Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Every animal in the world wants to kill cabelas-man, so the only self-defense is to drive these beautiful endangered creatures to extinction.

So this is a game made by Sand Grain Studios, who I have never heard of. It is about FLINT ABRAHAMS and his quest to kill every animal for revenge-type purposes. Also he is possibly psychic?

The LP's video quality will be poor because even though I have the ps3 version the game will only run in standard definitions. UPDATE: Eventually the video quality got better for no apparent reason. Truly Cabelas is a mystery. Anyway here is a spooky bear:

Joining me will be various co-commentators. Please enjoy this video series.

VIDEOS:

PART 1: Tanzania (featuring Heave)
PART 2: Alaska (featuring KalonZombie)
PART 3: Ecuador (featuring Heavy Sigh)
PART 4: India (featuring Loco and NGDBSS)
PART 5: British Columbia (featuring Lesbiathan)
PART 6: Congo (featuring Lesbiathan)
PART 7: Thailand (featuring Ceciltron and Great Joe)
PART 8: Namibia (featuring Mateo360)
PART 9: Russia (featuring Heave and Lesbiathan) -- this is the big finale!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 1: TANZANIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N218OyYzma4

Joining me for this first video is Heave, who did not know what game I was asking him to watch. It also has a short tutorial level in Russia which sets up the game's gripping plot. Please enjoy!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cathode Raymond posted:

I disagree with the killing of mammals for fun as well as the frankly racist (speciesist?) depiction of the bear on the cover.

So of course I'll be watching.

EDIT

:stare:

Flint's demeanor and goals are monstrous. He wants to kill everything on earth for reasons that are as yet unclear, but even the very tenuous motive of "revenge" that ostensibly drives him doesn't hold up, as he was eager to kill that bear even before he realized it had mauled Sergei to death.

If he succeeds in killing most of the large mammals that he hunts, he will likely turn his gun on other humans, assuming he hasn't already. The Tanzanian hyenas sensed Flint's malicious nature and that explains their desperate and suicidal attempts at attacking him.

Also, this game seems to think that lions (perhaps all non-human animals?) are all members of some sort of terrorist organization. It's really weird. It's all really weird.

Flint comes across like a weird sociopath, even more so than most of the Cabelas protagonists. Like if he just wanted to track down the bear and stop it from killing anyone else, that'd be weird but I guess understandable, but he immediately goes to Tanzania to kill lions for literally no reason. I mean, yeah, the dude in DH 2011 also wants to kill all the animals, but since they actually are the result of a shadowy government cabal it's at least somewhat justified. Sort of. On the other hand, the father in 2011 genuinely acts like a serial killer so it's a give and take situation :shrug:

Also, Cabelas game boxes are incredible and I love them. Here's the Uncharted ripoff we mentioned:

Spooky!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

By the way, I don't have any set recording schedule so if anyone would like to be in the LP and knows how to do that (i.e. how to use audacity etc) then you absolutely can. Especially since I recorded part 2 today and the audio got all hecked up ruining the recording so we will be needing to do a second take of that. You can live your dream of talking over a guy what shoot bears!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 2: ALASKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY2NkP0oAaY

Joining me this time is KalonZombie, because I had him on Discord and hit him up. Plus it's got a bear in it so please enjoy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Please stop with the puns, I can't bear them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 3: ECUADOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69qek-d0OI

Happy Easter everbody! Join me and Heavy Sigh as we kill some adorable kitty-cats in the jungles of Ecuador.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

watching that back, this video quality is probably way too poor to inflict on people any further tbh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The India level is very out of character for Flint, as you'll see whenever I get around to recording it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Shoeless posted:

I'm amazed the developers had the self restraint to not make the plane crash somehow the fault of animals.

I like to believe Flint's bullet caused it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Shoeless posted:

I feel like Cabela might not understand nature. Or animals. To whit, from Dangerous Hunts 2011, from a passage delivered by the main character: "I ran towards the sound of the wounded bear, fearing that the grizzly would find my brother before I could stop it." Now, I'm no outdoorsman, but I feel like running towards a wounded grizzly bear is probably on the list of Do's and Don't of hunting, firmly on the Don't list.

2011 has a scene where they cut out an elk's still-beating heart and eat it raw

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

maybe that dad is flint abrahams

it all ties together

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alcharagia posted:

the timeline doesn't match up at all, when would flint abrahams even get the time to legally change his name to samson rainesford and then be an old guy hunting for government super-hyenas over 30 years ago- when does this game take place? are we in space? kill animals

considering 2011 has literal magic in it perhaps he simply time-traveled

this is really the deus ex of hunting games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 4: INDIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2KZp-_Qr8

Joining me are Loco, NGDBSS, and a series of terrible audio fuckups. I think they are mostly fixed but maybe not!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cathode Raymond posted:

Nira: "All four of them? How?"
Abrahams: "Well Mr Nira, I used my eyes and I used my ears."
Nira: "No, I meant how and why did you carry them all back here and leave them in one big pile? It seems both impossible and pointless."

Edit: Also, that log crossing mini game might be the worst mini game of all time.

It is pretty drat terrible, yeah. If there's a way to do it without just mashing buttons, I haven't seen it. None of the other advice I could find was at all effective, including the stuff the game tells you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 5: BRITISH COLUMBIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJH4skYw_6Y

Featuring The Lesbiathan and BEAUTIFUL NEXT-GEN HD

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Derek Barona posted:

Wow, that visual difference. Holy crap.

Yep! It just sort of... worked today, and I don't have any idea why. So I can't even promise the rest of the game will be in HD!

e: Before anyone asked, it was loving up the graphics even when just plugged into my tv, so it wasnt an issue with my capture equipment. Today I decided to try recording the messed up graphics as a bonus and the game worked perfectly instead :shrug:

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 6, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 6: CONGO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIKbQ00AyQ

Lesbiathan is here again and so am I and so are some hippos. Enjoy the video

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Activision has a Steam sale that includes Cabela's stuff. Is African Adventures as amazingly dumb as the negative reviews portray it?

African Adventures has some dull parts, but it also has stealth missions where you must avoid patrolling zebra in order to assassinate the head zebra

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

here's what it looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qb4BjzyoDM

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 7: THAILAND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3keRiHtfZ_8

Joining me today is Ceciltron and Great Joe. We save some bears, which is very out of character for Flint, but whatever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 8: NAMIBIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNTa0aZO9I

Mateo joins me for this exciting video in which we save a man from the heart of darkness.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sorry for taking so long with the last video, but I've been busy dealing with students' finals and getting ready for the summer. Should be done in a few days, though!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART 9: RUSSIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXtZYbgsReA

Joining me for the grand finale are the Lesbiathan and the Heave. Will the bear be brought to justice? The bear will be brought to justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cathode Raymond posted:

Well this has certainly been...a Cabela's game. I guess I always thought they were something like this but I never would have guessed they were this much like this.

I liked how when you didn't shoot enough wolves the game just stopped. Maybe Flint has to kill a certain number of mammals over a certain time period or he ceases to exist. Like an ancient Cabela curse or something.

EDIT:

I know the game says that second wolf was 5 years old but we all know he spawned only a fraction of a second before getting his head caved in by the butt of Flint's rifle.

Are you saying Flint can't instantly judge how old an animal is? Clearly untrue

• Locked thread