Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I disagree with the killing of mammals for fun as well as the frankly racist (speciesist?) depiction of the bear on the cover.

So of course I'll be watching.

EDIT

:stare:

Flint's demeanor and goals are monstrous. He wants to kill everything on earth for reasons that are as yet unclear, but even the very tenuous motive of "revenge" that ostensibly drives him doesn't hold up, as he was eager to kill that bear even before he realized it had mauled Sergei to death.

If he succeeds in killing most of the large mammals that he hunts, he will likely turn his gun on other humans, assuming he hasn't already. The Tanzanian hyenas sensed Flint's malicious nature and that explains their desperate and suicidal attempts at attacking him.

Also, this game seems to think that lions (perhaps all non-human animals?) are all members of some sort of terrorist organization. It's really weird. It's all really weird.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
It's ridiculous to the point where I start to suspect the devs hated the subject matter they were hired to work with and went out of their way to make fun of it.

This lack of enthusiasm would also explain the technical issues.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
The wolves are right to attack you, Cabela Man. The wolves' cause is righteous.

Is the "Ranger" character supposed to be a park ranger? Because I don't think a park ranger would risk letting Abrahams loose in his park.

I still think the devs were actively trying to make us hate the protagonist. Notice how he never really intends to help people even though all the other characters in the game are endangered by his actions, like causing the lion reprisal raid in Tanzania and the avalanche in Alaska.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I just pretend that it's a ps2 game, which it pretty much is.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

India, huh. The most dangerous thing to shoot there would be a cow. Does Flint shoot cows?

I think his characterization has been consistent enough so far that we can definitely say that yes, he does shoot cows, whether the game shows it or not.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
When you killed that capybara and fed it to the piranhas I died a little inside.

So we can assume that Flint executed the two crash victims immediately after that last cutscene, right? Is that how everyone else read that scene?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

I feel like Cabela might not understand nature. Or animals. To whit, from Dangerous Hunts 2011, from a passage delivered by the main character: "I ran towards the sound of the wounded bear, fearing that the grizzly would find my brother before I could stop it." Now, I'm no outdoorsman, but I feel like running towards a wounded grizzly bear is probably on the list of Do's and Don't of hunting, firmly on the Don't list.

This is very much correct. Also, a wounded bear is unlikely to be actively looking for that protagonist's brother in our reality, especially if a human did the wounding. That's why this must take place in an alternate Cabela's timeline like Orange Fluffy Sheep said where all non-human animals have coalesced into some sort of ISIS-like terror state, and our only defense is the Cabela Vanguard of bullet-time antiheroes of which Flint is the most sociopathic formidable member.

This game is basically anti-animal propaganda which I find really weird and depressing and fascinating.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

alcharagia posted:

Well there's a mysterious spooky whistle noise that causes animals to go berserk and kill Cabela's Man and it is never fully explained whether it comes from the government super-hyenas or is just magic.

This is dumb and was thought up by a hack but I still prefer it because at least it explains the animals' ultraviolent behavior. Cabela's 2009 seems to think that all animals are just inherently evil, all by themselves, as if they somehow evolved to be thoughtlessly aggressive at all times towards anything that moves.

Cabela's 2009 thinks the Humane Society is a criminal organization. Cabela's 2009 thinks Sea World is too nice to its orcas. Cabela's 2009 thinks that the dentist who shot Cecil the lion should have tortured him first. Cabela's 2009 is hostile to all living things.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Nira: "All four of them? How?"
Abrahams: "Well Mr Nira, I used my eyes and I used my ears."
Nira: "No, I meant how and why did you carry them all back here and leave them in one big pile? It seems both impossible and pointless."

Edit: Also, that log crossing mini game might be the worst mini game of all time.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 2, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I thought Henry Tally was murdered by the lions.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes, they do turn around sometimes and you need to hide.

What happens if they catch you? Does the Gemsbok Ambassador complain about your espionage on the floor of the UN?

I thought that Cabela's just fetishized human-on-nonhuman violence but some of these missions seem to indicate that it's so much weirder and more complex than that.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I love how Flint says, "stay here, I'll go for help" then immediately proceeds to keep on hunting the leopard he originally came to kill. Classic Flint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Well this has certainly been...a Cabela's game. I guess I always thought they were something like this but I never would have guessed they were this much like this.

I liked how when you didn't shoot enough wolves the game just stopped. Maybe Flint has to kill a certain number of mammals over a certain time period or he ceases to exist. Like an ancient Cabela curse or something.

EDIT:

I know the game says that second wolf was 5 years old but we all know he spawned only a fraction of a second before getting his head caved in by the butt of Flint's rifle.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 26, 2016

• Locked thread