Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
The game we just played Kallari went 22 - 1, and was one shoting me, with 1500 hp. he 2 shot someone on the team with over 2200 health.... he had some loving sweet cards....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Having a harvester is nicer than not having one, but at the level of play that I'm currently scrubbing at they seem kind of redundant. Grabbing some more gold as you run to your lane is grand if you can take a few to do so, but 300 points at full capacity is only the same as like three last hits.

Maybe they're designed to be welfare coins for supports? I don't know.

e. Also I kind of thought the NDA was gone, why are they still flashing it up after every match...

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 19, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is, they didn't patch that out yet.

breaks
May 12, 2001

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Maybe they're designed to be welfare coins for supports? I don't know.

Cardbux are duplicated between everyone within a decent radius, so supports should get plenty of cash in their lane.

The harvesters don't really look they are worth that much when you collect them but since those cardbux go to your whole team and you should have three of them it's a decent amount over time.

It's unclear who should be responsible for claiming which harvesters but in pubs if you're jungling you should be prepared to grab anything that's unclaimed. In some future reality the support/mid/offlaner should probably also be getting some.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
god drat, Gideon destroys worlds.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
^Im sure as Murdock I make some Gidion players upset. When he does that Black Hole thing, I stand just outside of it and shoot him in the face and there is nothing they can do about it. The only way I have ever been trapped in it is if they were right on top of me when starting it otherwise you just move out of it.

Did some testing with a goon in mumble last night, it doesn't matter who last hits in a lane as long as someone does, everyone then gets the same amount of CXP, but if a creep gets the last hit you all get less, also any CXP picked up it shared by everyone in the lane, similar to Smite.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

^Im sure as Murdock I make some Gidion players upset. When he does that Black Hole thing, I stand just outside of it and shoot him in the face and there is nothing they can do about it. The only way I have ever been trapped in it is if they were right on top of me when starting it otherwise you just move out of it.

Did some testing with a goon in mumble last night, it doesn't matter who last hits in a lane as long as someone does, everyone then gets the same amount of CXP, but if a creep gets the last hit you all get less, also any CXP picked up it shared by everyone in the lane, similar to Smite.

So last hits are global XP for all people, but minion last hits/orb pick ups are localized XP? That makes a farming carry a much bigger threat then usual, I would imagine, since they power up their team as well as themselves.

Considering picking this up via the middle founder pack, it looks interesting enough.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
So you can grab the other teams orbs if they are on the ground? Thats pretty cool unless you're the guy unable to contest the pickups.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Shuka posted:

So you can grab the other teams orbs if they are on the ground? Thats pretty cool unless you're the guy unable to contest the pickups.

This is not the case. Enemy creeps drop little orange orbs when they die. You'll also see black orbs on the ground. These black orbs are xp dropped by friendly creeps and are available for the enemy to pick up. You can, however, try to zone the enemy out so they can't pick up that xp.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I suppose if you're going to cross-play a game it might as well be this one, but it still seems like having PC and PS4 players on the same servers is a bad idea.

Also, does anyone know what the last column means? I originally though it was card XP but there's a lot of people that will go through an entire map with like 10 while I'm getting thousands. I'm spending all my points, so I'm not sure what it means.

VVV Yeah, further experimentation proved you right. No one gathers from the harvesters in this game, god drat.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
^ I think that means XP gathered from Harvesters.

Conot posted:

So last hits are global XP for all people, but minion last hits/orb pick ups are localized XP? That makes a farming carry a much bigger threat then usual, I would imagine, since they power up their team as well as themselves.

Considering picking this up via the middle founder pack, it looks interesting enough.

I think last hits are localized as well, only the people in your lane get the XCP as far as I know. I see how what I said before implied global.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
This is probably a stupid question but are the differences between the founder pack tiers just cosmetic and xp boosts?

I kinda want to try this out but don't like the idea of being locked out of characters just because I didn't want to spend a lot of cash.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

X_ThePerfect posted:

This is probably a stupid question but are the differences between the founder pack tiers just cosmetic and xp boosts?

I kinda want to try this out but don't like the idea of being locked out of characters just because I didn't want to spend a lot of cash.

(All) Characters are free (for everyone). Skins are not.

Buying middle or higher tier gives you a copy of the bottom tier to give to a friend.

e:

Also theres a upgrade mechanic it seems, so you can just buy in at bottom tier and upgrade if you actually want pretty pretty princess skins

Arianya fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 19, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
This game is significantly better while playing with a group in mumble.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009
I'm really enjoying the 3D aspect to this. The jungle feels like a jungle and terrain advantages are great when ranged.

Goddamn Gideon though.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
The game is beautiful, but man I'm just not having fun with it. The skills are generally unexciting, and the focus on killing enemies with auto attacks as opposed to skills is a detractor.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Brackhar posted:

The game is beautiful, but man I'm just not having fun with it. The skills are generally unexciting, and the focus on killing enemies with auto attacks as opposed to skills is a detractor.

