Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ghostlight posted:

I've been slumming it in a pug city that I'm now the largest investor in, and I'm starting to get bottlenecked by everyone else, so I'm going to add my name to the list of invitees - distelt#24272

And with that, Xtanstic is once again full at 25/25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey OP: I'm back in charge of Xtanstic again. Our new mayor fell off the bandwagon and I never actually quit playing as I thought I was going to, so here I am, back at it. :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CrashCat posted:

The heroes tend to cluster near the upper left no matter what I do, and the workers just wander from station to station they're "using" but it's purely cosmetic. And you can pull from the bins with the sidebar so that's not important either. The only possible consideration I can think of is helping yourself keep track of what object you want to upgrade next.

Weird, mine all cluster around my shopkeeper desk; the one that provides energy.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Mine all cluster on the wooden floor, so I've put all the benches on the stone floor for now.

Are any of the item types better to focus on for making money? Or should I just run lots of quests and sell the special materials on the trading house?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Axiem posted:

Or should I just run lots of quests and sell the special materials on the trading house?

That used to be the way to get rich fast, but since the questing changes, mat prices have tanked and it's not so awesome anymore. Still not a bad plan if you're in a city that has all the heroes unlocked and you can quest higher than you need to be, I suppose.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I will get a few people in tonight.

Also I'm getting to the point where all of my recipes require precrafts of higher quality then what the recipe normally makes :argh:.

I wish I had 1k gems for the second fusion slot :smith:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bad Munki posted:

That used to be the way to get rich fast, but since the questing changes, mat prices have tanked and it's not so awesome anymore. Still not a bad plan if you're in a city that has all the heroes unlocked and you can quest higher than you need to be, I suppose.
Basically in order to make money selling mats now you have to have at least one upgraded trade slot, to sell in bulk and be able to always cancel and undercut

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

okay well the question still didn't get answered, what IS the best way to make money starting out?

I sat around for a half hour telling people to gently caress off and stop asking me to craft cheap poo poo and I don't think that was very optimal.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Use the suggest feature to sell them what you want, I only ever fulfill requests if I have the thing on hand.

When I started off, I just picked a category I liked (knives and maces, that covered most of the heroes I had at the time) and sold those, getting as far down that blueprint chain as I could. Seemed to work out pretty well, and got me leveled up in fairly short order. Going for breadth at low levels is probably the slow road to leveling.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Telex posted:

okay well the question still didn't get answered, what IS the best way to make money starting out?

I sat around for a half hour telling people to gently caress off and stop asking me to craft cheap poo poo and I don't think that was very optimal.

Having played for a week or so, I'd say just focus on unlocking your blueprint trees for now. You'll get good amounts of moneys from fulfilling achievements and participating in the city raids to help your expansion. Once you get to higher level crafts, you can start making some nice money selling them on the trading post. Try and check any of the things you make on the trading post to see if they are selling for much more than what your heroes will pay you for them, and sell them there, and then sell to your heroes items that are about the same price on both. Making racks will help you always be able to suggest something different to people if they come trying to rob you of your expensive items. Make sure to always do the 24 hr supply quests, you can sell the keys they give you for some very decent gold (Wooden = 250k, Leather = 2.5M).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oh yeah, the bulk supply quests are a good shot in the arm at low levels. If they reward you with Great (dark blue) or better equipment then you can consider selling that off on the trade house as well as the keys. Also consider selling the gems by requesting the highest level of key you have access to for a gem price, then offering it for max gold like you do with the others you won.

Your main goal is always to unlock more blueprints, but a good secondary stop along that nearly endless grind is to get enough shopkeep level to get enough worker slots to feel that you don't need to switch them out often.

You also want to consider how to arrange your points to balance between Mastery and crafting points. Mastery controls how often you get high quality crafts, and those are my biggest source of income now that quest artifacts have gone down the shitter. Note that Mastery cannot be higher than the highest crafting skill a worker has, but that means the other crafting skill on a worker can be whatever you want.

You'll have to figure out your own comfort level for balancing Mastery and crafting time required.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Wouldn't it be a good idea to find the combination of workers that covers every skill exactly once?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Axiem posted:

Wouldn't it be a good idea to find the combination of workers that covers every skill exactly once?
Yeah, someone had done that and posted it in the last thread, never made it in to the OP for some reason

I'm looking at you Dragongem

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Axiem posted:

Yeah, but you need at least 4 workers to do this, since there are 11 skills, which you need to be Level 18 for, but in practicality it seems like you need 5 workers because of the how the skills are actually distributed among the workers (Woodworking/Tinkering/Rune Writing seem the hardest to fit for me), and that means you need to be Level 24, which is going to take a while.

