Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So, some errors in that post.

1. You never fight the Chimaeriad in full outside the replicas at the battle arena. Right before the first fight with Gaius they're down Agria.
2. Agria set the fire that killed the whole rest of their family because they were douchebags.
3. Cline was Driselle's brother, not husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So, some errors in that post.

1. You never fight the Chimaeriad in full outside the replicas at the battle arena. Right before the first fight with Gaius they're down Agria.
2. Agria set the fire that killed the whole rest of their family because they were douchebags.
3. Cline was Driselle's brother, not husband.

Right, right. Guess it's not surprising I forgot so many details of the first game. How about Melard?

Very late edit: after recording the story content for the next update, let me just get things straight so I fully understand what they were going for. Seriously massive spoilers for the next update, so if you haven't played past the next chapter, don't highlight this.

So Victor is Ludger from the fractured dimension you find him in. This dimension's history is an exact mirror of the Prime's, up until the point in which Ludger used his Chromatus too much, became a Waymarker, and became heavily scarred, causing him to wear the mask, change outfits, and call himself Victor.

He knew he had become a Waymarker, just as Odin had become aware of his status, and murdered the entire Xillia 1 main cast, with the exception of Milla and dump their bodies in the lake, which he knew, once Ludger and Elle arrived in his dimension, would cause them to come to Lake Epsilla, where he was hoping to kill Ludger, take his place in the Prime Dimension, and head to Canaan with Elle and wish for a complete reset of his life.
Is that about the high and low of it?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 5, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pretty much. Obviously MEGA SPOILERS.

The Xillia 1 cast of Victor's universe were hoping to wish to make their universe the Prime Universe. It turns out that's not a thing that they could do. They actually had gathered all the waymarkers but it didn't work because of, well, Canaan.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
All of this feels unnecessarily sad. Seeing how things had gone differently and just going around ending worlds like we're the final boss.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(Whew, that took a while to catch up after reaching the end of Xillia 1's LP. Probably too much for me to recap.)

I'm surprised that the early videos are on Vimeo, since as far as I know, they don't actually allow gaming videos anymore. (There isn't even a category for them on the main page.) Those could all be lost if they find them and delete your account.

Glazius posted:

All of this feels unnecessarily sad. Seeing how things had gone differently and just going around ending worlds like we're the final boss.

... maybe we ARE.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Douchebags is frankly underscoring what colossus assholes the Travis's were. Agria's father conceived her with a mistress and Agria and her mother lived away from her father for her early years. Eventually, her father brought them to the Travis estate, but his wife and legitimate children started abusing them. Agria's father did nothing to stop this and refused to let them leave, and eventually, Agria's mother committed suicide/was murdered. Agria ran away shortly after that because things were getting even worse (one of her step-siblings broke into her room and had Agria's pets killed). Agria lived on the streets for a whie, before she crossed paths with Presa, who convinced her to become a spy for Auj Oule. Agria agreed, went to spy on her family, and eventually, with the rest of the Chimierad and Gaius, confronted and killed two of Agria's step-siblings in a skirmish between Rashugal and Auj Oule. Agria then went and immolated the rest of her family by burning down the Travis estate.

Presa was abandoned by her parents in Auj Oule, who were working as spies for Rashugal. She fell in with the spy tribe in Auj Oule and was sent to find info in Fennmont. She fell in with Alvin there, and outed herself as a spy. He betrayed her, compromised her whole unit and Presa was tortured badly. She ended up being the only one to survive, but she had a death notice by the Spy Tribe so she just went super-deep into her duties. Eventually, Gaius picks her up and she was no longer despised by her own side. She then picks up Agria.

Wingul's description is just spot on. Fun fact, you can actually find him standing around the Orda Palace library in that Nachtigal Fractured Dimension.

Jiao was an outlaw because he killed the Kitarl Tribe Chief who was forcing himself on Jiao's mother. And Jiao's mother died in the scuffle. Jiao lived as a bandit for a while until he met Elize's parents, and was eventually taken in by them. A couple of bounty hunters came for Jiao's head, and Elize's parents were killed by them. Jiao blamed himself for their deaths, and Elize was kidnapped. Since the bounty hunters were sort-of working for Gaius, Jiao went to go take revenge. Jiao kicked Wingul's rear end but Gaius beat him and thought to make use of him. Jiao underwent a penance quest and became chief of the Kitarl Tribe.

Jiao died covering everyone's escape in Fezebel Marsh when the Elympion military was carpet-bombing the area.

Melard was referred to in X1, but never directly named. He's always described as an incompetent egotist.

Otulp there is... well, according to outside sources it's actually supposed to be a mutated Erston which... I don't agree with. Read that name backwards...

The Chimeriad serving under Melard is all sorts of wrong. Wingul would have overthrown the guy if Gaius hadn't first.

Sylphid posted:

Right, right. Guess it's not surprising I forgot so many details of the first game. How about Melard?

Very late edit: after recording the story content for the next update, let me just get things straight so I fully understand what they were going for. Seriously massive spoilers for the next update, so if you haven't played past the next chapter, don't highlight this.

So Victor is Ludger from the fractured dimension you find him in. This dimension's history is an exact mirror of the Prime's, up until the point in which Ludger used his Chromatus too much, became a Waymarker, and became heavily scarred, causing him to wear the mask, change outfits, and call himself Victor.

He knew he had become a Waymarker, just as Odin had become aware of his status, and murdered the entire Xillia 1 main cast, with the exception of Milla and dump their bodies in the lake, which he knew, once Ludger and Elle arrived in his dimension, would cause them to come to Lake Epsilla, where he was hoping to kill Ludger, take his place in the Prime Dimension, and head to Canaan with Elle and wish for a complete reset of his life.
Is that about the high and low of it?

SUPER SPOILERS BE HERE! Victor's Dimension proceeds nearly parallel to the adventure X2 has. Victor finds an Elle of his own, she's the Key, they collect the Waymarkers. That Elle dies along the way, and the waymarkers accomplish nothing because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY! Eventually Victor fathers his own Elle, who's also a Key. Bisley, Julius and the PCs want to use Elle-Key to bargain with the Prime. Victor flips out and murders everyone, save Gaius whom he cripples, and Milla/Muzet who are in the spirit world. Elle's mother dies from the stress and Victor starts his own plan, which you have correct. He becomes the Dimensional Catalyst host (Bisley was the prior host) and takes Bisley's watch. He enacts the Elle-to-Prime plan and sends her with his watch, while he keeps Bisley's which grants him the Full Chromatus and the final waymarker requiring Prime Ludger to come to him.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 8, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

McTimmy posted:

Xillia 1 and 2 plot stuff

You have my thanks for being so informative. I'll make sure you quote the spoilered bit in Part 24, which is coming very soon, as well as wdarkk's elaboration, since that's a lot of supplemental material that helps explain entirely what's going on.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 8, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mega Spoilers: Waymarkers can't work in an alternate world because the Land of Canaan is only in the prime world.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIV: The Man Who Mirrors

So, I did do some stuff prior to beginning this next chapter, but trust me, we're gonna have more than enough poo poo go down this time. Count on that.

The end of the beginning

As I recall, I only asked for Ludger and Maxwell.

We don't trust you Spirius people.

Why don't you tell me how you really feel, Dr. Mathis! I didn't expect that much spine from one who claims to support both spyrix and spirits.

The accord 'twixt the two nations has been ratified. Adversity can be a strong foundation for peace.

How selfless of you to come all this way to give me your report. Both as a CEO and a citizen, I'm overjoyed.

I take it that you're Bisley Bakur. Looking at you, you do appear to be a formidable man.

And you, I would presume to be the true Maxwell.

My Milla was true too, you know!

*hand over Elle's mouth* You are correct.

Every inch as proud as I'd expect from the Lord of Spirits.

The dimensional abyss has stabilized.

*nod* Then I shall transfer you the coordinates of the fractured dimension containing the final Waymarker.

No. That said, you should find it easily enough. Focus your search on the divergence catalyst, as in any other case. If Dr. Mathis and his friends are willing to cooperate, you are sure to succeed.

I'll cooperate with Ludger. But I do it on my own terms, to fulfill my duty.

Indeed. We cooperate because we want to, not because we are ordered to.

Exercising your own free will, huh? That is humanity's strength. You have some steadfast friends, Ludger.

*nod*

All of the Spirius goons then decided to salute, with some doing it with their left hand! For shame.

The final Waymarker is within our grasp. In this grand endeavor, I wish you godspeed.

You put a lot of trust in Ludger.

With good reason. The Key of Kresnik is mankind's last hope. Only he can overcome Origin's Trial.

But no pressure, right?

Right...

Before we jump back into this fateful dimension, an affection skit from the Lord of Spirits. Kinda weird timing, but there ya go.

That deviation number is pretty drat low, which means it's pretty close to the Prime Dimension's history. Oh boy.

Unfamiliar familiarity

It takes me back to when we all first met.

Conductor Ilbert?

Yes. I am Rowen Ilbert. I was once the steward for House Sharil. A pleasure to see you again.

How dare you!

How dare I what?

You take me for an idiot? I dunno who put together that costume of yours, pal, but it's not fooling me!

Costume?

That's...yeah, this is starting to get real ugly.

Uh...let's just hold on a minute, buddy.

