Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
In the modern age of cellphone culture where everyone has an audio/video recording device in their pocket I find the whole story hard to believe and telling me something happened with no evidence is just bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

je1 healthcare posted:

I really don't doubt most of these stories of oblivious IT workers saying oblivious things, but I attribute it more to aspergers than being white or any "-ism"

I'm shocked that this didn't make it into the article, but "bad employee gets fired" probably doesn't make for a good headline.

quote:

You can read Lamont’s full story on Medium.

Medium posted:

On February 14, 2014, some of us from the New York office took the Dubliners out for drinks. We met up with The Guy, as well as some other coworkers, and hopped from a bar in SoHo to a bar in the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

I had too many drinks and I felt sick. I went to the bathroom, feeling terrible because I was drunk–something I hated because it meant that I wasn’t in control. On my way out, I saw The Guy hugging a Dublin Woman, about to kiss her. Horrified, I ran past them, went upstairs, and put my head down on the table. A few moments later, The Guy ran after me and touched my arm.

“Amélie, you’re drunk, let me get you a cab.”

I told him to get away from me, but he insisted on trying to “help me”. Frustrated and angry, I got up and slapped him. “Don’t loving touch me, you pig,” I cried.

Medium posted:

The next day, I got invited by the Customer Care Henchmanager and HR Woman to a café around the corner from the office. My heart was pounding.
At the café, they interrogated me about Friday night, the slap, and my relationship with The Guy.

I told a half-truth–that I slapped The Guy because I was drunk and frustrated with our friendship. He was recently promoted to Developer Evangelist and I wanted to protect him.

HR Woman told me that they were going to do an investigation over the week and get back to me. She told me that I should go home. I asked if I could gather my belongings from my desk. She and Customer Care Henchmananger told me that I could not. They turned off my work email and company access while they conducted the “investigation.”

Medium posted:

Two days later, I met with HR Woman and the VP of People again. The investigation was complete and they decided to terminate me. [...] After the meeting, I texted The Guy to let him know that I got fired. No response.

source -- this bitch was a trainwreck from start to finish (highlights include everything about her fake relationship with the guy she assaulted and her continued insistence upon ignoring every red flag she came across)

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

In the modern age of cellphone culture where everyone has an audio/video recording device in their pocket I find the whole story hard to believe and telling me something happened with no evidence is just bullshit.

Uh okay - what if I were to tell you that this happened: there's a guy and he's got cell phones pointed at him 24/7. It's been this way all his life and nobody really knows why. It's pretty much the norm for this guy. Except one day, suddenly, a thing happens and for a whole minute, nobody has their cell phone pointed at him (or any other recording device). To this man, this is definitely something out of the ordinary, an event and a story he will be telling people. But by your logic the very core circumstances that brought about this extremely special and rare event for the man, would be exactly what would cause you to disqualify/reject the man when he claims that it took place?

e: or like what if there's a guy and he's always wearing a frozen turd in a gold chain around his neck and so is everyoen else; so by your logic, the day that he isn't wearing the frozen turd in the gold chain around his neck - for the first time in his life - you wouldn't trust his claim that he wasn't wearing it, because he's living in the modern age of frozen turd around the neck culture where everyone has a frozen turd around their neck????

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

a starwar betamax posted:

Whoa I can't believe someone commented on another person's skin shade in a jocular way between friends! Goodness gracious! What is nexxt??? Lynchings in the parking lot?

lovely workers who can't wait until the next paycheck will jump on any opportunity to become the next adria

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

lovely workers who can't wait until the next paycheck will jump on any opportunity to become the next adria

*Me, a good worker, humbly raising my hand and shaking my head no*: that's alright boss. I can wait til the next paycheck.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

im gaye posted:

people do talk like that, though

you can come to kelso, wa and experience it firsthand if you like

on the flip side, lol at this fluff

Even the response by the black chick made little sense!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Can you guys believe Debbie? She couldn't even wait until the next paycheck.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Smoking_Dragon posted:

This never happened.

And that chair's name....was albert Einstein

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Minimalist Program posted:

But one of her bosses basically called her a chair, which to a black person is the worst thing you can do, given their cultural and biological fear of chairs.

Heh yeah good post I'm sure that's the entirety of what happened to her and not one example of techpeople being loving weird.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Smoking_Dragon posted:

ya i know right? she should be all like "wat u talking bout cracka?!"

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

cool and good posted:

Heh yeah good post I'm sure that's the entirety of what happened to her and not one example of techpeople being loving weird.

