Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
That felt way too much like something out of a comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

TWA operated from Terminal 5 at JFK. :eng101:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

TWA operated from Terminal 5 at JFK. :eng101:

Arent they in DC?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zero One posted:

Arent they in DC?

That's where they live but all the signs said JFK so Phillip definitely zipped over to New York for this mission

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

:stonk: That was pretty terrifying.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Henry is alive!

And older.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Zero One posted:

Henry is alive!

And he aged a year in 2 weeks!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Don't encourage Henry to wear cologne.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Paige coming clean.

Even if they know already it's still :ohdear:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Elizabeth's gonna go make Paige kill him AND dig the hole.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Oh man, I was really hoping they'd vaporize Pastor Tim this episode. At least the wait will make it all the sweeter when it happens.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

FELD1 posted:

Oh man, I was really hoping they'd vaporize Pastor Tim this episode. At least the wait will make it all the sweeter when it happens.

After Nina and Martha, I've stopped assuming that the writers will kill anyone on this show, even when it makes the most sense.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is it just me, or did they make a continuity error (and possibly two) in this episode?

Let me know if I'm misremembering, but last week Phillip and Elizabeth complained about Henry's stinky cologne, and this week, Stan gave Henry a bottle of the cologne.

And last week, I could have sworn Elizabeth said something to Phillip about Paige telling Pastor Tim their secret, or wondering what Paige was thinking by telling him, or something to that effect, but she only confirmed it at the beginning of this week's episode.

Or was she just making a reference to bugging Pastor Tim's office last week, so they'd find out if Paige did tell him?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Let me know if I'm misremembering, but last week Phillip and Elizabeth complained about Henry's stinky cologne, and this week, Stan gave Henry a bottle of the cologne.

They did make a reference to his cologne. Stan smells it as well, which is why he offers him a bottle.

And last week, I could have sworn Elizabeth said something to Phillip about Paige telling Pastor Tim their secret, or wondering what Paige was thinking by telling him, or something to that effect, but she only confirmed it at the beginning of this week's episode.
They didn't find out last week, though Elizabeth did mention that she had his house bugged.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Is it just me, or did they make a continuity error (and possibly two) in this episode?

Or was she just making a reference to bugging Pastor Tim's office last week, so they'd find out if Paige did tell him?

On the first one, Stan asked Henry if he was wearing cologne and after Henry said he was Stan offered him some. Probably to impress that science teacher of his!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Baronash posted:

They did make a reference to his cologne. Stan smells it as well, which is why he offers him a bottle.

They didn't find out last week, though Elizabeth did mention that she had his house bugged.

Then I watched it while I was really tired, two weeks in a row. I am embarrassed, but thank you for confirming!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

Paige coming clean.

Even if they know already it's still :ohdear:

It complicates things for her to tell them (any "acident" involving him is now much more likely to be interpreted - by Paige at least - as foul play), so the reaction is pent up anger plus venting some new fustration. .

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Bravo writers, you've made me feel really apprehensive about Phillip and Elizabeth potentially attending some weirdo touchy feely group therapy sessions.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Babby's First Moral Framework is irritating the hell out of me but it's a good story-driven irritation. I want Pastor Tim neutralized.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Baronash posted:

After Nina and Martha, I've stopped assuming that the writers will kill anyone on this show, even when it makes the most sense.

Pretty much.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Death chat got me thinking and it occurs to me that the plot armor's getting in the way of the 'pieces on a gameboard' feel.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 24, 2016

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Outside show cast/crew chatter stuff: the various actor and showrunner tweets and interviews have pretty much confirmed that Pastor Tim stays alive for a drat long time if not through the end of the season.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I am just hoping for a really interesting threat to his life by the Jennings.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I think their conversation implied they knew they couldn't kill him now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baronash posted:

Why would either of them be killed? They're both still useful

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Because the show has to prove itself to be gritty and real by killing off important, developed characters! Nevermind that every person Philip and Elizabeth kill unnecessarily endangers their cover or that without the prospect of saving Nina to motivate him Stan's plot just fizzles out to nothing.

Also, I really don't think Philip is emotionally able to kill Martha or allow Elizabeth to do it, and if Elizabeth went ahead and did it without him it could easily be just as fatally destabilising to them as any information Martha might leak. That kind of breach of trust would utterly destroy their marriage, their family and, perhaps most importantly of all, their ability to work together effectively.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zVxTeflon posted:

Why would either of them be killed? They're both still useful

How is Nina still useful? Martha I can understand because she is still in a well placed position and can be used, albeit it is super risky. Nina's plot is completely disconnected from everything and terrible.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nina's plot is letting us in on the home front and serves as a juxtaposition for what Philip and Elizabeth are fighting for. They have, and want to preserve, their American home life, but their jobs literally involves kidnapping fathers to send them to a Siberian gulag. Meanwhile they're going to EST and realizing hey, there are non-authoritarian moral frameworks out there.

But I fear Nina is coming to an end. I enjoyed the plot but I think it has run its course and it is time for her to die/go free. Preferably die because I like finality in my tv stories.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Best part of this episode was Elizabeth channeling her actual frustration about the Pastor Tim plans being undone to seem surprised with Paige.

I guess there was also pent-up anger in the first place but there was also a little bit of "poo poo, really, you're telling me now?"

Missed this show.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

androo posted:

Best part of this episode was Elizabeth channeling her actual frustration about the Pastor Tim plans being undone to seem surprised with Paige.

I guess there was also pent-up anger in the first place but there was also a little bit of "poo poo, really, you're telling me now?"

Missed this show.

:agreed:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
How about that shot where Paige is in the other room and then crosses the divide to comfort Elizabeth? Simple but meaningful.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
During the previously on they showed the scene where Stan says they can't get Nina back because there's someone the US want's more. I'm guessing that's going to be the guy she's working with.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I think they already said it was a CIA agent last season

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

They've been building in this direction for quite a while but I think this episode made it clear: Paige will learn to accept and embrace her parents' lifestyle while Henry will eventually be the one to expose them.

bowser fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 25, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we just saw the last of Nina. It would be a pretty great arc for her to go from blackmailed double agent, to morally compromised triple agent, to finally and legitimately sacrificing herself for someone else. "I'm not who I was" would be an excellent final line for her.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

DarklyDreaming posted:

That's where they live but all the signs said JFK so Phillip definitely zipped over to New York for this mission

Slate's Americans podcast is still happening, (and still great). The creators said they had to have the flight out of JFK because there weren't flights to the country they wanted from Dulles at that time. The detail put into this show is astounding.

This week's episode also has an interview with a real life illegal. Recommended.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Zero One posted:

How about that shot where Paige is in the other room and then crosses the divide to comfort Elizabeth? Simple but meaningful.

That scene really stuck with me, it was so well done. This show probably has the best plot involving a teenager on TV right now. All the angst and drama is earned, and the audience can sympathize with both parent and child. Hell, that hug got me a little misty-eyed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bowser posted:

They've been building in this direction for quite a while but I think this episode made it clear: Paige will learn to accept and embrace her parents' lifestyle while Henry will eventually be the one to expose them.

I hope Henry goes through the entire show completely unaware about what's going on around him, just having a typical 80's adolescence while all this terrible poo poo is happening just outside his field of view.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Great OP. Love this show. More people need to watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

bowser posted:

They'll tell Henry, he'll shrug and go, "Cool. Can I be a spy, too?"

• Locked thread