Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Grabbed the founder pack on PS4. Unreal Tournament is a high speed fragathon so I went into this game expecting something similar but it's soooooo slow. It's like playing a game in molasses. Graphically and design-wise it's pretty cool and the card mechanic appeals to me even though I am scared it will mean serious imbalance for free players. It needs other game modes badly as the 40+ minute slogs are so tiresome in MOBAs now.

I felt the same way. I love the new UT. this ended up being a complete 180 away from everything great about it =/

Try Battleborn, I thought it would be junk, but I ended up liking it a whole lot. A good mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Anyone on here want an early access code? I've asked any friends of mine who don't already play and no one else seems interested.

PM if you want!

EDIT: Taken

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 5, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Rock Sanchez, what does epic have against letting me run their games through steam? If I add the shortcuts as non-steam games, and try to launch them, they just close. If its not in steam I often forget I even have it installed.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I can't say for sure and I can't speak for Epic (not my department), but I'm guessing because they have their own game launcher? I can ask around next week if you'd like.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Rick Sanchez posted:

I can't say for sure and I can't speak for Epic (not my department), but I'm guessing because they have their own game launcher? I can ask around next week if you'd like.

It snot a huge deal, just annoying, I run other things with launchers through steam just fine.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Nothing like starting a game and losing two teammates within 10 minutes, never to be heard from again. Probably rage quit because we had a crappy Sevarog. That was a blast.

Also I sniped a Kallari as she was running up the stairs to heal. I felt bad, but mostly felt awesome.

http://imgur.com/y8UACkI

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 2, 2016

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
TARGET ACQUIRED

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Rick Sanchez posted:

TARGET ACQUIRED

New character?

Also did you remove me from steam friends? went to find you and you are not there any more, still YetiMachete, right?

e: just realized I have you on epic launcher, not steam.. I always forget about other platforms....

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 5, 2016

Scooter
May 12, 2001
I have a spare code for this if anybody wants it:

ASLDT-NA93G-K(36*22)L-T2YQ6

Epic is giving double XP and letting people who signed up for the beta play this weekend (starting noon today). It's a good time to start!

I'm almost level 9 on Muriel, hoping to get my master skin this weekend.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Yep, new character.

Welcome Grim.exe to the Paragon family! He's crazy fun to play as and, as you can see, can counter attacks BIG TIME with his shield. Thank god, because something needs to counter Rampage's stupid boulder.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo-DMLGXOF4

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 5, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
He looks really interesting, and I really like Paragon, but it just doesn't feel... right....

The only things I can quantify that feel off are movement is slow, pacing is slow, but then time to kill is really short, if you get engaged your pretty much done for, and balance still seems terrible, Feng is crazy powerful and seems to wreck everyone...

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
I'm completely in love with the skin glitch, please never fix it. As far as I'm concerned it's a feature, not a bug.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Been playing this game during the recent open betas and it's been quite fun. For an early access game, it already feels very smooth control-wise and I like the aesthetic and VFX. However, as has been pointed out, there isn't much at the moment to make it stand out from the competition.

I've only recently gotten into MOBAs and the number one thing I've enjoyed as a casual player is the recent additions that MOBAs have been making to create a friendlier environment. They're not perfect, but games like Battleborn with more actiony and fast combat that could be mistaken for just being an FPS, or Smite which offers game modes that have a significantly reduced time commitment and pressure like Arena/Clash, or HotS with has less knowledge needed in entry due to the elimination of items/equipment, have done a lot for me in reducing the toxicity. So right now Paragon seems pretty behind-the-times for me due to the fact that it's back to hour-long matches with a slow pace and confusing mechanics like harvesters and items. If anything, I'd want Paragon to be like a triforce of the best elements of those three games, and I think it would fit the aesthetic they're going for.

It's still really early in development so I might be mistaken about a lot of things: maybe they are planning on introducing more modes or increasing speed or reducing time commitment for matches or etc. And just because I want it to be more casual/less toxic doesn't mean they should make it so; that might just not be what they are going for and you can't please everyone. But I would like Paragon to do something really fancy because I think they have some great groundwork. I want something that revolutionizes the MOBA genre instead of just making a MOBA that's got a camera over the player's shoulder and looks pretty.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Skin glitch is being fixed with tomorrow's update, sorry everyone. It was fun while it lasted.

