Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
This is the best thread, and there are some amazing people here who do some incredible work.
Also, yay Butters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
Butterscotch lost an entire cat, that is incredible. Bravo to you, Chili! :toot:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
He's so reduced in fat, he'll have to be MargarineScotch or I Can't Believe It's Not Butterscotch.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Deeter decided to be super awesome and differ his avatar certificate that he won in the caption contest to the MDSPCA, so I just sent them some coin. Thread continues to deliver all the good feels. You're all the best!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Geolicious posted:

I Can't Believe It's Not Butterscotch.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Yay Butterscotch! And congrats on your honeymoon/marriage!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very good updates

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yay, Butters! Yay, persiankitty! :neckbeard:

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Jesus Christ, this thread is something magical. For months my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting a cat but we do a lot of weekend trips and haven't really 'looked' specifically. We're moving in another month or so to a bigger home in the countryside because we need the space.
I start talking again yesterday about wanting a cat and he chimes in. Want a cat. Now. The rear end in a top hat neighbor's cross-eyed rear end in a top hat cat will not be counting because the dickhead sprays everything and tears up the screens of our place to be let in sometimes when it's raining. We're nice to him but when it stops raining, it's get the gently caress off the porch.
After reading this thread, this strange new kitteh shows up yesterday. Tabby with tiny white toe socks. Kinda fat. She hangs outside on our porch all loving day, then finally we let her in. She makes a beeline for the bed and starts making biscuits on the comforter as soon as I let her in. Follows me around for food. Plays with twine when we drag it across the floor. watches me type.
I kicked her out for the night because I feel this is definitely someone's cat. I'm annoyed she doesn't have a collar. We'll be putting up flyers tomorrow. I need to put up some pics of her too.
But I feel bad putting her out because it's chilly tonight :(
I left food, water, and a makeshift bed on the porch.
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing... I mean, maybe she's just wayward slut cat that likes wandering around and trying to make herself at home in people's beds. Have no idea.
It's like a whirlwind kitten romance and I'm probably going to get so burned.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 17, 2016

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

MadSparkle posted:

Jesus Christ, this thread is something magical. For months my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting a cat but we do a lot of weekend trips and haven't really 'looked' specifically. We're moving in another month or so to a bigger home in the countryside because we need the space.
I start talking again yesterday about wanting a cat and he chimes in. Want a cat. Now. The rear end in a top hat neighbor's cross-eyed rear end in a top hat cat will not be counting because the dickhead sprays everything and tears up the screens of our place to be let in sometimes when it's raining. We're nice to him but when it stops raining, it's get the gently caress off the porch.
After reading this thread, this strange new kitteh shows up yesterday. Tabby with tiny white toe socks. Kinda fat. She hangs outside on our porch all loving day, then finally we let her in. She makes a beeline for the bed and starts making biscuits on the comforter as soon as I let her in. Follows me around for food. Plays with twine when we drag it across the floor. watches me type.
I kicked her out for the night because I feel this is definitely someone's cat. I'm annoyed she doesn't have a collar. We'll be putting up flyers tomorrow. I need to put up some pics of her too.
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing... I mean, maybe she's just wayward slut cat that likes wandering around and trying to make herself at home in people's beds. Have no idea.

Well, as far as I'm concerned outdoor cats without a collar are fair game and it sounds like you'd make for a good owner. It's cool of you to put up flyers and such but that also means you may be best suited holding onto to the kitty. If the owners come around looking for it and it decides to go somewhere else, that won't be good for anyone.

It may be a personal axe to grind but people who let their cats roam around with putting a collar on them are not good owners. So I say, hold on to good kitty and it's yours for now unless you hear from the owner. If, however, the cat freaks out being indoors and needs to go out, that's another bridge to cross. You shouldn't feel guilty about keeping it indoors, though, if it wants to be in your house and you're cool with it being in your house, the cat should be in your house enjoying the warmth and the love.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

I've been having this insane moral dilemma all day about it. Of course I completely agree with you, and I do feel this way. I have seen WAY too many people where I live (and many places I've lived, and I've lived in a lot of places) let their pets go around without collars and it just pisses me off.

