Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I personally enjoyed the literal railroaded plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I genuinely liked the more straightforward plot of 2, retcons aside. I think everyone was expecting there to be a gigantic M. Night Shyamalan-style twist: the fact there really wasn't one wound up being a twist in itself. And the way that that wound up pissing people off is a wonderful thing in its own way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This week we look for some artisan plasmids and get a letter from a fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zanwysi5swA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7heU1XqpU4

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Believe you me, the French accent cannot be worse than this.

(See also worse British accent)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Actually the 'C' is silent so it'd be HAM-eleon. This is because Aristotle thought they were pigs and no one bothered to correct him for a few thousand years.

Maybe those pheromones that Ryan pumps around the air system to control splicers also cause people to exaggerate their accents? Is it any crazier than building an underwater free-market dystopia?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's about as bad as that accent to be honest. I didn't realise Overwatch was set in the same world as Deus Ex by the looks of things. Then again a French girl I spent a few nights with sounded pretty much as stereotypical as you'd expect so maybe they're not as bad as we think.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I remember getting my mind blown when I found out that 'ooh-la-la' is something that is genuinely said over there.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Samovar posted:

I remember getting my mind blown when I found out that 'ooh-la-la' is something that is genuinely said over there.

Then again, non-French people say it to mock the French, so maybe it came full circle and the French say it to make fun on non-French people who think they actually say it?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We talk a hell of a lot about bees and retail work in this episode, please share all your bee and retail work anecdotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HzVXvi2JSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2P7UOzUypA

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Also, I was meaning to say, the weird glowing symbols in the last (I think) video? They're just alchemical symbols, because the Saturnine are loving nuts and like doing weird pseudo-mystical poo poo.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So...did you not notice you got all seven enzymes around five minutes in?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I never got a spoon, wooden or otherwise, to the rear end. Just a hand and occasionally a belt.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

'Adam acts like a benign cancer, destroying native cells and replacing them with unstable stem versions'.

... I don't think Tenenbaum knows what cancer actually IS, guys.

Edit: That place you thought was going to be a trap IS a trap; once you pick up the tonic, doesn't a set of trap bolts go off behind you? I remember it being one of the least effective traps ever.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 14, 2016

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
My father keeps bees as a hobby, and I agree that the bee in the hair is probably one of the worst things to happen. I have curly hair that gets tangled rather easily, and one time the bee got stuck and stung me on the scalp - and then I had to dig around in my hair to pull out the stinger (since bees leave their stings in your skin).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also, I was meaning to say, the weird glowing symbols in the last (I think) video? They're just alchemical symbols, because the Saturnine are loving nuts and like doing weird pseudo-mystical poo poo.

I love DR. BEES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc

I realised I had the enzymes fairly early on but I wanted to fully explore the apiary because I suspected they'd have hidden something good in that room considering it forced you to rush through it. I thought I was proven right when I found the safe but then it turned out to just be more enzymes. I was wrong earlier about enzymes and distilled water, those are used in multiple non-story inventions. The apiary and distillery are the best place to pick them up so it worked out well in the long run.

A trap so ineffective that even though I was wary of it I still not managed to notice when it completely failed to hit me I suppose!

That bee story sounds quite painful! I'm imagining being stung on the scalp repeatedly makes you look like Dr. Neo Cortex or the big guy from Goonies. I've never seen the Goonies though so I might be misremembering that guy.

There won't be an update this week :saddowns: Me and the other guy usually record two episodes at a time because we do it after work than that and any more than that tends to lead to less good videos. The past two weeks he was in Amsterdam and then had an anniversary as well as some family things. In the meantime I'll get the first bonus video up this weekend though that'll be just me on commentary :toot:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Unfortunately I was unexpectedly busy at the weekend! However here is the next update where we discuss the finer points of breakfast food as well as take part in some cyber bullying and singing. There's one joke at the very end (the last thing I say) that I am unsure about so depending on thread reaction I will excise it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lMnzUA0tbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KL2tOsq88

Don't even think about clicking this before the video tells you to, buddy

We did commentary for two videos but ate hoping to two more tomorrow night so that we can put up two videos this week to make up for lost time. We were doing commentary fora third video last night when two minutes from the end...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You may have learned that they're not healthy for you but, uh, that's not how croissant is pronounced.

