other carriers. LNP works through a 3rd party database (eg, Neustar) and doesn't require any degree of connectivity on your providers part, other than being able to "understand" when it receives a call to a ported number. That's all standardized and legally mandated, though, so it shouldn't be a problem.
The new provider has to have a switch in the same LATA (geographic area) as the number however, which isn't always the case for smaller providers. This can get really complicated in an area that straddles a LATA boundary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I was more looking at it from a porting perspective, you aren't able to activate a number in your network unless you have an LRN within the same LATA to activate it on. This is checked in the NPAC systems when you try to activate, and lack of LRN availability was one of the bigger barriers to porting I saw. But that was only my piece. I used to work for the company that made the porting application carriers (except the top-tier wireless ones) used to actually do the port and activation process, our servers interfaced with NPAC. "Why does it say every LRN is invalid for this number" was a pretty common issue for some reason.

• Locked thread