Where've you been? it was a big deal in Rieze Maxia. King Gaius threw him a state funeral and everything.

Huh?

Who murdered him?

No one knows. They found the body floating in Lake Epsilla in Elympios.

Lake... Epsilla.

Now, I've had enough of your sick little joke. Buzz off!

Intriguing. A fractured dimension in which I've been murdered.

But if everyone here already knows about Elympios, and Rowen died eight years ago... This fractured dimension must be several years ahead of the prime dimension. Anyway, let's investigate the murder scene.

There's a skit shortly after to take some of the edge off the previous scene, but more important is Elle suggesting we check on the time capsules we buried in front of Sharil Manor. After all, if this dimension's history is very close to the Prime, then they'll be there. Do note, however, you will need to have completed Rowen chapter 2 to make it show up.

As another heads up, this fractured dimension has a LOT of new weapons and armor for you to pick up if you want. I would strongly advise this course of action.

Buried secrets

Correct. Burying them here was Lady Driselle's idea.

Should we dig them up?

Well, although we'll increase Rowen, Elle's, and Elize's affection by choosing L1, you get some really nice stuff with R1. Feels like cheating, though, since it's only been EIGHT years since these were buried, at least.

Very well. No need to feel guilt over an unsightly hole. This world will be gone soon enough.

You're gonna open mine, too?

Told ya it was quite a haul. The Dread Needle is a good weapon for Rowen, the Pink Emerald (obviously buried by Elize) is a crafting material you can otherwise get from Kitty Dispatch Tatalian Abyss, Dull Colored Gemstone is obviously left by Elle (since she mentions in a victory quote she puts "pretty little stones [she's] found" in her backpack.

The Hallowed Doll is a really unique item you can only get here, and it was probably left by Driselle. What it is is that it's a 50% chance to revive from KO, and unlike the Reverse Doll item, it will NEVER break. It's quite the get-out-of-jail-free card. Finally, the Spirius Fangs were...not left by Ludger! We left the Spirius Blades, but, this is where that choice so long ago makes a difference. If you put the Spirius Hammer in here, you'll get the Obsidian Sledge, and if you put the Spirius Shot in here, you'll get the Spirius Tacticals instead. All are *considerable* improvements over what you put in there.

As it happens, I got the Fangs, which are Earth-elemental *and* have a chance to revive from KO. That's on top of the Hallowed Doll, so...

These are exactly the same time capsules that we buried.

Hm, interesting.

This dimension's history was identical to the prime's until some point in the past.

Perhaps my death was the point at which the two split.

The death of a nation's prime minister would certainly leave a mark on history.

Rowen, don't you want to meet this dimension's Driselle?

I'd better not. Nothing good would come of it.

True, that. Well, since fast travel is disabled in fractured dimensions, and nothing at all interesting happened on the way to Marksburg (our route is Sapstrath Seahaven -> Marksburg), let's skip right on over there. Specifically, the Bridge of Unity.

A future of hope?

What a cute little...glowy dog thing.

Well, we aren't jerks.

It's a spyrite!

Whew, found you! Don't go running off like that.

Excuse me, but is that a spyrite?

Huh? Yeah, what else would it be?

Does it ever, you know, lose control of itself?

Good heavens, no. I mean, he gets into trouble once in a while, but he's a good little spyrite.

Where might we learn more about spyrite technology?

Well... You could try the Spirius Corporation, I guess. But I doubt they'll tell you anything worthwhile. It's not really in their interest to spill any secrets. They have a total monopoly on the spyrite market.

Spyrite technology is everywhere in this world!

Perhaps the Jude of this dimension could tell us the secret to making spyrite technology viable.

*nod* One more question: Have you ever heard the name Jude Mathis?

Sure, in school. He's the guy who brought spyrite technology to the masses.

How 'bout that, Jude?!

Pipe down, Elle...

Shame how he died, though.

All those bodies bobbing in Lake Epsilla... Ugh.

Boy, this dimension's recent history just gets better and better, eh?

Wait, I'm dead, too?

Clearly we need to get to this Lake Epsilla. It's turning out to be quite the crime scene.

Uh, yeah. Can only imagine how much WORSE it could be right now, though. There's a skit in the next area where you can increase Jude's affection with R1. I am sure I'll found out in what amusing way Ludger decided to do that when I record alternate choices, though. For our road in the near future, though, thankfully you don't have to pass through Trigleph. The train in Marksburg will take you straight to Drellin, though, of course, we'll have to make the trip to the lake on-foot.

The mystery of the lake

Nature seems to be bouncing back.

Jude... *nod*

*nod*

Your choice when it comes to raising affection: L1 for Jude, and R1 for Milla. We'll be helping our protagonist friend, though.

Yeah.

Well, alright then.

This is simply the way Jude is. Please try and understand.

Wait, so you found something strange in Lake Epsilla?

While I was fishing, I reeled it in by accident.

Wait a minute, I know that thing. This is the stuffed animal the governor of Sharilton asked us to look for.

Right. Apparently it was that poor little girl's most prized possession.

Uh oh...

Why did it show up now? She's been dead for years.

Oh...oh my, this is getting worse by the moment. Jude, Rowen, AND Elize are dead.

Teepo?!

Which means the murdered girl was none other than...

Elize.

What in the world happened at that lake?!

Let's make haste for Lake Epsilla. The culprit must be long gone, but perhaps we can obtain some more information about the deed.

The lake...

Have a feeling poo poo's about get pretty real VERY soon.

There's more equipment you might feel like buying here in Drellin, including upgraded equipment for Ludger, Milla, Jude, and Rowen (funny how that works, huh?), so once you're done shopping, time to hit the trails. Let's make haste, indeed.

Well, would you look at this place. Looks like Elympios really is on the rebound, and spyrite technology definitely is viable. Of course, would be great if we knew the secret to making it work in the Prime Dimension, but hey. Baby steps. Also, there's a skit that pops up shortly after you get here.

I would bore you with the details of my trip to Lake Epsilla, but that would require something interesting to have happened on the way. Nothing of interest to me or anyone else did happen, so let's skip right on to the main event, shall we?

House by the lake

Everything is so lush.

Now's not the time to joke around, Ludger!

It's quite the mystery house, I should say.

It's not a mystery. Because that's where I live. That's my house! I live there with my daddy! Daddy!

So yes, this is all very well and good, and we've FINALLY found Elle's dad, but doesn't this stink to anyone else? Elle recognizes this house, and her dad, fine. But we're in a fractured dimension that happens to be very similar to the Prime Dimension's timeline. We saw this place in the opening movie, so that must mean...

Well, we'll find out the truth shortly. Draw your own conclusions for now.

Welcome home, Elle.

Where are the bad guys?

They're gone now.

Are you okay?

*nod*

A mask.

So that's Elle's father.

Well, R1 Ludger has a point. Seems Elle's just too overcome to remember this.

Right, it's easy to forget sometimes.

In our dimension, this house didn't even exist.

Could he be the catalyst?

Seems my girl's been in good hands. I'm Victor.

It's been too long since I've had guests. Please, join me for dinner.

*gasp*

Ever had that feeling where the hair just stands up on the back of your neck? I think Ludger's getting a nasty case of that right now.

I hope it sufficed.

Yes, thank you. You delivered quite a feast.

It's pretty tasty stuff, huh?

Ludger ain't losing to no one, not on the battlefield or in the kitchen. Not gonna start admitting defeat now.

It's a close call. You both use similar seasonings in your cooking, so it's tough. But I'm going to say Victor. The taste just has more depth.

Incidentally, the song playing over this scene is called Elle is Elle, which happens to sound very similar in parts to Sorey's Theme -Purity-, from Tales of Zestiria.

The latter is a really good song, I'll have you know. Just has that feeling of "You're about to go on an awesome adventure" vibe to it. In fact, Sorey is so cool, evidently, that he needed a second theme song. I believe he's the first Tales character to get 2 theme songs that are entirely different. In Symphonia and Dawn of the New World, a few characters had two themes, but they were different tempo versions of the same composition. For example, Colette had a normal, happy theme, but a slower, more downbeat version in sad scenes. Sorey gets two.

Anyway.

These bold flavors and delicate accents are the mark of a true artist.

Oh, stop.

Ludger! You should take some cooking lessons from daddy.

I think it's Daddy's fault for making my favorites.

You earned them all, my dear.

Elle goes to sleep. But no one else does...odd.

Victor. There's something I'd like to ask you.

You're curious about the mask, I'd wager. My face was scarred in battle long ago.

Not that.

What is it, then?

I have a feeling I know what is answer will be, but hey, let's humor him with R1. We could use some answers, too. Something very off about this guy.

Elle's father, of course.

In a sense, but--

But I'm from this dimension... Is that it?

Let me dispel any doubts. I really am this Elle's father.

That would mean Elle...

Yes. My daughter was born with a power that only a few Kresniks have ever possessed. She can manipulate space and time, a skill lost in the prime dimension.

She's the Key of Kresnik?!

So the power was never Ludger's to manifest?

He knew the truth of it all along.

What are you planning to do with the Key?

You see, the key has its limits.

I don't want to wake my daughter. Let's step out.

There's a chest with a Revival Ring here, a little hidden behind a shelf, but...I think we're gonna need to take this outside. I think our friend Victor here has a few more things to show us...