You know, my Italian work mate did point out that the best type of food to have for breakfast would be something small, but with high fat/sugar to jump start the body, like a slice of cake or a pan au chocolat.

Good vid, tho.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Terrible pronunciation is a hallmark of this LP! Though in my defense that's how everyone here pronounces croissant along with the refusal to correctly pronounce any word beginning with 'th' correctly. I once tried to pronounce my th sounds correctly but I just ended up pronouncing words like tissue as thissue.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

For the record (at least, it is how I was taught) it is more correctly pronounced 'croh-ah-son', with the 'ah' bit being very quick.

Still, nae danger anyways. Just so long as you don't pronounce valet as 'val-eh'.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Alternatively we could not care about the proper french pronunciation of croissant considering how quick the French government is to suppress other languages.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

EmmyOk posted:

Unfortunately I was unexpectedly busy at the weekend! However here is the next update where we discuss the finer points of breakfast food as well as take part in some cyber bullying and singing. There's one joke at the very end (the last thing I say) that I am unsure about so depending on thread reaction I will excise it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lMnzUA0tbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KL2tOsq88

Don't even think about clicking this before the video tells you to, buddy

We did commentary for two videos but ate hoping to two more tomorrow night so that we can put up two videos this week to make up for lost time. We were doing commentary fora third video last night when two minutes from the end...

sorry about computer. if it makes you feel better. the remasterd bioshocks are coming to pc/newgen september 13th. steam will update bioshock 1/2 to the remaster edition version if you own them already.

http://www.gamesradar.com/bioshock-the-collection-release-date-set-for-september-after-so-many-leaks/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Luckily it is not my main PC it's an old laptop I leave in the postgrad lab in university. Me and the other guy usually record when he is on his way home after work so I only record commentary on the laptop. That is great news about the updated versions because I literally bought them on Steam the other day for about ten euro and was devastated when I heard about the HD Collection afterwards. Really glad I'm getting the remasters then by the sounds of things!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Quite fittingly for Rapture's Theatre and Art district in this video we put on a performance of Julius Caesar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqOlqXydaQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQ91rDyl4I

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, they were never really RAISED by you, so there are no real Brutus figures to your Caesar.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I think Cohen has my favorite line in the whole series. He's just so detached from the insanity that's going on in the rest of Rapture and jerking off over his own madness.

"Aaaaaaaah. Hello, little moth."

I think that sums him up pretty well. You're not another person. You're just another insect for his collection of pretty things, something to amuse him as you flit about around the candle flame. I doubt they actually intended it but it seems very thematic in hindsight.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vicissitude posted:

I think Cohen has my favorite line in the whole series. He's just so detached from the insanity that's going on in the rest of Rapture and jerking off over his own madness.

I think that sums him up pretty well. You're not another person. You're just another insect for his collection of pretty things, something to amuse him as you flit about around the candle flame. I doubt they actually intended it but it seems very thematic in hindsight.

Well i mean he literally murders people (via ligature strangulation) and poses them plaster. and makes a art sculpture out of them with photos of his dead "disciples". Idk he is just so loving nuts, but he is one of my favorite villain characters in gaming.

though,,, I am kinda disapointed about how they portrayed him in the novel.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vicissitude posted:

Yeah it was a deep pull but it's how I assumed the Gloamglozer talked when he convinced Twig to walk off that cliff.

I'll have to go back and read the book transcripts Roro posted to remind myself how Cohen was portrayed in the book.

I know we've had a few gap weeks lately and I'm very sorry about that! It's nothing to do with lack of drive it's that I started a job while finishing off my masters and the other guy's summer internship in a big tech company is ramping up!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well done re. the job, chief.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The other guy hurt his leg and can't leave the house so I've recorded the next two episodes solo! If we get a chance to rerecord before next week we'll redo the second one but I'll probably still put up both versions. This first solo episode is a little dry because I'm not used to being by myself however I think the second one is a bit more lively. I take this opportunity to talk about the ADAM cost in the game as well some more technical details and even manage to stay on the topic of Bioshock for most of the video! Not our most thrilling update but a change of pace can be nice to :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF1SMzSqv5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-5fb1alQYc

Here is the breakdown of total ADAM and how much you need to spend if you are pursuing a All Tonics/Plasmids/Tracks trophy or achievement. Please note that saving Little Sisters is the only way to get certain Plasmids and Tonics therefore harvesting even one Little Sister will lock you out.

