Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I realised as I said it that I wasn't sure if the damage upgrade for the Grenade Launcher extended to the mines and similarly the trap bolts. The second Bouncer I take on at the end actually hits a trap bold and rears back before the mines iirc. The reason I didn't use them much was because in the next area I set up four but a Bouncers dash went through every single one without stopping and killed me instantly. They still take damage but I never expected trap bolts to do as much as they do in that video.

I've only played Burial at Sea 1 once which is terrible of me and I haven't even played the second part. I did enjoy the first part a lot though. I ordered a HD monitor today so hooray for playing Infinite and the update of Bioshock 2 on it.

Here is the updated version of this weeks video with better sound quality. I think what happened in the last one is that I wanted to increase the volume of Cohen's theme at a certain point but made everything that loud by mistake. I checked this one and I seem to have done it correctly. The video is still uploading for a few hours so hopefully the link will go live then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGxyebnfs3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21PilU1ymdQ

e: and :ortiz: I went back for the early Bouncer and even tried to find the corpse of the one that is killed when you meet Tenenbaum but the body is gone.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Well Burial at Sea part 2 is the part everyone hates, but who knows you might love it. I'm tepid on the whole controversy.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or has this updated video been processing for quite a while now? Has the curse of Ayn Rand come upon this LP of a game criticizing her ideology?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's still uploading because I am a huge idiot, just before I went to bed I deleted the source video without thinking. I woke up around 8:30am and decided to check the progress before going back to bed and saw the upload had failed. I restarted the upload around 9am and it is currently on 53% so it should be up in around five hours. God drat I'm so dumb sometimes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I mention it at the start of the video but i'll explain it here too just in case I wasn't super clear. Sweet G is kind of ill but it kinds of comes and goes which has been impacting our schedule quite a bit. Though the solo videos are fun I don't want to use them as a longterm solution for the main game videos, today's video and the next two are going to focus on the challenge rooms DLC and were always intended to be solo. In the meantime I'm going to edit all the raw footage so that when Sweet G is back on his feet (hardy har) we can spend a weekend and record the remainder of the LP over a day or two. So there'll be a midseason break after the DLC videos unfortunately but I figured I'd explain things so people don't think I have lost interest or ditched this LP!

I also decided to start buying artbooks for future games so that I can put more effort into the parts of games that don't have much new gameplay/narrative to talk about, for the original Bioshock only an online PDF exists. Later on tonight I'll put together the first post with some 「BEHIND THE SCENES」 concept art and production notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h86gSpL9558

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Never actually seen any of the challenge rooms for the first game. I just assumed they were a throwaway DLC, since no one ever spoke about them, but that was actually really involved. How many is there in total?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Never actually seen any of the challenge rooms for the first game. I just assumed they were a throwaway DLC, since no one ever spoke about them, but that was actually really involved. How many is there in total?

There are three of them altogether though only the first two are puzzle rooms and the third is a combat arena thing. The second puzzle room is definitely the harder one to work out and is probably a bit more interesting over all, I'm getting used to it at the minute and will record it over the weekend. I haven't looked at the battle arena yet but it seems like they put a lot of effort into it too based on what I've read and how much I enjoyed the first two rooms. I spent tonight recording the trick to instantly kill Big Daddies as well as one or two other fun things so I'll make them a bonus on the next challenge room video. The trick even works on Elite Level Big Daddys on Survivor.

Splicers (read: sploicer) in the game are obviously named after all the gene splicing they did that sent them insane but originally they were designed to look far more primordial and much less like actual humans. They looked a lot more like System Shock 2 enemies originally so I guess it's good they changed them up a bit but it's a shame some of the more out there designs didn't make it. I would have been cool to see them lurking out in the ocean similar to when you see an occasional Rosie doing repairs outside.

Initially they were called Aggressors which is such a loving shithouse name but on the other hand it probably would send better in that terrible Oirish accent so who knows. The splicers we know and love are just unhinged people wearing masquerade masks or with weird skin masks. The skin masks are supposedly based off early plastic surgery done on soldiers after the war.

