Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hello AI!

I bought a house on March 4th! It has a garage!

This garage also has a problem. It was owned by people who don't know what a garage is for.

My wife and I moved the vast majority of our belongings into the new place yesterday. I started working on the garage by removing the stupid, pointless doors after we closed last week, so they're leaned against the walls/cabinets until I can cut them in half with the mighty power of a sawzall, which I managed to find today.tuf

Someone was a bit paranoid.

Breaking tables? Nah, just building codes.

Next post: Rampant wood downsizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
So many people getting garages in AI lately. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't understand what was happening in the garage before.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Same here, my guess is 3 massive deadbolted closets?

Save that wood and build shelves and mezzanines out of it! I have a shitload of parts and can still park 2 cars in my garage because of good storage.

Inspiration?

All that poo poo on the floor went up on the mezzanine. The table saw is gone, I was just borrowing it. My next step is to get rid of the cinder blocks and put proper 4x4 legs on that bench, and get rid of the smaller table and build one the same size, again with 4x4 legs. That will increase the storage space underneath both by a huge margin. I've got 2 transmissions and a welder under there now, I can add a couple spare wheels and a motor or two if I do it right.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 14, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

CharlesM posted:

I don't understand what was happening in the garage before.

That makes two of us. There is a lot of evidence this was owned by extreme helicopter parents, such as alarms on the bedroom doors.

Anyway, I finished cutting our victims to a transportable size.

Up next: Further Liberation of Space Through Destruction.

:getin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

There is a lot of evidence this was owned by extreme helicopter parents, such as alarms on the bedroom doors.

Whut. That's creepy as all gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah that sure looks like cells to me. Human traffickers?

Regardless that's some high quality wood. You can make some nice shelves.

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
Sadly, the amount of lumber that went into building that elegant storage solution would have gone a good ways towards a garden shed, providing separate places for cars and junk.

Congrats on the garage!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ugh, want to do more in the garage but we are painting the inside of the house. It desperately needs it too. I'm cool with painting but it's difficult when you'd much rather be doing something else.

I hope to make more progress next week.

I did pick up a set of Koni Yellows for the 240SX for $90, so I am very excited about that.

I also learned that the people living here had a special needs kid. Ending up with a special needs kid is one of my biggest fears :(

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I highly, highly recommend that you clean out all of your stuff in the garage, acid wash the floors, pressure wash it and then coat the floor in epoxy. It makes cleanup a breeze. I would also recommend that if you do epoxy the floor that you use an anti-skid media.

Hosting is mine.

I went with Legacy Industrial's 2 part epoxy and their coarse soft skid media.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I highly, highly recommend that you clean out all of your stuff in the garage, acid wash the floors, pressure wash it and then coat the floor in epoxy. It makes cleanup a breeze. I would also recommend that if you do epoxy the floor that you use an anti-skid media.

Hosting is mine.

Man, I want to epoxy my floor and paint my walls so drat bad, but cleaning my poo poo out would be a loving NIGHTMARE. I'm jealous.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Congrats on the house dude! The garage looks awesome and I'm super jealous, can't wait to see what you do with it.....It is kinda creepy right now though :v:

Wrar posted:

I also learned that the people living here had a special needs kid. Ending up with a special needs kid is one of my biggest fears :(

Oh god you ain't kidding, I'm overwhelmingly happy that my son turned out to be a healthy active little boy that loves cars and playing baseball. Right before he was born I was terrified something could be wrong, and then as he was growing he took forever to start talking and we were worried about poo poo like autism. So thankful he's a normal functioning kid.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Hosting is mine.

I did the same thing, with the Tremclad (?) kit from home depot.
It is the best thing I did with the garage.
Holds up against oil, engine hoists (gets a little scratched up when dragging the wheels, but rolling is fine) and other paints.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, I want to epoxy my floor and paint my walls so drat bad, but cleaning my poo poo out would be a loving NIGHTMARE. I'm jealous.

That was the first thing I did when I moved into the house. Unloaded everything into the garage. Moved all the furniture inside, then moved everything else into the living room so I could unpack and start doing the garage.

I've since painted the garage, doors, trim work, and hung additional lighting.

blindjoe posted:

I did the same thing, with the Tremclad (?) kit from home depot.
It is the best thing I did with the garage.
Holds up against oil, engine hoists (gets a little scratched up when dragging the wheels, but rolling is fine) and other paints.

I've had two spots flake that were dime sized. One of them was over a spot on the floor that never looked right and the other was an area over a chipped piece of concrete. I'm very happy so far.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Hosting is mine.

