Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i absolutely loved Infinite Jest but i couldn't get through more than 10-20 pages at a time because it filled me with this half-anxious half-excited energy like coming up on a drug that made me want to throw the book on the ground and go for a jog

While reading it (I'm about 1/4 of the way through), I was like "I bet the author killed himself" and then later I learned I was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Applewhite posted:

That's two Goons with Cormack McCarthy's The Road. Must be pretty good.
it's a pretty good book. a very ambiguous plot and about no characterization of anyone, but since it's a post-apocalyptic world, i'll let it slide.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

That's two Goons with Cormack McCarthy's The Road. Must be pretty good.

it is very good

symbolic posted:

no characterization of anyone

a baffling takeaway

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

im gaye posted:

one must be a novelization of the movie based on the novel

What a time to be alive!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have an actual full OED

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's the compressed one (where every page is a photo of nine tiny pages) but still

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I got rid of all but my most treasured books a while ago for the sake of portability :(

Some day when I'm old and immobile I'll get that complete Yale Shakespeare where each play is its own little hardcover book.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Come on Commie NedFlanders, post your bookshelf. Don't be chicken. The big bad gov't doesn't care if you own a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook or something.

wiley e. sheep
Feb 15, 2016

by zen death robot
sheep goats is the best poster imo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

so you put your books on the floor then

i know what you mean. i have more of a book, uh, monument?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

i know what you mean. i have more of a book, uh, monument?

You gotta turn it so we can see the titles!

Also what's the series down on the bottom left?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
despite the tactile and mildly erotic pleasures of a paperbound text e-reader usability and quality is finally at a level where I'll just keep my library on this much less glamorous black rectangle and use the shelves for what their ultimate purpose was anyway, a display of my interests

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shaquin posted:

despite the tactile and mildly erotic pleasures of a paperbound text e-reader usability and quality is finally at a level where I'll just keep my library on this much less glamorous black rectangle and use the shelves for what their ultimate purpose was anyway, a display of my interests

I have books on e-reader, too, but any book I'm really serious about, I try to get on paperback.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Applewhite posted:

How are they on 4chan already I literally took them like half an hour ago?

if im mistaken and you're committing to those being your books i just have to accept that you're a guy who has a hundred graphic novels and even all your normal books are like consistently the hardcover bright colors picture book prints

and that is o k if you are happy, i will find a way to be glad for you

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im gaye posted:

a baffling takeaway
i'm not necessarily wrong

for gently caress's sake there's one named character in the novel and it's not even his real name. there's certainly character DEVELOPMENT, but McCarthy doesn't describe what people look like, just "there is a man and there is a boy".

besides, the lack of characterization helps the novel, since it gives you the feeling of "this could happen to anyone at anytime, including you".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Applewhite posted:

You gotta turn it so we can see the titles!
poo poo man if i did that it might fall :v:

quote:

Also what's the series down on the bottom left?
how to train your dragon

i won't pretend that i read high literature, but i certainly read a lot

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

symbolic posted:

i'm not necessarily wrong

for gently caress's sake there's one named character in the novel and it's not even his real name. there's certainly character DEVELOPMENT, but McCarthy doesn't describe what people look like, just "there is a man and there is a boy".

besides, the lack of characterization helps the novel, since it gives you the feeling of "this could happen to anyone at anytime, including you".

its a matter of semantics then

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

extra stout posted:

if im mistaken and you're committing to those being your books i just have to accept that you're a guy who has a hundred graphic novels and even all your normal books are like consistently the hardcover bright colors picture book prints

and that is o k if you are happy, i will find a way to be glad for you

Those are all my books.

E: Not all of my books but the books pictured are all mine.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

poo poo man if i did that it might fall :v:

how to train your dragon

i won't pretend that i read high literature, but i certainly read a lot

Aw man I wanna read the How to Train Your Dragon books!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

im gaye posted:

its a matter of semantics then
i suppose, depending on if you count character development as characterization. i personally don't.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

symbolic posted:

i suppose, depending on if you count character development as characterization. i personally don't.

youre more correct than i am

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I actually thought all this time I had a normal amount of graphic novels (for, you know, a nerd) and that when I posted them you guys were going to make fun of me for having so few.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

I actually thought all this time I had a normal amount of graphic novels (for, you know, a nerd) and that when I posted them you guys were going to make fun of me for having so few.

the secret is to get the good big ones (from hell, black hole) they blend in better

also seek out hardcovers

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 19, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This is what I call my working shelf

E: retook w flash so you can read the words

raton fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 19, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Sheep-Goats posted:

SPACE DEMONS

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Sheep-Goats posted:

What's pok pok?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

E: retook w flash so you can read the words

quote:

Songs of Innocence and of Experience

:hfive:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hector Beerlioz posted:

What's pok pok?

Really good Thai cookbook for people that want to make real Thai food but don't live in Thailand with great cultural notes about the nation its food its people

Thais like onomatopoeia, "pok pok" is the word for the sound it makes when you use a big (usually wooden) mortar and pestle to either make curry paste or assemble a few distinctly Thai dishes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I have the complete color plates and an Erdman complete poetry and prose in my ark

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I wanna read BLOOD MERIDIAN

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

im gaye posted:

SPACE DEMONS

I had to ask in the "ID a book thread" to locate that one again. I read it in sixth grade originally. It's about a computer game that if you beat the first level pulls you into the computer and you have to beat the game or die. The game is also basically learn by death so the stakes are really high!!!!

I haven't reread it since getting it.

That Battle Circle book is the most grade A schlock I can possibly imagine it's great.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Applewhite posted:

i bought like 12 before i decided anymore and ill regret my life

despite how easy it is to jump into a graphic novel i find i only reread my absolute favorites as often as i reread the entire lord of the rings, maybe i'm just getting old or not that into comics anymore

Applewhite posted:

ask him for his extra copy hes a nice guy

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I stained and varnished the bookcase myself. :smug:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

McCarthy is a little difficult to read and BM is his hardest book to read. I actually like Suttree a little more and it's easier so maybe read that first then do Blood. All the Pretty Horses is ok but real loving tame compared to the other two.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Applewhite posted:

You really want to talk about the embarrassing amount of overlap we got going on here

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

i bought like 12 before i decided anymore and ill regret my life

despite how easy it is to jump into a graphic novel i find i only reread my absolute favorites as often as i reread the entire lord of the rings, maybe i'm just getting old or not that into comics anymore

ask him for his extra copy hes a nice guy

I don't have an extra those other two are critical pieces on Blood

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

gnarlyhotep posted:

looks pretty good i like that sweet huge old copy of the silmarillion though i think you need a copy of children of hurin next to it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

The books go at the front of the shelves not the back WTF

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

gnarlyhotep posted:

I think you are the only other person besides me who has the Starship Titanic novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

i see Catch-22 and Jurassic Park down there. you're a good man.

i really wish i still had my copy of Catch-22 though. :smith:

• Locked thread