Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What team will win the D1 Championship this year?
This poll is closed.
Penn State 3 30.00%
Oklahoma State 2 20.00%
Iowa 1 10.00%
Virginia Tech 1 10.00%
Ohio State 3 30.00%
Total: 10 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's that time of year mother fuckers. March Matness. This year's NCAA Wrestling Championships will run from Thursday, March 17th-Saturday, March 19th at Madison Square Garden in New York. All matches on all mats will be available on ESPN3. Additionally, ESPNU or ESPN will cover at least one mat for each session.

Here's the schedule

You can also follow live results and find updated brackets on Trackwrestling

The current top teams according to Intermat
1. Penn State
2. Oklahoma State
3. Virginia Tech
4. Iowa
5. Ohio State
6. Cornell
7. NC State
8. Missouri
9. Illinois
10. Michigan
11. Nebraska
12. North Carolina
13. Oklahoma
14. Rutgers
15. Wisconsin

A full list of qualifiers and initial brackets can be found here

A couple big storylines this year are...

At 165...

Alex Dieringer of Oklahoma State, who hasn't lost a match in over two years, will be going for his third consecutive national championship. Can anybody knock him off?

And at Heavyweight...

Nick Gwaizdowski from NC State is also going for his 3rd title. But standing in his way is Kyle Snyder of Ohio State.

Who had been planning on taking an Olympic Redshirt this season after winning a world championship last summer at 97kg, the youngest American to ever do so. However, back in January he decided to work some collegiate wrestling in to his training and re-enrolled at Ohio State for the semester so he could compete with the team. He wrestled just a few matches in between his travels for international competition before winning the Big 10 tournament a few weeks ago. As long as neither gets upset they will meet in the finals on Saturday night.

You might remember Kyle Snyder as the losing side of the greatest thing that happened at last year's championships
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDl8JOWftg

So what happens over the next three days?

Session 1 (Thursday Afternoon)

33 wrestlers qualify at each weight and they are all alive through this session no matter what happens. This session has one pigtail match per bracket to bring the championship side down to 32 wrestlers and then a full set of 16 matches. There are usually a mix of close matches and horribly overmatched guys who are just happy to be there. Starting last year, the NCAA has seeded to 16 wrestlers instead of 12 as they had in the past. That cuts down on the number of upsets but there is still always a few surprises in the first round. 33 wrestlers enter, 33 wrestlers leave.

Session 2 (Thursday Night)
On the championship side of the bracket you start to have seeded guys compete against each other. More upsets happen in this session, but the top seeds are still generally facing guys they outmatch. That means most of the upsets you see here will be of the 11 over 6, 8 over 9 type variety. On the consolation side you have one pigtail and eight elimination matches. 33 wrestlers enter, 24 wrestlers leave.

Session 3 (Friday Morning)
The championship quarterfinals. These tend to be great matches and this is where the most interesting upsets tend to happen as elite guys square off for the first time. Always lots of good action. On the consolation side you have two rounds. In the first round the losers from the championship round on Thursday night take on the winners of the consolation round from Thursday night. This is where talented guys with unlucky draws start to go home. The next round is the winners of those matches going at it. By the time this is done there are always multiple seeded wrestlers hitting the buffet and unseeded guys making runs deep into the tournament. 24 wrestlers enter, 12 wrestlers leave.

Session 4 (Friday Night)
The "Round of 12". This, in my opinion, is the best round of the tournament. On the championship side a win places you in the finals. On the consolation side a win assures you a top 8 finish and All American status. If anything, the pressure in this round is greater than the pressure in the finals. Everybody left is an ultra talented (or ultra lucky) wrestler and nobody wants to get this far and go home empty handed. After the R12 the consolation bracket will have another round to determine who will stay alive for 3rd place and who will be going into the 7th place match. But honestly that only really matters for team points. Unless you make the finals just getting to the All American rounds is what matters. Ten years from now nobody is going to care or remember if you placed 4th or 7th. Just that you were an All American. 12 wrestlers enter, 8 All Americans leave.

Session 5 (Saturday Morning)
The consolation medal rounds. The losers from the championship semifinals the night before take on the winners of the consolation bracket with a spot in the 3rd place match on the line. Losers of these matches go into the 5th place match. Today is purely about pride and team points, the pressure is off. This can be fun to watch because some guys will really open up their game now that they don't have as much to lose while others will be devastated by not being in the finals and just stand there getting their rear end kicked. Nobody is eliminated here, they just determine how high they are going to be standing on the podium. 6 wrestlers enter, 6 placewinners leave.

Session 6 (Saturday Night)
The finals.
Two finalists enter, One champion leaves.

Get hype.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't have time this weekend to do a fantasy pool but Wrestlestats does one kind of similar to the one I've done. If there is interest we could make a pool there (free) that tracks and updates automatically.

Edit: I went ahead and made one Here's a link. Group name is Something Awful and password is "Stairs". You have to register an account but it is free and takes about 30 seconds.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 17, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Everyone's job is to get sufficently hype that they are Ohio State coach Tom Ryan during every match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfNdp_BRj9U

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I guess Cael Sanderson is as good a coach/recruiter as he was a wrestler.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Group name is SOmething Awful and password is "stairs".

Getting "invalid password" :smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

Getting "invalid password" :smith:

I guess it is case sensitive

Something Awful is the group name (link should work fine)

Stairs is the password. Not stairs.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Please delete, looks too much like march madness and i clicked on it!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

anne frank fanfic posted:

Please delete, looks too much like march madness and i clicked on it!

