Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I like when Deadpool shoots people and says funny things.

But why do you like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

No. Move on.

If I'm gonna get a call out in the OP I get to poke fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

I liked Deadpool before he became famous.

I just don't think starting a mercenary band/agency was a good move, it fills the book with a supporting cast that's way too big and not particularly endearing.

Ideally the Merc business will be pushed into the spinoff entirely and the main series will continue on with Wade's search for answers/revenge. But to be fair, the previous run was doing similar things with a larger cast, he just hadn't gotten to Avengers fame yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jiro posted:

Fantastic op E&C. How long is Vision's run supposed to last? Is it ongoing or a finite series?

Well King just signed a deal taking him back to DC and said his Vision series has a definite end, I think he said 9 issues?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Better a limited run of great quality than a neverending one that peters out and has to be put down.

I tend to agree but it's been such a great book that I want to see it run long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

Am I the only one that hopes Vision doesn't make it out of the series and one of his kids takes the mantle?

Would they do that? We've already had a Vision replacement and they sort of bent over backwards to restore the original.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

I am aware it's a fool hope, but Vivi might just pull it off if Vision takes the rap, goes to jail and sends his daughter to the only people he trusts, The Avengers.

Oh see that's different. And it would work well with that Waid is doing over there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dragonshirt posted:

Whatever happened to the new Blade book?

Delayed several times, it's still coming though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaybackJack posted:

I'm so sad that Rachel-Cole Alves didn't get a bigger push as "female Punisher". Rucka did such a nice job building her up. With Marvel doing a big push to get other races/genders into the mantle of their popular guys I was surprised there was nothing announced for her coming out of the ANAD wave of books.

Marvel pretty much wants to ignore Rucka's run don't they? It ended with Frank in an underwater prison, did they even mention that when they relaunched the book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rucka's Punisher run really needs an omnibus treatment. I mean it lead us to this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Was that Rucka or waid?

I'm pretty sure that's from the Punisher issue of the crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Frankencastle was pretty great but man was the rest of Remender's run a huge mess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I liked the ending.

The tone of the book is just all over the map and a bit jarring at times. I love how it starts, with Frank using super weapons to knock off the bad guys but then we get into ressurected villains and it sort of makes my head spin. I just finished a re-read early today when I took a break from watching Daredevil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Well it's really obvious he wanted to stay in Frankencastle longer and was kinda forced to undo it asap to make room for the next guy, I wager a lot of the stuff in the book was supposed to go slower than it ended up.

Honestly the lead up is more of a mess than the end. The last 5 issues is much better paced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, I might as well ask here I guess: up to where should I read Amazing Spider-man? I know Lee's run is good, and apparently Conway as well, Wolfman's solid too? do I keep going 'till the DeFalco run? all I know for sure is that Mackie is where it truly goes stale.

Stop when you see the name "John Byrne."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Howard Mackie is probably the only writer who's as much of a nadir of Spider-man as Dan Slott is. Which sucks, because some of his issues have amazing John Romita Jr. art.

He never wrote Amazing, did he?

He and Howard Mackie have a year long run. The first time they renumbered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I coulda sworn that was one of the other titles. Sensational Parker-man or whatever.

Nope. The canceled all the books and then launched Chapter One and a month later Amazing and Peter Parker. Mackie wrote both of those, Byrne drew Amazing, JR Jr drew PP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eh, I guess that's fair, plus knowing the story behind it will help.

So outside of Mackie/Byrne after it gets rebooted there isn't really anything to avoid in the original run? just read the whole thing 'till it ends and hope that issues of the spin-off titles it connects to are also up?

After Byrne leaves the books are a mess for years. They don't really recover until Big Time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

So you hated the Jenkin's run, jms, and brand new day? It was not good until Slott was the sole writer?

I meant BND sorry. It's been a long rear end day. Everything from Identity Crisis until Back in Black is very meh. JMS has a good first arc and that's about it. It returns to poo poo at Big Time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At that point I did say "books" and I stand by it. Sure Jenks has some bright spots but Spider-man as a property is pretty bad for a long rear end time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah sorry guys my irrational hatred of Back in Black and it's weaksauce ending overtook me.

Edit: Seriously, you make a huge deal out of Pete putting the black suit back on because he's going to kill someone but then he pusses out but not before the Kingpin ransacks his own jail cell and there's somehow enough rolls of hidden cash to fill a giant loving sack so he can bribe the guards into not interfering with his fist fight with the guy who's beaten up the Hulk in the past.

Edit 2: and let's not forget this isn't even the first time Aunt May is dying but no wait that was a loving actress because gently caress you we can't even admit that the clone saga existed for even a second except no wait it's 5 years later the Clone Saga totes did happen.

