Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

LordPants posted:

It took me like, 30 issues to be sure I hated the last Punisher run, hopefully I can work it out quick this time.

edit: I looked it up and there were only 20. With all the "Frank gets captured, but then escapes but then gets captured" one loses track of these things.

I'm so sad that Rachel-Cole Alves didn't get a bigger push as "female Punisher". Rucka did such a nice job building her up. With Marvel doing a big push to get other races/genders into the mantle of their popular guys I was surprised there was nothing announced for her coming out of the ANAD wave of books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Edge & Christian posted:

I haven't seen Daredevil season 2 yet so who knows how that might affect things.

I can't really see it affecting anything too much. Jon Bernthal had a solid performance and did more with the character than the script gave him but it wasn't a break out performance in my book. I certainly can't see anyone picking up a Punisher comic after that as they did nothing to give you an idea of who he fights beyond generic crime groups and what his character conflicts are.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Veg posted:

It was definitely a break out performance and I picked up Punisher Max because of it.

That's good to hear someone liked it that much. A buddy of mine seemed pretty into it, at least he was most looking forward to seeing where the character goes next season but I doubt it would get him to buy the comic. I really liked the episode with him and Daredevil on the roof debating the ethics of his character for 20 minutes, that was something the character really needed and I honestly thought it was building to a Daredevil 191 climax as the last episode. I was a bit disappointed I didn't get that actually.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Ultimates #6 was so good. Ewing reads a lot of stuff and really brings a lot of different writers ideas into this book. Thanos coming back, now in love with non-existence/nothingness instead of Death is brilliant. Eternity in chains by some unknown force, brilliant.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I don't hate it. The OP has gone on record a hundred times that it's poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress YOU FOR LIKING IT though.

More likely he wrote a 50,000 word thesis, containing biographically relevant information on everyone involves, fully sourced quote from leading scholars on the matter and a link to the mythbusters episode where they "bust" they myth of it being good.

The next post after that was "Nextwave is good." and was majorly agreed with.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You forgot about the bibliography of the creators that fully details how they lick goats.

Those are inferences made by a few angry nerds based on twitter comments and have never been fully substantianted. If you can find one single reference of anything posted by the creator where in he details the exact sequence of events from tongue to goat, I'll include it. Until then, it's hearsay and has no place in a reputable internet discussion.

Mr. Maltose posted:

loving finally, I was worried when this thread made it six pages without a good old fashioned BSS pissing match.

I tease. I like E&C but we did just go through this at the end of the last thread so some ribbing is in order.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Let's discuss comics again.

Songbird secret shield agent is a major bummer. I'm hoping it's a red herring and she'd actually rather be an [new] Avenger than be a mole for Shield who she should have more or less no allegiance to.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I have faith that it will be properly explained. Also they list Clint as "ex shield agent" but was that ever actually a thing in the comics? In Fraction's run he worked for them but going back he was never an agent until MCU poo poo started trickling in.

I think it's referencing the current run. He starts out his current arc working with Shield but goes against them in the most recent issue. So I think the writing of him as a SHIELD agent is going off that. It's believable enough that he could be called in as a middle man in the first issue.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but the group is literally made up of people who are objectively good, save Songbird. Is SHIELD really worried about Squirrel Girl, White Tiger, Wiccan, Hulkling and Sunspot, all people with histories that are nothing but positive?

Actually Sunspot was sort of evil before. He had an evil clone, that could take control of him, named Reignfire that led the MLF which was infiltrated by Moonstar who was really working for SHIELD.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

As a wrestling fan I'm surprised to hear you arguing the WWE corporate mentality for the last 10 years. (No, we don't need a roster of John Cenas). I get maybe you're not saying every book should be like the one that doesn't sell that well but there's a lot of books that fall under the radar and aren't pushed or promoted, particularly those with C-list lineups. I mean how well is Illuminati selling right now? Even stuff like Squirrel Girl is a word of mouth thing and there was far less internet buzz when Nextwave came out than now. Sure BSS was around but I don't think I was reading/posting in BSS when NextWave was in print. I don't think I even bought the issues until the series was half done. In some ways you're rehashing the Punk/Cena debate. Could a book like Nextwave get over more if it had more weight and importance behind it? Well maybe it could but we'll never know because it's going to play second fiddle to the Avengers/Spider-Man/X-Men related books of the world.

