Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I swear to God I think the cologne subplot might end up with Henry mistaking the vial of super-Anthrax for cologne.

Also, holy poo poo this is still the best show on TV every year (except for Rectify, natch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

I swear to God I think the cologne subplot might end up with Henry mistaking the vial of super-Anthrax for cologne.

Henry will be a real lady killer :downsrim:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TomViolence posted:

Because the show has to prove itself to be gritty and real by killing off important, developed characters!

This is a dumb post. The show has repeatedly ratcheted up the tension over Martha's fate only to drop it, most notably with the gun she inexplicably purchases last season. To act like killing her would be completely out of left field basically ignores her arc entirely.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Naylenas posted:

Slate's Americans podcast is still happening, (and still great).

I've only listened to the first episode so far, but the new moderator is uninvolved with the show and it's really apparent. It was nice last season when it was just production folk talking shop, not some writer at Slate whose main concern is getting the producers to reveal plot points.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I certainly expected Martha to be dead at a certain point last season, but her being around continues to be very interesting.

Also count me in the camp that loves Nina's :3: plot with the Jew Rocket Scientist.

e: oh poo poo, just consider - if Nina gets tried and executed or sent to Siberia, could that be the catalyst for Oleg to go full "gently caress the USSR"?

e2: gently caress, now I really need there to be an Americans spinoff that's Stan and Oleg being buddy cops

precision fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 26, 2016

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

precision posted:

e: oh poo poo, just consider - if Nina gets tried and executed or sent to Siberia, could that be the catalyst for Oleg to go full "gently caress the USSR"?

And right after his brother? That's some unbelievable disillusionment and disaffection right there.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

howe_sam posted:

I hope Henry goes through the entire show completely unaware about what's going on around him, just having a typical 80's adolescence while all this terrible poo poo is happening just outside his field of view.

Do we have an idea of the year they are in the show and ages of the kids? I just had the startling realization that I could be Henry.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

tomapot posted:

Do we have an idea of the year they are in the show and ages of the kids? I just had the startling realization that I could be Henry.

They're in 1983 at the moment. Henry would be in grade nine or ten, I'd say.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

And right after his brother? That's some unbelievable disillusionment and disaffection right there.

I am so ready for Double Agent Oleg. As long as we get a scene of him going to a disco and grooving with the cool American cats!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't disco dead by that point though? Maybe we'll some flashbacks to younger Philip and Elisabeth SNF-ing it to Bee Gees or something in even more ridiculous wigs.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tomapot posted:

Paige is 15 or 16 and Henry's 12 or so.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Paige is 15 or 16 and Henry's 12 or so.

Wasn't Henry talking about one of his high school teachers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't disco dead by that point though?

Well not literal disco but the rave scene was starting in the early 80s in Manchester and New York.

e: Oleg would probably love Ecstasy

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Baronash posted:

Wasn't Henry talking about one of his high school teachers?

I thought Henry just said his science (math?) teacher, which wouldn't rule out middle school.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

TheCenturion posted:

They're in 1983 at the moment. Henry would be in grade nine or ten, I'd say.

Born in 1970, so I'd be age 12-13 / 7th - 8th grade in the show timeline. Gah.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Baronash posted:

I've only listened to the first episode so far, but the new moderator is uninvolved with the show and it's really apparent. It was nice last season when it was just production folk talking shop, not some writer at Slate whose main concern is getting the producers to reveal plot points.

The latest one has an actual KGB illegal talk about his life in the US and it's very interesting. His method of quitting the KGB in the early 90's and being 100% sure he would not be sent back was brilliant, he told them he had AIDS and his handlers cut him loose immediately

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

I am so ready for Double Agent Oleg. As long as we get a scene of him going to a disco and grooving with the cool American cats!

If this show could go through all the way through the decline of the Soviet Union and the rise of Oligarchs in Russia then Oleg would be an amazing story. He has the connections and the knowledge to make crazy amounts of money.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hopefully, in some way shape or form, we get see Elizabeth deal with the fall of the Soviet Union.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

howe_sam posted:

Hopefully, in some way shape or form, we get see Elizabeth deal with the fall of the Soviet Union.

Well, they're going kinda-sorta real time, so they'll have to last a while, or have a series finale epilogue. It would be pretty awesome.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

precision posted:

The only places still playing disco in 1983 were gay clubs. Which would be a very interesting place for Double Agent Oleg to start hanging around.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Phillip and Elizabeth trying to rationalize their actions to Pastor Tim was pretty loving funny.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

howe_sam posted:

Phillip and Elizabeth trying to rationalize their actions to Pastor Tim was pretty loving funny.

"We are peacekeepers"

(Pastor Tim takes a shot at the Soviet handling of Jews)

Elizabeth: :nono:

e- I hate most TV commercials today, but I love the gently caress out of this Cookie Monster Apple ad. :3:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 31, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Elizabeth is a Mary Kay Commando

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- I hate most TV commercials today, but I love the gently caress out of this Cookie Monster Apple ad. :3:

It's a shame CTW's fallen to the point they have to resort to poo poo like that.

howe_sam posted:

Elizabeth is a Mary Kay Commando

Is Your Avon Lady A Bolshevik?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Visit EPCOT Center!

edit: Henry loves it

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 31, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

She's gonna know, Gabriel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Henry is so convinced of his awesome negotiating skills.

e: Cabbage Patch kids!

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 31, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
MAIL ROBOT :woop:

Edit: I like how they keep trying to avoid saying Disney or Disney World or mention that there is the Magic Kingdom too.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 31, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Don't screw Henry out of his trip to Epcot. :argh:

Well gently caress :stare:

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 31, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiii.... :tviv:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

In weird life convergences, I too was screwed out of a trip to Disney World by a family medical emergency., at almost the exact same time in history. I feel for poor Henry.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The pathologist running like he was on fire when Philip explained what happened shouldn't have made me laugh but drat I really did :allears:

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

DarklyDreaming posted:

The pathologist running like he was on fire when Philip explained what happened shouldn't have made me laugh but drat I really did :allears:

It was definitely funny.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Elizabeth's mission against those South Koreans probably is relevant to one of the major events in 1983 involving Korea, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007 or the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangoon_bombing. I hope nothing happens to the family and those cute kids.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
God damnit, this show is so loving good.

DarklyDreaming posted:

That was as perfect as Phillip's handling of it

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

One of my favorite things about this show is how they're willing to cast people like Dylan Baker as Soviet spies.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

rear end in a top hat!

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Zero One posted:

MAIL ROBOT :woop:

It's about time for an appearance by the real star of the show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Accretionist posted:

That was as perfect as Phillip's handling of it

The only thing that would've made it better is if Philip had hocked up a proper loogie.

Of course, neither of them would've been contagious by that point if they'd been directly exposed, but it made for a funnier scene. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What was the Korean woman's story about green foundation? I don't know anything about makeup.

• Locked thread