Right now I have Master/Artisan/Druid, which gives me the 8 most common skills, but I have quite a few craft lines stuck on Magic and Tinkering, so ideally I'd swap the Druid with the Alchemist, but then I lose Woodworking, so I'm back to waiting to Level 18, and then I still won't have Rune Writing.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 7, 2016

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

how do you get someone with arts and crafts?

it seems like a cloth/leather blocker here and I don't have anyone I can sacrifice for the tailor that doesn't gently caress me over on other stuff.

do your normal guys get to add on another skill later or are you just stuck with who they are?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Telex posted:

how do you get someone with arts and crafts?

it seems like a cloth/leather blocker here and I don't have anyone I can sacrifice for the tailor that doesn't gently caress me over on other stuff.

do your normal guys get to add on another skill later or are you just stuck with who they are?

I did Blacksmith/Leatherworker/Druid until I had enough money to upgrade the Blacksmith and Leatherworker to Master and Artisan, respectively.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Klungar posted:

I did Blacksmith/Leatherworker/Druid until I had enough money to upgrade the Blacksmith and Leatherworker to Master and Artisan, respectively.

yeah that's what I've got going on too, but like my gloves/bracers and hats are all blocked by not having an arts and crafts guy on hand. I'm L13 so it won't be too long assuming I get the $$ by 18 maybe?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Master/Artisan/Druid adds Arts and Crafts and Jewelry to the core Metal/Wood/Weapon/Armor/Textile/Alchemy, which will get you a fair deal farther down your chains before you have to start worrying about Tinkering/Magic which you can take care of at Level 18.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

Any recommendations on how to manage my heroes and their equipment? It's getting difficult to know who needs an upgrade, and whether something I can make would be an upgrade.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Axiem posted:

Any recommendations on how to manage my heroes and their equipment? It's getting difficult to know who needs an upgrade, and whether something I can make would be an upgrade.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I made the following spreadsheet to help me try and track hero equipment.

It's a bit tedious to keep upated, but lets me track the levels of my heroes, their optimal equipment, and where I'm at in my crafting chains in terms of being able to outfit my own guys. Once you get people in their ideal gear you only need to look at them again when 1) Your hero levels up, 2) They break a piece of gear, 3) Your crafting chain catches up with your hero levels if you've fallen behind.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
There's no penalty except for the hiring cost to fire workers and hire different ones whenever you want to change your skills. It's cheaper to do this as little as possible, of course, but they don't lose points or anything. You can just hire them back later.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, someone had done that and posted it in the last thread, never made it in to the OP for some reason

I looked through the old thread and couldn't find it, but I might have missed it. Can someone post it here (or link to it)?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Am I able to have multiple bulk orders at a time?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Axiem posted:

I'm lazy so I just don't bother to replace poo poo til they break it, then give them something I kept on hand :effort:

Axiem posted:

I looked through the old thread and couldn't find it, but I might have missed it. Can someone post it here (or link to it)?
Might have been two threads ago then, I give up. Probably wouldn't help anyway because it was before we had any Tier 3 workers in the big goon cities

Oh never mind, I found the one I was thinking of. Still probably out of date though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=450854122

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 7, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kirtar posted:

Am I able to have multiple bulk orders at a time?

Negative.

However, nothing is stopping you from building up the requested items before accepting a bulk order, and if you tell someone to come back later, they will, with the same order.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
What are your strategies for skilling workers? So far I've just put all of the skills to 30 and then after that pumping one skill + mastery exclusively, but I have no idea if this is a good plan

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

gwrtheyrn posted:

What are your strategies for skilling workers? So far I've just put all of the skills to 30 and then after that pumping one skill + mastery exclusively, but I have no idea if this is a good plan
Yeah, that's what I do, only of course I have higher numbers since I'm further along.

The formula was posted somewhere in this mess but it basically boils down to taking the listed number on the item for skill required divided by points in that skill owned (within workbench capacity), which means it hits diminishing returns fairly fast. Getting 10 points cuts the time in ten but the next 90 points to hit 100 only cuts it by ten again.