The following video is a *serious* pro-watch. This is definitely one of the best parts of the entire game.

Distant Mirror

Has spyrite technology been perfected in this dimension?

It has, and you perfected it eight years ago.

I see...

Why in the world would you do that?!

I didn't stop at Jude, either. I killed you in this dimension, as well. Alvin, Leia, and even Elize. I killed you all. You tried to stop me from killing Bisley. Even Julius took your side. Bisley made a grave mistake when he tried to take Elle from me.

I'll ask you again. What are you plotting?

I simply wish to live in peace with the real Elle. But that will never happen as long as he exists.

Exactly! I'm the future version of you! And now I shall become the real you!

Hey... What's everybody doing here?

Go back inside, honey. We're just having a little talk.

He proceeds to slap Elle by accident, but his writhing causes his mask to fall off...

No need to be frightened, Elle. If we go to the Land of Canaan, I can make this all go away. I promise. You and I can live happily ever after, Elle.

We really can?

Yeah, Elle, for the sake of raising your affection AND keeping you out of a bloodbath, you might want to take a few thousand steps back...

And Elle will be with me, of course. Reborn as my daughter in the prime dimension.

I'll be reborn?

That makes no sense! You'll be different people!

But we will still be together!

Daddy?

Everything will be fine. We'll make brand new memories. Come here. This time Mommy will be with us, too.

No... I don't want that! No!

Elle...

Seems these two are completely evenly matched...

So you lured Ludger into this dimension to trade places with him! Using your own daughter!

...I am the final Waymarker!

What the hell do you know!

What in the--

Now it's time to fight...Victor. He is one tough customer, as you might be imagining by this point.

The most important point is, being a fractured version of Ludger, he has access to ALL of Ludger's potential artes, Hammer, Guns, and Swords. That means he'll always be throwing something new at you, and he's plenty dangerous at any range. Since he has access to all of Ludger's artes, that means he can also throw out every status effect under the sun.

Also, he always starts out in, and will use every now and then, his Chromatus form. Victor Chromatus is *incredibly* dangerous, as is Ludger's. But this time, it's dangerous to us. While you can combo him like normal while he's in his Chromatus, his attacks will hit a very wide area / a single target for a lot of damage. He's not gonna pull any punches.

Being Ludger, he has access to Form Destroyer in his Chromatus form, and Ritual of Destruction in his normal form. If you ever see him throw out Grand Cleaver, and you're the target, immediately block. He can't activate Form Destroyer if you block Grand Cleaver.

Victor is very fast and powerful, so you'll need to choose your openings carefully. When he brings out his guns, that's your best chance. When he's focusing his attention on your buddies, he can't pay attention to you, so that's your chance to rush in and start a Power Combo.

Very much beware of Ritual of Destruction if Victor is in Over Limit and he has his hammer out. Magical Destruction hits a very wide area, and if you're not blocking, even for a moment, and he'll have his opening.

Requiem is the same story, but for guns. Very dangerous, even on its own.

We've...defeated ourselves...

Daddy...

drat! I'm already out of time. Listen, Ludger! There is a limit to how much you can use your power.

A limit?

Wait, does that mean...

You've become a divergence catalyst?

All power comes with a price to pay. That's just the way it is. You see?

So that's why you chose to be reborn.

Ludger!

Stay down, dammit!

What are you going to choose?!

...There's only one way this can end.

*gasp*

Please take care of Elle. Open the path to Canaan. Complete Origin's Trial.

Daddy!

And the world falls away...

Update 24 alternate choice compilation

The following posts are from the thread. They'll help explain what Victor's deal is in much better detail than the game goes into. There's a lot of supplemental material for this game's plot that admittedly I don't have 100% knowledge of, or have ready access to. These posts come with my stamp of approval. However, McTimmy's post does have an end-game spoiler in it, so once we're done with the plot, you can come back for the full explanation on Victor, this fractured dimension, and Elle.

McTimmy posted:

SUPER SPOILERS BE HERE! Victor's Dimension proceeds nearly parallel to the adventure X2 has. Victor finds an Elle of his own, she's the Key, they collect the Waymarkers. That Elle dies along the way, and the waymarkers accomplish nothing because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY! Eventually Victor fathers his own Elle, who's also a Key. Bisley, Julius and the PCs want to use Elle-Key to bargain with the Prime. Victor flips out and murders everyone, save Gaius whom he cripples, and Milla/Muzet who are in the spirit world. Elle's mother dies from the stress and Victor starts his own plan, which you have correct. He becomes the Dimensional Catalyst host (Bisley was the prior host) and takes Bisley's watch. He enacts the Elle-to-Prime plan and sends her with his watch, while he keeps Bisley's which grants him the Full Chromatus and the final waymarker requiring Prime Ludger to come to him.

wdarkk posted:

Pretty much. Obviously MEGA SPOILERS.

The Xillia 1 cast of Victor's universe were hoping to wish to make their universe the Prime Universe. It turns out that's not a thing that they could do. They actually had gathered all the waymarkers but it didn't work because of, well, Canaan.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 8, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Early on, I caught the early little hints suggesting that Elle's father was Julius, but after a while, and as more clues popped up, those began to feel like red herrings, to try and make the audience think that they're clever by catching them. So I looked for the twist beyond the twist, which would be that it was Ludgar who was Elle's father (somehow). With all the dimension fuckery, I wasn't entirely sure how that would work, but it seemed like a good bet. I was thinking more like time travel than the dimensions being offset in time from the prime one, but I guess that's kinda the same thing. I should have considered time offsets - after all the very first shattered dimension was slightly offset in time from the prime one.

I was also wondering for a while why Julius turned on Bisley during an Exodus attack, because Julius didn't seem connected to Exodus. Now it seems like it was because Elle arrived and made Julius's watch flicker. Julius apparently couldn't have been to Elle's home dimension, since the only way to get back from one is to destroy the catalyst, but he does seem to know something about it. He might have seen one like it before. I'm thinking that somehow, when Julius saw the watch flicker, he knew that Bisley had sent agents against Victor's dimension, and that prompted him to betray Bisley.

One tidbit from Julius's field logs is that the dimensional fractures are not something which showed up after the schism was dispelled, they've been around for a decade at least. That leads to the next idea: I'm thinking that Bisley (and Vera) lied to us about Victor's home dimension. They've know about that one for a long time. They also lied about not knowing what the Waymarker was. The agents who attacked Victor in the opening came from the prime dimension on Bisley's orders. That's why Victor sent Elle there, and started the whole chain of events - because otherwise they'd just keep coming for him. At the very least, that would force him to use his power, further shortening the time he would have. Elle is already starting to show symptoms. Julius must be as well.

Hold on... Victor killed his father? Who... ah... Rideaux.

If Rideaux has been working for Spirius all along, as Julius' logs said, then I think this whole debt thing was to box Ludgar into a corner and force him into working for Spirius and Bisley. Julius being named as the terrorist and Ludgar as a person of interest was also done by Bisley for the same reason.

Anyway, Elle is having a really, bad, no good, absolutely terrible week. No matter what, Ludgar just isn't Daddy and can never be Daddy.

What's the music during that boss fight?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 8, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What's the music during that boss fight?

Betting on the Last "Guide". Overall, I don't think Xillia 2 has an *awesome* soundtrack, especially since so much of it is straight from the first game, but it's not half bad. If they were given more time, they should have pulled a Dawn of the New World and rearranged all the songs from the first game + new stuff. Still, I don't think we've gotten to this game's best songs.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
that fuckin fight

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

that fuckin fight

Probably the hardest fight in the game, not least of which because there's little healing to be had in the party.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I'm surprised that the early videos are on Vimeo, since as far as I know, they don't actually allow gaming videos anymore. (There isn't even a category for them on the main page.) Those could all be lost if they find them and delete your account.

They don't say ABSOLUTELY NO GAMING like they used to, but they do say you're supposed to be posting stuff you purely created yourself so yeah, I would certainly hang onto the originals.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Polsy posted:

They don't say ABSOLUTELY NO GAMING like they used to, but they do say you're supposed to be posting stuff you purely created yourself so yeah, I would certainly hang onto the originals.

If they are deleted at some point, not a *huge* deal. All the Vimeo stuff is from the first like 3 hours of the game. Would be very annoying, but wouldn't be a thread-ender if the worst did come to pass.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
You can examine the pictures, and Jude noted that Elle's mother's name is Laura Marta. Considering the fact that Ludger has Emil's cameo costume, that's a fairly big DotNW reference.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I forgot to mention in the spoiler that Victor is both the Catalyst Host, and turning into a new one at the same time.

Junpei posted:

You can examine the pictures, and Jude noted that Elle's mother's name is Laura Marta. Considering the fact that Ludger has Emil's cameo costume, that's a fairly big DotNW reference.

Lara Mel Marta.

Which actually makes a funny ancillary story. See, Elle's mother's name is Lalle Mel Marta in the original Japanese. This is shared with a backstory-only character. So said backstory-only character would be changed to Lara as well. And this gives us Lara Lara Travis :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Wait, is Elle also starting to timeline corrupt divergence something something, or is that just the decorations you put on her?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!

Glazius posted:

Wait, is Elle also starting to timeline corrupt divergence something something, or is that just the decorations you put on her?

