Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when i was a kid i remember reading there was a super laser beam with a much longer input, but i can't for the life of me find anything about it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Looper posted:

when i was a kid i remember reading there was a super laser beam with a much longer input, but i can't for the life of me find anything about it now

I think it's C^, C>, Cv, C< (x2) + Z. I'll try it out in a later video.

I also forgot to post the cover of Frog Mountain that I mentioned this episode, because it rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6gZXG7DleA&hd=1

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:siren: Episode 7 – サスケデレ

CURRENT GAME OVER COUNT: 四でござる。。。ばか。

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 28, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PLASMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:siren: Episode 8 – Practical TAS Techniques, course 102

CURRENT GAME OVER COUNT: 5. It begins.

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 28, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So what, does it take some time for your character to rotate to the direction you're pointing in while under water? If so, that definitely sounds painful with how inaccurate the N64 controls could be at times.

Though even then, I could probably never stay angry at this game with that game over screen. :allears:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ramos posted:

So what, does it take some time for your character to rotate to the direction you're pointing in while under water? If so, that definitely sounds painful with how inaccurate the N64 controls could be at times.

Though even then, I could probably never stay angry at this game with that game over screen. :allears:

iirc sasuke is almost too responsive but can only attack from super close up and aiming is awful, whereas yae controls much more sluggishly but has that invincible charge and can attack at range though aiming is awful

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:siren: Episode 9 – No progress was made

CURRENT GAME OVER COUNT: 8 :getin:

Looper posted:

Ramos posted:

iirc sasuke is almost too responsive but can only attack from super close up and aiming is awful, whereas yae controls much more sluggishly but has that invincible charge and can attack at range though aiming is awful

Yeah, Sasuke does seem to be more responsive underwater, but Yae works better because of her range and speed (and invincibility). Aiming isn't too bad once you get the hang of it; there's definitely other, more pressing (hah!) control issues to complain about in this game.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Three game overs in a single update with zero progress! This is promising absolutely terrible what kind of monsters would make a game like this

Also was that a Urusei Yatsura costume for Yae at the start?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 11, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I loving love this game.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This castle is where I put down this game. I remember spending hours just getting through it, and when I finally did, 10 year old me decided "yeah I basically beat this game, no need to do any more of it."

Watching this castle again, I do not regret that decision in the slightest.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I actually beat this game back when I was a dumb kid with more stubbornness than sense. So speaking from experience I'd say that the game would be hard but fair if it wasn't for the loving camera, which moves it into bullshit territory. The way that it's just a bit too zoomed in and is almost always badly positioned means that you basically have to trial and error your way through everything, because you can't see what's coming for poo poo.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

i like this picture

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ryugu Castle theme :swoon:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Alabaster White posted:

Ryugu Castle theme :swoon:
The Ryugu Castle music is so good.
In Japan there's a Goemon pachinko game (because that's what Konami does with game series instead of making new entries) and they remixed a bunch of music from this game for it, including the Ryugu Castle music.
Of the music we've heard so far in the LP, there's also a remix of the first castle music, Kappa Road, Frog Mountain, and PLASMA.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

GilliamYaeger posted:

Also was that a Urusei Yatsura costume for Yae at the start?

Yes, I was about to mention that before Kuvo laughed at Goemon's Impact costume. It's a funny reference, but unfortunately also highlights how blocky character models were in that era.

Cerebral Bore posted:

So speaking from experience I'd say that the game would be hard but fair if it wasn't for the loving camera, which moves it into bullshit territory. The way that it's just a bit too zoomed in and is almost always badly positioned means that you basically have to trial and error your way through everything, because you can't see what's coming for poo poo.

I'd argue that the size of the characters and enemies in relation to the rest of the screen is just fine, but I totally agree on the camera tracking part. It's the difference between stuff like this and this. (Most of Nintendo's first-party 2D games do this well. Also that's a fascinating article that goes into depth about camera tracking in side-scrollers.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I loving love this game.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

The Ryugu Castle music is so good.
In Japan there's a Goemon pachinko game (because that's what Konami does with game series instead of making new entries) and they remixed a bunch of music from this game for it, including the Ryugu Castle music.
Of the music we've heard so far in the LP, there's also a remix of the first castle music, Kappa Road, Frog Mountain, and PLASMA.