Edit 3: Or haha how about that time the Green Goblin tells Peter that he almost called himself "Mister Coffee." drat it Jenkins what the christ were you thinking.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 27, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Back in Black is so sad because you know the writers were basically forced into a corner by what they knew was coming.

I loving hate it so much. They promised us at the retailer summit that the black costume had a real purpose, that Peter put it on because he knew he was going to kill the person who tried to kill May. And then they change it to "Oh he's wearing black because he's in mourning except she didn't die but it's okay you totally mourn people before they die it's totally natural."

And then he fights the Kingpin in the middle of a cellblock with no shirt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It totally has nothing to do with the movie that is coming out where he has the black costume

Hey, it's not my fault they tried to pull some loving bullshit movie synergy.

It also doesn't excuse that stupid giant sack of money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone in BSS loves Nextwave so you should totes read Nextwave.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actually the majority of BSS does like Nextwave since it's a well written, beautifully drawn and very enjoyable series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe Rhyno hates Nextwave and is using it as a sarcastic recommendation.

I don't hate it. The OP has gone on record a hundred times that it's poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress YOU FOR LIKING IT though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaybackJack posted:

More likely he wrote a 50,000 word thesis, containing biographically relevant information on everyone involves, fully sourced quote from leading scholars on the matter and a link to the mythbusters episode where they "bust" they myth of it being good.

The next post after that was "Nextwave is good." and was majorly agreed with.

You forgot about the bibliography of the creators that fully details how they lick goats.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Let's be real that didn't even register because it was two posts and a mod sensibly stepping in. I'm not going to be the one to devalue the BSS piss brand.

We've secretly been piping in TV IV piss for months and nobody has noticed!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaybackJack posted:

Let's discuss comics again.

Songbird secret shield agent is a major bummer. I'm hoping it's a red herring and she'd actually rather be an [new] Avenger than be a mole for Shield who she should have more or less no allegiance to.

I have faith that it will be properly explained. Also they list Clint as "ex shield agent" but was that ever actually a thing in the comics? In Fraction's run he worked for them but going back he was never an agent until MCU poo poo started trickling in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

I haven't read any of the new stuff but from what I've gathered reading people's posts you want to pick up the Vision, Deadpool (Duggan written), and the three Avengers. Other good books seem to be the other two team books, captain Marvel, and lady Thor sure.

These are also the books i am eagerly awaiting to arrive in MU.

Spider-woman is a BSS critical darling despite the bad reputation of the author here, you should check that out. I am loving Mockingbird, Black Widow and Power Man & Iron Fist despite them being so new.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I wish Angel hadn't been canned.

drat it, that was what I was going to compare it to!

To be fair, I would be a pretty excellent Grand Wizard. There'd be free pizza and doughnuts every day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Been catching up on this month's Marvel books, specifically the Standoff stuff and I feel like i've missed something.

Why are there two Maria Hill's?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Created by the living cosmic cube as hinted by the last page

The last page of which issue?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's most likely that Quill has a love interest in GotG2 and they need SYNERGY.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, but that'd be a hell of a synergy Marvel has going if Venom, Thing, and Kitty are members of the GotG but the characters being introduced in GotG2 are nowhere to be seen, Nebula isn't around and isn't Gamora's sister, but Starlord's love interest is kept consistent.

They did completely change Peter's appearance, history and personality to match the film and you think changing who he dates is a bit much?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I would put money on the table that that isn't synergy, it's Bendis seeing a rough cut of the movie and deciding he wants to write him without doing any research on the character in the comics.

When Bendis brought the GotG into Avengers Assemble it was pretty respectful of what came before. The first year of their own new series built upon that. Then we got close to movie time so everything related to Star-Lord's history got chuck out the window.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

This guy gets it. Is she still a vampire raising a kid?

Who the gently caress knows. Nobody at Marvel gives a poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

doing like two minutes of research is hard

I did my research. My second sentence is not incorrect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shogo is yet another weird rear end concept from that X era that will probably never been seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

I'm not normally too into the Marvel Cosmic stuff, but seeing the Abnett/Lanning Guardians omnibus coming out in a few months sort of made me want to check out their run. I realize they did a lot of cosmic stuff across multiple titles (and over a long period of time), so I'm wondering if there is an accepted reading order or recommended high points from their stuff that I should check out. Is it all related or can I pretty much read whatever runs/events look good?

Star with the Drax mini, then Annihilation, then Nova, then Annihilation Conquest, then GotG, War of Kings, Realm of Kings, Thanos Imperative and finally Annihilators.

• Locked thread