Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(Whew, that took a while to catch up after reaching the end of Xillia 1's LP. Probably too much for me to recap.)

I'm surprised that the early videos are on Vimeo, since as far as I know, they don't actually allow gaming videos anymore. (There isn't even a category for them on the main page.) Those could all be lost if they find them and delete your account.

Glazius posted:

All of this feels unnecessarily sad. Seeing how things had gone differently and just going around ending worlds like we're the final boss.

... maybe we ARE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Early on, I caught the early little hints suggesting that Elle's father was Julius, but after a while, and as more clues popped up, those began to feel like red herrings, to try and make the audience think that they're clever by catching them. So I looked for the twist beyond the twist, which would be that it was Ludgar who was Elle's father (somehow). With all the dimension fuckery, I wasn't entirely sure how that would work, but it seemed like a good bet. I was thinking more like time travel than the dimensions being offset in time from the prime one, but I guess that's kinda the same thing. I should have considered time offsets - after all the very first shattered dimension was slightly offset in time from the prime one.

I was also wondering for a while why Julius turned on Bisley during an Exodus attack, because Julius didn't seem connected to Exodus. Now it seems like it was because Elle arrived and made Julius's watch flicker. Julius apparently couldn't have been to Elle's home dimension, since the only way to get back from one is to destroy the catalyst, but he does seem to know something about it. He might have seen one like it before. I'm thinking that somehow, when Julius saw the watch flicker, he knew that Bisley had sent agents against Victor's dimension, and that prompted him to betray Bisley.

One tidbit from Julius's field logs is that the dimensional fractures are not something which showed up after the schism was dispelled, they've been around for a decade at least. That leads to the next idea: I'm thinking that Bisley (and Vera) lied to us about Victor's home dimension. They've know about that one for a long time. They also lied about not knowing what the Waymarker was. The agents who attacked Victor in the opening came from the prime dimension on Bisley's orders. That's why Victor sent Elle there, and started the whole chain of events - because otherwise they'd just keep coming for him. At the very least, that would force him to use his power, further shortening the time he would have. Elle is already starting to show symptoms. Julius must be as well.

Hold on... Victor killed his father? Who... ah... Rideaux.

If Rideaux has been working for Spirius all along, as Julius' logs said, then I think this whole debt thing was to box Ludgar into a corner and force him into working for Spirius and Bisley. Julius being named as the terrorist and Ludgar as a person of interest was also done by Bisley for the same reason.

Anyway, Elle is having a really, bad, no good, absolutely terrible week. No matter what, Ludgar just isn't Daddy and can never be Daddy.

What's the music during that boss fight?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 8, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

She's corrupting. She can't be accessorized.

Something to think about is that she's manifesting those symptoms after what, fifteen fractured dimensions? I haven't been counting, but I'm pretty sure Julius has crossed into more than double what Elle has. That can't be good for him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Elle has every right to hate the party and Ludgar. She barely got a chance to see her father again and now he's dead and gone forever. Ludgar isn't her father and can't be. There's nothing anyone can say or do to fix that.

Amazing how this game somehow made a child character who is not only bearable but sympathetic and actually likeable.

I like the idea of limiting Chromatus usage after this point affecting the ending. It makes sense. But I bet it's hard to keep track of without a notepad.

The smug smile Ludgar has when he says he's naked in Chromatus form is great.

Also you forgot a closing italics tag before this line: L1 will give you a mondo boost to Alvin's affection, so yeah, that's what we're gonna do.

Sylphid posted:

Polsy's already taking care of Gaius, Jude, and Elize, so now we need to decide who gets to choose the other 6...

Stabbey, why don't you take Milla, Alvin, and Leia, and alchargia, you'll cover Muzet, Ludger, and Rowen? Next update is gonna be a lot of fun to record.

I don't own this game or Xillia 1, so I'm not familiar with the costume and accessory options.

EDIT: For reference, on the PC version, the Classic Mystic Artes DLC is free and separate from the costume DLC. I know this because I neither pre-ordered nor purchased any of the costume DLC and I have that one. The Classic Mystic Artes DLC is also a huge pain to pull off because it requires you to have 4 BG and be in a 50-hit combo, and it's very hard to get that high, because the timer for when a combo runs out is incredibly strict. And two of the people it's for are primary casters.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 17, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Um... Leia in no-jacket, and she's once again (hopelessly) trying to get Jude's attention. To that end, she's put on a rose corsage and shiny new earrings. To top it off, she stole Alvin's cap, just daring someone to ask about that.

