Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Back in the dark ages of DirectX, where to be fair everything was extremely lovely but DirectX was definitely no exception.

He's the quintessential boring male midlife crisis haver: http://www.alexstjohn.com/WP/2013/01/06/getting-fired-from-microsoft/

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

He made millions off his Microsoft stock (where he helped make DirectX a thing) and his life has been entirely defined by those few years.

wait, so you should not work for the money, but for fun challenges, but you should also believe that what you do should make the company successful enough to really want stock options?

oh. i just realized. his view of "the best programmer" is literally exactly him, including the hypocritical bits.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's a total prima donna, but that doesn't mean he's completely wrong, he's just got a start-up founder kind of mentality. When the personal rewards are huge and you're in charge, working 120 hour weeks is a thing that happens if you want to get ahead. Finding and successfully employing the right people who are willing to follow you without as much upside is a talent. His biggest problem is that he got too big for his britches, and based on his early success, started acting like he was actually in charge without the requisite experience and political skill to navigate the waters, leading to people marginalizing and working around him instead of with him.

Edit: he did a new post today http://www.alexstjohn.com/WP/2016/04/18/recruiting-giants-2/

baquerd fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 18, 2016

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
:smugdon:

quote:

lazy millennials

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

He's a total prima donna, but that doesn't mean he's completely wrong, he's just got a start-up founder kind of mentality.

I have never seen a startup that values their employees as little as he does, or is as misogynistic as he is, and I work in San Francisco and hang out at bars with startup founders all the time.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

I have never seen a startup that values their employees as little as he does, or is as misogynistic as he is, and I work in San Francisco and hang out at bars with startup founders all the time.

He's abrasive, but how is it misogynistic to say that women are often exceptionally skilled in ways many male engineers aren't and that they need to not worry that they are women but instead just try their best? The most prevalent form of discrimination against women in technology that I see these days is to give them more slack and to provide allowances that would not otherwise be given in the name of diversity.

Edit: for example, I work for an extremely diverse company. Roughly 35% of the engineers here are women. Knowing what I know about the industry-wide prevalence of women engineers, how likely is it that they all decided to work for us compared to us having lower standards for them?

baquerd fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 18, 2016

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
E: this is a train wreck waiting to happen

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sex Bumbo posted:

If you're predetermining women to be exclusively worse than all men at literally everything they do, then yes, your company made a rather suspicious decision to hire inferiors.

All things considered equal, I would expect women to perform as well as men, with some generalizations towards gender-specific strengths (such as communication skills) and weaknesses (such as assertiveness). I also would expect to see a representative sample of women in the industry of roughly 15% of population (https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/2014/03/women-in-engineering-the-sobering-stats).

It is an absolute delight to work with highly skilled engineers, and I have the privilege of working with many women who I consider as such. I also deal with the issue that it is difficult to properly engage with lower-performing women engineers due to a fear of being perceived as sexist.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

baquerd posted:

The most prevalent form of discrimination against women in technology that I see these days is to give them more slack and to provide allowances that would not otherwise be given in the name of diversity.

Does it take effort to be this stupid, or does it come naturally?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Asymmetrikon posted:

Does it take effort to be this stupid, or does it come naturally?

We've all heard of the toxic environments that are overtly sexist and demeaning towards women. I personally haven't seen one for over 20 years, instead there is a huge push to bring in additional women engineers preferentially these days. HR just doesn't put up with that kind of environment. Change needs to happen to encourage more young women to enter, but the bar shouldn't be lower as a result.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
You're him aren't you. You're the guy that wrote all those bad words.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I'm sure that working untold hours a week for years on end didn't harm his sanity whatsoever.

hahaha is he like thought deaf or something? did he have that surgery where they separate the halves of your brain maybe?:

quote:

Consider the possibility that you are completely wrong about everything you believe and try re-evaluating your outlook. Has your approach to life made you independently wealthy yet?

Like, even if that's what you're thinking, you're gonna choose to express it like that?

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 19, 2016

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Never mind

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 19, 2016

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

I worked for this company.

For a week.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
abandon thread

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sex Bumbo posted:

From a different perspective, he's probably really sensitive about how he's worked shitloads of hours, burnt out, and while he does have something to show for it, it probably isn't proportional to the misery he had to endure.