Anyway at a time like this, when Marvel is pushing a bunch of new ideas. Doing a Nextwave style comedy book with some other C-List guys is probably not a bad idea. I mean that's basically what Contest of Champions is, except it's actually serious.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You're right it's not really an apt comparison and you took the analogy out a bit further than I was taking it but that's the fallacy of them so there you go. There are a lot more differences on both sides that go into the production and marketing to equate a single wrestler with a single comic.

I don't know where you get people wanting New Avengers to be like Nextwave from. I don't see people saying that, but I think when you compare something mediocre to something that was good, even if they fill different spaces you'd rather them both to be good and the same instead of different and good/mediocre. For example, there's probably a lot of people who are feeling bored/disinterested in Better Call Saul and wish it was more like Breaking Bad. Obviously the two shows are different but those people could very well get their way by the end of the series if viewership starts to drop off. Breaking Bad's first season was pretty low viewership as well, but had strong critical reviews and had a huge following by the end. My point here is that if there was a boring book, like say Black Knight was, rather than be a boring story that's different from Nextwave but bad, it's better that it's like Nextwave and good. Obviously there's no guarantee that Black Knight written like Nextwave would be good, but perhaps it might still be better than Black Knight written as it was that got it cancelled in 5 issues, all other things being equal.

edit: I think your TV show comparison with the PJs is probably better served being replaced with The Wire.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 28, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Jiro posted:

Man I loved the whole Annihilators run. Every single character on that roster was God tier or at least demi-God tier. And all commanded by Cosmo, BECAUSE HE'S A GOOD BOY YES HE IS! . Which was loving awesome. Any team that has Quasar AND Beta Ray Bill gets all my money especially if Lanning and Abnett are doing it.

Such a badass team that was. Too bad the storyline was kind of terrible. I was hoping for more of them fighting Eternal level threats and not Magus cultists. It's like watching the Avengers beat up AIM for the 8 millionth time, do I really care? No, go fight Galactus.

Basically everything that's great about Al Ewing's Ultimates. Have him reform and write the Annihilators next.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I really wanted to like Squadron Supreme but the first couple issues were just awful. First they killed Namor in a flashback panel, then had a cameo brawl with the worst Avengers team there is. Then they went to Weirdworld where they had a completely pointless and boring betrayal and now they've seemingly added Thundara to the team but didn't actually give her a real reason for staying with the Squadron.

That said there was a montage of panels of the "helping people regardless of them asking" and adding up a bunch of civilian casualites, so I guess that's their deal is that they just show up and get the job done Man of Steel style.

Then 616 Nighthawk showed up to brawl with Squadron-verse Nighthawk, literally over the rights to the name Nighthawk.

This loving comic., what a mess.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Kids of toy-buying age probably have no idea who the gently caress Darth Vader is.

He's on Rebels and has been in quite a few of the video games that have come out in the past decade. Certainly much more visible than Boba Fett.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

X-O posted:

Red Wolf was fine as far as stories go, and the art inside was great.

Yeah, it looked good. It just didn't go anywhere. Cool premise, coming out of an awesome miniseries that was wasted on bringing Red Wolf to 616 so he could...chase down meth cooks and beat up hicks?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think he'd fit on the Captain America: Steve Rogers book. Like he gets picked up by SHIELD and they aren't sure what to do with him, so they call Cap and he since knew Steve Rogers from his time goes off and sidekicks with him.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Or him and Old Man Logan tearing poo poo up together. One from an alternate past, one from an alternate future.

