Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Are there still people out there who think the JMS run was bad? Crazy world we live in.

My opinion of it has lowered significantly since I have been diving into the original run on Marvel Unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So all the way to "Final Chapter"? I dunno if I want to go through the whole Clone Saga...

I'll get into the JMS run at some point for sure, I really want to see Peter's life as a teacher and stuff, but for now I want to focus on the original run with literally hundreds of issues before I tap out on Spidey for a bit.

I'll be honest the clone saga is a bit of a mess, but it has some good stuff scattered throughout.

The biggest thing you may find annoying is they so not have the complete Peter Parker, Spetacular Spider-Man run up yet and that ties into Amazing a couple of times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I coulda sworn that was one of the other titles. Sensational Parker-man or whatever.

Nope. The canceled all the books and then launched Chapter One and a month later Amazing and Peter Parker. Mackie wrote both of those, Byrne drew Amazing, JR Jr drew PP.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mr Hootington posted:

I'll be honest the clone saga is a bit of a mess, but it has some good stuff scattered throughout.

The biggest thing you may find annoying is they so not have the complete Peter Parker, Spetacular Spider-Man run up yet and that ties into Amazing a couple of times.

Eh, I guess that's fair, plus knowing the story behind it will help.

So outside of Mackie/Byrne after it gets rebooted there isn't really anything to avoid in the original run? just read the whole thing 'till it ends and hope that issues of the spin-off titles it connects to are also up?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So outside of Mackie/Byrne after it gets rebooted there isn't really anything to avoid in the original run? just read the whole thing 'till it ends and hope that issues of the spin-off titles it connects to are also up?

After Byrne leaves the books are a mess for years. They don't really recover until Big Time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I would say read it all. The biggest problem you will have is burn out so think of another series you will want to read. It really is astonishing to see how little of it was absolutely horrible story wise. Art can dip into eldritch horror territory during the '90s.

Also annuals are not all up yet, but the biggest annual stories are up so not much to worry about there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

After Byrne leaves the books are a mess for years. They don't really recover until Big Time.

So you hated the Jenkin's run, jms, and brand new day? It was not good until Slott was the sole writer?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

So you hated the Jenkin's run, jms, and brand new day? It was not good until Slott was the sole writer?

Jenkins never wrote on Amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I meant BND sorry. It's been a long rear end day. Everything from Identity Crisis until Back in Black is very meh. JMS has a good first arc and that's about it. It returns to poo poo at Big Time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Jenkins never wrote on Amazing.

I thought he was talking about the entire spider-man line. I remember Jenkin's having a pretty good Peter Parker run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At that point I did say "books" and I stand by it. Sure Jenks has some bright spots but Spider-man as a property is pretty bad for a long rear end time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he was talking about the entire spider-man line. I remember Jenkin's having a pretty good Peter Parker run.

If he is my mistakeThe other Spider-Mans are not completely up on MU yet and this started as Amazing chat:

Same with DD and Punisher. :arghfist:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah sorry guys my irrational hatred of Back in Black and it's weaksauce ending overtook me.

Edit: Seriously, you make a huge deal out of Pete putting the black suit back on because he's going to kill someone but then he pusses out but not before the Kingpin ransacks his own jail cell and there's somehow enough rolls of hidden cash to fill a giant loving sack so he can bribe the guards into not interfering with his fist fight with the guy who's beaten up the Hulk in the past.

Edit 2: and let's not forget this isn't even the first time Aunt May is dying but no wait that was a loving actress because gently caress you we can't even admit that the clone saga existed for even a second except no wait it's 5 years later the Clone Saga totes did happen.

Edit 3: Or haha how about that time the Green Goblin tells Peter that he almost called himself "Mister Coffee." drat it Jenkins what the christ were you thinking.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 27, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Back in Black is so sad because you know the writers were basically forced into a corner by what they knew was coming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Back in Black is so sad because you know the writers were basically forced into a corner by what they knew was coming.

I loving hate it so much. They promised us at the retailer summit that the black costume had a real purpose, that Peter put it on because he knew he was going to kill the person who tried to kill May. And then they change it to "Oh he's wearing black because he's in mourning except she didn't die but it's okay you totally mourn people before they die it's totally natural."

And then he fights the Kingpin in the middle of a cellblock with no shirt.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It totally has nothing to do with the movie that is coming out where he has the black costume

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It totally has nothing to do with the movie that is coming out where he has the black costume

Hey, it's not my fault they tried to pull some loving bullshit movie synergy.

It also doesn't excuse that stupid giant sack of money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

It was solid during JMS now it's a mess as they really don't know what to do with the guy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

I loving hate it so much. They promised us at the retailer summit that the black costume had a real purpose, that Peter put it on because he knew he was going to kill the person who tried to kill May. And then they change it to "Oh he's wearing black because he's in mourning except she didn't die but it's okay you totally mourn people before they die it's totally natural."