Anyway, GRIM.exe stuff!

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
FYI: I have 4 more Founder's Pack codes I can share. PM me if you're interested!

EDIT: Two more still available

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 12, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is there a source of mechanics information anywhere? i'm trying to piece together what exactly poo poo does, but not a lot of it is super transparent. do heroes default have 0 physical/energy armor? what is the difference between penetrating armor and shredding it?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

is there a source of mechanics information anywhere? i'm trying to piece together what exactly poo poo does, but not a lot of it is super transparent. do heroes default have 0 physical/energy armor? what is the difference between penetrating armor and shredding it?

Not really as of now, maybe because this stuff is still in flux a little? I wouldn't be surprised if Epic put something more comprehensive together once the game officially launches. But if not I'm sure someone else will at some point.

The best answer I can give you about armor is every hero starts with a small amount of physical and energy armor, but to really stand up to any damage both need to be built with cards. Here's a tiny screenshot I found of the in-game card shop where you can see the character, whoever it is, has 9 energy armor and 9 physical armor before upgrading anything:

To your other point, there's no difference between energy/physical pen and "shredding" armor, it's just a different way to say the same thing. I'm guessing you're referring to the GRIM.exe Abilities pic I posted a few days ago?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 14, 2016

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've noticed that stacking pen doesn't have effect past some point - for example, stacking energy pen immediately on grim doesn't seem to increase his damage at all (ie, level one right click doesn't go above 40 damage w/out energy damage but with energy pen); that's why i asked about starting levels of armor. either way, i'm sure this stuff will become more obvious as time goes on

ps: sent you a friend request as superfivefive.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Well you can't penetrate energy armor with any real effectiveness until someone has added it in the first place, so stacking energy pen early won't help you. Energy/physical pen is something you'd want to add mid/late game since those cards won't really be in place on the opposing team until then.

Early game I'd build a little minor cast and kinetic on GRIM, then start building major cast and crit through mid game. If you want to begin building energy pen then you could, but generally I'd recommend simply building more cast and crit on him. Armor penetration only does you any real good if you KNOW the opposing team is building energy armor, so keep and eye on what they're building each time you recall to base to know what you should upgrade yourself. If a tank is going heavy in the energy armor to counter you then energy pen will really screw them up, but overall cast damage and crit will serve you well in most scenarios.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

ps: sent you a friend request as superfivefive.

I accidentally deleted the request. Sorry. Stupid PS4. Send it again!

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 14, 2016

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So what does everyone think of GRIM.exe so far?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rick Sanchez posted:

FYI: I have 4 more Founder's Pack codes I can share. PM me if you're interested!

EDIT: Two more still available

I would like one if you still have a extra

drmanic11 at gmail dot com

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Rick Sanchez posted:

So what does everyone think of GRIM.exe so far?

i like him, but i can't really shake the feeling like i am playing a slightly worse murdock. being intellect/corruption is cool and helps him, and maybe once i can get some of the lifesteal/crit cards i want (ie not needing 5-cost lifesteal upgrades because i have nothing else) it'll feel smoother, but right now their toolboxes feel remarkably similar

also, just wanted to point out whoever is doing the actual character design is killing it with the new characters so far

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

DrManiac posted:

I would like one if you still have a extra

drmanic11 at gmail dot com

Can you not PM me? It would make things easier when sending the code. If not, let me know.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i like him, but i can't really shake the feeling like i am playing a slightly worse murdock. being intellect/corruption is cool and helps him, and maybe once i can get some of the lifesteal/crit cards i want (ie not needing 5-cost lifesteal upgrades because i have nothing else) it'll feel smoother, but right now their toolboxes feel remarkably similar

also, just wanted to point out whoever is doing the actual character design is killing it with the new characters so far

I feel you, but you have to agree that this is specific to your own situation. I have to say I have plenty of lifesteal equipment cards and I've decided in the last few days to take them off my GRIM build just because I think they complicate things; I think straight damage/speed/crit, like I do with Murdock, is the way to go most of the time (that and playing smart as possible without getting ganked).