This picture wasn't in the artbook and I found it on the Bishock wiki, a closeup sketch of some concept faces.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, one of the more alien designs would have been great as a boss section. And was vaguely explored for Bioshock 2. Unfortunately a not good boss.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The second game is full of "Oh wow this could be neat... oh god no why did you do it like that?". The artbook for this game is pretty poor over all, there are almost no production notes at all and there seems to be very little concept art and design details. The artbook for the next game we plan on doing arrived yesterday and it is so information and drawing dense :allears:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I will forever be salty about the original concept for Bioshock never making it past the design stages. Then again, Bioshock as a whole is What Could Have Been: The Series. If there's not at least one discarded design document that makes you wistful and angry, I envy you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm going through it now, never realised it was available. I'll definitely do an effort post about it soon enough though feel free if you want to make one yourself! I think it's good to get as many people in the thread discussing things as possible!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The short version (I can maybe elaborate more on things once Emmy does his post) is that the concept for Bioshock was 'how can we cram in enough body horror to make David (Videodrome, The Fly) Cronenberg feel ill'. That right there should tell you all you need to know about the original mission statement. There was also stuff involving you being a cult deprogrammer, a military bunker that was home to inhuman experiments, but for me at least, the big draw was the biological nastiness. The original idea went through lots of iterations, nothing unusual for any game, but for a long time, the idea seemed to be to take the cyborgs and The Many from System Shock 2 and, in essence, go further. For example, the vending machines, turrets, etc. were still in there, but they were essentially a living being crammed in a box being fed drugs in order to make them do things, rather than scream in horror and beg for death. The Pipemania hacking minigame was present, but you were trying to pipe in more drugs to make get the machine high and thus, make it more compliant.

You also had upgrades, like the plasmids and tonics, but they had a lasting physical effect on your character, making them more warped and mutated as the game progressed. The theme at the time seemed to be one of 'how much of your humanity are you willing to throw away in order to survive'. Presumably this would've led to branching paths, alternate endings and the like. Part of this was kept for the final game, with the Sploicers showing the long-term effects of ADAM abuse, and most of the plasmids, like BEES and the like doing horrible things to your hands, but, again, it was originally intended to go so much further.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Wasn't it going to involve Nazi in some capacity?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

At various points, yeah. At one point, you were being sent in to retrieve someone who was part of a cult, and the enemies were part of the cult's secret experiments. At another, you were investigating a secret Nazi bunker in Argentina or thereabouts, and it was their mutant freaks you were fighting off instead. In that scenario, the bunker would be invaded by another military faction (I think it was the Russians, in this case) who would turn the game into a three-way war. That idea actually made it through several revisions before being cut, as the Soviet army was intended to invade Rapture midway through. I don't know for certain why it was cut, but I'd assume it's because it would complicate the storyline (and once we get through Fort Frolic, the story we have gets plenty complex as it is).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, Bioshock was essentially supposed to be this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I will forever be salty about the original concept for Bioshock never making it past the design stages. Then again, Bioshock as a whole is What Could Have Been: The Series. If there's not at least one discarded design document that makes you wistful and angry, I envy you.

the biggest problem i had with bioshock 2 splicers models is they looked almost too much cartoonish artstyle. sure the mutations looked good, but they kinda just looked weird, especially the doctor and the security guard models. after the realistic look that the Bioshock 1 splicers had, it just felt off.

it feels less body horror and more meh kinda creepy.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

At various points, yeah. At one point, you were being sent in to retrieve someone who was part of a cult, and the enemies were part of the cult's secret experiments. At another, you were investigating a secret Nazi bunker in Argentina or thereabouts, and it was their mutant freaks you were fighting off instead. In that scenario, the bunker would be invaded by another military faction (I think it was the Russians, in this case) who would turn the game into a three-way war. That idea actually made it through several revisions before being cut, as the Soviet army was intended to invade Rapture midway through. I don't know for certain why it was cut, but I'd assume it's because it would complicate the storyline (and once we get through Fort Frolic, the story we have gets plenty complex as it is).

