Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

notZaar posted:

You can't tell me octopii are too dumb to feel terror, everybody knows those fuckers are smart.

my favorite creepy-smart cephalopod story:

a smallish tourist aquarium kept some exotic fish near an open topped tank with an octopus. the fish kept disappearing and they found by putting a camera in the room that the octopus was sneaking out of its tank, slithering the distance to the other tank, and eating the fish. they didn't want it to do that, so they installed these lids on both tanks.

octopi, being smart fuckers, he wasn't deterred and figured out remove the lid on his own tank and the exoitic fish tank for another midnight feast. that's not the crazy part though. he carefully replaced both lids, even though it required additional effort for no immediate food-need benefit. this suggests that he may have had a mental model of the idea of among other things: others, guilt, and deception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Ever eat a fresh octopus though, it's like you can taste their memories when I had it my brain was afire, bolts of electric sentient soul life danced radiated through me, resonating like the presence of a foreign qi or a foreign entity even, It was like I melded with the octopus and 12 million more, like all of its attempted future kin, it's entire soul and future potentials, everything the octopus would be and its evolutionary potential of what its family could become.

notZaar posted:

You can't tell me octopii are too dumb to feel terror, everybody knows those fuckers are smart.

5/5!& I plan on devouring several more families of octopi, dynasties more it was so fun to send even just one to oblivion.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't object to people eating the flesh of smart animals or even dumb ones but there's just no reason to make them suffer unless you're are a sadist.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I dont think lobster and crab brains are developed enough to feel pain. I've always thought this. Am i right?

LadyAmbien posted:

This thread gives me feelings that I don't like having.

Isn't the reason lobsters scream when you boil them because of the pain? I have no idea. Someone who has lobster knowledge, educate me.

something good must come out of this terrible disgraceful thread so here, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fZOl7C_vDI

:allears:

enjoy meinen Freunde

edit: this is very long, but also very good, full of gold you could say

but if you wanna skip to the part most relevant to the aforementioned posts, skip to somewhere around 20 minutes

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 14, 2016

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vgTLkE3uqk

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I'd ask the octopus I mean I wouldn't want to speak for them, but I'm pretty sure when you lay 200,000+ eggs a few times a year you generally don't give a poo poo about the suffering of your own children so yeah. SADISTIC chopping off limbs. Not sadistic: siring 12 million sufferers in a lifetime

#iblametheoctopus

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

lol does it crush them to death?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Otisburg posted:

this suggests that he may have had a mental model of the idea of among other things: others, guilt, and deception

If that's true, that would be incredible as these are extremely advanced concepts. Hell, I know actual people who're allowed to do things that struggle with them.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
If you eat meat you have to watch these videos. If you don't you're a coward.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

vug posted:

lol does it crush them to death?

feminism in egg farming

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Die cischick scum

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Otisburg posted:

Die cischick scum

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i was always a proud meat eater growing up, i was the type to sneer at vegetarians like some smug Penn and/or Teller

this caused a lot of friction, and not the good kind, when i was younger and dated a militant vegetarian (who was such a veggie that she fed her cat vegetarian food, which i found rather distasteful and almost cruel)

then one time i had an experience that has really had an impact on me. i was somewhere around the 3rd or 4th day of learning to meditate like a monk, by living like a monk. i hadn't uttered a word, made eye contact with anyone, or read or watched anything other than the constant passing movement of my own breathing, thoughts and sensations as they rose into awareness and passed away.

i found myself becoming incredibly sensitive, watching trees and grass and insects with mesmerization. i found myself incredibly sensitive to their own suffering, as i became more aware of my own.

i was the type of child who took sadistic pleasure in killing bugs, now i was working overtime to gently trap them, walking outside of my sleeping area, and trekking out to release it away from any walking trails

during this time, i wasn't to harm any creatures or eat any meat. my diet was 100% vegetarian, and with my newfound mindfulness and increased sensitivity, it was easily the best tasting and most satisfying food i had ever had up to that point. being the type of person who would never go more than 24 hours without eating meat, this was a rather strange experience for me.

i learned that i didn't need to eat flesh to satisfy my stomach.

near the pagoda cells there was a fence, which separated the meditation grounds from the neighboring grazing land for a cattle rancher.

one day, while taking a 5 between the last few hours of meditating and the next few hours of meditating, i stood at the fence and took in the awesome splendor of the grazing field, and a young cow approached me. it came up to me like it knew me, like it was my own pet dog, and began to lick my hand. it had giant, soulful eyes, the kind of innocent look of a creature that doesn't recognize it's own power or importance. the 5 minutes i spent with that cow seemed to stretch out forever, i was truly having a moment.

