Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pls light a candle in an act of sombre remembrance or whatever
Light a candle
Jerk off and come all over the grave of Leonard Nimoy with all the power of your accumulated sexual frustration
View Results

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
LEXX is one of the worst shows I've ever watched all of. Okay, the worst. But it has one good episode: Brigadoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
WEOH WAY ROOM, HOHM VAH-REIGN

WEOH WAY WROTH, HOHM BRUNEN-G

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

The original movies (the 'first season') are the best, if only because Eva Habermann's Xev is waaaaay hotter than Zenia Seeberg's Zev. :colbert:

While this is true, Xenia has aged a lot better than Eva.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm still coming to terms with this experience

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Apoplexy posted:

LEXX is one of the worst shows I've ever watched all of. Okay, the worst. But it has one good episode: Brigadoom.
That was basically the turning point of the series to me. After that, it never quite felt fun again.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of don't count 'season 1', personally. I couldn't get through it and wasn't that season just a series of more or less TV movies?

I also sort of like that just about every season had some crazy out there episode that I thought that was surprisingly really good and felt more important that it really was. I was also sort of surprised that the storyline for season 2 actually progressed the way it did. It was something I first assumed was going to be a one-off 'joke' thing that I enjoyed how quickly it was quietly escalating in the background to the ignorance of the main cast.

I also feel that had the show been a tad more serious, a slightly bigger budget and less campy and sex-driven, it might have some greater respect over the years.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I thought the movies were loving awesome, actually, especially with the star power they got. Malcolm McDowell, Tim Curry, Rutger Hauer? They were loving awesome.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WarLocke posted:

WEOH WAY ROOM, HOHM VAH-REIGN

WEOH WAY WROTH, HOHM BRUNEN-G
Veoh way oh
Home via ray
Veoh way rah
Jurroom Brunnen-G

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of don't count 'season 1', personally. I couldn't get through it and wasn't that season just a series of more or less TV movies?
But Eating Pattern is one of the best episodes, and Super Nova is great too. I Worship His Shadow and Giga Shadow drag a bit at times, but they're still decent.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Watching the first episode of Lexx. So far, it owns.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Lexx is great! More fun than Sea Quest: DSV or Babylon 5

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Babylon 5 wasn't fun. It was sometimes funny, but it wasn't fun.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Apoplexy posted:

Babylon 5 wasn't fun. It was sometimes funny, but it wasn't fun.

I liked it when they advertised Zema in the space bars.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The wheel it turns, it rolls around...

...it makes an ancient, rumbling sound.

e: Also episode 1 talk was reminding me that Barry Bostwick was in the first TV movie. And then they had Tim Curry in the second. It's like a passing of the torch of campy sci-fi fantasy.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 20, 2016

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Before DVDs were a thing, my autistic brother VHS taped the entire series, then used his editing equipment to remove every second of advertisements so that he could have a pure archive of the show.

I suspect he's fairly representative of the fanbase, really. (He also considers the red haired Xev inferior in every respect to the white haired one. He thinks she quit because she was too good for the show and they couldn't afford to keep her.)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Pfffrp what a rookie. I actually bought the DVDs so I could watch the fourth season way ahead of its UK airing.

Look at that thing of beauty. Even the names of the episodes conjure up such breathtaking wonderment. "Xevivor". the perfect parody of Survivor, "The Rock", well I can't remember anything about that episode but I'm sure it must be awesome. "Walpurgis Night", well, just imagine. And "Vlad", well, no prizes for guessing who that is!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Noun Verber posted:

It's like if farscape were made by sexually repressed europeans. Pretty good.

Europeans aren't sexually repressed though...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well Farscape did a good job with showing a concept of alien races that was quirky, but logical and understandable.

Lexx was smothered in libido and weird and incomprehensibly alien. And it gave no fucks. Think a race of slavemen engineered to maintain insectile shuttles is odd? Massage these balls to take a shower, then suck some goop out of this phallic structure. Not so odd now is it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oh man, I somehow forgot that the whole Mantrid plotline is introduced in the very first (non-movie) episode.

Everything about this show is organic and sticky and gross, down to the flight sticks on the flies being giant ball sacks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Well Farscape did a good job with showing a concept of alien races that was quirky, but logical and understandable.

Lexx was smothered in libido and weird and incomprehensibly alien. And it gave no fucks. Think a race of slavemen engineered to maintain insectile shuttles is odd? Massage these balls to take a shower, then suck some goop out of this phallic structure. Not so odd now is it.

