Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Best Nonrequired Reading is a great series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol: at the typography on the Chandlers.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
We finally got all this poo poo out of boxes and onto shelves. I like books but I like them less every time I have to move them all. I like how all the "real literature" has very small typography so you can't see it very well but all the lovely airport fiction and fantasy novels are written in huge embarrassing letters.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: at the typography on the Chandlers.

Yeah dude, it's out of control.

Stories are great though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like you're too young to own a Megadeth compact disc.
possibly, but i love physical formats of music, so it's okay

also i own three Megadeth compact discs, thank you

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

I recommend the jack chick book and the duck book.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That's mine.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's mine.

can't really recognize any of the books but this is probably the classiest shelf posted

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Kindle so...
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/23872535?shelf=read
:D

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

thathonkey posted:

can't really recognize any of the books but this is probably the classiest shelf posted

Thanks. I wish I could take credit but the previous owner built it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think V is pretty good, but the Crying, despite being short, never left much of an impression on me. Gravity's Rainbow might be the Infinite Jest of an older generation.

V, Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, and Against the day are all amazing 10/10 masterpieces and Crying and the rest of the stuff he's written... really isn't.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's mine.

Whose flag?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's mine.

C&H buddy 4 Life! :hfive:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Applewhite posted:

Whose flag?

Not a casket flag actually. There's 2 flags in that case. One was flown over the American hq in Iraq by my brother, the other was flown in an rc135 over Afghanistan by my friend.

I took some closer pictures of the shelves that I'll post tomorrow. If I post them from my phone they'll be huge.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is so impossibly full of poo poo

you are wrong, but i'll take it under consideration.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

AFewBricksShy posted:

Thanks. I wish I could take credit but the previous owner built it.

aah thats better

its like a magic seeing eye pic

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

More like Boringes :colbert:

Legit though I think his style of fiction feels empty with his inability to create and portray realistic and interesting people no matter how imaginative his premises may be. Its literature entirely of the mind without any heart.

if you want "realistic and interesting people" borges is not where to turn. that isn't his project. there is more to heart than psychology.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

V, Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, and Against the day are all amazing 10/10 masterpieces and Crying and the rest of the stuff he's written... really isn't.

crying should be erased. pynchon hates it. it's a self parody in the worst way.

vineland is one of the most excruciating, beautiful, and accurate books on recent america imaginable. if you wanna understand what's happening today, that book will tell you.

i liked bleeding edge but it wasn't amazing. it retains his incredible ability to evoke a total social atmosphere... new york just before 9/11. wow.

haven't read against the day or inherent vice.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

thathonkey posted:

Classy? Bookshelves used to store anything but books looks super tacky imo.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

opus111 posted:

Classy? Bookshelves used to store anything but books looks super tacky imo.

Um ok i while dont 100% endorse your opinion i was actually talking about the quality and apparent craftsmanship of the shelves themselves not their contents

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

nomadologique posted:

crying should be erased. pynchon hates it. it's a self parody in the worst way.

vineland is one of the most excruciating, beautiful, and accurate books on recent america imaginable. if you wanna understand what's happening today, that book will tell you.

i liked bleeding edge but it wasn't amazing. it retains his incredible ability to evoke a total social atmosphere... new york just before 9/11. wow.

haven't read against the day or inherent vice.

I actually haven't read Vineland yet, it's the last book of his I haven't read.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The only book you need right there.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Excuse me, that is technically a book sill.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

nomadologique posted:

if you want "realistic and interesting people" borges is not where to turn.

If you want good books Borges is not for you - nomadologique, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Only children prefer realistic and interesting characters over a good plot and/or interesting ideas.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol. at least you're sticking to your guns. i can respect that you only like one thing from books.

me, for movies: i really only like fast cars and explosions. literature all day, but can't stand art films.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

nomadologique posted:

lol. at least you're sticking to your guns. i can respect that you only like one thing from books.

me, for movies: i really only like fast cars and explosions. literature all day, but can't stand art films.

I mean, I can respect Borges as literature it's just profoundly outside the scope of my enjoyment. Something like The Aleph or Book of Sand is certainly philosophically interesting and imaginative, but put it against something like Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and it just doesn't compete.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Science Book shelf: (missing Bad Astronomy)

Comics:

Random Fiction

Reference/random stuff

Short Stories

Autobiographies/random stuff

Fantasy/Scifi series

Self Help/My wife apparently really liked chicken soup books, and I have anger issues, and everyone has a bible apparently.

The sun was hitting the classics/stuff my kids will have to read in high school shelf so I'll get a picture of that later.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 6, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AFewBricksShy posted:

Autobiographies

I didn't know If Chins Could Kill was a real book, I thought it was just a joke in the foreword of Danger Girl. Is it any good?

Also, was Supreme Power volume 2 worth it? I bought and read volume one and was like "ehhh."

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Applewhite posted:

I didn't know If Chins Could Kill was a real book, I thought it was just a joke in the foreword of Danger Girl. Is it any good?

Also, was Supreme Power volume 2 worth it? I bought and read volume one and was like "ehhh."

If chins could kill is very good (much better than Make Love). It's the story of how he came up and making the Evil Dead movies, as well as his thoughts on being "that guy" in Hollywood.

I haven't read Supreme Power in a while, but I liked the series. If you didn't like the first volume I'd say it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Autobiographies/random stuff

any collection of autobiographies that doesn't include this wheel's on fire by levon helm is poo poo by definition

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Are those the second ravage and smokescreen?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

kizudarake posted:

Are those the second ravage and smokescreen?

Good eye, the first is just a 1:24 Maserati, but I'm pretty sure the WRX is BT01 Smokescreen. I also have Hound and Lambor (BT04 and 02) but they were too plasticy The WRX usually passes as just another model. I gave those to my kid, who promptly destroyed them.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 6, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

At least this many more stored away in boxes or in stacks in another room. Pretty much all sci-fi / fantasy / Clancy type stuff.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Locator posted:

At least this many more stored away in boxes or in stacks in another room. Pretty much all sci-fi / fantasy / Clancy type stuff.

I see you, too, own a red faux-leather edition of Lotr.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
People who own the Watchmen and the Sandman but not Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run confuse me.

Also, nomadologique, I'm glad we agree about Borges now and your weird opinion earlier that prompted all this was merely a miscommunication.

Re: Pynchon, should I read Gravity's Rainbow or Infinite Jest first if I want a big modern novel?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

A Strange Aeon posted:

People who own the Watchmen and the Sandman but not Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run confuse me.

Also, nomadologique, I'm glad we agree about Borges now and your weird opinion earlier that prompted all this was merely a miscommunication.

Re: Pynchon, should I read Gravity's Rainbow or Infinite Jest first if I want a big modern novel?

both at the same time, alternating between the books every time you finish a page

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Oh man this is gonna be a fun derail

read Infinite Jest and skip the footnotes

The Locator posted:

Nice every used bookstore I have ever been in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Neither, read Savage Detectives or 2666

• Locked thread