She's corrupting. She can't be accessorized.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

She's corrupting. She can't be accessorized.

Something to think about is that she's manifesting those symptoms after what, fifteen fractured dimensions? I haven't been counting, but I'm pretty sure Julius has crossed into more than double what Elle has. That can't be good for him.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXV: The Girl Who Hates

Exhaustion

Where's Elle?

Gods!

He spotted the black splotch on Elle's nape. The same kind of splotch that Victor had...

She's becoming a catalyst!

But why would something like that even happen?! Unless the power really is within Elle!

We're not going to figure this out here. Let's find a room in Drellin.

This skit is pretty informative as to the exact mechanics of catalysts, and how one becomes one. Basically, Ludger has been unintentionally using Elle as a tool since the beginning, ever since the train incident when Ludger began using the Chromatus. Directly using the Chromatus to transform and gain access to that power, like Victor did, will gradually turn one into a divergence catalyst.

Also, the first skit of this video is one I got during the course of recording two updates ago, but I forgot about it until now. Here you are. It pops whenever you've made the chapter 11 payment, but only in Fennmont.

So, Ludger's going to be fine, but that's...we can't exactly say the same about Elle.

But there it is: the final Waymarker of Canaan, acquired from Victor. What moves are left to make, from all the performers in this grand design, I think it's safe to say they'll be made very shortly.

But, for now, we're headed for the inn.

The longest night

Is the catalyst sickening her?

No, she's just been traumatized. I mean, she just saw her father-- Oh, sorry! I know it's not like you had a choice in the matter.

I'm worried about her and you. How are you holding up?

Putting on a brave face will raise Milla's affection, but I can take a guess how Ludger is feeling right now. Not too often you engage in a bloody duel between yourself and an alternate you from another dimension and come out emotionally unscathed.

I know how you feel. Imagine how I felt when I learned I wasn't really Maxwell, but jsut a vessel he'd created for his convenience. But remember, Ludger. No matter what, you are still you. That hasn't changed and it isn't going to. Your duty hasn't changed, either. Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on.

Is it Spirius?

He hands the phone to Jude...

"Ludger, we've confirmed the retrieval of the final Waymarker. Please proceed to Rieze Harbor in Marksburg immediately."

What's the plan?

We'll depart tomorrow. Tonight, we should rest.

A wise course of action.

Ludger made us some tasty soup.

No. I don't want it! I only want my daddy's soup and this isn't it! It's never gonna be right! Just like you're never gonna be my daddy! I want my daddy! Why'd you have to do that to him?!

Ludger rushes forward to knock the pot away, but got a nasty burn from the still-hot soup. Today just gets better and better.

Are you okay?!

Are you--

She runs off...

It'll heal in no time. Wait, you're going to make more?

*nod*

Only one thing can be on Ludger's mind at a time like this. Victor was as important to her as he was to Elle.

But...

Do whatever you need to do.

I'll help if that's all right. Your arm is still injured.

Fade to black...

All done?

*nod*

I'm sorry that I can't do more for you.

Jude doesn't want to change the subject, so L1 will increase his affection. Hey, we gotta look out for good 'ol Dr. Mathis.

*shakes head* I'm just happy knowing that a future like that might even be in the cards. It helps me believe I can do it. I can perfect spyrite technology. I was trying to cheer you up, but here you are making me feel better. You know... I think she'll understand someday.

Fade to black for a well-deserved dinner-time.

It's good. Ludger... I ran away 'cause I realized something. When somebody leaves you...when they disappear...you never get to taste their cooking again.

What's to say in a situation like this? Maybe apologizing will bring Elle back to her senses, about what Ludger had to do back there.

*shakes head* You were just protecting me, weren't you? Keeping me safe...from my daddy.

Nya.

Elle, are you okay?

Another phone call. I hope it's not--

Ludger... Hey, do you have a moment? Sorry to pester you again, but...

So, fun fact, I was playing an idol game while this scene was running and couldn't particularly focus on either choice's implication. I reached over and hit R1 in the middle of a combo, and miraculously, didn't break my combo. That's reflexes for ya.

I'm sorry. I know you do. Just doing my job.

Ludger hangs up...

Sad as it is, even at times like this, the world still marches on.

And considering our place in that world, we shouldn't expose Elle to any more danger. Rowen, can you find a safe place for Elle to stay while we see this through?

I'll see what I can come up with.

Are you leaving me behind 'cause I'm a fake?!

I wasn't as lucky this time with my idol combo. I broke it during this choice, which is why I took a bit longer than normal to choose. Went with L1 this time.

No one wants me. Even Daddy felt that way. He said he only wanted to be with...with the real Elle.

All right then. We'll take her with us.

Well, we've got another post-chapter payment period. I shouldn't have to mention the gald payment is going to be incredibly easy, thanks to Elite Monsters, AND a free 40000 gald you get just from finishing the chapter. There are a couple more skits after the above scene. In the first skit, you can raise Rowen's affection with R1, and in the second, you can learn an interesting secret about Ludger. In the second skit, R1 will raise Rowen and Alvin's affection, whereas L1 will raise Jude and Gaius'. It's a good 'un.

Alright, so, the plot says that Elle is in trouble because of Ludger's use of the Chromatus, and that's gonna be a big plot element going forward. HOWEVER, gameplay-wise, there's nothing stopping you from using the Chromatus as much as you want from this point on, just like before.

But, if you're trophy hunting, you're gonna want to not use the Chromatus more than 50 times before the end of the game. Now, the end of the game is still a fair bit off (to say nothing of the post-game content). If you're on the hunt, then once you get AN ending, you'll get another trophy for keeping the Chromatus under control.

Please note I said AN ending. That's because this is one of the very few Tales games that has multiple endings. 1 Bad Ending, 2 "Joke" endings, and 2 "Real" endings. It's pretty rad, and one of...I wanna say like 4 Tales games with multiple endings. The others are Tales of Destiny 2 (where if you won a certain fight, the game automatically ends with your dudes still happily adventuring along, instead of getting captured), Dawn of the New World (where depending on your actions / choices at various points throughout the game + your actions during the boss fight AFTER the final boss, you could get one of three endings), this game, and Tales of Zestiria (which is VERY odd. Basically at a certain point in the plot, you can find the main antagonist just chilling out in a certain field map. If you engaged and defeated him, then, well...let's just say you get the Bad Ending, but it is an ending).

And yeah, I guess Tales of Symphonia has up to 9 different endings, but that's not quite the same thing. It's like different flavors of the same ending, if you ask me.

But that's in the future. Before we get on with post-chapter 12 stuff, let's take a brief step back. This next part of the update brings us to the trail just outside of Fennmont, on the road to another Elite Monster.

In the Southwest branch, we have found our prey, namely the Krudis Eye.

Another ho-hum Elite Monster. Really nothing of worth to say about htis guy. Powerful attacks, long reach, etc. etc. nothing you haven't seen before. Though, this guy does have a tendency to get heavy stunned a lot.

That's it, though. A further survey of the area did not reveal any kitties, but we'll be back...eventually. This trail also leads to the Fennmont side of Fort Gandala, but yep...still closed.

Next order of business is the job Traces of Kinship, given by our old friend Aaron. Remember the Aaron job from way back? Me neither, but just accept the job and bring 3 Everblooms to the front of the Spirius Building.

I never thought that YOU'd be the one to go through all the trouble to get this for me.

Yep...

There's a medicine I'm developing at the facility. And I needed Everbloom to counteract some of its negative side effects. Thanks to you, my patients are going to feel a lot better. It's strange... Back when I was in school, I had such high hopes! I thought I could do anything. But once I got into the real world, I realized it's not about wishing. It's about hard work. I put all my effort into my job. It's tough, and it takes up all my time... But that's how you know it's worth it. And I can't let anything, or anyone, jeopardize that... That's why I can't welcome you back like old times...

I'm sorry, Ludger. You can hate me if you want to.

*sigh*

Oh brother. Anyway, back to the present.

Remember the Voltea Woods? It was a quiet little sylvan glenn that we briefly visited a few updates ago. One branch leads to the Old Vicalle Mine, the other leads to the Felgana Mine, which you had to go to during the course of Xillia 1's events (to get a special ore that would help with a newly wheelchair-bound Milla. Long story).

Shocking, I know, the enviornment here. Instead of normal gathering points, you'll find these kinds of rocks, where you can harvest up to three different crafting materials from them. Let's get a move on. This place isn't as big as you thought, and if you get lost, you can always use the map to find your way around.

Soon after you arrive in the next area, you'll find this well-hidden kitty. Well, well-hidden, except for the part where it loudly meows in its sleep.

After a generic battle, I got a call from Nova about payment. I was only ~19,000 over the 150,000 gald line, but hey, might as well.

So it's come to this...the end of our long journey. Sure, we've got some loose ends, but we'll take care of them in Canaan, I think. Also, the choice during this skit doesn't matter.

Hey, remember this guy from the Nala Lava Tubes? He's also hanging out in the mines for some reason, and just like his weapon shop in the Tubes, it'll only open after winning a certain difficulty level in the coliseum. We'll just have to keep him in mind for when that day arrives.

One of the easiest cats to find, assuming you ever bother coming here in the first place, and heading to the deepest part of the mine. Not even for character quests, you NEVER need to come here, but hey. Not gonna say no to more cats.