Actually an X-men team-up book that introduced a character from when Apocalypse was running things in Ancient Egypt and someone like Cable could be a cool book. One character fighting to prevent a future from happening and another fighting to prevent the past from repeating. Same goal from the opposite angles.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You also gotta remember that there was a 6 month+ gap with it and the previously Herc stuff. Tonally, yeah it was pretty different than the previous Herc series but it's hardly the first book to try to tell a different story with the character. I liked a lot of the stuff they had in the Herc series although it didn't land it or it wasn't written quite as well as it could have been/neededto be in order to sell the story.

A lot of the recent relaunch of books dealt with social issues. Black Knight was kind of dealing with addiction as an ongoing struggle, while Herc dealt with it as a legacy issue. So while yeah, he might have saved the world/universe during the Chaos War, people(in 616) tend to think of him negatively still for his indulgences outside his heroics.

It was a cool premise, and I've mentioned before a comic that incorporates elements of American Gods has some legs, but yeah it didn't ever feel like it worked and it should have been scripted a bit tighter knowing it was probably only going to be 6 issues unless it became a critical darling like Vision.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

X-O posted:

I was really excited about A-Force, both the Secret Wars mini and the actual series, and ended up dropping it because I just wasn't digging it at all.

The more recent issue was much better than the first couple. Assembling the team took an issue too long and they probably should have dropped one of the girls. Last one introduced "Dazzler Thor(DazzlOR?)" which is a much more interesting use of Dazzler than her 616 version has been.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Marvel's printing a paperback later this year which collects the "Trial of Gambit" storyline for X-Men, and it is probably a sign that I have read too many of Chris Sims's X-Men Episode Guides that (even though I know what that story's about) my reaction was, "Probably on trial for his sex offences."

That was one of the comics that made me quit reading back then. I was so excited to find out Gambit's big secret and it was such a let down. It was like they couldn't pull the trigger on making him actually a bad guy. The freaking animated series had a better twist.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Little Mac posted:

Marvel has something magical in Howard the Duck and Squirrel Girl. Both books have actually managed to make me laugh out loud while reading them, including this month's Squirrel Girl. The dating montage is so incredible.

Hellcat feels like it's trying too hard sometimes while SG is just so perfect. That dating scene could have been awful in so many ways, instead it was perfect.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Oh yeah I forgot Cap's new shield was in this. Haha, how terrible/gimmicky was it?

I honesty didn't really notice it except that they had a couple lines about how it was different and Cap had to adjust to the new style. I'm willing to give the whole shield thing a pass because of that variant Skottie Young cover.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 1, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm pretty sure Bendis co-opted the term for his build up in Civil War 1, and redefined it as someone who predicts what the future will need and then builds that. It's not really explained beyond that and I'm as sure that's about all Bendis got in his reading of a wikipedia article on his phone before he said "gently caress it, sounds cool. I'll use that." His logic in CW was "I see what's going to happen in the future, because I'm a futurist, therefore you need to sign the SHRA."

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I meant more 'I am the son of you from the future who raised this baby from the present in the future as a daughter who then came back and you treated as a daughter and also there's a second you running around that is from the past when you were first getting started in this X-business, and also your daughter from the future is around and clones ofyour dead girlfriend are everywhere'

Hey, give the Inhumans their own comic for 50 years and we'll see how well off they are in non-convoluted plot lines. Ten years from now Black Bolt could be married to a clone of Medusa who's actually another inhuman who's terrigenesis was to make her a physical clone of Medusa in every way!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Karnak is a good comic.

It's super Warren Ellis-y which I like. It star Karnak which I also like. It has some crazy art which I also like.

It is a good comic.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Except the initial premise wasn't all that interesting to begin with.

I think the really dropped the ball on having Ulysses be a generic white dude instead of Miss Cleo from those last night informercials. (linked for reference)

"Listen up child, Mama Cleo had a vision, Thanos coming. He bringing some bad ju ju, OK. Also Captain Marvel, I'll tell ya who Spider-Woman's baby daddy is. Call me now; only 99 cents a minute."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 16, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

LIES YOU CAN BELIEVE IN
LOKI 2016
Waiting for:
"I know lies, I have the best lies. "

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm reading through Inhumans stuff right now and am at Realm of the Kings. Am I supposed to grow to hate the Inhumans? Because I am and really dislike reading about them and the Kree.

My synopsis of that whole period is all the Kree/Inhumans are assholes, except Crystal and Ronin. It's a low point in what was a good time in the history of Marvel Galactic stuff.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 20, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Oasx posted:

I read the entire Secret Wars event these last few days, although for some reason Marvel Unlimited has forgotten to include 5-6 different tie-in titles on their event list. Is there any comic that explains what exactly the new status quo is?
From what i can understand the Ultimate universe is no more, but a few of the Ultimate characters are in the proper Marvel universe now, but i would like a proper overview of what is different, instead of having to guess it by reading various titles.

The problem is that Hickman left it undefined beyond Battleworld happened, and this came out of it, but people mostly don't remember. So a lot of the status quo is still being put together by the various writers who came in afterwards.

The "big" change from previous arc that the terrigen mist is killing mutants and... yeah that's basically it. That's really the only plot point that's had an impact across multiple books in a meaningful way. The other stuff like Peter Parker being rich and running his own company, or Stark being poorer and having to sell his, or Doom being healed, haven't been of any importance beyond whatever solo title they're being discussed in.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

I really want Ultron to show up for a 'Oh grandpa!' issue.

Could just have them push his head around in a wheelchair as he rants angrily about things.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

HIJK posted:

That's certainly why I do it. It's an easy shorthand.

I'm fine with sexists getting told to gently caress off, I just want it done well and in a un-terrible fashion. Using internet memes for dialogue (usually as a way to be "hip") is pretty lame, and I'm not interested in seeing internet drama recreated in brightly colored funnybooks, mostly because internet drama consists of several different sides jerking each other off. That's tiresome.

Sexism from men is something I face in everyday life. If it's done in a heavy handed fashion in fiction than that's not enjoyable, it's just eye-rolly.

To be honest it's pretty heavy handed and clearly meant as the writer's rebuttal to the grumpy MRA garbage that gets spewed on the internet. I didn't mind it so much because it's a panel here and there...I guess it makes for good troll bait on Tumblr or whatever the anti-feminist crowd is posting on these days. It definitely didn't detract from the overall experience of the comic though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

C seems very, very likely. Good point.

I think it was probably more true in the 90s than it is today. We saw what happened when all the good writers took their ball and went to play in the indies and very few of them made it. A guy like Bendis probably set the best example for today's writers, or perhaps Morrison in that you come in, and if your work is good enough it inspires the work that comes after it and if you can write stuff that sells well and don't piss off the bosses you can have a good job and still do indy stuff that you're more passionate about. That doesn't mean that you need to save your best ideas for the indy work or not try and create original characters for mainstream stuff.

The biggest issue to me is simply that they don't replace their old stars with new ones. It's like the WWE problem with John Cena we've had for years and years. Instead of trying to push someone past his level and hold them there, we've had them build up people who even at the top were second to him even though his star was fading they missed the boat on being able to use him to get a star above him.

The Example in Marvel is Miles as Spider-Man. Is Miles ever going to full on take the mantle of Spider-Man from Peter Parker to the level that we see him appearing in movies? Answer to that was in Civil War, and it's no. They're going to keep drawing from the well that fans know rather than try and draw from one they don't and risk not hitting black gold(black gold is oil, not a remark about Black viewers) right away. Making the new Spider-Man Miles instead of Peter would have been a really fresh way to bring the character into the MCU, not that he had a bad showing, but it should have sent the message that they weren't going to keep banking on legacy characters for the sake of them being the biggest draws and were willing to let younger, fresher, faces hold the mantle.

I imagine the suits like J.Jonah Jameson yelling at the creative team "I want the next hero, bigger than Iron Man, on my desk in the morning and if he's not got 3 comics with his name and a Disney XD show in the works by 5pm he goes in the vault."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 30, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

More Ewing writing Sunspot is the best thing. He's nailing the character so hard, totally picked up the ball where Hickman left it and ran it out of the stadium and a mile down the road. Bless this man for not just taking the character in a completely backwards or different direction.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The fact that there is a big event going on called Apocalypse Wars, during the period in history where there is a movie called X-Men: Apocalypse in theaters should tell you that at worst they aren't even ignoring what Fox is doing with the film rights.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 3, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Aren't Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch Not mutants and Not Magneto's kids again?

Fair point about the rest, though. But answer me this, because I didn't read the arc. Did the X-Men willingly aid Apocalypse in makin gsome genocide bomb? Because if they did, I'd rather Marvel did axe the franchise rather than run it into the ground. They've already betrayed a lot of the core ideas of the franchise but something like this would be a new low.

Also, unless there is another Apocalypse genocide bomb in one of the more recent comics, the last one was during a period called AXIS in which everyone has some sort of disposition change which for 99% of characters meant they went evil/good. So it wasn't even a period where they were vilified in the universe for more than a couple issues.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Quicksilver's dead I think, they're still mutants, not Magneto's kids.

No, they're products of High Evolutionary's genetic experimentation. I guess that means they don't have the "x-gene" or whatever. It was retconned a while back, it's stupid but honestly done probably more to make the comic characters more like the Avengers MCU characters, like black Nick Fury.

Like if you want to blame if on Fox, I guess you can but I imagine it went more like:

"Ok, Fox will let us use Wanda and PIetro but we can't call them mutants."
"So what do we call them."
"Uhm...products of genetic experimentation!"
"Great call the writers and tell them their poo poo better line up with the movies or people will be confused when they rush to comic book stores to read about these characters that we basically just invented who totally have no backstory beyond the films."

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 3, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

A big event confined to three books with no one shots or specials.

I mean, the X-Men embargo is probably not as big as some people say but there was an editorial edict. Bendis even said he was told to not create any new mutants because Fox would automatically own the film rights to them.

Ok so it's not a big mega event, but it's comparable to what Age of X? I mean it's still a decently sized event that spans three of the main X-Men titles. It's not like it's confined to it's own tiny corner of X-Men titles.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

But all the titles involved are X-men titles, what point do you think you are making.

X-Men have been an insular brand for a longer period than they haven't and even when they have we still had events like Age of X which were X-Men X-clusive(couldn't resist).

A better, or more telling example would be to say that X-Men don't get to participate in the big events that go on in the rest of the 616...except there is an X-Men Civil War 2 book being printed...so they do.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Well that's what I'm saying, this isn't a major crossover, it's just some side stuff.

I never said it was a major crossover. My point was that at worst it's business as usual PLUS an event that relates to the new movie. If they wanted to completely ignore the Fox stuff then there most certainly wouldn't be an event going on that linked to the new movie.

Toxxupation posted:

I always viewed the MU as three spheres: the Spider stuff, the X-Stuff, and the greater Marvel universe.

I'd agree with that and further divide the greater Marvel U stuff into two spheres of Earth-centric and Cosmic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You called it a "big event" which is absolutely isn't.

I'd consider it a big event in the X-Men sphere. Not like a Civil War level big event which has a million crossovers but it's still involving the major titles of the line and being drug out over the summer. It's freaking 13 issues. That's 4 more than Fall of the Mutants and 1 more than X-Cuitioner's Song which were both big events of X-Men past.

• Locked thread