Legacy Industrial is good poo poo. I wish I had the cash to do it when I moved in, I could conceviably do it now, but the floor needs to be shotblasted due to oil stains. It would be a several week process, and I really can't just empty it without having a shipping container dropped off for me to fill.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

sharkytm posted:

Legacy Industrial is good poo poo. I wish I had the cash to do it when I moved in, I could conceviably do it now, but the floor needs to be shotblasted due to oil stains. It would be a several week process, and I really can't just empty it without having a shipping container dropped off for me to fill.

How bad is the floor? This is not new construction. This place was built between 68 and 73. The floor had oil staining, but it mostly came up after a sulfuric acid wash.

Wrar, I'm sorry for hijacking. I can back off if you would like.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My floor was epoxied which I thought was sweet when we bought the house. It's cracking and the added pressure of a floor jack cracks it. Chunks of epoxy and concrete sometimes come up so it wasn't applied properly or the slab is hosed. :( I really need to remove all that poo poo and throw racedeck tiles on it. It's also not really level at the door on one side so water pools up and freezes in the winter.

loving PO's, man.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

th vwls hv scpd posted:

How bad is the floor? This is not new construction. This place was built between 68 and 73. The floor had oil staining, but it mostly came up after a sulfuric acid wash.

Naw man. Epoxy floor is next on the list and this discussion is 100% relevant to my interest.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I want to epoxy the floor, but no way I'm moving all that poo poo to do so. Probably just lay down tile.

I wash the floor with Purple Power whenever I pull a project car out and squeegee the floor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

th vwls hv scpd posted:

It's bad enough, and it's had sealant either spilled or applied in places. loving PO's. I sent a bunch of emails back and forth with a couple of epoxy MFR's, and they all basically said that it needs to be reprofiled.

Wrar posted:

Naw man. Epoxy floor is next on the list and this discussion is 100% relevant to my interest.
I keep doing this, but hit up the GarageJournal's flooring section: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Larrymer posted:

My floor was epoxied which I thought was sweet when we bought the house. It's cracking and the added pressure of a floor jack cracks it. Chunks of epoxy and concrete sometimes come up so it wasn't applied properly or the slab is hosed. :( I really need to remove all that poo poo and throw racedeck tiles on it. It's also not really level at the door on one side so water pools up and freezes in the winter.

loving PO's, man.
If the concrete is coming up, it's not the epoxy, it's the slab. If the epoxy is peeling, then it's the application/product. That sucks. RaceDeck is nice, but spendy. If the floor is that out of level, you might want to bite the bullet and have it fixed properly, which would let you do either epoxy or tile.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've read that epoxy won't work for car ports because of sun exposure, is this true?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

leica posted:

I've read that epoxy won't work for car ports because of sun exposure, is this true?

Whoever did mine did about a 1 foot strip outside the garage. It is a completely different color shade than the indoor areas (darker somehow).

sharkytm posted:

If the concrete is coming up, it's not the epoxy, it's the slab. If the epoxy is peeling, then it's the application/product. That sucks. RaceDeck is nice, but spendy. If the floor is that out of level, you might want to bite the bullet and have it fixed properly, which would let you do either epoxy or tile.

Where I use a jack it'll chip and bring up a bit of concrete, and in other spots you can see like a checkerboard pattern where the epoxy is cracking. So it's probably a little of column A and a little of column B.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Sharkytm is right about hitting up Garage Journal. That's where I found out about Legacy Industrial. I think I emailed the rep from contact information he has in his signature. We talked back and forth about my scenario and he made product suggestions based on what I told him and how I said I was planning on prepping the floor.

Leica, I've read you shouldn't do it outdoors because the UV breaks down the epoxy over time. So it would probably work on a carport until it flakes up from UV exposure. Recoating something like that would probably require you to grind down the concrete to a bare surface in order for a recoat to stick.

Wrar, I really, really suggest using the grip additive. I have a friend in Houston that did his floors and didn't use it. When the weather conditions are right he says the humid air + cool slab = super slick. To the point he wont be able to use it until the a/c dries the air out.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

sharkytm posted:

I keep doing this, but hit up the GarageJournal's flooring section: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Ok, but what am I looking for? The sticky thread is 7 pages long and not exactly up to date.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

leica posted:

Larrymer posted:

Whoever did mine did about a 1 foot strip outside the garage. It is a completely different color shade than the indoor areas (darker somehow).