It feels like they could stand to halve crit chance and attack damage, but double attack speed and it would feel a bit more... fast paced? Having a full second and a half between attacks feels REALLY "running through custard" ish.

Gideon tip: You're not affected by gravity while in your ult. Your ult hits everything in the area, up or down. Thus: Teleport up, immediately hit ult. Pubbies don't know to look up.

e: Thrown myself up on the spreadsheet. For those that don't know, you can change matchmaking region fluidly from the options menu.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 19, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Grux is really drat fun.

Another fun thing about Gideon is that your allies can use your portal as well, so I've been following Gideons into the fray and using my Warlord's Cry to better wreck faces with my buddies.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Grux is really drat fun.

How have you been building him? I really enjoy his play style but it seems a lot of people don't understand ganks/when to go in for the kill.

I probably need to work some +defense and Hp into my build but I normally go attack speed into phys damage into crit. Or sometimes crit first depending on the game.

It's interesting to have the ability to literally build your own deck in this game, and other than the invis that doesn't pop when you hit them, seems like there isn't any SUPER OP... Champ? Warrior? Right now.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Also, does anyone know what the last column means?

The last column is CXP earned exclusively from harvesters and towers, it shows who is contributing most to the team (CXP-wise).

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Usually I go fighter/jungle. idk if I have any ~super pro builds~ but i've been doing very well with him so far (10+ kills a game).

Start pots + harvester, build into atk spd + damage (focusing on atk speed buffs, your left click + right click are your main sources of damage) and then damage + crit (emphasis on crit). Afterwards if i'm not doing well on cs I build into tanky, otherwise I go for more atk speed + damage. I wanna experiment with lifesteal or CDR cards with him and see if that makes him ridiculous but right now i'm pretty happy with his performance.

Sneak up behind people to initiate, R to catch them with their pants down (especially against tanky characters, % life damage is good). Left/Right click like crazy, Q if they try to make a break for it, E to follow up on escapes (or to make an escape yourself). I don't really use E for damage so my priority is LC/RC/Q/R/E.

Usually I farm CS lategame by doing a Q + Right click and making sure to hit jungle camps (and harvesters!) along the way.

e: It is very important when fighting gideon to not blow your E on initiate. If he ults (or uses his E) good loving luck getting the kill on him.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 20, 2016

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I enjoy a bunch about this but it worries me how samey every skill/class of hero is, 90% of fights seem to end up with the ranged dps kiting the melee and autoattacking.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Twinblast's RMB "OH poo poo GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE" has saved my rear end a few times now.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

I enjoy a bunch about this but it worries me how samey every skill/class of hero is, 90% of fights seem to end up with the ranged dps kiting the melee and autoattacking.

Is there the ability to get slow cards? Having basically a frozen mallet would be nice

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
.......it's an FPS where you can only shoot 10 feet in front of your character.

=/ I was so hopeful it would pull roots from UT

Orv
May 4, 2011
It extra super isn't an shooter, despite the controls.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah they've been pretty clear from the start that they're making it a MOBA rather than any type of shooter. Everyone still complains about the movement speed so it'll likely be adjusted

I like the idea but I'm not enough of a dota expert to criticise/get hyped for the premise

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

It's pretty much Smite, but with verticality.

Celt des Ghoules
Nov 9, 2014
Added myself to the spreadsheet. Decided to buy into this despite never having played a MOBA before and I'm having fun with it so far. Howitzer squirrel dreadnought is my current favourite.

Great looks and gamefeel as far as I'm concerned, though I agree the movespeed is a little slow.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

Celt des Ghoules posted:

Great looks and gamefeel as far as I'm concerned, though I agree the movespeed is a little slow.

I'm trying to figure out if the move speed is too slow or if the TPS aspect is making it appear slow. In League (only other moba I have experience with) you are pathetically slow until you get your boots.

The scale of this game is also much bigger and not looking at it from a top down perspective probably influences how the move speed feels. I don't think it would hurt to either add an item that lets you run faster, or else just bump it up a tad.

I would also like to see more mobility across all characters. Rampage, steel and kallari are the only three that seem to have the right mobility for a 3D/vertical moba.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hey coca

didnt know you were keeping an eye on paragon!

I've been playing it and it really pays to have smite experience, its been kinda easy to exploit lanes against very aggressive players

I pretty much love Dekker but I've been playing Sparrow and I know exactly how to position with her without overextending and baiting people.