Or Elite Monsters, ripe for the killing. Let's take this guy. Hammerzamm

Yeah...he was almost killed in a single combo. I got nothing for this guy, but based on the order of his appearance in the Elite Monster list, I guess it's not that inexcusable. We really were spoiled by Victor, huh? This guy lasted for 63 seconds. Don't worry, though. We're going to be getting an awesome boss next update.

Other than that, there's a couple chests in here. One has Peak, an Earth-based Extractor, and...Beetle Legs, in the other. Well, at least we cleared out this location fast.

Other business this update includes taking down 5 Blade Beaks for the next Tatalian Abyss Hassle job. Luckily, when it says "Defeat x (monster)" it means that. So, it's not five Blade Beaks wandering around in the field, which might take a while. If you're lucky enough to have 5 of them in a single fight, like I did for this one, you can complete the job in one fight.

Turning in the above jobs, as well as several others, got me way more gald than I was thinking. So, a forced payment for goodies in Ludger's mailbox. We'll get around to it. This is about the point in the game where you start getting 10-16k for a single job. Like, I turned in ONE Beautiful Feather for 15,810 gald and 3083. merit points I like that kinda math.

But, the reason we're in Fennmont is for Alvin's fourth chapter. Yikes, that far already, huh? He's only got one more.

A troubled man

Ah, it's you. What's up?

L1 will raise Little Alvie's affection, but it's not the one I went through in this timeline.

Really? Dunno why. I'm just the same ol' Alvin.

I thought you were done with lying?

Thankfully for Alvin, a phone call.

Duty calls. Better get that.

Department of Dimensional Affairs here. I'm calling because we've detected a new fractured dimension.

Knew it. Better highttail it over that and smash that thing.

Yes. Please do.

Ha.

I've sent over the coordinates. We believe the rift is in Nia Khera. I'm counting on you.

That Vera is all business, huh?

Well, married to her job, and all...

Well, let's just hurry up and get to it.

*sigh* Yep.

A familiar fractured dimension

*nod* Over there.

Is that...

Hey, check out Presa's ring...

I think L1 goes without saying. The better question, of course, is...

Maybe? But i'm pretty sure we're supposed to destroy it. But why's Alvin with her?

This dimension... It's from the past. Me and my pals over there are about to attack Jude's group at the Nia Khera Hallowmont. Then my two companions will fall off the cliff...

If things play out the same way in this dimension, the divergence catalyst will go down with them.

Probably. We better not let them leave the city. I'll lure Presa over there. It's the only way.

How're you going to do that?

I'll just pretend to be me. Should be easy enough. Let's split up for now. Go wait at Milla's Shrine.

Be careful...

Alvin is correct about all that. The context for those three being in Nia Khera right now is that after the brouhaha on-board on the ESS Zenethra, the death of Gilland, and Milla's crossing over into the Spirit Realm (it was a busy day), Alvin and Jude ended up in Hamil, where they got into a fight. After a boss fight you (playing as Jude) could win or lose (though I lost my last time. Turns out when you're on Hard and all damage is x2, works against you), Jude's side of the party, which did not include Milla or Alvin, ended up heading to the Hallowmont to try and link up with Milla again.

Right about now, Jude's team is probably fighting Ivar and a Wyvern, who set up shop right in front of Milla's domicile. Obviously, they won, and proceeded up the mountain. Alvin did not join Presa and Agria for the battle at the summit, which, as noted before, ended with the death of those two.

Well, you can mess around in Nia Khera all you want, but we're headed to the shrine. Literally nothing of interest happened on the way there. Though, the shop here in Nia Khera has some nice weapons for Ludger, Elize, and Alvin (as well as Gaius, who I brought along for this fractured dimension), so yeah, upgrade if you have the cash and will to do so. Let's move on over to the Shrine already...

Oh, there was a skit on the way. First choice doesn't matter, but R1 on the second will raise Leia's affection.

The last farewell

Looks like I got here in the nick of time. Presa's on her way, so make yourself scarce.

Those two run off...

You changed your clothes? We're about to fight a major battle.

Yeah, well...

That's so like you, isn't it? So what is it?

The ring.

Huh?

I'm afraid I'm gonna need it back.

Smooth... But to be fair, there's no easy way to do this.

Is this a joke?

Sorry.

So everything you've said to me was a lie?

Presa, listen...

drat.

What?!

Oh boy. This is...not gonna end well. For anyone.

Oh, creepy... You have a twin brother or something?

Hell if I know.

Two Als?

Presa! That man's an imposter! Get away from him! You don't believe me?!

Idiot. The line here is, "I want you to trust me."

I told you to get away from him!

Wai--

Presa!

What are you doing you moron!

I... I didn't mean to... Don't you dare move a muscle!

Agria!

Enough! Now, who the hell are you?!

He fires again, but Ludger moves to block.

Hey, c'mon. Help her already.

Don't you--

Blah, blah, blah. I'm getting tired of this. Just shoot him already!

She's right. Let's do this.

Jesus. So, not only is Presa mortally wounded, but it's at the hands of a clearly emotionally disturbed Alvin, who has just come from fighting with his former comrades. There's no easy way out of this for anyone, but... This is a fractured dimension. It, all of its people, and its history, will be destroyed soon.

Well, although we've seen Agria in battle before, we haven't seen an enemy Alvin, except for when Alvin has been hit with Confusion, and I'm sorry, that just doesn't count. As you might expect, Alvin (Fractured) focuses on heavy, slow strikes, backed up by a considerable amount of gunfire. Even waiting for an opening is usually not good enough, because of how quickly he can switch between long and short range.

Of course, we can't forget about Agria, but she is definitely the weakest link here. I'd say focus your fire on Agria, take her out ASAP, then focus on Alvin. Alvin without any backup is asking for trouble, because his sluggish movement will afford ample opportunity to chase him down and back him into a corner.

Standard line about Power Combo MAs doing one whole hell of a lot of damage, just on their own. Actually, Leia's MA, Soulstroke Celebration, is another connection this game (will eventually) have to Tales of Zestiria. If you got the costume preorder DLC I mentioned a few updates ago, that set also included three Tales Classic Mystic Artes for Zestiria characters. One of those characters, a spearswoman known as Alisha, got Soulstroke as her Classic.

Still, even with Agria down, this fight will still take a bit, since Alvin has a lot of health and it doesn't go down quickly. Still, there's really nothing else to comment on here. Oh yeah, and if he goes into Over Limit and uses one of his Arcane Artes (indicated by a red ! above his head just before he uses it), and it connects with a character who is not blocking, he will launch his Mystic Arte, Terminus Pride. Nasty business, that.

However, it should be noted the enemy cannot launch their Mystic Artes during a Chromatus usage.

Actually, Xillia 1 Alvin went down thanks to a status effect I inflicted on him. Probably the one time this LP that'll happen. Anyway, don't see the next scene being much happier than the last...

Not again...

You still...not sure? Do you regret being with me... Do you regret our time together? I never regretted a single moment with you. Do you?

I... I don't regret it either. How could I possibly regret it at this point...

Al... When'd you get so bad at lying? Just take a moment to open your eyes. You've found your place.

Heh. Even at the end...you're still thinking about me.

L1 will give you a mondo boost to Alvin's affection, so yeah, that's what we're gonna do.

From the moment we came in here, there was no way to avoid this. Don't mind me. Do it.

*nod*

Presa, I did find my place. I won't leave.

Resolution at last

Sorry. Gonna step out for a bit. I figured it out, finally. What I gotta do.

I think even a drat fool could figure out R1 without having to say it, so we'll do our buddy a solid with L1. Whatever you gotta do.

Yeah. Anyway, I'll give our report on the fractured dimension while I'm out.

Update 25 alternate choice compilation
Update 24 / 25 victory compilation

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 17, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Polsy's already taking care of Gaius, Jude, and Elize, so now we need to decide who gets to choose the other 6...

Stabbey, why don't you take Milla, Alvin, and Leia, and alchargia, you'll cover Muzet, Ludger, and Rowen? Next update is gonna be a lot of fun to record.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Elle has every right to hate the party and Ludgar. She barely got a chance to see her father again and now he's dead and gone forever. Ludgar isn't her father and can't be. There's nothing anyone can say or do to fix that.

Amazing how this game somehow made a child character who is not only bearable but sympathetic and actually likeable.

I like the idea of limiting Chromatus usage after this point affecting the ending. It makes sense. But I bet it's hard to keep track of without a notepad.

The smug smile Ludgar has when he says he's naked in Chromatus form is great.

Also you forgot a closing italics tag before this line: L1 will give you a mondo boost to Alvin's affection, so yeah, that's what we're gonna do.

Sylphid posted:

Polsy's already taking care of Gaius, Jude, and Elize, so now we need to decide who gets to choose the other 6...

Stabbey, why don't you take Milla, Alvin, and Leia, and alchargia, you'll cover Muzet, Ludger, and Rowen? Next update is gonna be a lot of fun to record.

I don't own this game or Xillia 1, so I'm not familiar with the costume and accessory options.

