Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://i.imgur.com/jTxtApl.gifv

Stellaris is at attempt by Paradox to make a space strategy game rather than their usual games which focus on fairly narrow slices of human history. Stellaris is more or less a standard "4X" space game like any of the dozens of space strategy games where you build colonies and space ships and research tech and conquer poo poo. Paradox though hyped up the fact that this would not just be a "4X" but instead a "grand strategy" game because genre buzzwords mean something. Behind the buzzwords it meant that they were making a classic 4X game but with lots of interesting random events, a greater focus on diplomacy, and a strong sense of exploration and discovery in the early game.

Unfortunately a lot of Paradox's ambitions for the game didn't quite pan out. Entire mechanics were found to be not fun or not working and had to be scrapped and new systems hastily put together. Paradox had little experience or skills in the "4X" genre and underestimated how hard it is to create a fun, manageable, and balanced core mechanic for how your empires grows and expands, and how important that is for every other feature in the game. They also seemingly rushed the game out the door with massive bugs and major event chains and features that simply did not work or were disabled last moment because no one could figure out how to make them balanced or fun in time for release.

The early game is quite compelling, you have a genuine sense of wonder and excitement for what you'll find out there, what your empire will become. But it quickly spirals into micromanagement hell and you realize a lot of the cool choices you've been making or directions you're trying to take your empire are meaningless. The cool sense of early discovery quickly goes out the window after your 3rd or 4th game as you realize you encounter the exact same mysterious alien life forms and mostly the same events and only slightly different random alien races every time. For a paradox game the diplomacy is quite simple, and you never really interact with the entirely randomly generated aliens to generate much of a narrative in your head or get to know any of your rivals or allies.

Ship design seems cool until you realize battle feedback is extremely unintuitive and optimal ship design ends up being extremely boring, generally with a single size or design being king. The player has no control over battles and your fleets often behave in very non-optimal ways, which often devolve into a giant ball of ships and explosions.

Should you buy this game now? That's pretty subjective. I got a good 30 hours of fun out of the game, although most of that was because I was making a lot of assumptions that the core mechanics work and I simply wasn't good at the game or understood it yet. Once I figured out that no, a ton of the mechanics are poo poo, the fun quickly evaporated. Some people love the game, admit it has a long way to go, but still have a blast playing it in its current stage. I'd recommend holding off, wait for the first DLC or two and see what direction they're taking the game because it's almost certain there's going to be big changes going forward.

MODS
Stellaris is fully workshop integrated and there are tons of mods. Do you want only white humans? Do you want animes? Do you want balance mods? Do you want nazi balance mods with giant anime tits? The workshop has you covered.

MULTIPLAYER
Despite being a massive real time micro-management fest some people play this with other people. Some people in fact say it's the only way to truly enjoy the game. There are a few goon groups and ongoing games based on time zones. I'm baffled how anyone can play a Paradox game multiplayer without the ability to constantly ramp between pause and maximum speed and then use a bunch of console commands to fix some ugly borders or an event that didn't fire properly, but they do it, and they love it, and they want you to play too.

This OP, like the game, is a bit poo poo and very much

Thank you for your time, god bless.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I sure hope this turns out better than the last time Paradox tried publishing a space 4X.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Space hype! Also this is happening in one hour.

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/710518731168993280

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

-Troika- posted:

I sure hope this turns out better than the last time Paradox tried publishing a space 4X.

This is different! They're actually developing it this time!

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Paradox - why are you making me wait until May?!? I'm seriously looking forward to this one.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Love this dude's head.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Erev posted:

Paradox - why are you making me wait until May?!? I'm seriously looking forward to this one.

It's amazing to see SA's own Wiz doing the AI.
I have faith in this one - the last few paradox releases are beyond anything they ever used to do. CK2 and such came out and actually worked so fingers crossed for this. I do wish Steam would give a price for it though so I can pre order.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stellaris looks great. I like that there will be a space game that has a robust domestic policy and diplomacy sphere instead of just Warship Lego Sets

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
There is no :getin: big enough for this game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have not been fully on a hype train for many years, but this game, it has me in it's hype grip. I generally really like paradox games, and I've been dying for a good 4x space game since basically moo2. I've got a good feeling about this, and my biggest reservations are all minor things that won't ruin the game one way or another. The DLC potential for this is absolutely wallet-destroying as well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I feel bad because I can't get hype for this. I will play it, I strongly suspect quite a bit, and equally strongly enjoy it, but it's just there. Lurking, knowing I will play it, biding its time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Orv posted:

I feel bad because I can't get hype for this. I will play it, I strongly suspect quite a bit, and equally strongly enjoy it, but it's just there. Lurking, knowing I will play it, biding its time.
I was initially put off by a few of the game features, such as planet tiles, but the rest of the game looks so good that I am getting a little excited.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can you play as Pig People? This is really important.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Warthog people are in, I think.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I was initially put off by a few of the game features, such as planet tiles, but the rest of the game looks so good that I am getting a little excited.
Not empty quoting.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I want to pre-order it but I can't. Please fix.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Races with big members?!