And then he fights the Kingpin in the middle of a cellblock with no shirt.

To be fair, the fight where he kicks the complete and total poo poo out of Kingpin was awesome. Also it did end with him saying 'I AM going to kill you, but only when May actually dies.' Of course, then Satan intervened. I've seen people say that if not for OMD, Back In Black was the setup for Peter Parker's last stand from ASM 500.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 27, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dunno how everyone else found it but as the parent of a 3 week old baby Spiderwoman #5 was pretty loving amazing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

David Michelinie's run is a bit of a mixed bag (though it was a really long one - second longest run on Amazing after Stan Lee until Dan Slott overtook him).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dunno how everyone else found it but as the parent of a 3 week old baby Spiderwoman #5 was pretty loving amazing

Congrats! :glomp:

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
So, I'm thinking of jumping back into comics after taking a couple of years off (I stopped buying comics when Secret Warriors ended. (Goddamn, how good was Secret Warrirors?)) I have Marvel Unlimited and I'm catching up.

Generally, my tastes line up with BSS and I'm thinking of picking up 5 books a month. Any suggestions?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MonsterWalk posted:

So, I'm thinking of jumping back into comics after taking a couple of years off (I stopped buying comics when Secret Warriors ended. (Goddamn, how good was Secret Warrirors?)) I have Marvel Unlimited and I'm catching up.

Generally, my tastes line up with BSS and I'm thinking of picking up 5 books a month. Any suggestions?
1) BSS does not really have unified tastes so it might be useful to describe what you like about comics or at least more examples than one to allow people to give better recommendations.
2) To clarify, are you looking to start buying current weekly books in addition to the back catalog on Unlimited? If so, are these limited to Marvel, or are you accepting recommendations across publishers? Is it the "new monthly book I can follow along" thing important, or could it be something from the past couple of years you may have missed? Or is this more of a "what All New All Different Marvel should i read?"

All of these questions are asked solely so you can get better suggestions and avoid two straight pages of lists with no elaboration and "IF YOU'RE NOT READING MODOK WACKY RACES STRAIGHT UP KILL URSELF"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Ultimates #6 was so good. Ewing reads a lot of stuff and really brings a lot of different writers ideas into this book. Thanos coming back, now in love with non-existence/nothingness instead of Death is brilliant. Eternity in chains by some unknown force, brilliant.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MonsterWalk posted:

Here are my five post-2010 comics to try: Follow Jonathan Hickman from Secret Warriors into Fantastic Four (then later on, Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity/Secret Wars), Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender, Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron, Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, and Daredevil by Mark Waid :)

e: Or do you mean you want five current comics to follow?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone in BSS loves Nextwave so you should totes read Nextwave.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here is a handy guide to understanding the trademark BSS recommendation style.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Start with James Tynion's Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think Fear Itself is good. You should read it. And every single tie-in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No way, as far as events go, you can't beat Age of Ultron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actually the majority of BSS does like Nextwave since it's a well written, beautifully drawn and very enjoyable series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't believe Rhyno hates Nextwave and is using it as a sarcastic recommendation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe Rhyno hates Nextwave and is using it as a sarcastic recommendation.

I don't hate it. The OP has gone on record a hundred times that it's poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress YOU FOR LIKING IT though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

I don't hate it. The OP has gone on record a hundred times that it's poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress YOU FOR LIKING IT though.

More likely he wrote a 50,000 word thesis, containing biographically relevant information on everyone involves, fully sourced quote from leading scholars on the matter and a link to the mythbusters episode where they "bust" they myth of it being good.

The next post after that was "Nextwave is good." and was majorly agreed with.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
loving finally, I was worried when this thread made it six pages without a good old fashioned BSS pissing match.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaybackJack posted:

More likely he wrote a 50,000 word thesis, containing biographically relevant information on everyone involves, fully sourced quote from leading scholars on the matter and a link to the mythbusters episode where they "bust" they myth of it being good.

The next post after that was "Nextwave is good." and was majorly agreed with.

You forgot about the bibliography of the creators that fully details how they lick goats.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You forgot about the bibliography of the creators that fully details how they lick goats.

Those are inferences made by a few angry nerds based on twitter comments and have never been fully substantianted. If you can find one single reference of anything posted by the creator where in he details the exact sequence of events from tongue to goat, I'll include it. Until then, it's hearsay and has no place in a reputable internet discussion.

Mr. Maltose posted:

loving finally, I was worried when this thread made it six pages without a good old fashioned BSS pissing match.

I tease. I like E&C but we did just go through this at the end of the last thread so some ribbing is in order.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mr. Maltose posted:

Did you already forget the callout/response from the first page? The piss, it is everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let's be real that didn't even register because it was two posts and a mod sensibly stepping in. I'm not going to be the one to devalue the BSS piss brand.

• Locked thread