Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So does the game offer any other goals other than levelling up? I'll probably stick with it because I like pointless things, and I like pointless things that don't seem to take up all my processing power, but I'm curious. The manual lists 8 quests, three of which are finished, three of which I've found and accepted and two of which are in areas in different bits of the map. Is that an exhaustive list, or am I going to be presented with more that are hidden until I've gotten more levels or taken a boat from the bay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Assuming you'd just be able to fail a captcha as many times as you want is stupid, but so is expecting people to be watching the chat on an idle game at all times.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Doublepost with a question, do timers just go down naturally as you level? I'm reading the mining manual page and it looks like a pick can get you -8 and other gear can get you -7. A lot of that can't be equipped until you're really deep in anyway. Mana regen doesn't seem to be anywhere near high enough to keep buffs up.

People are talking about 20s timers and here I am with 50 seconds on everything, wondering how you're supposed to get there.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

23:37:08 Cowboy *ATF* : Grumpy, this Cone issue,,,can you check ip's?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Congrats on your JOAT!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Reminder: pubbies are still awful, remember to poke them.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't think it's that they hate new players so much as they just hate people upsetting their applecart. More than anything else, it just seems like they're upset we're questioning them and their game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In about 4000 exp, I hit mining 30 and can slow down on the salt rock surplus.

What are our mining needs? Nickel or Volundr, or something else we need lower down? Keep beelining for exp for higher level things?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think he's a better-safe-than-sorry kind of guy.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

We're still two million xp from 50th. None of the people in that space apart from ATF are growing particularly fast, so probably a couple of weeks.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Goons are dumb. In their defence, the admin is also pretty dumb, as are the pubbies and the game itself.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Rule of thumb, as with most things, is probably "if you have to ask, maybe don't?"

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

You can run it in the background while raiding or whatever for more efficient MMO itch scratching.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

10:28:08 From Charles Bukowski : did I sell you snail bucks at aeon bay, 1.8 months ago around 2pm central time

Does the game track these trades itself, or is he keeping a trade spreadsheet that divides months up decimally?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Moose_Knuck posted:

That was a sweet haul of snail gear, gents. I feel lost now, though, without the hunt for rainbow snails. Are these sweet saved up random drop bonuses worth spending for golden eggs, or should I just keep them until the next event? Those timer bonuses are going straight to chopping the woods :parrot:

There's a few things with good random drops, it kind of depends what you're doing. Try to use at least a few of them if you're getting full. No point in letting them get capped and wasting pubbie gifts.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Festive boots are pretty difficult to get at this point. The cheapest in shops are 2 sparklies for 30k and then 5 normal ones for 50k. We're out in storage. Basically, unless someone bought up a big pile when they were cheap I don't think they're really an option, at least for new players and probably for most of the rest of us.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Chronos blacklisted us back during the cone shenanigans in april. He is a good example of the fun and friendly long time players this game has.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wait, what happened to Gomez?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh man. Did anyone save a chat log? And follow up, how the gently caress did she not notice that weeks ago?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The other thing is that cherry pies disappear pretty quickly a lot of the time. Taking 10 seconds off for an hour is 15 pies. A single person could very easily use several hundred in a day. In a guild of 61 actives, they're not going to last long.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

bmoon posted:

Amar goons XP v0.6.1

Save your own copy and play around with the numbers

0.6.1 - 2016-08-20
  • Added a few timers
  • Added level chart and updated cell W6 in the skill tabs (no more entering exp!)
  • Highlighted a few actions to denote skill progression for optimal exp

My salt rock timer is 20 and xp per action is 24. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean I'll get an action every 21 seconds, for 171 ish actions an hour and 4.1k xp per hour? I assume I've cocked up using the spreadsheet somewhere?

Also, gently caress this game's xp curve literally no-one needs any more salt, why is it by far the best thing to mine?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Oh yeah, salt's definitely the best. We don't have 80k of the stuff for nothing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

RabbitWizard posted:

Counting down to 0 adds a second. So a 20 timer action takes 21 seconds.

That's what I said?

The issue was that the spreadsheet was reporting a little over half the XP I ought to get given I was getting 24 xp every 21 seconds. I wanted to know if I was using the spreadsheets wrong or if the calculation was busted.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

do you guys not ship it

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

quote:

15:28:05 darrens SP : i asked grumpy about it last night game time
15:28:27 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : technically it's nighttime game time now
15:28:54 Kamaki ~worms~ : says daytime on my screen?
15:28:57 darrens SP : yesterday i meant sorry for the misunderstanding lol
15:29:01 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : what's 15:28 in simpleton time
15:29:13 Kamaki ~worms~ : mid afternoon, charles
15:29:21 darrens SP : 3:28 pm
15:29:34 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : so 9 hours will be midnight
15:29:44 darrens SP : my mom could never figure out the army time either
15:29:59 Kamaki ~worms~ : it's gmt...
15:30:08 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : yes you and your mom all day everyday
15:30:36 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : is incest legal in Canada or something?
15:31:05 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : Canadians the basement dwellers
15:31:34 Cerepol : 15:30:58 You are now character level 19.
15:31:40 Kamaki ~worms~ : ...that's a really weird thing to say...
15:32:01 Hexasodium Slumber : it's UTC
15:32:09 darrens SP : at leas i know what is on charles mind every minute of the day
15:32:29 Kamaki ~worms~ : and zulu, and gmt (not summer).
15:32:55 Kamaki ~worms~ : here darrens, have some brain bleach, it'll help wash the Charles out of your head
15:34:05 Hexasodium Slumber : the game use to be on Eastern Standard Time, but daylight savings got annoying so it was switched to UTC
15:34:05 darrens SP : gmt kamaki... do you refer to grenech mean time there
15:34:21 Charles Bukowski Outlaw : seriously quit bitching about America and get your old rear end out of your mom's basement you human being add Canadian bitch
15:34:53 [GM] Gix muted Charles Bukowski for 105 minutes for obscene language and harassment.

Good Job Charles.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm guessing grumpy looked at the logs, realised he was just attention seeking and moved on. I don't know why they don't just ban him for being a poo poo though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, but there's such a thing as discretion and judgement - that quite clearly wasn't actually spam or anything remotely offensive. He shut down a perfectly reasonable conversation between two players by enforcing a (frankly really stupid) rule about little technicalities, and he was hostile about it - he never said what rule was broken, even when asked, and took the time to threaten further bans rather than leaving it. It's not like he's running a legal system or a 400 person irc room, he could afford half a minute to read up and decide whether a mute was going to accomplish anything at all.

Surely the point of rules is to make the chat a friendlier and more fun place to be - Virtus not only solved precisely no problems with that mute, he actively made the chat less welcoming. Like, we talk a whole lot about how terrible the roleplayers and the bitter vets are at making the game better for new people, but the people running the drat thing should not be the ones chasing regular talk away.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Goons have a terrible habit of being better than everyone else at video games, and being extra smug about it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

You say "bring back roygbiv" but I'm the only one who reps it every time you level up.

Posers.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

He's insane in just about every way except the one where people pretend to be cats.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think plus duration buffs are applied at the end? I usually queue up my buffs then spend the first 20 seconds chugging my cider and switching to my sparkly outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I typed a bunch of stuff under the mining heading, and it turns out I'm really bad at being concise.