this. it sounded like it could of ended up like infinite, where a ton of different plotlines are kinda crapped out then stitched together with varying degrees of success. ideas like the vox are kept, but dumbed down or changed to a retarded degree then shoehorned in an already full storyline. bioshock is relatively simple story with a complex plot/backround lore/side stories around it and it worked that way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the biggest problem i had with bioshock 2 splicers models is they looked almost too much cartoonish artstyle. sure the mutations looked good, but they kinda just looked weird, especially the doctor and the security guard models. after the realistic look that the Bioshock 1 splicers had, it just felt off.

I dunno, I remember seeing the woman splicer model who's foot had been altered to look like a high-heel shoe and I was freaked the gently caress out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Samovar posted:

I dunno, I remember seeing the woman splicer model who's foot had been altered to look like a high-heel shoe and I was freaked the gently caress out.

yeah. not all of them are bad. the female splicers/crawler/brutes are pretty good looking.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh hey, recently found this LP after I started replaying the game thanks to the remaster re-release and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Glad to hear you haven't given up on this LP, I love you guys' banter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Oh hey, recently found this LP after I started replaying the game thanks to the remaster re-release and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Glad to hear you haven't given up on this LP, I love you guys' banter.

yeah. the remaster is pretty great, and basically makes the game look like its 3 years old rather then almost 10. The gameplay still is solid. though it has some issues pacing espcialy near the end. plus its 1080 p and 60fps and it feels like a dream.

Infinite looks great and once you fix the controls plays great too. its a pc port but it looks great.

2 is weird because it feels like its ok High end PC port and that's it, it hasn't aged well. the story while ok hasnt aged well. the villian while extremely hateable; isnt as deep or interesting as i remembered and the combat/gameplay feels clunky as gently caress. and as a big daddy you feel weak and brittle even with tons of upgrades and tonics. the only good part is minervas den and even that suffers from the gameplay.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/we-were-all-miserable-inside-bioshock-video-game-franchise-w439921 also a great inteview with levine.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 21, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I was playing the remasters earlier and was like 'well, it kinda looks prettier I guess? Is that it?'. I got them for free on Steam, so complaining seems churlish, but I never really felt Bioshock was a series in need of higher quality textures and more polygons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I was playing the remasters earlier and was like 'well, it kinda looks prettier I guess? Is that it?'. I got them for free on Steam, so complaining seems churlish, but I never really felt Bioshock was a series in need of higher quality textures and more polygons.

pretty much. 1 is definatly more polished up and prettyer though they dont fix some pet peeves like Atlas model still being a Waders splicer model.

2 is still rough even though its polished too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thank you for the kind words, Genocyber! I have a big backlog of edited videos that just need commentary as planned. Sweet G is back in university after his internship ended so we're on the same campus again and it'll be easier to organise recordings. Typical that I started this L.P. just before the remasters dropped and went on a break when they released. I have them free on Steam but they're to big to download at home and my postgrad lab PC is on Windows 7 which is too old an OS to download them.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Add me to the Gift Horse Lookers club. Bioshock crashes inexplicably when I enter the same (non-essential, thank god) room in an area not seen yet. It also seems that the difficulty resets down to medium sometimes upon crashes. Because what Bioshock really needed was the Bioshock 2 difficulty glitch, I guess?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. 1 is definatly more polished up and prettyer though they dont fix some pet peeves like Atlas model still being a Waders splicer model.

2 is still rough even though its polished too.

It is ridiculous how lazy they were for NPC models in the original and kind of annoying that they didn't take this chance to fix it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

It is ridiculous how lazy they were for NPC models in the original and kind of annoying that they didn't take this chance to fix it.

this. though the splicer models have been tweeked. pigskins burns/plasmide mutations glow cooly now and the rest of them looks alot more polished. also ryan no longer looks like a sex doll.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ryan no longer looks like a sex doll.