EDIT: For reference, on the PC version, the Classic Mystic Artes DLC is free and separate from the costume DLC. I know this because I neither pre-ordered nor purchased any of the costume DLC and I have that one. The Classic Mystic Artes DLC is also a huge pain to pull off because it requires you to have 4 BG and be in a 50-hit combo, and it's very hard to get that high, because the timer for when a combo runs out is incredibly strict. And two of the people it's for are primary casters.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 17, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

I don't own this game or Xillia 1, so I'm not familiar with the costume and accessory options.

Here's a compilation of the accessory items

Milla has her blue and white outfit, a black color variation, a schoolgirl outfit, jacketless costume, her spirit outfit, her Xillia 1 costume, and a color variation of that, and Dhaos of course. She also has a bunch of haircuts, but the only one particularly different is her Spirit Haircut, which makes it green.

Alvin has Xillia 2 costume / variation, jacketless, casual, clean-cut, Xillia 1 / color variation / Kratos.

Leia same story, but she only has a normal / variation, no jacket, Xillia 1 / color variation.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Um... Leia in no-jacket, and she's once again (hopelessly) trying to get Jude's attention. To that end, she's put on a rose corsage and shiny new earrings. To top it off, she stole Alvin's cap, just daring someone to ask about that.

Alvin in casual, with a loincloth and because of that odd choice, he needs to wear a security badge to prove he's allowed. To get his revenge, he swiped Leia's cap too.

Milla in her black variation. She's given up trying to please Elle and wears her Tomato Badge with pride. She also got confused with what Alvin and Leia are doing and stole Rowan's glasses and Gaius' headband.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 17, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Now that Ludger has entirely ruined a child's life and murdered her father, I think it's time for the ultimate. Ludger should be in Victor's outfit, with the Pet Dragon placed inside his pelvis, tail sticking out the front. Sly Glasses and Pipe complete the set.

Muzet has developed a fascination with monster heads and is now wearing the Mandragora Head. She's also wearing Gaius's Crest, her Xillia 1 outfit, and a Shiba's Tail.

Rowen is in his regular outfit, but he has Glowing Antennae, Sideburns, and also Shadow is riding on his back because wiggly jiggly flan man.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It took a while, but I finally caught up on this thread after the Xillia 1 LP. Boy, poor Ludger and Elle.

EDIT: Is this the 3rd or 4th sequel game in the Tales series?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 17, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm... I'm looking at those numbers.

"Congratulations on saving all of existence! Unfortunately since all of existence has no monetary value you're still billions of Gald in debt."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Does the game tell you where to go for the optional character side-chapters? I mean, it must since it can't possibly expect you to visit each street in each city looking for them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Does the game tell you where to go for the optional character side-chapters? I mean, it must since it can't possibly expect you to visit each street in each city looking for them.

There's a map icon.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

You know, I was spending a good amount of time trying to think of who Bisley reminded me of and it just hit me: Archer from Fate/stay night.

Am I the only one who sees more than a passing resemblance?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's a shame you don't have Muzet's school outfit DLC, Sylphid, because it has the best attachment- an aura of 2d roses you can put around any character

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Pretty sure it was tales of Destiny 1 that had the alternate ending from winning a fight.

Maybe Tales 2 also had one.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

alcharagia posted:

It's a shame you don't have Muzet's school outfit DLC, Sylphid, because it has the best attachment- an aura of 2d roses you can put around any character

What could have been. If you can find a good picture of them, would be happy to include it in an update. Also,

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVI: The Girl Who Reveals

Even though we've taken care of Alvin's business for now, we still have Milla's fourth chapter. The chapter is located just outside of the Laforte Research Center, so let's jump on over.

Back to the past

Kinda giving away the plot here, huh?

Look, I can appreciate the predicament you were i, but don't you think you went a little overboard?

I didn't have much time. Besides, it worked. You can't argue with results.

Results? I thought I was a goner!

Well, Ludger should get caught up on this duel of the minds. Sounds like they're talking about something in the past, though.

Oh, hi, Ludger. We were just talking about old times. This city is where Milla and I first met. That was one meeting I'll never forget.

Jude has decided to nitpick my behavior on that night.

Nitpick?!

To be fair, that was a year ago, before I understood the limitations of fragile human bodies. Now that I know better, I can appreciate Jude's nitpicking. I'll be more careful in the future.

How about we just don't let anything like that happen again?

Just in time...you guessed it.

DODA here. We've detected a new fractured dimension. The rift is in Fennmont. We've sent the coordinates. Please take appropriate action.

Work call?

We'll accompany you. You scratch our back and we'll scratch yours, correct? Something wrong?

Oh, uh, it's nothing. It's just, I couldn't imagine you tossing around an expression like that back in the day.

Personally, I'd have pointed out that expression doesn't really fit this situation. No one's really doing anyone any favors here. Jude's been tagging along more or less out of the goodness of his heart since the train incident, and everyone else is following along because, you know, the fate of the Prime Dimension hangs in the balance.

But, Milla's nerdiness and her desire to try and show off what she's learned in books and from being around other humans. It's positively adorable.

I still learn new words, you know. Even now, I continue reading human books.

Case in point.

That wasn't really what I meant...but don't worry about it.

What about you, Elle? Want to come along?

*slow nod* Okay.

I still can't believe how quickly these gadgets spread from the military to civilians.

Technology moves pretty fast, doesn't it? It'd be nice if the usage fees dropped as fast, too...

Hmm. So they require a considerable expense to operate? You use precious resources just to connect with each other. How quintessentially human.

Aye. It's pretty crazy in this day and age you can send a message instantly to or interact with, basically any corner of the globe. Sitting in the outskirts of a small town in southern Iowa, I can talk with someone in Japan as easily as someone in the UK. When I play online multiplayer, I can get into a gunfight with a guy in Mexico while a guy from France or something has a rifle aimed right at the back of my head. And the medium you're using to read this right now, is what ~6000 years of human knowledge has added up to. It's staggering, frankly.

Well, once you're ready, once again we gotta take care of an alternate history. Like with most of the other fractured dimensions we've dealt with so far, the difficulty is...not great, so don't sweat who your 4th party member is.

Sounds interesting. This dude went on to speculate said Great Spirit would be turned into a weapon. Sounds like the Nachtigal we knew and loved, so he can't be the catalyst (not that he was in the previous Fennmont fractured dimension).

Ah, so it's Aska...again. Well, apparently he's being held at the Laforte Research Center, and I can't imagine he's too happy about it.

Well, there's really nothing of interest at all in Laforte, other than our destination, so we should just skip on over to the lab where the Lance of Kresnik was being constructed in the Prime Dimension. I have a feeling that's where we'll find our foul feathered fiend.

The friendly bird

Jude!

Huh?

Well, well, Jude Mathis. Long time no see! How come you've been such a stranger?

Well...this Aska sure seems a lot...friendlier, than the previous Aska we met. Status of the Prime Dimension Aska? I have no idea. He wasn't mentioned at all in Xillia 1, from what I remember.

It seems he thinks you're the Jude of this world. Just try to play along.

Um, well... I've just been so busy with my research and everything...

Aw, you poor thing. Is tha slave-driver Professor Haus still running you ragged? Perhaps I should give him a piece of my mind?

Jude's shocked expression after Aska mentions Haus should clue you in that Jude knows this person. This is correct: Haus was a professor Jude was working for before the events of Xillia 1, when his disappearance caused Jude to head to Laforte, where by chance he encountered Milla, who had come to destroy the Lance. That's how Xillia 1 started.

No, no, that'd only make it worse.

Well, let's see if Milla agrees re: samaritans.

No need to worry, Jude can handle this. Though I have to say, the nerve of this spirit ignoring the rest of us like this is a bit off putting.

Hey, I know. How about it, Jude? Would you care to tether with me again? Come on.

What? Oh! I... I'm sorry, but we can't do that anymore.

Oh really?

Milla!

It's her, isn't it?!

Well, it's been established Milla's no fan of this Aska, and I doubt Ludger has the patience of these schenanigans, so let's raise her affection with 1 preceded by L.

Easy, Ludger. No need to get him angry at you, too. Although I appreciate your support.

Oh! Look at that. She's flirting with that fellow! That foul temptress!

So this ornery avian is decidedly NOT a hard foe, just because he doesn't hit hard at all, but is very annoying, because, like the previous Aska fight, he has a wonky hitbox and flies around a lot, making it hard for the AI (or you, in many cases) to hit him.

Still, there's really nothing to this guy. It's basically the same fight we had way back in the Oscore Plant, just with stat increases on his side, but we've become vastly more powerful since then. One tip I can give you is that you only really need Power Charge 2 for this guy (he's weak to Darkness and Guns). That's because when he does his rush attack (his most common attack in the first half of the fight), after he hits the side of the field, he'll bounce back a bit to catch his breath. That counts as him "staggering", so Power Charge 2 will open up a Power Combo.

Though she's adorably nerdy, Milla takes personal slights seriously.

His most "dangerous" attack is Shining Veil, which you can easily dodge by being far away from him or...right underneath him. All in all, it's pretty rare when this thing actually hits, come to think of it.

Again, it's a fight that's dragged out just on sheer virtue of him being annoying, but if you can beat Victor and not this guy...

Mystery of Maxwell

Just who exactly are you anyway?

I am Milla Maxwell, the Lord of Spirits.

Huh? Oh, then... What happened to Maxwell, the old fart?

He's gone. I am the successor to the previous Maxwell's throne.

