Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

factorio is cool I may die this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

lmao

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

did you make this tiny honker

I made the honks small but it's really been a labor of love from many people

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

language barrier aside, it would be cool if game dev stuff was more transparent overall. especially when things fail, there's rarely any info on why

its way more close ranked than the film industry, which is irksome

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

didn't know what this was until the replies told me

lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

rest in peace space flower

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

dogsicle posted:

language barrier aside, it would be cool if game dev stuff was more transparent overall. especially when things fail, there's rarely any info on why

we thankfully get a lot more from western indie devs nowadays which is cool

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

"attain stable employment before blowing your cash on anime merch"- Motto (never employed, mild hypocrite)

i agree but cannot honestly condone employment

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Blhue posted:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I thought you were just gonna gradually make it bigger, but I still laughed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blhue posted:

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

rest in peace space flower

6 images, ban this nerd

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

theres tons of cool stories about japanese devs well never hear

who cares about writing about game development when you could be the 400th new video series/podcast of boring dudes yelling at videogames

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

maybe because eveyrthing is run with ndas i dunno

you never hear many funny stories about the job because everything seems to be run through the marketing execs first

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

lorv make your sig a growing honks and I'll think you're cool for at least one day

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

if i ever become a dev im gonn atry to keep it relatively transparent
which will mean many incoherent blog posts as i agonize over what color to make the squares

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

its way more close ranked than the film industry, which is irksome

Probably partially because the working conditions for games sucks while filmmaking has been unionized for a long time

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Blhue posted:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Blhue posted:

Take it from me! Don't make my mistakkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

*fades away into the normie dimension*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Motto posted:

who cares about writing about game development when you could be the 400th new video series/podcast of boring dudes yelling at videogames

I will become a games investigative journalist.

Now who is willing to support me with a place to sleep and food?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sylphid posted:

He was posting a metric ton of Umi fan art for like 2 1/2 hours straight (almost all of them being art dumps). Like 20 or something straight posts of basically nothing but Umi fan art, which understandably annoyed Endorph and the thread was closed.

a good reason to close the thread imo. may this thread be love live free :)

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Blhue posted:

I am sympathetic to the original point, but 1. I'm in an utter black hole of employment (southern Iowa blows when it comes to finding decent work, and even when you get work, there's no guarantee you'll hold onto it for any length of time), and 2. my living expenses are *very* low.

This is why, among other reasons, I'm hitting the bricks in terms of applying for overseas work tonight.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

you never hear many funny stories about the job because everything seems to be run through the marketing execs first

the worry that something might hurt the game seems way extreme, and once things have been out or flopped/closed there should be nothing stopping a conversation about it imo

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I've recently been hearing stories from games that were being made in the 90s which is cool but it shouldn't take 20 years to hear stories like these!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dryzen posted:

factorio is cool I may die this way

It looks pretty neat, it'd be cool to see how varied you could be in the game, like can you focus on certain resources and work with the bare minimum on others or is progress mostly linear

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

devs are really really talkative off the record though, from personal experience

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Dryzen posted:

lorv make your sig a growing honks and I'll think you're cool for at least one day

No. Honks is dead. I have demanded so.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

like god forbid we understand why bad things in the industry happen, we might actually learn how to improve it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

You guys should just read the book

There's two of them actually

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Knorth posted:

It looks pretty neat, it'd be cool to see how varied you could be in the game, like can you focus on certain resources and work with the bare minimum on others or is progress mostly linear

there is a progression of sorts but how you optimize your setup is entirely up to you and it's fun trying to make things run at peak optimal conditions so no resources are just sitting around

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Parallax posted:

You guys should just read the book

There's two of them actually

lol reading

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

littleorv posted:

No. Honks is dead. I have demanded so.

clearly the solution is spinning kagura

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

devs are really really talkative off the record though, from personal experience

The problem is that it's not on the record though so.... :confused:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

The game ending condition is making a rocket to escape from the planet I think so as of right now that's the only goal to work towards

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Today I learned that I'm taller then most of in anime chat

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the worry that something might hurt the game seems way extreme, and once things have been out or flopped/closed there should be nothing stopping a conversation about it imo

it seems like a lot of stock is put in the continuation of ip and branding so i dont think they want to release anyhting negative even after the fact, in case they can profit off a later release they can still have total control of the messaging

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my friend is telling me this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e6arLUlGvI isnt a good song

should i make him vanish from this world

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm too busy reading manga for actual books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Blhue posted:

clearly the solution is spinning kagura

Sure

• Locked thread