Alvin in casual, with a loincloth and because of that odd choice, he needs to wear a security badge to prove he's allowed. To get his revenge, he swiped Leia's cap too.

Milla in her black variation. She's given up trying to please Elle and wears her Tomato Badge with pride. She also got confused with what Alvin and Leia are doing and stole Rowan's glasses and Gaius' headband.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 17, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Does the game tell you where to go for the optional character side-chapters? I mean, it must since it can't possibly expect you to visit each street in each city looking for them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
:stare: Didn't see that coming.

So, uh, I think I know a good new business Alvin could start up which is sure to make him a buttload of money:

a laundry service.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Huh. I had guessed that Rideaux was Julius and Ludger's father, but at that time I hadn't seen Biesley had a Chromatus.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Sylphid posted:

He's still my handmaid. I don't recall ever dismissing him from the position.

Really? Why not? No, seriously, he's utterly terrible.

I'm betting that whoever stayed behind to fight is going to be in no shape to accompany us to Caanan.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
You missed transcribing a couple of lines from the video after:

Jude: Never mind me!

and

Millia: I'm...sorry.

Sylphid posted:

One of my projects today was to figure out how many times I failed the Bad End fight, and, reasonably sure in my measurement, it is nothing short of scandalous. So, let's play a little game while I'm working on Part XXX. Whosoever guesses most closely the number of times I attempted that fight (including the time I won) gets to choose the entire party's fashion line-up the next time I'm changing outfits.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
At a certain point, when you add in enough melodrama, it stops feeling authentic and starts becoming comical. "You must murder your brother to go to the promised land!" on top of all the other melodrama is going too far. You can see the writers hands on the dagger. It's tiring at this point and it makes me stop wanting to care.

And Novas appearance for comic relief/dagger twisting? Really? That... no.

As for the Zestiria fight, I was only on Normal, but I found setting the AI to defend/retreat while I spammed Trinity Arrow (it hits the enemy weakness) or Crown Fire (juggles the enemy) worked very well. (Not pretending that would work well on Chaos, just saying that's how I did it.) I never did get good using the Earth Armitization stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Why is there a fractured dimension with no story or alt-dimension crap at all, just a single random monster? It’s like the writers were too tired and didn’t care anymore.

"I believe humans and spirits can co-exist peacefully. And to prove it, I'm going to beat you up!"

Hot take, it turns out that history's greatest scientist turns out to be a horny creep. Color me shocked.

I thought Jude was dumb before. But now there is proof. What’s wrong with him? His big breakthrough is “maybe we shouldn’t be trying to control Spyirites but cooperating with them?” Hello? Isn’t that literally what YOUR ENTIRE loving CULTURE is about? Jude is FROM Rieze Maxia - it’s not even like Jude’s an Elympion and new to the whole concept.

Ah ha ha Bunnykins is made from poached monster fur? SNORT. Seriously, knock off the ridiculous melodrama, game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've chosen some accessories, but I am not familiar with what outfits Elize has to go with them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay... Elize will wear her White Blazer, Elle's Cap, Julius's glasses, and Gaius's crest.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So I guess being a little girl means being impaled by Biesely's spear does nothing at all? Because she sure seemed to shrug off a half-foot blade through her body.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Rgh. I don't know. I've had way too much winter stuff to deal with. Someone else pick something.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yep, that was great. It was probably a bit of a dick move to punish all the boys BEFORE they did anything wrong, but I guess they were genre savvy and decided that this would just save time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I admire the game by not giving an easy cop-out answer so you can have your cake and eat it too (stupid phrase, I know). Although then again, this game loves adding over-the-top sadistic memodrama, which can be a bit tiring.

Great job with the LP, thanks for showing it off.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So are you going to do those Xillia 1 updates you promised, wdarkk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

wdarkk posted:

: If that's what you're after, why not Teepo?
He's got the same shape and texture as a punching bag.
: Now that you mention it, he does look like he's just right for punching.
: Hold still, Teepo.
: Uh... Uh...

At long last, Teepo finds his True Purpose in life.

• Locked thread