Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Rucka's run was super boring and Rachel was a weak-rear end character. The best thing she did was get verbally smacked by Daredevil one time.

And set up that Spider-Man joke.

Lurdiak posted:

I've gotten super annoyed with the perfect grim specter of death Ennis wrote him as who never makes a mistake and never breaks and is smarter than everyone and always kills the bad guys no matter what.

Ennis' Punisher did accidentally kill an innocent girl once when he drugged a bunch of people at a slaver's place and she fell face first into her soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wanderer posted:

She didn't die and nothing in that sequence is meant to make you think she did.

Huh. It's been a long time since I read it but I could have sworn she did. Cool.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
His Punisher was really great early on, but it burned out and I dropped it before it finished. Too bad, because it was loving amazing when it started.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't remember the racism and the military/police bro-ing sucked. Also, I liked the mask a lot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I really like Blindspot. I hope he sticks around permanently as Daredevil's sidekick.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Start with James Tynion's Red Hood and the Outlaws.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No way, as far as events go, you can't beat Age of Ultron.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't believe Rhyno hates Nextwave and is using it as a sarcastic recommendation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Today I learned Turner D. Century's birth name was not in fact Turnder D. Century, and I am so disappointed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Plus SHIELD themselves are morally in the negative right now. They're not exactly GI Joe anymore. Suffice to say being a good guy is not sufficient reason for them to not gently caress with you. Hell, OG Nick Fury would have splattered Spider-Man's brains across Manhattan if not for a random gut instinct.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Beyond all the "here is why SHIELD might be suspicious of the individual team members" they're also running loving AIM.

I mean, if the ten best dudes you know all got together and took over the KKK, even if you know all ten of them are great dudes who would never do anything wrong or hateful, you still have to be concerned about the thousand dudes standing behind them in white robes saying "sure, boss, you betcha, no more hate, nothing but charity work and soup kitchens from now on, you got it!"

That's also assuming they aren't mind controlled into being the public face and bad guys are still at the helm behind the scenes. That's gotta be everyone's first guess.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
A lot of writers really dropped the ball with the "morally gray" idea and just made the pro-registration side straight up super nazis. But the ironic thing is, Frontlines specifically was written by a pro-registration writer. I don't remember who it was but going by what happens in it I'm going to guess...Tom Clancy?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The idea was supposed to be that they were making hard, practical decisions, realpolitik and all, but as presented they don't come across as any better than, say, Ra's al Ghul wanting to murder 95% of humanity for the good of the planet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As bad as Liefeld's Cap was, I'm gonna stick up for his replacing the A with a falcon, which pissed people off so much back then. It looks way better and even if the rest was a screaming dumpster fire Marvel should have kept that, and also gotten rid of the wings at the same time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The only hero who looks good with a letter on his costume is Superman. An eagle makes for a better emblem than a dude waling around with a big A for America on his forehead. Liefeld's anatomy may be atrocious but he's got a good imagination for design.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Little Mac posted:

Heroes Reborn Cap's eagle should've been given to USAgent.

USAgent sucks, though. I mean, so did Heroes Reborn Cap, but my whole point is that it shouldn't have been wasted.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
His original story was good but now it feels like he just exists for the sake of existing, because comics are a clusterfuck of call backs and revivals and nothing can be forgotten or ended. He doesn't have the staying power or appeal of Beta Ray Bill, for instance. Should have just had a redemptive death at the end of his tenure as Cap and been done with it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Double post

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't say anything from the past was bad, just that I don't see any other reason for Walker to still around.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's Hammer and Eve not Axe and Steve

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Great, yet another minority reduced to Hero-B.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

I don't want to sound cynical, but this was totally inevitable.

Yeah that's the problem, Marvel will make a big deal about how Big Name is now not a white male for a quick boost in sales but they don't actually care about representation and will bring back Vanilla Classic as soon as the novelty wears off.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No one(by which I mean the mainstream public) cared about Captain Marvel or Miss Marvel until Carol and Kamala, and even geeks mostly know the original as "that guy who got cancer in the seventies". I really doubt there's gonna be a guy nostalgic for all those classic not-death-related Mar-Velle stories that totally exist who's gonna come back and Barry Allen/Hal Jordan him.

Plus, Carol is getting the movie. The girl Marvels are definitely safe and from here on Mar-Velle is basically Abin Sur.

But really, the problem I'm complaining about is two characters sharing the same name together, because it's a weak token effort and the minority in the situation will never be on the same footing as the original when their still runninga round sharing the title. It's literally a manifestation of "separate but equal".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They were clearly referring to Gordon being a ginger.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

And if your argument is that "well the white guy is still around as the character so it's inherently unequal" then you're arguing that legacy characters can't exist in Marvel, basically.

They could if the Big Two weren't overly reliant on a particular stable of characters, forever ensuring the status quo. I'm not saying the entire comics industry should move in real time and truly commit to permanent change, but that leads into my next point:

Toxxupation posted:

Peter Parker and Steve Rogers are two excellent characters (and in the latter's case, probably a better character on the whole than Sam Wilson even if Sam makes for a more interesting Cap). We are not worse off because they are still putting on the suit and have books about them

I agree! So why not introduce new minority characters on their level(or raise existing ones up) instead of bothering with a bullshit legacy everyone knows isn't going to really last? Because that takes more effort than temporarily making already hyper popular icons minorities for the publicity. It's like corporate ally behavior at it's fakest.

These heroes are never going to come close to the widespread appeal and popularity of their white male counterparts, much less in marketing, movies, and merchandising. They are sad token piecemeals.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 28, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

And yet I still don't think ANW has caused anyone to look at Laura as "the new Wolverine" versus just "X-23 wearing an old Wolverine costume".