If Baylor bitch would add a wrestling team then you wouldn't have to be here on accident.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Are these kept on youtube at a later date? I live in canada and dont have espn3

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Thoguh posted:

If Baylor bitch would add a wrestling team then you wouldn't have to be here on accident.

Homosexuality is a sin

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm disappointed that I'm missing these, but I was at the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament a couple weekends ago, and that was a good time, aside from gently caress Penn State winning. I'll still be able to watch most of the earlier rounds, though.

Go Motherfucking Iowa, gently caress Penn State.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Odddzy posted:

Me neither, except I'm in the European Canada. This sounds like a cool thing to watch.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm disappointed that I'm missing these, but I was at the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament a couple weekends ago, and that was a good time, aside from gently caress Penn State winning. I'll still be able to watch most of the earlier rounds, though.

Go Motherfucking Iowa, gently caress Penn State.

I can get behind half of this.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Odddzy posted:

They generally aren't uploaded wholesale but they'll be lots of highlight videos and recaps posted by schools. I have no idea how ESPN3 access works internationally or if any of the pirate sites will have a stream.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Northern Iowa's heavyweight withdrew from the tournament yesterday afternoon due to mumps. That's gotta be a first, at least for this century.

They aren't redrawing the bracket so that's good news for the winner of what is likely to be a consolation match tomorrow morning between Sam Stoll of Iowa and Ross Larson of Oklahoma. Either of them would have been underdogs against Cabell but will be favored against whoever emerges from that part of the consolations with Cabell out.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
I haven't paid enough attention and I can't get that website to work for fantasy but I can't believe Nick Gwaizdowski is still in school. I thought he was a freshman like 7 years ago.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mardragon posted:

I haven't paid enough attention and I can't get that website to work for fantasy but I can't believe Nick Gwaizdowski is still in school. I thought he was a freshman like 7 years ago.

They closed entries a little earlier than I thought they would. So I guess I'm assured at least the silver.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Thoguh posted:

They closed entries a little earlier than I thought they would. So I guess I'm assured at least the silver.

Let's go Hokies :munch:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I hope they record the medical default for the UNI guy before they start so for one glorious hour Drexel can be in first place.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

Thoguh posted:

I should have paid attention last night, I kept hoping you would do the fantasy thing but I definitely don't have the time. I wonder how the scene at MSG is going to be as a wrestling venue.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Go Cowboys! :clint:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rasslin is cool and good.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

rasslin is cool and good.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
#6 Klimara is losing 6-7 to Youstey right now. God drat it Eddie.

edit: unseeded Youstey beats Klimara. Klimara disappoints me in so many ways.

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 17, 2016

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's surprising to me that Mizzou has gotten good recently since I don't remember them being notable at all when I was there (04-08). Do they just have a really good coach?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Tuned in just in time to see Dieringer pin a guy, he's pretty impressive

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker

Mike_V posted:

It's surprising to me that Mizzou has gotten good recently since I don't remember them being notable at all when I was there (04-08). Do they just have a really good coach?

They were actually pretty good in the '04-'08 timeframe and had some really outstanding individuals. They are helped now that they are in the MAC for wrestling and not in the Big 12. They always played second fiddle in the Big 12 to Oklahoma St., Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Iowa State.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Miching Mallecho posted:

Hopefully he stays away from the cocaine tonight if he loses...

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Couple of top 4 seeds, Ramos and Butler just lost in 174

e: and now #2 Realbuto, looks like he hurt his knee at the end also :smith:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 17, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
LELUND WEATHERSPOON MOTHER FUCKERS

(he already had the win when Realbuto injured his knee, hope he's okay)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lelund Weatherspoon is a great name

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
There have been a lot of upsets already today.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
ANd now another 1. Iowa State's unseeded Pat Downey at 197 knocks off #11 seed Phil Wellington from Ohio.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
drat, 7 first round pins at 165. That's a lot.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Top team scores after session 1
code:
+-------------+----------------+------+
|             |                |      |
| Team Scores |                |      |
| 1.          | Ohio St.       | 16.5 |
| 2.          | Penn State     | 16.0 |
| 3.          | Nebraska       | 13.0 |
| 4.          | Iowa           | 11.0 |
| 5.          | Michigan       | 10.0 |
| 5.          | Missouri       | 10.0 |
| 5.          | Oklahoma St.   | 10.0 |
| 8.          | NC State       | 9.0  |
| 8.          | Virginia Tech  | 9.0  |
| 10.         | Illinois       | 6.5  |
| 10.         | Rutgers        | 6.5  |
| 12.         | Iowa St.       | 6.0  |
| 12.         | Lehigh         | 6.0  |
| 12.         | Oklahoma       | 6.0  |
| 15.         | Kent St.       | 5.0  |
| 15.         | Northern Iowa  | 5.0  |
| 15.         | Stanford       | 5.0  |

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
There's going to be a rough match on the backside at 174. #13 Meyer from Iowa and #4 Ramos from North Carolina both got upset and sent down to the consolations. One of them is going to go 0-2. That plays in to the team race to if Iowa gets no points out of Meyer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Miching Mallecho posted:

And he'll get the #11 seed in the first round of consolations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
USA Wrestling's Youtube Channel is posting a whole bunch of videos, mostly interviews with match winners

Here's Sammy Brooks because even though he's an Iowa wrestler he seems pretty cool and gives better post-match interviews than most wrestlers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgOcRFfD06k

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Yam Slacker
Is Ramos a transfer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
WVU did a thing!

197: No. 13 Jacob A. Smith (WVU) dec. Owen Scott (Corn), 3-2

• Locked thread