Epoxy based coatings can be applied outdoors. They will tend to change color a bit under sunlight, and light colors will see more of this change. What Larrymer is seeing is known as "Chalking" and it affects all epoxy based paints and coatings to some extent when exposed to UV light (sunlight). It's basically part of the coating breaking down and coming off.

Here, if you want to do some more reading.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I was thinking that too, and then I realized all I'd have to do is park the cars outdoors for the duration, and do the garage half at a time. Move all the poo poo over to the left, paint it, then move all the poo poo over to the right and repeat. This gives me hope.

God help you if you have so much stuff that it won't all fit in half your garage.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

Ok, but what am I looking for? The sticky thread is 7 pages long and not exactly up to date.

Read a bunch, message a few suppliers with pictures of your floor, what you want, and whatnot. It's a big forum with a ton of information and good people. A single thread isn't going to be one-and-done.

Anyhow, for UV exposure, you can coat the epoxy with a UV blocking topcoat, or skip epoxy and go with another coating system.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

Well, poo poo. It's been 16 months. I was sweeping the floors today and the epoxy bubbled up. No idea.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Not really much to report. We're almost done painting downstairs. I should have an update on Saturday, though, as I'm going to have some help in my demolition. I also found my 10lb sledge :getin:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Was thinking of buying a 60k house in some bums-hit city 30 minutes away for the garage only. I have a problem.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well, that took about 21 days longer than expected. Had lots of distractions lately from the garage. Some bad, but mostly good.

Anyway, Toplitzin and I did some demo work. This required some tunes courtesy of Judas Priest.

Right. Sledge plus sawzall equals a giant pile o stuff.

Spaaaaaaaace:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd probably put striker reinforcement plates on that door on the side, it looks like even a light kick would break the frame.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My inherited hell

Right side of the garage(purple photo) probably hasnt been opened in 15 years.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd probably put striker reinforcement plates on that door on the side, it looks like even a light kick would break the frame.
Good idea.

go3 posted:

My inherited hell

Right side of the garage(purple photo) probably hasnt been opened in 15 years.

:wtc: I am now much happier with the situation I inherited. Sheesh.

No new pictures, but I changed the cracked valve cover on my stupid BMW. Pictures when I get home.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Well, poo poo. It's been 16 months. I was sweeping the floors today and the epoxy bubbled up. No idea.

This same thing happened to the epoxy in my garage. Had been applied a couple years prior by the person who was renting it before, started coming up in huge chunks in high traffic areas. From the color and texture I bet we've got the same product, and the same issue : /

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Things I am bad at:
Updates
Rembering to take pictures
Posting pictures

Spent the past couple of days continuing to pick up the garage.

Quick update on the 330i: replaced the valve cover and oil cap, since the valve cover was cracked and the oil cap leaked a bit of vacuum. Probably need to replace the lovely aftermarket DISA valve too.

I replaced the broken Pioneer AVH-P5900DVD head unit with a newer bluetooth friendly disk free MVH-X560BT because matching amber lighting.

I got the place sorted enough to fit my 330i in it. As purdy as it is, the 330i will not live there on a regular basis. Update later err today! If I'm awake from working a modified shift this week that starts at 4 AM and a puppy that woke me up at 1 AM! Wooooo!

Wrar's list of car poo poo to do:

Mazda 3
Rotate tires at next oil change.

BMW 330i
Replace right rear tail light
Get the drat right side high beam to seat/working.
Install subwoofer and amplifier. RCA sound cables have been run, amp wiring kit was already purchased.
DISA? Ugh.
trailing arm bushings
differential bushings
transmission mounts (own)
engine mounts (buy)
shifter linkage fixes
Pray the drat thing doesn't break any more

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
WRAR's LIST OF gently caress YEAH MORE poo poo TO DO:
use this

to get some

WITNESS. 4 CAMS. 8 CYLINDERS. 32 VALVES.

GET THIS FUCKER ON THE ROAD. MORE LISTS AND poo poo SOON. 3 HOURS OF SLEEPPPdflksjl;kfjd;lsakjdf.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This week since Saturday has been a list of Things That Were Supposed To Happen But Did Not

Was supposed to get a lift/install a lift. Guy I was buying a lift from wanted a different lift and thought it was backordered. Now it's going to happen next weekend? Maybe next week. Not sure.

Was supposed to be flying to Boston, oh, about an hour ago.

drat it, weather.

I turned my frustration toward something useful. My cheapo Mustang wheels do not fit because the studs are too drat short. This will not do.

Thanks to the power of washers, nuts, and impact:

Much better.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
loving total failure to chooch.

Stupid drat anchor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006