Heh. Well, it all makes sense now. And apparently Jude is Maxwell's new human companion.

"Human companion"? You say that like the old Maxwell had one, too.

Yes, indeed. Although their relationship went down in flames. And now both you and Jude are headed for that same ruin.

What?

I don't know my predecessor's story, but I'm certain Jude and I have a different sort of relationship.

It's all the same tale, different time! You don't need her, Jude. Believe me. You just stick with me and you will be treasured forever. I promise.

*shakes head* Aska, please, just answer this: What happened to Maxwell in the past?

.... All right, I'll tell you, only because you're so drat cute. In the past, old man Maxwell was betrayed by a human woman who's name was Milla Kresnik.

Well, that's...not something we've heard before. The name Kresnik did come up in the first game, where that name only came with the title "The Genesis Sage". Using a Lance, said Kresnik was apparently responsible for the birth of Rieze Maxia, at least according to the stories. It was all vague enough that hey, look what we have here, a little game by the title Tales of Xillia 2.

Still, though, I'm sure Milla is more interested in the fact she shares the Genesis Sage's name, and it's her chapter, so...let's raise her affection.

A human with my name betrayed the previous Maxwell?

Was this the same Kresnik as "the Genesis Sage" who first summoned Maxwell? He's actually a she?

Indeed, adn let me tell you something. There has never been another human like her. No sir. Ever since she summoned him, Maxwell became more and more fond of human beings. It even ended up putting him at odds with Chronos.

Well, let's get some information on our very old friend. Clearly, someone who has won the affection of a Great Spirit must be a unique individual.

Hmm, how should I put it? Let's just say that Milla was a woman of very little restraint. She treated the Lord of Spirits with utter lack of reverence. They were far too chummy in my opinion.

Hmmm. I suppose it rings a little similar to my relationship with Jude.

I... I sure hope you mean that in a good way.

Oh, you should've seen her! She was the complete opposite of old Maxwell in every way!

So... This Milla Kresnik from ages past and the former Maxwell had a close relationship...

...but something happened that ended up making things go sour. Something significant enough to destroy it forever.

Well, all I know is this. Things weren't pretty. Oh no, they weren't. Old man Maxwell became furious when he realized that Milla had betrayed him. But like true love, like yours truly, he couldn't forget her.

What's going on in here! Jude? What are you doing here?

Professor! Please. Allow me to explain...

It's still here!

Ludger!

What ever possessed you to bring outsiders here? I know... You're after my research data, aren't you? You're planning to steal my Howe Prize!

No comment on the last claim, but the former, well..in a manner of speaking...

That's not true! I would never do that!

Quiet! Aska, kill them! Kill all the traitors!

I don't think so. No one threatens my Jude, you hear me!

My... M-My research!

I don't think you're going to be needing it where you're going. Which is...an absolute void? Sounds about right.

Jude. It's all truly a pity. I wish we had more time together...

Aska...

Promise me that you'll take care of yourself, okay? Come tether with me again any time.

Well, he was endearing in a strange way, and Milla does agree.

Heh heh. I felt the same way. I just wish we'd had time to speak with him longer. Clearly Aska's story made an impression on you. It's written all over your face.

It is possible, right? Humans and spirits really can co-exist?

Since when did you start questioning that? You need to have more faith in yourself.

Whatever...

Hm?

What good is faith, anyway? It won't bring back Milla. Or my daddy.

Elle...

We all need to keep moving forward. If we stop, we'll just end up repeating the tragedies of the past.

She's right. I wonder what tragedy kept the previous Maxwell from moving forward?

We need to get to the bottom of that. Ludger, please let us know if you get any jobs that might shed some light on this. I'm sure we'd both want to join you.

That all is small comfort to Elle, I'm sure... Well, there are no other character chapters before the next chapter, so we'll just wrap up some loose ends in the meantime. Oh, and I got another Milla affection skit shortly thereafter.

Oh hey, lookey there. It's our old pal Zelos, and his philandering ways again. The true form of Sealed Symphonia is called Light of Symphonia, and is Rowen's best (non-Devil's Arms) weapon by far, and not just in terms of appearance.

The next stop on this not-so-exclusive tour is the Kukhar Ice Caverns, located on a branch of the Xialen Woods. The other exit is the Nala Lava Tubes, which we've already been through many moons ago.

I'm told the temperature here is below average, but damned if I can tell the difference. In any case, there's really nothing of particular interest here in the Ice Caves, but we will be coming here later. As for now, we have a Hydro Blade to vanquish.

So, for the first minute or so of this fight, I was just kicking his rear end. He could barely even move, and when he was able to begin starting to fight back, he'd block, and Alvin would Breaker him. He was shits for the birds for a while, but man did he counterattack HARD after my Chromatus usage.

While he's entirely devoid of gimmicks, his "gimmick" is having a ton of health (more than 430k on Hard), and hitting like a truck. This guy really packs a punch, and can usually drop a single character from full to KO with 2-3 attacks. Thankfully, he's really slow, so coming at him from a different direction than the AI is your best bet. He doesn't have anything like Chronos Collider from way back when that can push away everyone close to him. Oh, and he gets heavy stunned a lot.

But once you're done with Hydro, don't forget this lil' guy. Emil, huh? For the uninitiated, Emil was the protagonist of Dawn of the New World, which was the second sequel in the Tales series (Tales of Destiny 2 being the first). Now, Tales of Symphonia was a prequel to Phantasia (4000 years apart, though), so that would make DotNW perform the rare double act of being both a prequel and a sequel. Berseria, recently released in Japan, is only the second prequel in the series so far (or third, whichever).

Incidentally, going to the Wikipedia page, I find the ship in Berseria goes by the name of Van Eltia, which was also the name of the ship the Tales of Eternia party traveled on. Connections everywhere, man. One more connection? A pre-order bonus for this game gave Ludger Emil's outfit.

The rest of the Ice Caves passed entirely without anything of interest happening, so welcome to the Tulea Tundra. Totally different from the Sillea Tundra that we went to from the Lava Tubes. If you're wondering what's the deal with these places, well, after Gaius (probably) kicked the crap out of the party just before the Elympion invasion in the first game, a carpet bombing from Elympion airships separated the main cast, and they wound up in different places.

Jude, Alvin, and I want to say Elize ended up following this path, with Muzet in tow. However, she was a guest of Jude's, and was not playable at any point in the game. Milla's half of the group instead went through the Lava Tubes. Both halves the team linked up before reaching Kanbalar, I seem to recall.

And in the last area of the Tundra, a cat hidden behind a rock. That'll do it for here, though you can head on to Fezebel Marsh. There's absolutely nothing interesting on that branch of the Marsh, though.

Upon returning to Drellin, I turned in the Hydro Blade job for a whopper of a reward: 105,000 gald and 31,500 merit points. That'll do, that'll do, as far as Nova is concerned. The bonus payment threshold is 150,000, and I had more than 200k after turning in that job. Picking up that bonus gave me a Friendship Potion, two Gummy Fishies, and Alvin's Gentleman's Creed skill, which increases his stats by 5% depending on how many women are in the active party. Unless you're in the post-game, or a New Game+, that number is necessarily capped at 10%, since Ludger can never be removed from the active party unless one of those conditions are met.

I also got a silly skit shortly after where we learn there is more to Gaius than meets the eye. Next item on the agenda is a request from The Four for some Gaius Dumplings. These delightful snacks are worthy of the attention of the mighty spirits Efreet, Undine, Gnome, and Slyph. Let's see what they think of it...

Sorry to have troubled you to bring me the Gaius dumpling. Only the spirit clime of this region is stable enough for us to be able to take form.

Very well. But why did you want a Gaius dumpling in the first place?

Through Milla, we learned the joy of eating, and we were interested in trying one. We've heard too many rumors about these dumplings.

Oh? What kind of rumors?

"A delightful something, it's the Gaius dumpling! Touch it! Pet it! Eat it! Share it! Two layers of sweet, and one sour too... Just one bite and it takes hold of you! Hail the king of Sweets! All hail the King! All praises be to the Gaius dumpling!"

I hate that it's stuck in my head...

That's the song Wingul made up! I tried to make revisions to it, but he ignored my input.

"No time for rhymes, no time for puns! Get your hands on those sweet buns!"

Ludger, I think that's our cue. Give them the dumpling.

I concur. Anything to get them to stop singing that ridiculous jingle...

Fade to black for eating...

This is the richest, most decadent morsel I've ever eaten! What a perfect way to finish any meal.

Such depth of flavor! Sweet, then tart, then sweet again! And did I detect a faint hint of orange zest? Yes! YES! Is IS orange zest!

Such a substantial dessert, as well! It's rather filling for its petite size! A home without one of these is hardly a home!

This product receives my full endorsement! It's a smash!

Aw, isn't that nice to hear, Gaius?

Yes. Wonderful. But I have to ask... Is this really the reason you summoned us here?

Not entirely, no. Our true purpose lies with you, young Ludger.

There's something we must tell you, scion of Kresnik.

Along with Milla, we too have been watching you up until now. You've endured so much from Origin's Trial and now Chronos as well...

As spirits ourselves, we want to apologize. We're sorry!

*shakes head*

Please accept our apology and our regret. You've managed to display some commendable strength though, despite your small stature!