If I hadn't gotten the game for free, I'd never purchase it now.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Typical that I started this L.P. just before the remasters dropped and went on a break when they released. I have them free on Steam but they're to big to download at home and my postgrad lab PC is on Windows 7 which is too old an OS to download them.

Eh? Unless you mean it's 32-bit Windows 7 or pre-SP1, you should be able to run them just fine. The system requirements for the remasters on Steam lists Windows 7 64-bit SP1 for both the minimum and recommended.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

KieranWalker posted:

Eh? Unless you mean it's 32-bit Windows 7 or pre-SP1, you should be able to run them just fine. The system requirements for the remasters on Steam lists Windows 7 64-bit SP1 for both the minimum and recommended.

They are lmao, the undergrads just got a Windies 10 image but postgrads ate slower to get out because they can't just make new profiles for research students like undergrads in case it wrecks something.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

They are lmao, the undergrads just got a Windies 10 image but postgrads ate slower to get out because they can't just make new profiles for research students like undergrads in case it wrecks something.

Oh, well, that sucks. Might be for the best anyway; from what I've read, the remaster of Bioshock is kind of a buggy mess right now anyway. Might not be too great for LPing with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Oh, well, that sucks. Might be for the best anyway; from what I've read, the remaster of Bioshock is kind of a buggy mess right now anyway. Might not be too great for LPing with.

Most of the issues are things carried over from the original port, though there are some new issues (resetting game options though that can be fixed by setting the appropriate .ini files to read only, and audio occasionally repeating).

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I just finished playing all 3 bioshock games in a row. Infinite wasn't as good as I remembered. 2 was better than I remembered. 1 is still the best.

I guess next I'll get to Minerva's Den and the Burial at Sea DLCs.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I replayed the first game and Infinite recently and they were both pretty great still to be quiet honest, Infinite's story problems are much more apparent than i thought though. I think both games are smarter than the usual fare but not nearly smart as they think but the gameplay and settings are really brilliant.

We'll be back on the 15th of October with two videos and not breaks until the end, hooray!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

EmmyOk posted:

I replayed the first game and Infinite recently and they were both pretty great still to be quiet honest, Infinite's story problems are much more apparent than i thought though. I think both games are smarter than the usual fare but not nearly smart as they think but the gameplay and settings are really brilliant.

We'll be back on the 15th of October with two videos and not breaks until the end, hooray!

The biggest problem with Infinite's story is they try to cram like 75% of it into the last 15 minutes of the game. And while the gunplay felt much smoother in Infinite, I found myself not using the vigors very much at all when I would use plasmids frequently in 1 and 2, which was a bit of a bummer.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Once I upgraded Shock Jockey, that was about it. I'd use the fire vigour every now and then, but it's not a cluster-bomb chain-stun, is it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I found I used a far bigger variety of Vigours than I did Plasmids because I had much more limited options with weapons but my experience definitely appears to be the minority one!

New videos are recorded and commentated and ready to go up. It takes about 12 hours to upload on my internet and I just had to kill an upload at 90% because of a mistake so I'll put the latest video up on Monday from work there it takes <2 minutes to upload! I think this episode is one of our best and we made a concerted effort to stay on topic!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Let me know if the title card explains things clearly enough! It's good to be back and we even stayed on topic and informative for large sections of the video, wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96nI6jDJ6Fs

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Worst way to die? I remember hearing about a form of Russian execution which involves having freezing water poured over you, then boiling water, until you die.

Edit: Don't see why Cobb was so upset about you killing his bodyguards. He set them on fire!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 17, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Good to see you guys back.

Eaten by insects is a pretty bad way to go, the Achaemenids had a pretty brutal variant of it, Scaphism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

Do you have a link to that fight you mentioned? Or any others, they sound great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Scaphism might actually beat out burning as the worst way to go tbh!

The legendary Meath/Mayo Brawl of 1996!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBnWAMf5DNQ

A compilation of some rowdiness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l31iOSrrHb0

If you want to see some "fair tackles" look for "GAA Big Hits" on YouTube

• Locked thread