Exactly my point, thank you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Doomsaying would be predicting they wouldn't last, but I gave Sam Wilson a chance and had hope he might actually take Cap's place permanently given his position in the MCU. They have undergone doom, past tense. Doom has happened. They aren't literally even legacy characters if the guy their the legacy of is right there.

Die Laughing posted:

Cool. Now tell me the Marvel character with wide appeal that was created after the 60's not named Wolverine or Punisher. Nova? Ghost Rider?

They put in the legwork for Captain Marvel because they needed a Wonder Woman for their token girl movie. Putting more non-white guys front and center-truly front and center, not just starring in the latest fly by night incarnation of the barely read by the general public anyway comic-could be done if they really wanted to.

Toxxupation posted:

Because nobody gives a loving poo poo about Power Man, Blue Marvel or Spectrum, despite the latter two being two of the strongest characters in the universe. You know just as well as I do that introducing some brand new hero with a brand new title and then suddenly going "they're just as strong and as important as captain America" is an idea that flatly will not work. Their race is completely unimportant, the fact that marvel decides to randomly push some brand new character as some phenomenal cosmic power is an idea that will explode in the hanger. I have somewhat serious doubts this Mosaic thing is gonna work and they're pushing that idea real loving hard.

People give a poo poo about spider-man and captain America and Thor and even ms marvel in a way that they just don't about blue marvel or spectrum or prodigy or power man or white tiger or Karolina Dean or Hazmat. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. The way Marvel is attempting to push up jane foster and miles morales and Sam Wilson, by allowing them to be three of the main superheroes that everybody knows and cares about, is the exact way to make a more inclusive and progressive atmosphere in comics.

See above.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 28, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

Let's look at the racial makeup of the current avengers roster.

White dude, robot, white woman, Muslim middle eastern teen girl, half-Hispanic teen boy, black/Hispanic teen boy, black dude

How the gently caress is that not putting non-white guys front and center.

Because it's a minuscule percentage of the impact Marvel leaves on popular culture. Who's in all the movies and on all the back packs and lunch boxes? Marvel could afford to print the Avengers book as a series of blank pages every month if they wanted.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As someone who would have been killed by the Nazis several times over, the "Nazi Cap" outrage was loving ridiculous.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, to be fair, while I don't think Nick Spencer would go for Cap/Bucky, even if he did he probably wouldn't be allowed to, and that's the problem imo. I don't see their relationship as romantic either though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

He shouldn't be allowed to whether he wanted to or not. Because it would be a really bad and gross decision.

As if comics have never been really bad and gross. I agree with you but that's not the reasoning Marvel would use. Marvel keeps Steve a straight white man because they don't want Steve being anything else, regardless of who he'd be paired with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

But the problem is, as pointed out when this this was trending on twitter or whatever, the whole campaign is completely disingenuous. It wasn't people wanting Cap to just be gay. It was people specifically wanting Cap and Bucky to be a couple. And not even based on the comics, just because of the movie. The same people would likely be just as mad if Cap was gay and not with Bucky. Because that's what they want in the movie.

I also agree with that. Neither side is blameless, I'm just pointing out Marvel isn't perfect and have mishandled this kind of stuff over the years. Also, as Metalshark and that article pointed out, the queerbaiting that went on in the SW issue sucked and was more briefly giving token acknowledgment to queer people without any thought as to whether the relationship made sense or not.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's like...if someone didn't want a kid to get on an unsafe fair ride, and you were like, "that's good of them, because the child could be injured or worse", but the guy actually just didn't want the ride's paint to get scuffed. Stucky not being a thing is technically the right decision but for the wrong reasons.

Metalshark nailed it with the Wonder Woman thing. Why the gently caress was DC pushing her relationship with Superman so hard? Definitely not because it was the most logical and in character development path.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 29, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That panel was an interesting quirk when it was released, but now it's loving hilarious in retrospect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Saying Captain America can't be gay because he hasn't been in the past is like objecting to Johnny Storm being played by a black guy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

Just like Cap suddenly being gay when he hasn't been forever would be dumb. They could explain it in several ways, and that would be fine. Or they could say movie Cap is gay/bi because there's nothing really to contradict that. It would just stretch belief a little to have Steve Rogers say "well I've been bi this whole time but it never came up". Just like it would have been implausible for him to be Hydra the whole time without some history/memory alteration, which is why they revealed that right away instead of letting it hang for a year or whatever.

Batman made the change from campy silver age fun times to gothic vigilante before there was even any hint of a universe reboot, and that's a lot more dissonant than Cap being into dudes. Marvel may consider it's entire past in canon unlike DC, but only in very broad strokes, and acting like it's all been one cohesive narrative is silly, because it demonstrably isn't.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't ship BuckyxCap and I think that article was pretty dumb too, but that's not what I'm arguing about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

I'm talking specifically about when tumblr got ahold of it and, as they often do with virtually all progressive stuff (that they can also use to justify boners), co-opted it to be about "greater representation in movies. But also comics? I dunno. Just draw Steve and Bucky loving asap."

As someone who gets annoyed having to claw my way through yaoi and poo poo to get to good content, I think you're exaggerating.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The actual way they made the change was ridiculous and dumb, but I don't think anyone cares about the main Nick Fury being black now except for Actual Racists, and is probably a good argument against there needing to be a reason for why Cap could now "suddenly" be gay or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

Well, those are two different people though. Different argument.

Only on very thin, transparent paper.

• Locked thread