Total ADAM Available
---------------------------------------------------
Saving - 3080 ADAM + (Bonus Tonics/Plasmids)
Harvesting - 3360 ADAM

Must Buy Total Cost - 1800 ADAM
Free to Use ADAM - 1280 (Assuming Saving)

Must Buy Plasmids - 440 ADAM
Armoured Shell - 20 ADAM
Machine Buster - 20 ADAM
Machine Buster 2 - 50 ADAM
Human Inferno - 20 ADAM
Human Inferno 2 - 50 ADAM
Wrench Lurker 2 - 50 ADAM
Speedy Hacker 2 - 50 ADAM
Vending Expert - 20 ADAM
Vending Expert 2 - 50 ADAM
Hacking Expert 2 - 50 ADAM
EVE Link - 20 ADAM
EVE Saver - 20 ADAM

Must Buy Tracks - 1360 ADAM
Plasmid Tracks - 4 * 100 ADAM
Combat Tonic Tracks - 4 * 80 ADAM
Physical Tonic Tracks - 4 * 80 ADAM
Mechanical Tonic Tracks - 4 * 80 ADAM

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

How'd the leg break? Or is that not share-able?

Edit: That wee audio log in the tobacconists reminded me; one thing that is surprisingly cheap in Sweden is tobacco. You can get a pack of 5 cigars for around £5. Or rather, £5 before the European referendum - God knows what it costs now.

Edit edit: You know; Undertale did this pretty well - I would say a good game decision is to make the morally 'good' choice 'hard' gaming-wise. Saving all the little sisters resulting in max Adam means that there's less of an impetus to make that decision.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 19, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'd say you do a pretty good job of going off topic all by yourself.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You can actually glitch in a couple of extra Little Sisters, which you can harvest almost guilt-free (other than the fact you're a monster, I mean). You still get the bonuses for saving all the others and IIRC it doesn't affect your ending either, since they don't strictly 'exist' in the game.

Samovar posted:

Edit edit: You know; Undertale did this pretty well - I would say a good game decision is to make the morally 'good' choice 'hard' gaming-wise. Saving all the little sisters resulting in max Adam means that there's less of an impetus to make that decision.

There's really no reason to go on a harvesting spree. You get a minor boost to begin with, which makes the start of the game easier, but lose out in the long run. I know one person who harvests all the time, every time, but he's a dipshit who thinks being an rear end in a top hat in games makes him cooler than us goodie-goodies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

White Coke posted:

I'd say you do a pretty good job of going off topic all by yourself.

Those goddamn ugly guns and Duchovny!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I suppose you could make a thematic link between the guns growing more hideous as they become more upgraded and the terrible physical and mental toll that using plasmids take on their users, that in order to become more powerful in Rapture you have to do away with the pretty art-deco exterior in order to survive, but at the end of the day an ugly gun is an ugly gun.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Audio Diary update could be a day or so late this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCB1DZ4KFg

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it just me, or is the audio balance really bad in this episode? Found it hard to make you out over the game a lot of the time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I'll have to take a look at it I think. Fairly certain I know exactly what went wrong. I'm home for the next few weeks p much so uploads take 12 hours or so as opposed to <1 minute at work and I didn't realise till it was up. It should be swapped out by tomorrow.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
In Burial at Sea part 1 Bouncers can fire their drills to move around. The in game explanation is that the chemical used to fire the drills was making them crazy. Or it was to expensive. Anyway you're not wrong you just misremembered which game has Bouncers that can shoot at you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Trap Bolts do deal decent damage and can work for dealing with Bouncers. Google was quick to find a convenient demonstration video, in fact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JSLM7wcMcU

Though as you can see, Survivor Bouncers just have so much health that it's questionably efficient, assuming the Bouncers don't just ignore them to begin with. :v:

Edit: Though it's impossible to tell offhand how researched Bouncers are in that video and I couldn't find a clear answer on whether or not the Crossbow damage upgrade applies to trap bolts. They're probably much better once you have all the bonuses.

On the subject of Bouncer research, you also have the option of backtracking all the way to Medical Pavilion to grab easy research credit, though obviously that has to happen either before or after Fort Frolic.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know, I don't think I destroyed a single camera or turret.

• Locked thread