Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like when Deadpool shoots people and says funny things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It reminds me of when I shoot people and say unfunny things.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I can't really see it affecting anything too much. Jon Bernthal had a solid performance and did more with the character than the script gave him but it wasn't a break out performance in my book. I certainly can't see anyone picking up a Punisher comic after that as they did nothing to give you an idea of who he fights beyond generic crime groups and what his character conflicts are.

There's a guy in the recommendation thread who picked up pretty much every Punisher comic in the MAX imprint after seeing the show.

I really liked how that version of the character was slightly dumber, slightly less perfect, and more emotional than the Punisher that's been mostly depicted in Marvel comics. I've gotten super annoyed with the perfect grim specter of death Ennis wrote him as who never makes a mistake and never breaks and is smarter than everyone and always kills the bad guys no matter what.

He's still idealized in the sense that he manages to never hit anyone innocent while shooting tons of bad guys in public places, but it's taken down several notches from the most ludicrous comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought Rucka's run was super boring and Rachel was a weak-rear end character. The best thing she did was get verbally smacked by Daredevil one time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Ennis' Punisher did accidentally kill an innocent girl once when he drugged a bunch of people at a slaver's place and she fell face first into her soup.

One time regular Punisher shot up a family having a picnic while trying to kill some mobsters and was like "Oh gently caress! Oh well, poo poo happens."

DrProsek posted:

I freely admit I have read nothing at all with Punisher and have no idea who Rachel is other than "like Frank but a lady". I'm just saying "misogynistic Punisher fans won't like it" and "female mass murdering psychopath isn't really a great accomplishment for women in comics" aren't great reasons to get rid of the character.

This is all true, but demographics-wise, Ennis' Punisher largely appeals to the shittiest kind of redditor you can imagine, so I can see a guy in marketing seeing Rachel as a non-starter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Daredevil Season 2 Spoilers here:

The implication that something was hosed with his deployment is definitely something new, and I thought this particular take on Punisher was more out of control and PTSD-motivated than the versions we usually get.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ennis still turned Punisher into a nearly infallible badass in a way almost no one prior had. It was nice to see Jason Aaron actually show Frank stumbling.

Edmundson's run was just terrifying "Chris Kyle was a hero" poo poo, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Not really. That's a poor reading of the text, which is your specialty.

I don't know why you're unable to make your incorrect and surface-level point without taking a shot at me, you loving moron.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I could've not done that.

That said, any interpretation of the MAX run where Frank is "infallible" is the kind of thing you can only really say if you haven't actually read the MAX run, or if you're interpreting "Frank always survives to the end of the arc" as infallibility. It's a critically indefensible position.

Oh yeah, Frank getting physically hurt totally counteracts Garth Ennis' inability to write him as someone who's ever in the wrong about anything or is ever shown in a position of weakness. My view is "critically indefensible" because I notice things like Frank being immune to torture unlike everyone else in the narrative, or the people he goes up against being largely caricatures of humans beings who more often than not have some kind of sexual perversion to let us know that they're not 'manly' like Frank is.

The last arc of Ennis' run was an entire squad of marines being repeatedly defeated by Frank until they realize his position is morally superior to those who want to stop him. My view isn't a "misreading" of the text, it IS the text.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I like the Punisher that shoots knives and the Punisher that becomes Frankenstein. That is the best Punisher.

I agree.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked the ending.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The tone of the book is just all over the map and a bit jarring at times. I love how it starts, with Frank using super weapons to knock off the bad guys but then we get into ressurected villains and it sort of makes my head spin. I just finished a re-read early today when I took a break from watching Daredevil.

Well it's really obvious he wanted to stay in Frankencastle longer and was kinda forced to undo it asap to make room for the next guy, I wager a lot of the stuff in the book was supposed to go slower than it ended up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

It wasnt all good though. There were some really, really bad ones. But a lot of them were really good.

Was anything as bad as, say, World War Hulk: Frontline?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HIJK posted:

Vague twitter posts are vague twitter posts and not proof of anything.

I don't know anything about Edmondson and he doesn't sound likeable but unless someone says something definitive, even if only anonymously, then no decisions or judgements can be made about the man.

You don't get to dictate that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, Howard Mackie is probably the only writer who's as much of a nadir of Spider-man as Dan Slott is. Which sucks, because some of his issues have amazing John Romita Jr. art.

Rhyno posted:

Stop when you see the name "John Byrne."

He never wrote Amazing, did he?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Are there still people out there who think the JMS run was bad? Crazy world we live in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He and Howard Mackie have a year long run. The first time they renumbered.

I coulda sworn that was one of the other titles. Sensational Parker-man or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Back in Black is so sad because you know the writers were basically forced into a corner by what they knew was coming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish Angel hadn't been canned.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alternately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q4txN1ut20

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And games with Dark Souls.

I remember for a period Book Barn would relentlessly recommend Song of Ice and Fire to everyone even if they explicitly said "I hate everything that even remotely resembles medieval fantasy"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's most likely that Quill has a love interest in GotG2 and they need SYNERGY.

Thank god, what a stupid relationship that was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They did completely change Peter's appearance, history and personality to match the film and you think changing who he dates is a bit much?

I would put money on the table that that isn't synergy, it's Bendis seeing a rough cut of the movie and deciding he wants to write him without doing any research on the character in the comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When Bendis brought the GotG into Avengers Assemble it was pretty respectful of what came before. The first year of their own new series built upon that. Then we got close to movie time so everything related to Star-Lord's history got chuck out the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1CN6ZKezhc

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kitty Pryde despite not being a sex bomb like some other X-characters was written as the ultimate perfect girlfriend. Whedon and Bendis have openly admitted that she's their comic book mega-crush to this day, and I'm sure many others their age feel the same.

Which is dumb because Jubes is where it's at.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wood was pushing for it to be her biological son at first. I know she's a vampire and she's been around for ages but the character is still a teen, right? That's hosed up, Wood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Black Panther isn't the first super hero "of African descent", he's the first one who's of African nationality... unsubscribed!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The actual interview is super rad though. I like everything Coates has to say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really wish they'd stop giving that dude work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

At least until you scroll down to the faces.

Only Carol looks weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

When they "killed" Johnny, did they do that whole "Oh he's dead for ever and for sure" marketing stuff?

As usual, yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like Xavier has died like every year in the past decade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

*Enters the thread wielding a wrench and covered in sewage*

X-O! Emergency! We have a.... oh, uh, never mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Triumph and Torment.

Word.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Personally when a comic doesn't blow my rear end up I consider that a plus.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes he is. They were both involved with Ben 10, which is confusing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Huh. I could have sworn he was never a part of that. Did he get kicked/bought out or something? He and Joe Kelly were pretty hostile towards each other some years back.

All I know is what Wikipedia tells me, and they appear to be co-creators.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I know Joe C's terrible band played a party at the Chicago con once.

????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTH0YtATqK4&t=133s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Joe C we were talking about!

Like I'm gonna pass a chance to reference Kid Rock's dead midget rapper pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The way Ditko originally drew her was pretty strange looking as well, but every female in comics ends up looking like a sexy model over time. Most artists just never learn to draw any other kind of woman.

• Locked thread