Strong-willed, yet not stubborn.

Kind-hearted, yet not so easily manipulated.

And you've got backbone! A human-sized backbone, anyway...

Milla, we trust that you will use our strength to guide Ludger and overcome Origin's Trial.

Although, I think Milla and us alone would've been enough.

Heck no! We need Ludger too!

Looks like The Four have taken a liking to you, Ludger.

Perhaps, but let's give credit where credit's due, shall we? They only like you for one reason, my boy... My dumplings, of course!

What?!

Hitting a little close to home, eh Ludger? After that scene, you also get upgraded versions of the four as separate artes for Milla. Not half bad. Gaius Dumplings are also kinda special because they're found at very hidden spots throughout Elympios and Rieze Maxia. For example, you can find a Gaius Dumpling on Bisley's desk, but that little treasure hunt (you need 4 for the above scene), is made moot by the fact you can also get them via Kanbalar Kitty Dispatch.

Well then, it's almost time for the Main Event. I got another skit in Marksburg after I had arrived (L1 for Milla and Muzet+, R1 for Elize and Leia+), but the Rieze side of Marksburg is where we begin this next chapter. One of the shortest chapters in the game, actually, but that's, uh...that's not to say nothing happens in it.

Gathering of the Waymarkers

Leia and Elize go over to be with Elle...

Rowen brought me up to speed.

I'd tell you to cheer up, but I'm guessing that dog won't hunt right now, will it?

*shakes head*

A phone call... Though, apparently it's a text message, as Muzet leans over Ludger's shoulder to read it.

"We have confirmed your arrival. Arrange the Waymarkers of Canaan into a five-pointed star." It creeps me out how they always know where we are.

What do we do?

So what happens if we arrange the Waymarkers?

Perhaps when brought together, they form a map to the Land of Canaan?

One way to find out. After all, you and Ludger were the ones who gathered them.

Uh...sure.

Surprisingly, neither choice matters, but hey. Elle needs all the pep she can get these days.

I can put 'em down, but how am I supposed to arrange 'em?

*nod*

Hey look, check it out. I did it!

*nod*

For some reason, Elle's last line stays for a long time on-screen.

Hey, Ludger... You and Daddy are, like, the same person, right? Do you not want me because I'm the fake Elle? Like Daddy didn't want me?

Ludger! Up there!

The Promised Land

Oooh, an anime movie. Last one we saw was...Bisley getting on the train, close to the very start of the game.

Milla!

drat you, Origin... I cannot believe that you hid it there!

It's a...fetus inside a moon?

Yep...we've found a place crazy enough to Canaan. Though, we drat well better have found Canaan, given how long we've been working to this very goal. This video is a long one, but a very good one. Chrono Storm

Is that...the Land of Canaan?!

You have gotta be kidding me.

No. This is no joke.

Who would have thought that the Waymarkers were the means to summon Canaan?

Now that we know where to find it, how do we get ourselves there?

Have Muzet blast it out of the sky!

Well, aren't you a violent little thing.

How 'bout an airship?

Chronos!

So that is Chronos.

Yep. No way was he gonna leave us alone and let us get to Canaan without doing something about it. Remember, he really, really wants humanity to fail the Trial. If they can't get to Canaan, well, party's over.

*gasp*

I never dreamt you'd get all the Waymarkers. I wasted too much time dealing with the seeker.

He tosses Julius to the ground...

Just give up, Ludger. You can't beat him.

You should heed your own advice, human, lest you wish to become a divergence catalyst.

All those catalysts we've encountered... It wasn't you creating them?

All I did was grant the power of the chromatus to the scions of Kresnik. Catalysts are the result of those Kresniks surrendering to their desires and abusing their power. Strange how you never realized that, even as you condemned dimensions as false and destroyed them. Tell me, how exactly did you determine the real from the false? Humans are naught but simpering fools. No need to wait for Origin's Trial to tell me that.

Aaaaaagh! Ludger! Run!

You can't! Glasses guy is in trouble!

There's a series of flashbacks to when Ludger used the Chromatus, and its effect on Elle, while Ludger replays the "abusing their power" line...

He's got a point, but we have to do something. We can't use the Chromatus without hurting Elle, but we can fight back. So long as Ludger's group can draw breath, they'll fight back.

But Chronos made short work of him...

Why doesn't he transform already?!

You have to stop using the chromatus!

Stubborn creatures, to the end.

But Julius, too, was no match.

And foul beyond reckoning!

Everybody! Run!

What are those?!

Elle!

No, Ludger! Stay back!

Aaaaahhh!

Shield artes?!

Couldn't handle all of us?

Were you the only ones who dodged them? How pathetic.

We've gathered the Waymarkers! Tell us how to enter Canaan!

For the sake of mankind?

No, for man and spirit alike!

That's what you said when you made the schism. How many times must you repeat the same mistakes?

I intend to atone for them, even if it takes me the rest of time!

A clash, and they bounce away from each other...

You leave me no choice, but to hurl you headlong into the abyss!

You tried that once, and it didn't work out. Gonna need some new material, I think.

(This might graze the slowpokes. I'll just make sure to apologize later!)

Thankfully Ludger heard that...

Surprise!

An explosion, but Chronos was clearly not amused...

Maxwell's shoddy creation is trying to be clever!

Well, well... Aren't you a durable one. (How could he have survived that?!)

It's time you learned some things in this world are truly indestructible!

Gaius starts us off by declaring "No, there is one thing you will never break... My will!", which is quite true. Once Gaius' fighting spirit is awakened, neither man nor god can stop him lightly, and it's been a long time since Chronos met us on the field of battle. We will teach him to feel pain again.

Well, Chronos has all the same tricks he had when we last met him. All the classic Dhaos moves, Tetra Assault / Spell, Chronos Collider, a simple swiping attack, and he's got some new gags for us. Meet the Chronos Bits, those weird circle things he had at the end of the cutscene. These cute little guys will float around and shoot lasers at you. However, they do not have much health. This is good for you.

The bad news? They are invincible. You can drop them down to 1 HP, but they'll never cross that line into the land of the dead. You'll just have to deal with them, and Chronos, for the duration of this fight. Unfortunately, he'll frequently link up with one of the Bits, and that'll prevent you from getting good Combos in. There's really not much to say about Chronos that I didn't cover last time. You really need to avoid Tetra Spell with fast sidestepping, and chipping away at him with Power Combos, as good as you can make them. It's all a matter of outlasting him.

Once he drops low enough, the battle will fade to black...

You are about to learn a fatal lesson about what kind of spirit I am.

You'll find we know...

More than you think!

Man! This guy doesn't go down easy, huh?

Where'd his wounds go?!

He can heal so quickly!

Why bother with healing when you can reverse time itself?

Reverse time?! But that only mean--

Indeed... I am Chronos. Master and Great Spirit of Time.

Sounds like someone's looking forward to getting his rear end kicked again. You may be able to make the previous round a wash, but we're not done yet, either. Chronos gets on his fancy portable throne to continue this fight, and he adds Chronos Laser (rounding out the Dhaos classics). He also has some close-range defenses on the back, where the Bits that are stuck on the throne will fight back if anyone gets close (with only short-range lasers, though). He also has...

His...Mystic Arte. It *really* hurts, and hits the entire field, or thereabout. Very deadly, especially since his Arcane Arte, Chronos Laser, will hit a wide area, just because it sweeps around.

When he drops to half health or thereabouts, he'll try to reverse time again. It's...not exactly subtle when he attempts this. Trouble is, how do we stop him?

By throwing his "gift" right back in his face. The Chromatus will interrupt his healing schenanigans and force him to fight legit. From here on in, it's mostly the same story about what to do. Watch the hell out when he goes into Over Limit and Chronos Laser, wait until he starts attacking to begin your own Power Combo, outlast the sucker.

The last real gag in his bag of tricks is Cage of Torment, which has a high chance of inflicting Confusion on any number of your dudes caught in said cage. Sometimes it won't do a drat thing, sometimes you'll really take it on the chin. Aside from that, he'll also detach one of the Bits, and attempt to use Chain Strike (his incantation starts with "Arms of Ouroborus", like before), but it's still as pathetic a spell as before.

That was a rough one, that's for drat sure... But we're still standing.

One final note for this update is that this fight has the honor of being the only storyline boss battle you can lose and still continue the game. As long as you get to the second part, after Chronos heals himself, you can continue like normal even if you get wiped out. To hell with that, though.

Update 26 alternate choice compilation

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 24, 2017

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I heartily endorse everyone check out the Aska videos. He's a hoot to listen too.

Canaan up there is the designation of the Prime. It only exists in the Prime. Any Fractured Dimensions that acquire all five waymarkers, like Victor's, don't get a trip to the giant baby in the sky.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
You know who's an idiot? Me. I spend more than an hour recording post-chapter stuff when I find I didn't record a drat thing.

At least I have my alternate playthrough so I'm not completely SOL but drat, what a waste.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Let's see if we can push this to the next page.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Even on broadband this thread is painful to load, so I'm helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sylphid posted:

You know who's an idiot? Me. I spend more than an hour recording post-chapter stuff when I find I didn't record a drat thing.

At least I have my alternate playthrough so I'm not completely SOL but drat, what a waste.

This is why I have a hundred different saves for Xillia 1.

• Locked thread