Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Jim Barris posted:

It's more of a convenience tax. If I want to watch say, any given zatoichi movie, it's a lot quicker and ever so slightly easier to just pull it up on hulu than torrent it.

yeah i forget that the us services actually have stuff you want to see

everywhere else in the world is a clusterfuck of rightsholders leaving netflix uk (for example) a worthless husk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

It's like two bucks more for the commercial free option. If you have a moral problem with being shown commercials, paying more to get rid of them, people paying for convenience, etc. then you're an idiot. Get a hard moral stance on something more important than avoiding a thirty second Tide commercial.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

yeah i forget that the us services actually have stuff you want to see

everywhere else in the world is a clusterfuck of rightsholders leaving netflix uk (for example) a worthless husk

Oh hell if I didn't live in the US I would torrent the poo poo out of everything, they can't get you overseas. There have been enough punitive punishments in the US for things like this where I would rather just subscribe to Netflix and be done with it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Barris posted:

It's more of a convenience tax. If I want to watch say, any given zatoichi movie, it's a lot quicker and ever so slightly easier to just pull it up on hulu than torrent it.

as a canadian it is almost always much more convenient to pirate things. the clusterfuck of rights holders and content regulations means we don't get any services worth paying for

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

dog buttz posted:

Probably preparing for the death of cable television. It won't be long before everybody starts streaming services. NFL ACCESS $18.99 A MONTH ALL NFL GAMES ALL THE TIME.

or maybe not.

the best thing is that espn is so overbloated and overvalued since its included in even the most basic and bare bones of cable packages you can purchase. its smething like $6 out of every single customer's cable bill.

they wont do digital access b/c they are so deeply entrenched in traditional broadcasting and have alla them ~exclusive contracts~

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
if you have ever wondered 'why can't i just pay for the channels i want' the answer is espn

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Jim Barris posted:

seriously why is everyone defending hulu a loving insufferable movie hipster

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
because Hulu has good movies

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just wish Hulu or Netflix had randomize options for shows.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You could just use this man

https://www.allflicks.net/netflix-randomizer/

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You have to pay for Hulu now?

I perfer to watch adult swim dot com. They show you episode cut into 20 pieces with commercials.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

AugmentedVision posted:

Because no one gets a Hulu subscription for the softcore gay & lesbian movies

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I pay for Hulu. But I'm not a disgusting poor person so I can easily afford it.

There's no commercials on the xbox app.

I also pay for XM radio.

Fite me.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

I also pay for XM radio.

Why? Serious question.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

You have to pay for Hulu now?

I perfer to watch adult swim dot com. They show you episode cut into 20 pieces with commercials.

Some of their programming is free w commercials, some you can watch if you log in with your cable provider, some you have to subscribe to hulu for (and then extra for no commercials - which they go thru great lengths to enforce with an adblock blocker). It is a really confusing model for the consumer.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

paco650 posted:

Why? Serious question.

Soul Town is a good radio station and also you can listen to every sports game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Netflix has both a recommended list and a trending list isn't that enough for you?

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

ded posted:

hulu used to be cool

now its more ads than regular tv

gently caress off hulu

thats cuz its run by the cable people.

their ultimat goal is to subdue u

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just had a thought yesterday - if there's a show you aren't actively binge watching, but just like to watch random episodes from time to time, you can go to imdb and list the episodes of that show by rating, so that way you're not going to pick some random poo poo episode.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
all I know this region lock stuff is stupid as hell

Better Call Saul Season 2 is on Netflix in the UK (and some other countries), but not here in the USA because Sony owns the distribution rights and AMC doesn't want to compete with Netflix - Amazon can show it though.

Cool I'm just going to pirate it now, retards. I don't even have cable and gently caress you I'm not signing up for 3 different streaming services.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wait season 2 already started?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

notZaar posted:

Wait season 2 already started?

Like 6 episodes deep. It's great

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

AugmentedVision posted:

There is nothing pretentious about chambara, you might as well say im pretentious for liking westerns.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
i mean seriously who doesn't like watching samurai swordfight while some reeds wave in the wind and poo poo and the sun is setting then like one of them blinds the other by reflecting the sun with his sword and SLINK he loving chops the other dudes head off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok so I'm confused I thought paying for Hulu still had ads, now there's an ad free option and an option for commercials? How much more is no ads?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ok so I'm confused I thought paying for Hulu still had ads, now there's an ad free option and an option for commercials? How much more is no ads?

it's like $2-3 more, basically makes it as much as netflix

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Jim Barris posted:

i mean seriously who doesn't like watching samurai swordfight while some reeds wave in the wind and poo poo and the sun is setting then like one of them blinds the other by reflecting the sun with his sword and SLINK he loving chops the other dudes head off.

IFC used to have Samurai Saturdays where they'd show like 3 good movies in a row every Saturday morning. That poo poo was like Saturday morning cartoons for grown ups, it was awesome.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Buglord
holy moly hulu finally added a no-commercials-whatsoever plan.

About 4-5 months ago I did my free premium trial and found out that they still had commercials so cancelled the same day.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hulu is my favorite of all the streaming services

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
If you only get one streaming service, you gotta go with amazon prime though. Between The Wire and Justified, I've already gotten my money's worth, besides the extra crap like Amazon music (pretty crappy tbh, but it's extra crap for free) and free 2 day shipping

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

paco650 posted:

Why? Serious question.

well, when I first got it, I lived out in the sticks so the only thing on the radio is country, which I don't like, or christian talk radio. so I got it for cheap and was able to listen so some decent pop radio stations.

I"ve kept it because I like several stations and even though I live in a city, I like radio without 6 minutes of commercials between each song. some of the stations play stuff I don't ever hear.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like commercials. They're funny

Especially the car insurance ads

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Moridin920 posted:

it's like $2-3 more, basically makes it as much as netflix

Oh ok so everyone complaining is either out of the loop or a poor

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

IFC used to have Samurai Saturdays where they'd show like 3 good movies in a row every Saturday morning. That poo poo was like Saturday morning cartoons for grown ups, it was awesome.

I remember that. But just think man now, with the magic of hulu, every day can be that day potentially. Now that's progress if I've ever seen it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I like commercials. They're funny

Especially the car insurance ads

That's a great imitation of an annoying boor.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Jim Barris posted:

samurai movies fuckin rule

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Jim Barris posted:

I remember that. But just think man now, with the magic of hulu, every day can be that day potentially. Now that's progress if I've ever seen it.

Oh definitely, I was just thinking back to when that was like the only choice. I was stuck at work Friday night and a few of us watched Sanjuro while we were waiting for something, it was pretty cool.

HumanDecency
Oct 5, 2015
I'm watching Legends of Tomorrow on Hulu Plus right now. No commercials. I'm a member of the 1 percent.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
those criterion movies are for loosers like those two homos in their criterion commercial. Why am i watching commercials for hulu on hulu anyway when i am paying anyway? hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Hulu has Heathers so I'm pretty much okay with paying for it.

• Locked thread