WarLocke posted:

Oh man, I somehow forgot that the whole Mantrid plotline is introduced in the very first (non-movie) episode.

Everything about this show is organic and sticky and gross, down to the flight sticks on the flies being giant ball sacks.

Freud would watch this show and throw up in his mouth, it's great.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Top of the list for me are the toilets that have tongues and rim you clean. Gets all the way up in there. Pretty refreshing once you get used to it, apparently.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I've been re-watching the series. Lafftrack is such a good second season episode.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I'd love to see a compilation of all of Kai's "The dead do not..." sayings. He had some great lines.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

"I killed mothers with their babies. I've killed great philosophers, proud young warriors, and revolutionaries. I've killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful. I have done this in the service of His Divine Shadow and his predecessors, and I have never once shown any mercy." Pure badass.

And then the insane version, "[...] and apparently the fun never ends!"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Knee posted:

I'd love to see a compilation of all of Kai's "The dead do not..." sayings. He had some great lines.

The dead do not... poo.

Dekenai
Mar 11, 2009

Knee posted:

"I killed mothers with their babies. I've killed great philosophers, proud young warriors, and revolutionaries. I've killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful..."

"... but it's been a while since I slayed a whole room full of petty bureaucrats."

Also:

"The dead are weird"

I love Kai.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

In 2001 lexx was the best sci fi on television and i have fond memories of weird gross boobtrek

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Pretty much. It was on late-night weekend TV when I was 14 so it filled a void I didn't know I had at that age.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Seasons 1 and 2 were amazing. 3 started going off the rails and got hard to watch, and 4 was just awful. I bought the first season on VHS when they came out, and got season 2 on DVD, then replaced season 1 on DVD. For whatever reason the season 1 VHS tapes were going for hundreds at one point and I have no idea why.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

There's a bunch of different regional releases and varying versions out there. Some cut/censored some uncensored but maybe still cut/rearranged? The placing of certain flashbacks are different depending on version. Also, I got the collectible tin that's region 4 locked, didn't know until I watched it (as it was not stated anywhere) that it was censored. Not the blur kind but the completely removing some sexuality and violence kind, like a bare breast or an organ dropping into the collection pit. I remember seeing both on SciFi channel back in the day, given the nudity was blurred. Still pisses me off a bit (what the gently caress Beyond Home Entertainment? It's a DVD, I expect all the goodies).

What I'm saying basically is.. so many different versions there's probably never to be printed again types of things out there and you know how people eat that poo poo up. Plus, cult classic status.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx#Releases Not even all the differences are listed here.

Knee fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 14, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Philthy posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 were amazing. 3 started going off the rails and got hard to watch, and 4 was just awful.

Season 1 and 2 have enough to keep you interested, but season 3 is where it really picks up and season 4 is amazing.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I somewhat agree. My personal favourite is Season 2, but Season 3 is a very close second because it's actually a very tightly plotted arc of 13 episodes. Season 4 was very hit and miss for me

e: the episode with Rimmer and Hollie from Red Dwarf was cool. Somehow they managed to get some very good guest stars from time to time

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Even when Season 4 was "bad" it was so out there that I didn't care. I loved that they had poo poo like an entire episode be a Seventh Seal-esque chess game based on a real-life chess match, and then some other episode has Laika the plant lady as a giant kaiju monster eating Japan.

And Dr. Longbore was the best character. That loving rocket at the end.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

And Dr. Longbore was the best character. That loving rocket at the end.

Dr Longbore gets much more amazing once you google his other roles on Lexx he's the voice of his SHADOW

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

Such a memorable voice, like James Earl Jones, etc.

Edit: OT - Holy poo poo, JEJ is 85 and still voicing Darth Vader. I wonder if Vader still sounds the same these days. Anyone watch Star Wars Rebels?

Knee fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 15, 2016

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that all this deep heavy sci-fi stuff is constantly going down but all anyone can think about is getting laid (except Kai who DGAF) was sorta revolutionary for me, coming from the sexless star wars and Star Trek, where like one dude was banging and everyone else did their jobs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Maybe I was ruined by watching Farscape first, which had sex and all but wasn't so stupid about it.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Oh please. Moya didn't even have a dick shower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Na'at posted:

Oh please. Moya didn't even have a dick shower