It makes sense that he's bitter towards millennials. Younger people in tech get paid very well relative to others their age. You can almost trivially learn how to do most programming-type jobs online for free.

Also, I don't know for sure and I really don't want to speculate too far, but it definitely sounds like he ruined his own marriage because of his job.

Given that it makes a lot of sense that it feels "unfair" that some kid can get up to speed with trivial effort, work 30 hour weeks, and maintain human relationships today. He's disproportionately invested so much into who he is that it's unbearable to think that a "millenial" might be doing better than him. Since this is literally the case right now, he needs to create his own hosed up value system where everything he did was actually incredibly important and kids today are definitely going to get what's coming to them -- unless they take to heart his sage words of wisdom.
Your version of reality sounds really buggy, are you sure you've applied all the latest patches?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

what is happening

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Your version of reality sounds really buggy, are you sure you've applied all the latest patches?

Works on my machine, must be you. I keep getting quoted past edits.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sex Bumbo posted:

Back in the dark ages of DirectX, where to be fair everything was extremely lovely but DirectX was definitely no exception.

He's the quintessential boring male midlife crisis haver: http://www.alexstjohn.com/WP/2013/01/06/getting-fired-from-microsoft/

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that he had a bad divorce.

(Genuinely shocked he found someone to marry in the first place, tho)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

baquerd posted:

All things considered equal, I would expect women to perform as well as men, with some generalizations towards gender-specific strengths (such as communication skills) and weaknesses (such as assertiveness).

And math ability.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Facebook used to ask people if they could code while drunk: http://www.datamation.com/columns/article.php/3928726/The-Dumbest-Ways-To-Interview-A-Developer.htm

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Source: The Social Network

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

smackfu posted:

Source: The Social Network

Looks legit though, auto-playing sound and everything: http://www.socialnetworkmovie.com/ Oh wait, they got hacked. But that's not the official site? I don't know what to believe anymore, all I know is next interview I'm bringing a 6-pack of beer and demanding candidates prove they can code under those conditions.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Wait. Is the Ballmer Peak not a real thing? I need to quit sneaking my flask into work...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lemme see if I can help the thread pull out of the stall:

I interviewed at a local startup that works out of a co-working space a few days a week and at home for the rest. Sounded great to me because I could take the train to work or have no commute. Spent about eight hours figuring out their cloud platform of choice and doing a basic "hey look I'm not a moron" app to get the interview at all. They sent me that assignment in the middle of a cross-country vacation that I told them about, so I was annoyed that I kinda had to scramble to meet the deadline a couple of days before the interview.

I was there 10 minutes early, just in case but ~four of the five people on the meeting invite weren't there at all, including the recruiter. That was awkward because I was just standing there wondering who actually worked for the company I was interviewing with until someone approached me and asked who I was looking for. They stuck me in a room with a guy who I assume was a junior dev who spent a few minutes pulling up my resume on his iPad and, when we somehow got to talking about a simple side-project I keep on my Github, mentioned that he was impressed I knew regex so well.

Eventually, the development lead came in and we had an actually decent chat about what I did and didn't like about their language of choice while the other guy sat there pawing at his iPad. That went pretty well until he mentioned that sometimes the CEO (who was just over there in that conference room talking on his phone, see?) is a real high-energy go-getter who will sometimes be so overwhelmed with what a great job you're doing that he'll call after midnight to tell you that. And that zany story about how they thought their UI lead had quit without notice because nobody heard from him for a couple of months but it turns out he was just rewriting some core system from scratch! How cool is that?

My sample app came up in that I showed how that it worked on my phone because I had kept a link to it just in case. Nobody had looked at the sample code I sent. The dev lead might have managed to open on his phone from the email I sent, but I could be misremembering that.