Since we have no litterbox and everything's closed, toe socks tabby has to stay outside tonight :( ... My feeling is she'll be back tomorrow (I really hope). .. but we will bring her in tomorrow and keep her in until we sort things out.
Thank you so much for responding so soon and giving some sound advice about this.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

MadSparkle posted:

I've been having this insane moral dilemma all day about it. Of course I completely agree with you, and I do feel this way. I have seen WAY too many people where I live (and many places I've lived, and I've lived in a lot of places) let their pets go around without collars and it just pisses me off.

Since we have no litterbox and everything's closed, toe socks tabby has to stay outside tonight :( ... My feeling is she'll be back tomorrow (I really hope). .. but we will bring her in tomorrow and keep her in until we sort things out.
Thank you so much for responding so soon and giving some sound advice about this.

You got it. My wife agrees, and I'm guessing you'll hear similar things from the good folks in this thread.

Remember, it's never wrong to do the right thing. The simple action of looking after an animal in need is a right and good thing. Putting up flyers is a good and responsible thing. Kicking the owner in the shins for not collaring their outdoor cat would also be good and responsible.

My only beef with you is that there are no pictures of toe-socks-tabby ( a great name on its own by the way). So yeah, if you are graced with her presence tomorrow, you better fix that.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Yeah, I've never posted pics here before and really need to learn how to.

I of course come from a family of crazy cat people and the gene has been on hiatus for too long probably. Family usually had about 7+ cats when I was growing up.
One of the last cats I got on my own was Wolfie, a tiny feral kitten that I could hold in my already tiny hands. I found her in the neighbor's dog food bowl, eating, while her siblings hissed and created all kinds of noise. I watched her for a week, and kept getting closer every day and then one day just grabbed her...a tropical storm was about to hit the area. She was grateful but terrified, yet out of all her siblings (trapped by the humane society in the area she lived), she was the sweet one. When she was about a year old, I met my ex, who was allergic to cats, and she stayed with my family...which was actually kind of great for her since it was a 5 acre ranch with 7 other cats that were really chill, and my parents' dog that patrolled the area and literally protected the cats.
Wolfie bonded hard with my dad and when he was diagnosed with cancer, she lay on him when he was getting chemo...she lost hair when he lost hair... it was pretty incredible. He went into remission and she still remains 'his' cat. She literally never leaves my parents' bedroom, except to occasionally torment Miso Soup, a tortie I found a few years later and that my sister adopted (she lives at home and takes care of family), while Miso steals from Wolfie's food bowl and always keeps an eye out for her coming, and then runs away while screaming bloody murder with her howls.

So much of this would be better with photos. Photos make everything better. So I need to just shut up and do this.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 17, 2016

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
It's super easy. You just go to https://www.imgur.com upload the photo there, click on get share links and copy the one that says "for forums".

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

MadSparkle posted:

It's like a whirlwind kitten romance and I'm probably going to get so burned.

I used to live out in the country, and a cat came and adopted me in a similar way. I'd feed him on the porch, he'd purr his rear end off and eat food, but I didn't take him in right away because I wasn't sure if he was somebody's cat or if mine would tolerate him. As it got cold out, I decided if he was anybody else's cat, they weren't very good at it, and mine would probably learn to deal. I took him in and I think he lived with me for about 14 years. He was very much my cat, and while I've had and still have some great ones, he was The Best Goddamn Cat Ever.

Proof:

Also, on slut cats: I currently have one that the shelter called an attention whore, and it's ridiculous how happy he gets when I pet him. He was friendly to other people before me, so I don't think it's that he bonded to me instantly or anything, but: you like her, she likes you, you can make her really happy, over time she's going to loving adore you because of it. Friendly cats kick rear end and it only gets better over time.

Moral: adopt that cat. She likes you. Let her in. She's asking so nicely! gently caress whoever else might think she's their cat; they're wrong.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My neighbors cat is now indoors only because he hurt himself getting into fights so badly he almost lost his ear, as it stands the ear just flops down now because of the severe nerve damage.

Before that he basically lived here, even now he still escapes only to visit me and I am the only person he listens to, he won't listen to his masters at all, I give him a call and he's fat my feet purring and demand belly rubs and head pats.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Alteisen posted:

I give him a call and he's fat my feet purring and demand belly rubs and head pats.

The butter is spreading...

Deloria
Sep 15, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope this is the right place. I thought it was inspirational tbh.

Theres a coty shelter in Sacramento where a local businesswoman has paid for all the adoptions from a local pet shelter
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article115124578.html

From the article:

Bobby Mann, a spokesman for the shelter, said more than 250 people were lined up when the shelter opened at noon, an unprecedented number for a weekday. By midafternoon, a sign was posted announcing: “All cats adopted today.”

Shelter officials hope Pacini-Hauch’s offer will help clear out the shelter’s kennels and cages.

Despite Wednesday’s cat clearance, there are still many more to adopt. Mann said about 650 animals are in foster care and will be brought into the shelter as space opens up.

“People are really taking this opportunity to take a pet home for the holidays,” he said.

The pets are being offered for adoption free of charge, but “it’s not a drive-through service,” Mann said.

People seeking to adopt pets meet with shelter volunteers who counsel them on the responsibility and cost of pet ownership and try to match the pet with the prospective owner’s lifestyle.

Before they go to new homes, the animals are spayed or neutered and inoculated against common diseases. They also get a pet tag and a city license, Mann said.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

The butter is spreading...

He's actually gotten super fat since he's been indoors. :v:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

MadSparkle posted:

She makes a beeline for the bed and starts making biscuits on the comforter as soon as I let her in. Follows me around for food. Plays with twine when we drag it across the floor. watches me type.

Grats on your new cat, if it weren't obvious already. You have been chosen. Name ideas? How about "Tiger Uppercut"?

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Grats on your new cat, if it weren't obvious already. You have been chosen. Name ideas? How about "Tiger Uppercut"?

"Moon Unit"

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

Chili posted:

How's your little one coming along?

Sorry it's over a month late but I'm going through the thread trying to get caught up. She's doing great. I've been meaning to post an update on her but I've been working 60 to 70 hours a week every week and have just been to tired when I'm home.

Anyway ill try and post a better update this weekend but I just want to say that Farrah is growing and is a healthy as can be. She's been haveing regular vet visits and is starting to get her kitten boosters.

Here's a picture of her from a few days before Halloween. She's gained well over a pound since then and is up to over 2 and a half pounds now!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whoa, she's almost a real cat now. Awesome!

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Hello again friends of animals, do y'all remember Zenni? Well, it looks like she's home! The lady who rescued her decided to keep her, of course. Apparently she spins like a top when you brush her :3: (which I didn't notice as I was brushing her in a tub). Still sad I couldn't keep her myself, she's a goddamned treasure.

Look at this beautiful little girl, waiting for some chicken with her new brother:

A Good, Good Dogge...finally home.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Ha, she seems a bit too dainty or something, she's got these tiny front paws which kinda contrast her wideness, and this tiny mouth....

My lovely phone has a cracked screen and won't let me upload pics so I will actually have to use a camera, which I will promptly do tomorrow.

She's currently snoozing next to me in bed as I work.

Thanks again for the help, guys!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Did someone already suggest Mewnit

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Gorgar posted:

I used to live out in the country, and a cat came and adopted me in a similar way. I'd feed him on the porch, he'd purr his rear end off and eat food, but I didn't take him in right away because I wasn't sure if he was somebody's cat or if mine would tolerate him. As it got cold out, I decided if he was anybody else's cat, they weren't very good at it, and mine would probably learn to deal. I took him in and I think he lived with me for about 14 years. He was very much my cat, and while I've had and still have some great ones, he was The Best Goddamn Cat Ever.

Proof:

Also, on slut cats: I currently have one that the shelter called an attention whore, and it's ridiculous how happy he gets when I pet him. He was friendly to other people before me, so I don't think it's that he bonded to me instantly or anything, but: you like her, she likes you, you can make her really happy, over time she's going to loving adore you because of it. Friendly cats kick rear end and it only gets better over time.

Moral: adopt that cat. She likes you. Let her in. She's asking so nicely! gently caress whoever else might think she's their cat; they're wrong.

Man, that is the best story... and that face has nothing but love :3:

Yeah, this cat definitely ...gets around. Our neighbor was saying that she was also trying to get into his house too. I think she might not be used to being an outdoor cat maybe, because she bolts when she's outside and hears sudden noise. But then she comes back 5 mins later. So I'm not sure. Either way, she's here now. I've shown her the litterbox, placed her in it, and she has no excuses for not being able to use it.
Will report back with pics when I can.

Edit: I like Moon Unit but I'm not sure what's going to stick now, I've gone through 4 names with one of my other cats before a name stuck.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 18, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

MadSparkle posted:

She's currently snoozing next to me in bed as I work.

Congratulations on your new cat! Sounds like she's very happy already.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

porkswordonboard posted:

Hello again friends of animals, do y'all remember Zenni? Well, it looks like she's home! The lady who rescued her decided to keep her, of course. Apparently she spins like a top when you brush her :3: (which I didn't notice as I was brushing her in a tub). Still sad I couldn't keep her myself, she's a goddamned treasure.

Look at this beautiful little girl, waiting for some chicken with her new brother:

A Good, Good Dogge...finally home.

p sure that's just a funny looking cat. we'll need more pictures to decide :kimchi:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And another stray I cared for passes on in my property, its an odd thing, I can't tell if people leave them here or the animal simply knows but I've had so many cats show up here in desperate need of help or medical attention which many times I had to provide myself, from cleaning a horrific burn, to ripping dead skin off to cutting a rotting tail and having to cauterize the stub left, this last one had a lot of mouth issues so I fed him soft stuff and watered down dry, he seemed to like it and gained quite a bit of weight.

There's never any foul play with these animals, is as if their journey and mine simply comes to an end.

I don't mind but it does break my heart, I've shed tears for all these animals that have come and gone regardless of how little or much time they spent with me.

Its funny, I start to think I should start to foster again and these needy little kitties pop up, maybe a greater power is trying to tell me something.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Cats are social animals, and when they're hurt or scared, they want to see other cats they know and trust. These cats remembered you, and when they were hurt, they remembered that you helped them before.

Unfortunately, sometimes it really is the end. Just know that at the end, they were thinking of you. You made a difference in their lives while they were alive. You're a good person, Alteisen, and the cats know.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

^ Doubling down. Alteisen, you are good people. Keep rocking it 'cause you clearly care and these poor kitties know it. You're doing a wonderful thing helping them the way you do. Have you considered building a small shelter on your property for them to hang out in when the weather is bad, and for safety? There's some great guides online and this might limit the dangers of simple exposure and help keep these little dudes healthier, longer. I might be inventing this, but your area is pretty high-kill, right?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a small kennel on a corner of my house, furthest away from the streets and elements when it gets bad, if I'm not boarding one of these needy kitties I usually leave it open with food and stuff, seen a number of kitties eat or just hide in there when the weather turns bad or there's loud stuff going on.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

I have a small kennel on a corner of my house, furthest away from the streets and elements when it gets bad, if I'm not boarding one of these needy kitties I usually leave it open with food and stuff, seen a number of kitties eat or just hide in there when the weather turns bad or there's loud stuff going on.

Yeah, so in case any of you are new to the thread, Alteisen is our resident hero.

I'm actually thinking about assembling some makeshift cat shelters for the winter myself. I found a guide online and it doesn't look terribly difficult.

Also, it's Sunday and you all know what that means!!!!

:woop: Caption Time! :woop:

So tell me, fine goons, what exactly is going...

here?

Looks a lot nicer if you don't include the rest of this post in yours btw.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Chili posted:

:woop: Caption Time! :woop:

here?

Looks like you're not feeding Butterscotch here, for one. :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You can really tell how much he's slimmed down! His belly flaps are actually kinda cute. Buttery fella.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Please, I'm no hero, I won't say that anyone else would do the same but I feel I owe it to animals, pets in general have saved my life more times than I can count, from the lowest points of my depression as a kid to my lowest points as an adult, kitties and one dog where there to help me so I feel I owe it to them.

And yea Butter looks incredible, he's slimmed down so much.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Chili posted:

here?

A single drop of water fell on Butterscotch's head

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
You can really see how much weight he's lost at that angle. Goodkitty :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

David Attenborough: "The male seahorse Butterscotch is known to carry up to 1500 eggs in the pouch on his belly. After a month, the young are born, live, and will being meowing for treats, much like their father, within an hour of taking their first steps."