Finding your sweet spot for a minimum skill is a personal preference thing, so you may tweak it based on how often you play and how fast your resources come up. Mastery is really great but you don't want to be miserable either.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Also is there some weird daily bonus or something or is my game just bugged? It shows my current weaponcrafting as 284/40, when I most definitely don't have 284 points into weaponcrafting

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Also is there some weird daily bonus or something or is my game just bugged? It shows my current weaponcrafting as 284/40, when I most definitely don't have 284 points into weaponcrafting

Someone invested in whichever building it is that bumps that skill. Look for buildings that are glowing blue on the city map, they're active and are currently providing some sort of ongoing bonus. Click the building to see what.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Klungar posted:

Making racks will help you always be able to suggest something different to people if they come trying to rob you of your expensive items. Make sure to always do the 24 hr supply quests, you can sell the keys they give you for some very decent gold (Wooden = 250k, Leather = 2.5M).

Remember to check the trade house for the current market price of the items you need for the bulk order.

Oftentimes, especially on the low level bulk orders, it's cheaper and easier to buy all or most of the items then fulfill the bulk order immediately, then sell the key for an overall profit.

Same for rush orders, because they pay 2x base price it can be cheaper to buy the item they request from the trade house (and then Surcharge it!) rather than Refuse the rush customer.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Could I get a city invite?

cbear#75485

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So at what point does buying keys to open chests become worth it?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Solkanar512 posted:

Basically never

When you have unlocked all the blueprints you can grind out and there's basically no other way to get new blueprints, that would be the only time really. I'm just guessing though, I am still ages away from that point

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Can a bro can an invite?

storm#18007

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Basically never

When you have unlocked all the blueprints you can grind out and there's basically no other way to get new blueprints, that would be the only time really. I'm just guessing though, I am still ages away from that point

Someone needs to put this poo poo in the OP.

Also, apparently the easy smart answer for making money is "sell poo poo to fill 24hr orders, sell the key you get for 225-250k" because I just made a poo poo ton of money and I could have also avoided spending 200 gems to open chests if I'd known the contents were moderately worthless in the short run.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Telex posted:

Someone needs to put this poo poo in the OP.

Also, apparently the easy smart answer for making money is "sell poo poo to fill 24hr orders, sell the key you get for 225-250k" because I just made a poo poo ton of money and I could have also avoided spending 200 gems to open chests if I'd known the contents were moderately worthless in the short run.

Moderately worthless in the long run too. By the time you get a significant number of chest recipes you'll have out leveled them.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Solkanar512 posted:

Wooden and iron chests are never worth it. Gold chests are useful once you've got the heroes that cap at level 25-30 at cap and are outfitting them with permanent equipment, but they probably aren't really worth it until you hit a net worth somewhere in the 3-5G range. Magic chests depend on your capacity for risk, as there are recipes from them that are wildly profitable. I've made about 5G from one magic chest recipe. If you want to gamble on hitting the good recipes, wait until you have at least a couple of heroes past level 30. Dwarven and Primal chests are both past where I'm at right now.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Eminai posted:

Wooden and iron chests are never worth it. Gold chests are useful once you've got the heroes that cap at level 25-30 at cap and are outfitting them with permanent equipment, but they probably aren't really worth it until you hit a net worth somewhere in the 3-5G range. Magic chests depend on your capacity for risk, as there are recipes from them that are wildly profitable. I've made about 5G from one magic chest recipe. If you want to gamble on hitting the good recipes, wait until you have at least a couple of heroes past level 30. Dwarven and Primal chests are both past where I'm at right now.
Crap, so that's how you did it? I figured you just went ham buying gems or something. :saddowns:

For those who haven't gotten that far, the game abbreviates billions with a "G", as if it were disk space or something. Yeah. Five billion gold. :aaaaa:

Of course it's probably not worth anywhere near that anymore since it's not as rare, right?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

CrashCat posted:

Crap, so that's how you did it? I figured you just went ham buying gems or something. :saddowns:

For those who haven't gotten that far, the game abbreviates billions with a "G", as if it were disk space or something. Yeah. Five billion gold. :aaaaa:

Of course it's probably not worth anywhere near that anymore since it's not as rare, right?

To be fair, it took me ~40 magic chests to hit that recipe, so that's kind of like going ham on gems.

The recipe itself is actually better now, since I only sell it to customers, not on the market, and the last patch made my resource costs go way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Does it take awhile to get invited to a goon city? Just wondering if i should join a pubbie in the mean time.

• Locked thread