I heard back from them a year later when the recruiter sent me the exact same email as they used on first contact. Didn't reply that time, but maybe if they do it again this year I will and see if it jogs any memories.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 19, 2016

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Off-topic, but re: Fibonacci discussion earlier, someone came up with a non-iterative integer math solution:
code:
 def fib(n):
        return (4 << n*(3+n)) // ((4 << 2*n) - (2 << n) - 1) & ((2 << n) - 1)
It's still slower than the matrix exponentiation approach because the integers involved are loving enormous, but it's pretty neat that it works. You can now confuse the poo poo out of whoever asks you to code Fibonacci-related things on your next interview.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh never seen that double slash operator. Integer division.

rsjr
Nov 2, 2002

yay for protoss being so simple that retards can win with it

Munkeymon posted:

Lemme see if I can help the thread pull out of the stall:

It sucks you had to waste time interviewing at that place, but they're too typical to be a horror show in my opinion. Just general HR / organizational incompetence with no malice or true idiotic poo poo.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I hate to dredge it up, but there's a closed form expression for the nth Fibonacci number so recursion or iteration are clearly the wrong thing to use.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

leper khan posted:

I hate to dredge it up, but there's a closed form expression for the nth Fibonacci number so recursion or iteration are clearly the wrong thing to use.

How do you compute the closed form expression without recursion or iteration?

And without a gigantic logarithms table.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
If I needed fib(n) in a project and someone gave me the closed form version I'd tell them to redo it the right way.

Premature optimization etc etc

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

leper khan posted:

I know of two closed form solutions for Fibonacci series. One of them is inefficient as gently caress and requires operations on arbitrarily sized numbers, the second one starts giving wrong solutions pretty quickly.

I can easily write efficient (log n counting multiplication and addition as constant time :v:) solution by matrix exponentiation thats 100% accurate, so...

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Lack of feedback is a lurking, sneaky horrorshow from the interview-ee side.

Went to an interview, ran into "How would you compute the sum of all odd numbers from 1 to 1000?"
Instead of "don't worry about syntax just notepad it" as suggested, I use csharppad and make a method that actually has some logic to handle inputs, bumps up the start of the sequence if it's even and bumps down the end if it's even, make sure the start is less than the end, bla blabade bla. I then call it and show the actual sum to everyone, and they're impressed. Then they go "AHA!" when I get around to the drat % operator.

Then I use jsfiddle for the "can you do basic web stuff" thing. Hell yeah bootstrap cdn.

Didn't know of a "(T-)SQL pad" so I did that in notepad. Probably hosed up some syntax there. If one exists that would be the poo poo.

Was told that I did well, and then "nah we want more experience thanks though." Nothing specific, nothing particular, just nah.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Nobody wants to get sued so they say generic things like that because its the safest thing to do. The actual reasons may never be known to you!

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, lawsuits tend to ruin things for everyone. And it is not just US thing, here in Europe my mother's company fired a guy who provably falsified trip expenses and got sued by him in return.

Unsurprisingly, he got his rear end handed to him in court, but...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Space Whale posted:

Lack of feedback is a lurking, sneaky horrorshow from the interview-ee side.

Went to an interview, ran into "How would you compute the sum of all odd numbers from 1 to 1000?"
Instead of "don't worry about syntax just notepad it" as suggested, I use csharppad and make a method that actually has some logic to handle inputs, bumps up the start of the sequence if it's even and bumps down the end if it's even, make sure the start is less than the end, bla blabade bla. I then call it and show the actual sum to everyone, and they're impressed. Then they go "AHA!" when I get around to the drat % operator.

Then I use jsfiddle for the "can you do basic web stuff" thing. Hell yeah bootstrap cdn.

Didn't know of a "(T-)SQL pad" so I did that in notepad. Probably hosed up some syntax there. If one exists that would be the poo poo.

Was told that I did well, and then "nah we want more experience thanks though." Nothing specific, nothing particular, just nah.

Why modulus? In C its just for(count=1; count<1000;count +=2) { sum += count; } or similar...

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Why modulus? In C its just for(count=1; count<1000;count +=2) { sum += count; } or similar...

That only works if you are iterating like a savage...

Obviously only the closed form solutions is good enough for a discerning interviewer.
code:
def sum_of_arithmetic_sequence(start, ceil, step = 1):
    n = (ceil - start - 1) // step + 1
    last = (n-1)*step + start
    return n*(start+last) // 2
:v:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You can just note that the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2 and say "print two hundred fifty thousand."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

sarehu posted:

You can just note that the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2 and say "print two hundred fifty thousand."

That was my thought as well, but I've never interviewed for a position based on my ability to code. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread