Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'm on my phone most of the time, and I'm saddled with 80k+ in student loan debt, so there should've been hints and clues. But to be told you are what you hate was an epiphany that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think the confusion is when we were young people called us gen y cause we were the generation after gen x, I really only started hearing the term millennials sometime in the 2000s and it naturally sounds like someone who was born after the millennium.

According to google the term millennial was coined in 82 before I was even born, because I guess the idea was that we'd be hitting adulthood in the early 2000s, but I simply do not recall it being a thing people used to refer to my generation until really social media and technology were so ingrained in day to day life.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

no way is a millenial someone born in the 80s. Millenials are like 25 years old at most.

Basically everyone is gonna disagree with you. Hell I've even got some certified gen x siblings that are just as phone and internet addicted as any college age millennial.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Microwaves Mom posted:

no way is a millenial someone born in the 80s. Millenials are like 25 years old at most.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

itt: a bunch of millenials qq'ing that their gen x status is revoked :twisted:

get into the ball pit, hippy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My balls are baby boomers IYKWIM

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

loquacius posted:

lovely and ruining the planet?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

loquacius posted:

more like ur balls are DEFLATED :grin:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Kuato posted:

I'm on my phone most of the time, and I'm saddled with 80k+ in student loan debt, so there should've been hints and clues. But to be told you are what you hate was an epiphany that's for sure.

what year were you born?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
don't figh it, mm. come with me to the ball pit, we're going to talk about our feelings and then everyone gets an achievement award

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nooner posted:

lovely and ruining the planet?

One boomed-out baby at a time

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

more like ur balls are DEFLATED :grin:

Much like footballs, my genitalia experience natural shrinkage when exposed to cold-weather conditions, yes

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I honestly don't give a poo poo about anything, this is what it means to Gen X. It's liberating.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I was born in '89.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
what are people born after 2000 called?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

LordArgh posted:

APEBRAINED DONGBABIES

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I get the impression the most common use of 'millenial' is 'all generations after mine', in other words 'those darn kids :argh:'.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Anderron Shi posted:

I was born in '89.

gently caress yeah :hfive:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

LordArgh posted:

The hosed Generation.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mad Monk posted:

I honestly don't give a poo poo about anything, this is what it means to Gen X. It's liberating.

Welcome Brother.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

LordArgh posted:

Mistakes.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

LordArgh posted:

they wont have a title until they start turning 18

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
don't worry they will all die and we can call ourselves generation doublelaser

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm a millennial, but not a millennial if you know what I mean.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Paper With Lines posted:

Generation X is the worst generation anyway, other than the wrestling group. You should be happy not be included in the Daria generation.

i identify with beavis more actually

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
finally, a thread for the thousand year old sapient scrotums

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LordArgh posted:

Gen Z, Homeland Generation, or iGeneration

each term progressively stupider than the last

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the Last Generation :cenobite:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It's cute how everybody wants to be Generation X. Too bad most of you just don't make the cut.

yeah it would be amazing to have much less money than i claim to, a life nearly over despite only being 50 something, a bad heart and a case of gout

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the Last Generation :cenobite:
The Greatest Generation 2 :911:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
wrong thread

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Lol just lol if you aren't a 65 year old retired businessman living in the Florida keys.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
GenY was the dumbest name

Microwaves Mom posted:

"Microwaves Mom, I'm a millennial."
"What? No, you're not. You're my girl."
"Yeah, but I can still be a millennial. There are millennials all over the world. That guy's a millennial"
<points at androgynous bystander taking a selfie in a Steven Universe t-shirt>
<rollseyes> "Yeah, I know ze's a millennial."

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It means you were born 2000 or later. Like in the new millennium. I think they actually got the word "millenial" from "millenium". Pretty far out poo poo when you think about it. Better than getting called a geezer I guess. :shrug:

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

symbolic posted:

Gen Z, Homeland Generation, or iGeneration

each term progressively stupider than the last

The 9/11 Generation tbh fam

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial

Best Giraffe posted:

The 9/11 Generation

Rad Wood
Dec 26, 2005
Segata Sanshiro!
I push hard for generation why (it's a clever joke about nihilism and apathy!) if you were born before 90 and aren't an insufferable twat and grew up listening to grungy alternative.

I work with millenials and they are little shits. I won't be lumped with them.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Best Giraffe posted:

The 9/11 Generation tbh fam

9/11 happened during the formative years of people born in the 80s and 90s, aka Millennials.

Rad Wood
Dec 26, 2005
Segata Sanshiro!

notZaar posted:

9/11 happened during the formative years of people born in the 80s and 90s, aka Millennials.

the difference is thkids born post 9/11 had lived their whole lives in a Patriot act "post-9/11" world. They have no frame of reference outside of killing muslims and bowing to government surveillance a la "I don't have anything to hide, so who cares?"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rad Wood posted:

the difference is thkids born post 9/11 had lived their whole lives in a Patriot act "post-9/11" world. They have no frame of reference outside of killing muslims and bowing to government surveillance a la "I don't have anything to hide, so who cares?"
i think that also extends to kids who were alive when the attacks happened but were too young to remember it whatsoever, i.e. preschoolers at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i feel like kids who've never known a world without widespread internet use and social media should not be lumped into the same generation as myself

• Locked thread