Thank you for finding my post good, and for commenting on it to that effect.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Smoking_Dragon posted:

no she really is brown!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
It would be cool to call up that woman and offer her like, a position as the chair of physics at MIT.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
what ever happened to good old fashioned macro aggressions?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Uh okay - what if I were to tell you that this happened: there's a guy and he's got cell phones pointed at him 24/7. It's been this way all his life and nobody really knows why. It's pretty much the norm for this guy. Except one day, suddenly, a thing happens and for a whole minute, nobody has their cell phone pointed at him (or any other recording device). To this man, this is definitely something out of the ordinary, an event and a story he will be telling people. But by your logic the very core circumstances that brought about this extremely special and rare event for the man, would be exactly what would cause you to disqualify/reject the man when he claims that it took place?

e: or like what if there's a guy and he's always wearing a frozen turd in a gold chain around his neck and so is everyoen else; so by your logic, the day that he isn't wearing the frozen turd in the gold chain around his neck - for the first time in his life - you wouldn't trust his claim that he wasn't wearing it, because he's living in the modern age of frozen turd around the neck culture where everyone has a frozen turd around their neck????

That's a whole lot of bullshit words that don't make any sense.

Every time a cop shoots someone there are cellphone videos of it everywhere within an hour. If I'm an employee and some poo poo is going down that's going to be a he-said-she-said, you're an idiot for not recording some evidence. An after the fact account like this with nothing more than anecdotal evidence told from a single side, filled with bizarre choices and situations and the only punchline is comic level racism, it doesn't sit well with my bullshit detector and I'll call it as such.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

It would be cool to call up that woman and offer her like, a position as the chair of physics at MIT.

first chair at philharmonic

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

im gaye posted:

first chair at philharmonic

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Who let this negro in here? HAHA Just kidding shaniqua, I owe you a watermelon.

Anyways lets get down to tech biz gang we got an agile SCRUM meeting at two and we all need to practice our buzzwords.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

That's a whole lot of bullshit words that don't make any sense.

Every time a cop shoots someone there are cellphone videos of it everywhere within an hour. If I'm an employee and some poo poo is going down that's going to be a he-said-she-said, you're an idiot for not recording some evidence. An after the fact account like this with nothing more than anecdotal evidence told from a single side, filled with bizarre choices and situations and the only punchline is comic level racism, it doesn't sit well with my bullshit detector and I'll call it as such.

:goonsay:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

RedMage129 posted:

White people. Bad.

hosed up but true

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Just being real with you.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Medium posted:

Out of fear and frustration, I conceded. I worked the late night shifts, and came in bright and early, only operating on about 5 hours of sleep. This didn’t last long. I soon ended up in an emergency walk-in clinic due to sleep deprivation.

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Sleep Deprivation Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Get Some Sleep Like Nigga Close Your Eyes Haha

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
We made another vodka joke at the expense of one of our Russian employees in a meeting the other day. He laughed it off but now I'm worried.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Kind of like that motto "Do it badly so you are never asked to do anything again"... "Be so racist that no one wants to speak to you". That's how I operate, I tell ya hwat.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I made a St Patricks day joke to an irish guy once and he got all mad. He didn't do anything about it though which sucked.

It would have been funny as hell to see him go to my crazy black lady boss and complain about my leprechaun joke being racist.

Fuckin drunks lmao

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
you could say he got IRAte

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I drank multiple Irish Car Bomb's last night. It was a good night.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

ya i know right? she should be all like "wat u talking bout cracka?!"

Coworker: You so black you make asphalt look grey!
Me: *whips paint swatch I always carry around in my back pocket and holds it up to my arm* Actually as you can see my skin is clearly chocolate mocha!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
*very black woman, seductively leaning against the boss' desk*: Come in, sir, and.... *whips out hair*, take a chair.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
alternate joke over same formula: a white man is called into HR and sent to a sexual harassment course and he goes "WHAT? They told me to take a chair!" in a seinfeld like voice (jewishly).

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

reallivedinosaur posted:

you could say he got IRAte

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

im gaye posted:

people do talk like that, though

you can come to kelso, wa and experience it firsthand if you like

on the flip side, lol at this fluff

jesus christ, I wouldn't wish going to kelso on anyone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wait, so in her version of the bar story she slapped the guy because she thought he was gonna hook up with somebody and then he stopped because he was concerned for her well-being and wanted to call her a cab? yeah he totally had THAT coming

the chair thing was super weird though, that lady was a real techbro i tells ya

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

YeahTubaMike posted:

"Amélie, you’re drunk, let me get you a cab.” 

I told him to get away from me, but he insisted on trying to “help me”. Frustrated and angry, I got up and slapped him. “Don’t loving touch me, you pig,” I cried.

Someone give this woman a Nobel Peace prize

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
if this is what racism is today id say we've gone pretty far

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yet another reason never to work in tech

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For context, were she and the guy she slapped an item and she was mad at him for cheating or was it something inscrutable and Tumblry

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
cheating, but with her headmate

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
haha wait what she slapped him for NOT kissing her ??? This story is getting crazier by the minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I like that "dismissive" is the new "triggered". Now anytime someone doesn't earnestly and completely believe and act on your every word you are the victim of a dismissive culture perpetuated by THE PATRIARCHY.

• Locked thread