i felt like i could feel the never-totally-calm-yet-still-steady soul of this creature, i could see my own deep nothingness reflected back at me, it was beautiful.

that night, i had a nightmare, extremely vivid and bold and ultra-realistic, wherein i was slaughtering a pig. the pigs eyes stared into my own, like the cow's did in my waking life. in the dream i plunged a knife into the pig's throat, spilling blood everywhere, while its wild eyes stared into my own soul and it let out a horrible shriek that sounded more like a human baby in pain than a pig.

ever since then, i've gone back and forth with my eating habits. i've never been 100% comfortable again eating meat, and i suffer a great deal of cognitive dissonance whenever i try to eat some BBQ. i hope to one day muster up the courage to give up my carnivorous ways.

and that's all i got to say about that

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Otisburg posted:

Die cischick scum

i'm really enjoying this new German trend :thumbsup:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry the beetles will invade without malice.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i was always a proud meat eater growing up, i was the type to sneer at vegetarians like some smug Penn and/or Teller

this caused a lot of friction, and not the good kind, when i was younger and dated a militant vegetarian (who was such a veggie that she fed her cat vegetarian food, which i found rather distasteful and almost cruel)

then one time i had an experience that has really had an impact on me. i was somewhere around the 3rd or 4th day of learning to meditate like a monk, by living like a monk. i hadn't uttered a word, made eye contact with anyone, or read or watched anything other than the constant passing movement of my own breathing, thoughts and sensations as they rose into awareness and passed away.

i found myself becoming incredibly sensitive, watching trees and grass and insects with mesmerization. i found myself incredibly sensitive to their own suffering, as i became more aware of my own.

i was the type of child who took sadistic pleasure in killing bugs, now i was working overtime to gently trap them, walking outside of my sleeping area, and trekking out to release it away from any walking trails

during this time, i wasn't to harm any creatures or eat any meat. my diet was 100% vegetarian, and with my newfound mindfulness and increased sensitivity, it was easily the best tasting and most satisfying food i had ever had up to that point. being the type of person who would never go more than 24 hours without eating meat, this was a rather strange experience for me.

i learned that i didn't need to eat flesh to satisfy my stomach.

near the pagoda cells there was a fence, which separated the meditation grounds from the neighboring grazing land for a cattle rancher.

one day, while taking a 5 between the last few hours of meditating and the next few hours of meditating, i stood at the fence and took in the awesome splendor of the grazing field, and a young cow approached me. it came up to me like it knew me, like it was my own pet dog, and began to lick my hand. it had giant, soulful eyes, the kind of innocent look of a creature that doesn't recognize it's own power or importance. the 5 minutes i spent with that cow seemed to stretch out forever, i was truly having a moment.

i felt like i could feel the never-totally-calm-yet-still-steady soul of this creature, i could see my own deep nothingness reflected back at me, it was beautiful.

that night, i had a nightmare, extremely vivid and bold and ultra-realistic, wherein i was slaughtering a pig. the pigs eyes stared into my own, like the cow's did in my waking life. in the dream i plunged a knife into the pig's throat, spilling blood everywhere, while its wild eyes stared into my own soul and it let out a horrible shriek that sounded more like a human baby in pain than a pig.

ever since then, i've gone back and forth with my eating habits. i've never been 100% comfortable again eating meat, and i suffer a great deal of cognitive dissonance whenever i try to eat some BBQ. i hope to one day muster up the courage to give up my carnivorous ways.

and that's all i got to say about that

So too much?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i guess noone has made a gif of that scene of the bull being sacrificed in apocalypse now

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

So too much?

the ghost of david foster wallace is haunting me :gonk:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
For a summer, I worked as a dock boy. Part of that job is cleaning fish. Mostly Northern Pike.

As much as these videos disgust me with the mistreatment of the creatures, unfortunately there's not a good way to kill a fish short of severing it's head. Even then, the head stays alive for quite some time. Especially Northerns. I've been bitten by a Northern that I gutted and cleaned 20 minutes before.

What I used to do was let them sit on ice for a few hours to slow them down and then clean them. They'll still be alive, which sucks, but there's no good way to kill them. You could stab them in the head all day and they'll stay alive. My wife was studying for her degree in Aquatic Biology at the time and she said they don't feel pain in the same way we do. They have a sensing nerve down their side but they don't feel distress in the same way. It's not interpreted as pain.

To my credit, I also learned fish CPR and am drat good at it. I revived many a fish, that was illegal to take, brought back by a guest. The trick is to make sure that they're fully back alive before letting them go. If you can hold onto them, they still need more time. You basically hold them in the water and work water through their gills for them by rocking them back and forth like a baby.

Don't touch their gills. They'll look alive but will die in hours. Never pick up a fish by the gills and always support their midsection if you're going to put it back.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

turtle hearts will keep on beating long after they have been "killed", no matter what you do to them

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
wtf was that chick killing machine lol

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

basically those are roosters that aren't good for anything, not enough hormones and what not for meat. i believe they come from a batch that is supposed to lay eggs, but obviously a rooster isn't gonna lay eggs, so they just kill em.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

LadyAmbien posted:

This thread gives me feelings that I don't like having.

Isn't the reason lobsters scream when you boil them because of the pain? I have no idea. Someone who has lobster knowledge, educate me.

Lobsters don't scream. They don't completely fill their shells, and the sound you hear is water and hot air escaping from the gaps between their muscles and the carapace. Also, they do not feel pain like we do. They understand when something bad is happening but they just don't have all the correct brain parts and nerve endings to actually feel pain.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

basically those are roosters that aren't good for anything, not enough hormones and what not for meat. i believe they come from a batch that is supposed to lay eggs, but obviously a rooster isn't gonna lay eggs, so they just kill em.

lmbo so the chicken world is like reverse China?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
there was a jamie oliver thing on tv a while ago where they had some newly hatched chicks that were bred so that the males were differently coloured, and they got the audience to pick out the males and put them in a box they passed round and then they gassed them all. it was awesome because the audience didn't twig what was about to happen. then they tried to feed some to a snake but it wasn't hungry

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Nooner posted:

Welcome to the Desert of the Real under Capitalism

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Claven666 posted:

Lobsters don't scream. They don't completely fill their shells, and the sound you hear is water and hot air escaping from the gaps between their muscles and the carapace. Also, they do not feel pain like we do. They understand when something bad is happening but they just don't have all the correct brain parts and nerve endings to actually feel pain.

i'm not entirely convinced you feel pain until you can show me some empirical evidence of your subjective experience

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

the parallels between the condition of man and chicken under industrial capitalism are striking. i eat meat but i think videos like this should be shown in schools so that kids will understand what their diet means to animals, same with videos of sweatshop textile work and stuff. you can then in an educated way decide whether you will live in a cruelty free way or d e h u m a n i z e y o u r s e l f a n d f a c e t o c a p i t a l i s m.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nooner posted:

or Trump's America, yes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Like, I understand intellectually that there's a very real neurological science basis for saying "Well know, they don't understand 'pain' as we do," but I still can help but have this emotional response that pictures a Twilight Zone scenario where the Klaklor of Zarzol VII are pulling apart living, screaming humans to prepare their planetary delicacy and comforting the more soft-hearted gourmands in attendance with the same reassurance.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

the parallels between the condition of man and chicken under industrial capitalism are striking. i eat meat but i think videos like this should be shown in schools so that kids will understand what their diet means to animals, same with videos of sweatshop textile work and stuff. you can then in an educated way decide whether you will live in a cruelty free way or d e h u m a n i z e y o u r s e l f a n d f a c e t o c a p i t a l i s m.

dehumanize  yourself  and  face  to  capitalism

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
there is no animal mutilation on this page despite it being page 2 of the animal mutilation thread

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

Like, I understand intellectually that there's a very real neurological science basis for saying "Well know, they don't understand 'pain' as we do," but I still can help but have this emotional response that pictures a Twilight Zone scenario where the Klaklor of Zarzol VII are pulling apart living, screaming humans to prepare their planetary delicacy and comforting the more soft-hearted gourmands in attendance with the same reassurance.

That was an episode of futurama.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

yaaaaaaaaase :unsmigghh:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

there is no animal mutilation on this page despite it being page 2 of the animal mutilation thread

gbs got a conscience lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

that sounds haram, have some content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r85xCNncmGk

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

empirically speaking, i can't be sure if anyone besides myself "really" "feels" anything

y'all could all just be a bunch of biological mechanisms running through the motions, your monkey brains triggering responses at facial cues, but without the "real thing" behind it like my special brain

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Applewhite's thread about putting your brain in a computer proved that nobody actually exists so no harm, no foul

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

in this video they didn't gently caress them first :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
or FOWL :haw:

• Locked thread