But I really gotta say

holy loving poo poo at Grux, he's a loving beast

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
wrt to the buffs Coca, the blue buff spawns much later than the red, so the current sorta meta because it's still the wild west

is to go for the red buff, then clear the jg mobs on the right then left, then go into the lane, you already hit level 2 and by the time you hit your lane it's 3 and the red buff gives you a distinct advantage in clearing power. Blue comes like 3 minutes after. But nobody really pays attention to the map atm and I honestly wish there was a VGS system in Paragon compared to Smite

especially if you call for the jungle buffs. "I need the jungle buff" "I'm going for jungle buff" so you can jungle the blue and get your mid to take it

Also its insanely hard to push uphill beccause the kill timers are very low generally so by the time you can even clear a minion, they already respawn so I've been telling people to bait lanes and retreat if it gets rough while someone else split pushes and that generally has been a good tactic. Most people still don't know about the orb prime mechanic either so they're just running around with that pink orb like headless chickens

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 20, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
btw if a few goons want to team up

I would be down for some stomping, especially if you're veteran smite players

I've been playing with my friend who also plays smite and the difference is immense compared to people who have never touched Smite.

We've been experimenting with a Grux (me) and Steel (him) duo jungle and we just ambush the more aggressive lanes and they have no chance because of the cc ceiling and attack speed differential. We duo jungle because its impossible to take the red buff early without any help, kinda just like going for mana or power camp in Smite conquest but we go around clearing the other jungles without burning through the HP pots and the clears give you an edge because you can last hit those minions and get card XP right away without lane minions killing them

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 20, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Orv posted:

I was interested in seeing someone else take a more mobile crack at the SMITE paradigm, but all the videos I've seen have totally deflated any interest. There's a sorta leather badass space cowboy who is dual wielding energy pistols, except they fire like this; shot... shot... shot... shot..., and the projectiles are hella slow. This seems to be the case for all ranged characters, and all their animations, VFX and SFX are unpleasing in the extreme. The effects might get worked on but it just looks terrible to play.

Probably an early lane TwinBlast, if he builds the right cards like attack speed and crit, pfft he just is a walking turret, just literally Ratatatata. Paragon is a lot slower than smite but it snowballs hard late especially if you are a ranged carry. I went like 17/0 with TwinBlast and we won yesterday because I built attack speed and crit, melting through their team with the right positioning. The one thing about TwinBlast compared to Sparrow is that he can gap close, Sparrow needs to ambush first and she is way more reliant on her auto so you absolutely have to be accurate with Sparrow due to her passive stacking.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
... Have you considered just making one large post o.o

So far I have not strayed too far from Howitzer since my default action in most mobas is to focus on mob farming and his aoes make that pretty effective, Make it Rain also helps get you out of dodge when caught over extended.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Twibbit posted:

... Have you considered just making one large post o.o

So far I have not strayed too far from Howitzer since my default action in most mobas is to focus on mob farming and his aoes make that pretty effective, Make it Rain also helps get you out of dodge when caught over extended.

na

also here are two videos i made that are really lovely showing how positioning is really important if you're gonna play Sparrow because she has no escapes or mobility~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5V9jQgvyns

2nd one is a counter push, they were running away. Steel put a wall up, I just ran up the ramp, pelted Gideon, he ran behind Steel for cover, I held down Sparrow's RMB for the pierce shot and it went through Steel rooting him and finishing off Gideon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGYmIg64yMw

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

Probably an early lane TwinBlast, if he builds the right cards like attack speed and crit, pfft he just is a walking turret, just literally Ratatatata. Paragon is a lot slower than smite but it snowballs hard late especially if you are a ranged carry. I went like 17/0 with TwinBlast and we won yesterday because I built attack speed and crit, melting through their team with the right positioning. The one thing about TwinBlast compared to Sparrow is that he can gap close, Sparrow needs to ambush first and she is way more reliant on her auto so you absolutely have to be accurate with Sparrow due to her passive stacking.

Yeah the videos giving me that impression were from before even OT1, the game is a lot faster now, though I think it could stand to be even more so.

Celt des Ghoules
Nov 9, 2014
Ye gods Lastgirl, your posts make me wonder if I'm ever gonna be ready to face real people in this. There are so many facets I don't know about.

Parallel to your discussion of Sparrow's lack of escape skills, I've been surprised at the scarcity of quick vertical movement abilities. Given that varied terrain is being touted as a selling point you'd think your characters would be more agile to take advantage of these... vantages.

Could be speaking from ignorance, I've not tried all the characters yet.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

Howdy, glad some more people from Smite are giving this game a try.

I'm not abandoning Smite, just taking a "vacation". Hahaha

Whats your IGN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blunderz
Feb 22, 2016
Been having a great time with the game so far. I think one of the many issues I have is with the timers. Unlike smite you aren't rewarded ample time to counter after wiping out the whole enemy team which gets frustrating when trying to push objectives. You could take out four people and then have a rampage stall for time until the team spawns back again (Last and I had first hand trouble with this one). Still plenty of things to work on but surprisingly that's pretty much the only major feedback I have on the game. It has a ton of potential and the core is fleshed out wonderfully.

PS: Smite map awareness has definitely put us ahead of the game imo.

• Locked thread