To your second point: I can't agree more. Obviously I can't disclose any specifics, but I'm happy to say that the character designs coming up in the near future are just as interesting and fun and I can't wait to see what you goons think. It's also really great to be on this side of development, what with seeing the characters grow and change and whatnot. The teams here at Epic are so focused on a quality product it's ridiculous, so I know they'll constantly be tweaking things here and there to make sure they give you the best experience possible.

I know I sound like a corporate plant, but I promise I'm not. Not, at least, until Epic pays me more to be one :smug:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rick Sanchez posted:

Can you not PM me? It would make things easier when sending the code. If not, let me know.

I don't have plat so I can't PM

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

DrManiac posted:

I don't have plat so I can't PM

Okay, np. I'm out of the office until Monday, sorry, so just post here again Tuesday if I haven't emailed you.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I played this during the NDA period. It was slow, ugly and the card system screamed WE WANT TO FLEECE OUR PLAYERS LIKE AN IAP LADEN MOBILE GAME. The same with fortnite actually.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The pacing is the same as dota or lol (match is 30 minutes), but the game is actually really beautiful and the card system is ok. Where the fleece you is the mastery system actually, if you don<t have it, it slow down your level progression.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Byolante posted:

I played this during the NDA period. It was slow, ugly and the card system screamed WE WANT TO FLEECE OUR PLAYERS LIKE AN IAP LADEN MOBILE GAME. The same with fortnite actually.

they aren't charging for cards though...

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Yeah, I get saying the game is slow, each until his own and all, but ugly is not a word I've heard used to describe Paragon, even when people don't like the game. And they really aren't charging for much; you can't pay to win at all, even for cards.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can I buy like access now or have to ask for handouts? There's like 5 days till over watch. I will make fun of this game if I can. Ah it says you can buy into early access.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 19, 2016

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
There's a free beta weekend in a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wamdpIq9h-I

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How long are the games? The dreaded 90 minute MOBA games?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rick Sanchez posted:

Yeah, I get saying the game is slow, each until his own and all, but ugly is not a word I've heard used to describe Paragon, even when people don't like the game. And they really aren't charging for much; you can't pay to win at all, even for cards.

Maybe its not as ugly now as it was early on during the NDA period. I played in the weekend at the end of january and saw enough horrible to uninstall it and never play again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bought a founders pack, this only has to be better than Paladins.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So anyone seen this?

Yes, I am admin.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Played a game of this last night after it was done installing. When they release this, it is gonna kill off Smite. Better graphics and all heros are unlocked and its free.

Ecco the Dopefiend
May 3, 2006

Come to the Isle of Tranquilizers... err I mean Tranquility.

Tenzarin posted:

Played a game of this last night after it was done installing. When they release this, it is gonna kill off Smite. Better graphics and all heros are unlocked and its free.

I played a little bit of Smite and thought it was okay, seemed like a huge investment to learn the skill trees, etc. Paragon however I've been having a blast with. I guess maybe I just have to accept I like brown better.

Byolante posted:

Maybe its not as ugly now as it was early on during the NDA period. I played in the weekend at the end of january and saw enough horrible to uninstall it and never play again.

I thought this too when watching a friend stream a while back. It looked awful and despite being somewhat intrigued by the gameplay, I more or less dismissed it. They recently had a 50% off sale though, so I decided :10bux: was worth it. Still a little rough around the edges, but they've made vast improvements. It looks nothing like it did a couple of months ago.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like the graphics and the gameplay style seems fun but card decks are killing me. 10k rep for 5 new cards that let me use better items? wtf

Soma Soma Soma
Mar 22, 2004

Richardson agrees
After putting in ~15 hours or so, I don't have much to complain about. Matches definitely need to be sped up. I'd certainly play this a lot more if the average game took 25 minutes instead of 35-40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
New hero reveal tomorrow at 10am EDT

I really like this new character. Played him a bunch in the internal playtests and he's very different from the new characters we've had so far. Hope all of you like him!

• Locked thread