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
I'm extremely hype for this game, but I'm hoping we get a lot of info in the UI, like if there are tell-tale signs about a race's culture from their ships, their map color, or some kind of icons.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will be making a race or fungus people that live on arctic planets. Xenoophobic, spiritual fungi that are slow as hell because they come from a cold climate.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I am read to Make Space Great Again (on May 9th).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I will be making a race or fungus people that live on arctic planets. Xenoophobic, spiritual fungi that are slow as hell because they come from a cold climate.

Juffo Wup fills in my fibers and I need a nap.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I'm hyped for this. Very hyped.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
What I hope from the game - which is hard to see in previews - is that it has a lot of character and theme.

I'm worried that it'll be like in GalCiv. You're the BlogBlogs and you colonise planets or you're the Jerkjerks and colonise planets and they all have the same names. Yes you can name them yourself but it brings the sides alive for me to do that. There's so much more to me about fighting over New Frankfurt than there is to fighting over Aldaris_001 which I've seen in five different games and is just generic as gently caress.

Say every Avian alien race has 400 different potential planet names and it picks them based on what sort of system it is. That'd be great and not too hard. I liked in EU2 when you colonised a place the city there had a name based on who you are - Nye Sjaelland if you're Denmark and so on. I am sort of after that.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Please add this picture to the Humans section

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Look at these loving guys:

But most of all, LOOK AT THIS GUY

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\/\ The alien art is ~AMAZING~, and I will be happy to pay for DLC that adds more crazy cool aliens.

Taear posted:

What I hope from the game - which is hard to see in previews - is that it has a lot of character and theme.

I'm worried that it'll be like in GalCiv. You're the BlogBlogs and you colonise planets or you're the Jerkjerks and colonise planets and they all have the same names. Yes you can name them yourself but it brings the sides alive for me to do that. There's so much more to me about fighting over New Frankfurt than there is to fighting over Aldaris_001 which I've seen in five different games and is just generic as gently caress.

Say every Avian alien race has 400 different potential planet names and it picks them based on what sort of system it is. That'd be great and not too hard. I liked in EU2 when you colonised a place the city there had a name based on who you are - Nye Sjaelland if you're Denmark and so on. I am sort of after that.

Yeah, I hope this makes it in. If not it should hopefully be easy to mod in like the Rosetta mod for EUIV that renames provinces based on culture.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What kind of ethos should stoic slug have?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope the off-map intergalactic invasion is just straight up Aztecs.

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:
Just a heads up, Paradox are about to do a stream of the game in about 20 minutes on their twitch channel.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Baronjutter posted:

But most of all, LOOK AT THIS GUY

Ahahaha, the smuggest slug.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I really want to buy that hat, I'm so hyped. Make Space Great Again!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Inevitably smug slug will be your random generated nemesis and you're going to rue the day he entered your reality.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Have they talked about mod support for this game at all?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hahaha new thread title is good
Mod support will be like previous paradox games, hopefully better than ever from what we've heard. They've said it will be very easy to make custom race graphics too, not sure on ship sets. I'm sure it will all be doable and there will be some amazing "TC" mods.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pakled posted:

Have they talked about mod support for this game at all?

It's still on Clausewitz so just as moddable as CK2 and EU4.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
A fun DLC that would probably be easy to make and please history fans would be a 'Legacy of Earth' DLC or something that adds:

1.) More unique clothing sets for humans - Military dicatorships with medals and such, priestly robes for everyone, Star Trek style space unitards, exotic gold imperial poo poo, etc
2.) More human portraits
3.) Human name sets for characters/ships - Unified Earth (the default mix), Chinese, German, American, etc.
4.) Some unique human events

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Can't wait to be murdered by space Ottomans so I can shake my fist at the sky and yell, "DOOOOOOOMDARK!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

A fun DLC that would probably be easy to make and please history fans would be a 'Legacy of Earth' DLC or something that adds:

1.) More unique clothing sets for humans - Military dicatorships with medals and such, priestly robes for everyone, Star Trek style space unitards, exotic gold imperial poo poo, etc
2.) More human portraits
3.) Human name sets for characters/ships - Unified Earth (the default mix), Chinese, German, American, etc.
4.) Some unique human events

They already know humans will be by far the most popular race to play. I'm sure within months they'll release stats saying 70% of players play some sort of "custom human". So some rather human-centric DLC should hopefully come down the pipes. Although stuff like portraits and clothing should be within modders easy reach. Just grab the big HUMAN CLOTHING PACK, or of course the most popular content on the forums, the human portrait pack that is 100% white people with slightly nazi-esq fashion.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

They already know humans will be by far the most popular race to play. I'm sure within months they'll release stats saying 70% of players play some sort of "custom human". So some rather human-centric DLC should hopefully come down the pipes. Although stuff like portraits and clothing should be within modders easy reach. Just grab the big HUMAN CLOTHING PACK, or of course the most popular content on the forums, the human portrait pack that is 100% white people with slightly nazi-esq fashion.

Haha yeah gently caress those hypothetical casuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Phlegmish posted:

Haha yeah gently caress those hypothetical casuals

Casual forums nazi's ??

• Locked thread