That Kappa Road. I'd pay money for the composers of the 64 games to make an album that's just Goemon style music.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I just started listening to basically that entire Pachislot OST and I don't even care this is from Mystical Ninja instead, GODDAMN LISTEN TO THAT SHAMISEN AND HAMMOND ORGAN

Also there's a remix of my aforementioned favorite GGA track in that playlist, but I will wait to post it until the time comes :3:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So which character are you most comfortable playing with at this point? Goemon?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:siren: Episode 10 – loving CHRIST

CURRENT GAME OVER COUNT: 10, double digits baby!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So which character are you most comfortable playing with at this point? Goemon?

I'd say Sasuke, followed closely by Yae. Kuvo will disagree, of course (double jumping).

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

A sonorous choir of penitents posted:

YOU SON OF A BITCH! loving CHRIST! GGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

SING, MY ANGEL OF MUSIC! :unsmigghh:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Kuvo did that on purpose.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

After that perfect ending of Kuvo failing to heed his own constant past advice, I felt this was both fitting, and needed.

Here's to many more episodes of Game Overs.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
drat that camera really hates your guts.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
RIP headphone users, indeed.

So does the game just ignore inputs if one person gets hit or something? It seems like a lot of times you magically can't jump while someone is say, standing in spikes.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Zenostein posted:

So does the game just ignore inputs if one person gets hit or something? It seems like a lot of times you magically can't jump while someone is say, standing in spikes.

If you're referring to something like this, then nope: it's just the bad camera. Goemon can't move right any further because Yae is all the way to the left, and since neither character model is supposed to go off-screen and the view doesn't zoom out, you get situations where a player will be screwed because they can't get to a safe position before taking more damage.

Volfogg posted:

After that perfect ending of Kuvo failing to heed his own constant past advice, I felt this was both fitting, and needed.

Here's to many more episodes of Game Overs.

This is fantastic.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The whole time I was wondering "when does the second game over happen?". Delicious.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:siren: Episode 11 – Skeleton Fish Missiles, on tour 4/16–6/18

CURRENT GAME OVER COUNT: 10. I made sure of this.

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 28, 2016

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's nice to see that the game itself is on our side in the game over count contest and is trying its best to inflate the numbers.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I do have to wonder if they playested 2 player at all, and if they did, if they were just like "gently caress it, the camera is impossible to fix, just ship it."

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Remember when Konami turned Ebisumaru into an anime girl?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Yes. I really didn't play much of that game past the first stage.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

MiniFoo posted:

If you're referring to something like this, then nope: it's just the bad camera. Goemon can't move right any further because Yae is all the way to the left, and since neither character model is supposed to go off-screen and the view doesn't zoom out, you get situations where a player will be screwed because they can't get to a safe position before taking more damage.

Yeah, pretty much. I guess that's better if the game does just kill you every time you aren't on screen. Except it seems to refuse to recenter the camera when one player dies, so hahahaha.

It also kinda looks like the camera isn't quite aware you're on a second level, like when you're on the second floor after the underwater tunnel. What an amazing sidescrolling camera they came up with.

I assume the camera is just as poo poo in 1p, only you don't have a second personlead weight pinning it somewhere inconvenient all the time?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:siren: Episode 12 – I am your enemy I suppose.

CURRENT GAME OVER COUNT: 10, because again, Impact battles don't count

a cartoon duck posted:

Remember when Konami turned Ebisumaru into an anime girl?

Technically, they actually did this twice. First, in the ending of Ganbare Goemon 2 for the Famicom:

Then in this game (that I should have gotten ready for an April Fools switch):

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 28, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm glad Fishman of the Month got a less pathetic Impact battle in this game.

e: he does a victory pose when he wins :3:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Incidentally, Impact and Miss Impact have separate health bars, so you probably would have won on that second attempt if you hadn't switched back to the half-dead giant robot.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I assume that Suzaku's supposed to be a yōkai since the term is often translated as ghost during localization.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Cerebral Bore posted:

Incidentally, Impact and Miss Impact have separate health bars, so you probably would have won on that second attempt if you hadn't switched back to the half-dead giant robot.

I didn't even notice that, so thanks for pointing it out. I'm sure we'll totally forget by the next time we need to drunk drive the robots.

By the way, a new episode will be posted soon – I've been reorganizing my Google+ pages and poo poo, so I'll be starting to reupload the current videos to an old channel as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

:siren: Episode 13 –– Grimace's Revenge

CURRENT GAME OVER COUNT: one dozen

All of the old videos are now located on my "new" (old) YouTube channel, so if you actually care about subscription notifications, please follow me there from now on. I've also added a playlist to the OP.

• Locked thread