Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Anybody seen it?

After paramount cancelling it a week before it hit the screens in the U.S., I had to go to find out why.

I remembered the story vaguely in the back of the head.

I've trying to figure out why it was cancelled so decided to go.

our theatre had 5 people.and without too many spoilers, I would say it was a very art house film. It used the original story as a framing narrative for the girl's story.

If you liked up, you'll like this movie, but it will probably break your heart in the process. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Beautiful film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEPqgSNLfK8

The english dub is complete and available on the French Blu-ray, if anyone is keen to import it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's "beautiful" only in the 15% that's about the Prince. The other 85% is about a girl and her micromanaging mom, and that part is animated solely in Pixar-lite fashion. Ugly stuff, IMO.

I had no love for this film at all. It's principally a rant against capitalism and modernity, with no subtlety whatsoever. I really wish they had taken the $80 million and just animated the entire Little Prince story as a short film.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, I don't really get the framing device here - the original story is a stone-cold, universally-beloved, timeless classic - but I'll check it out when it hits Netflix.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, the stop-motion story parts are fantastic but that's just a tiny sliver of the movie and the rest of it is dogshit. What little there is doesn't really even capture the themes of the story very well.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, I don't really get the framing device here - the original story is a stone-cold, universally-beloved, timeless classic - but I'll check it out when it hits Netflix.

I feel like I ought to be overjoyed at the fact that, within the last year, two of my favorite books of all time were made into beautiful animated films (this, and The Prophet). I'm not the only one who loves those books. But inexplicably both of them ended up saddled with a bad framing story because ... cartoons are for kids, I guess?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There isn't enough material in The Little Prince for a feature-length film; it always needed some framing.

This was possibly the worst way to do it, though.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's a disappointment. I was a bit worried about the way the way the story was being framed in the trailers but I still had a sliver of hope.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vegetable posted:

There isn't enough material in The Little Prince for a feature-length film; it always needed some framing.

They managed to make a feature-length film out of Where The Wild Things Are, a book that has more pictures than words. I remember hearing it was good, too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

They managed to make a feature-length film out of Where The Wild Things Are, a book that has more pictures than words. I remember hearing it was good, too.

It's a very strange, but good movie. There's literally a scene debating whether life matters because everything crumbles to dust (while they're walking in the middle of a desert).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vegetable posted:

This was possibly the worst way to do it, though.

The guy that made gundam made a 39 episode french cartoon out of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The guy that made gundam made a 39 episode french cartoon out of it.

Is that the one they used to show on Nickelodeon? I used to watch the poo poo out of that cartoon when I was a kid. It's also where I learned how to properly water plants.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, there's plenty of material in the book for a movie or other adaptations (which already exist, as mentioned). While it does have the problem that the narrative doesn't really flow smoothly, it already has its own framing story - the pilot, and that can be fleshed out as necessary. My ideal adaptation would probably make the pilot literally Saint-Exupery and be semi-biographical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

raditts posted:

Is that the one they used to show on Nickelodeon? I used to watch the poo poo out of that cartoon when I was a kid. It's also where I learned how to properly water plants.

Yeah, it was made by the guy that made gundam then localized by the guy that made fantasia. It's kinda a mess of a show but it's kinda great.

• Locked thread