Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

CelticPredator posted:

Huh. I'll have to look out for that. I wonder why that was?

Probably completely impossible to control how it flow/risk it blows into someones face during a shoot so gently caress it, just go CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

People have of course already said "it's like a videogame", but I've gotta say it really is a videogame. The mute protagonist, who gets mission objectives that are displayed on a mini-map. Jimmy explaining how to use the grenades like a tutorial. More specifically, the ghille-suit Jimmy leading Henry through the abandoned buildings was literally the Mcmillan mission from Call of Duty 4.

That aside I thought it was alright if a little dull in the end if you can believe it. When you see him shoot a few guys you've seen most of what its going to show you, with some variation to liven it up from fight to fight.

Oh, there was a dude behind me who thought that ghille-suit Jimmy was the funniest thing ever, he kept saying "A talking bush!" and laughing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cacator posted:

I'm surprised this is getting such a good reception here. Aside from, yes, feeling like you're watching someone play Call of Duty, while I didn't get motion sick the very act of watching it was exhausting and the complete lack of script or interesting characters (aside from Copely) didn't really give me much of a feeling of involvement despite you literally looking through the eyes of the main character. Maybe if the latency in the video wasn't so bad it would be a bit easier to follow. Me and a friend agreed it was an interesting experiment but we couldn't picture ourselves watching it again.

The film is actually incredibly tightly written, to the point that every single gag contributes to the central theme of embodied cognition.

Kramjacks posted:

People have of course already said "it's like a videogame", but I've gotta say it really is a videogame. The mute protagonist, who gets mission objectives that are displayed on a mini-map. Jimmy explaining how to use the grenades like a tutorial. More specifically, the ghille-suit Jimmy leading Henry through the abandoned buildings was literally the Mcmillan mission from Call of Duty 4.

For example, though this is the plot content, the film constantly emphasizes that - in its very form - it is not a videogame. We are always several steps behind Henry, as he's sensing things that we don't and making decisions we can't understand except retroactively. The film is very non-immersive.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 11, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For example, though this is the plot content, the film constantly emphasizes that - in its very form - it is not a videogame. We are always several steps behind Henry, as he sensing things that we don't and making decisions we can't understand except retroactively. The film is very non-immersive.

This is part of why the film is much more a Russian dashcam video than it is a videogame, in that we as a Western audience watch the mayhem with a sense of befuddlement, but the point of view character is already immersed in that cultural context so it's, in a sense, just another day at the office for him

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. It's definitely Sentient Russian Dash Cam the Motion Picture. Which is what I loved about it. However, I still think the "storyline" is taking the piss out of poo poo video game stories being mostly the same one note generic premise. That and the respawning Sharlto Coplay companion.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

We are always several steps behind Henry, as he sensing things that we don't and making decisions we can't understand except retroactively. The film is very non-immersive.

Jenny Angel posted:

This is part of why the film is much more a Russian dashcam video than it is a videogame, in that we as a Western audience watch the mayhem with a sense of befuddlement, but the point of view character is already immersed in that cultural context so it's, in a sense, just another day at the office for him

I never felt this way at all. It never seemed like Henry knew something I didn't.

I agree about the non-immersive part.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 11, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Plus, from what we got from the flashbacks, Henry wasn't much of a fighter.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I agree about it looking like a dashcam, it has a very real, almost strangely real aesthetic for the most part.

Really, HH feels like one of these to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBm_uZidDT0

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Nothing more and nothing less than it advertised, 5/5

also the bad guy was Charlie from Lethal Weapon 5

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 11, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still say it's Tommy Wiseau.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I thought Queen was just gonna be a trailer thing, then they threw that right in with adrenaline shots AND IT WAS GREAT

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Reaching low level numbers (compared to real sports, you could get 14million with terrible teams in the early rounds of the NBA finals) for one event is not "Massive Crowds".

E: hell, let's show the real numbers for Esports about a year ago. A goddamned .1!

The NBA finals last year averaged around 19.9 million viewers, other years it averaged less than 10 million. http://www.statista.com/statistics/240377/nba-finals-tv-viewership-in-the-united-states/ So turns out that the viewship for the LoL world finals is pretty comparable to the NBA finals. Also, no one gives a poo poo about ESPN streaming any esport because it's the entirely wrong demographic. I know almost no one who even has a cable subscription, let alone an ESPN package anymore when any smart person can just stream any game they want for free. People watch most esports online through Twitch.tv, youtube, and various other streaming platforms. Twitch alone gets over 11 million unique users every month. https://www.quantcast.com/twitch.tv#trafficCard and Amazon bought it for $970 million dollars.

Anyway this is a terrible derail. Good movie, go see it.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 11, 2016

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Sharlto Copley mentioned on a podcast that the running up and across the girders on the bridge was improvised the day of. They got on set to shoot, and the actors/stuntmen were basically "We used to do this all the time as kids" and just shot it on a whim without any safety precautions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's exactly what that shot looks like, too.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's exactly what that shot looks like, too.

Come to think of it, I recall thinking to myself this movie seems very YouTube, just a couple of bonkers kids in the woods playing and making a movie. (I didn't see that as a negative.)

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Kramjacks posted:

Oh, there was a dude behind me who thought that ghille-suit Jimmy was the funniest thing ever, he kept saying "A talking bush!" and laughing.

Dude behind you was probably super high.

Movie rocked.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

Ohhh I get it now. People are pissed because dumb robots were controlled by their love and desire to protect a woman. People are stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kramjacks posted:

I never felt this way at all. It never seemed like Henry knew something I didn't.

It's not exactly a question of knowing more than the audience. But, for example, you have the bit where Henry yanking on a power cable behind him so that a guy is struck by a flying TV. That's the sort of thing that requires spacial awareness that we lack. And we in the audience aren't treated to the camera lingering on the cable, or anything else that would illustrate the decision-making process as it happens.

In a videogame, it would certainly have to have been set up with some sort of tutorial thing. But when you get the grenade gag, half of the joke is that Henry hasn't required a tutorial at all before that point. He just intuits things.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
My wife and I loved the poo poo out of this, and for a movie that was as motion-filled, it definitely felt a lot less vertigo-inducing than most found footage films.

Also the musical number was that straight up lifted from Gamer was great! I assumed it was a fair use song, but I learned that Sharlto performed it so there you go.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I'm not usually into higher framerates on movies but I think it would've helped this movie a lot. There were a few times when the action and camera movement got a little too fast and the motion blur obscured everything and made it hard to follow what had just happened. Some of the jump cuts during the action scenes made it hard to follow, too, but it may be that was necessary to keep the action fast-paced enough, and not just that they did it in multiple takes.

It's not exactly a question of knowing more than the audience. But, for example, you have the bit where Henry yanking on a power cable behind him so that a guy is struck by a flying TV. That's the sort of thing that requires spacial awareness that we lack. And we in the audience aren't treated to the camera lingering on the cable, or anything else that would illustrate the decision-making process as it happens.

In a videogame, it would certainly have to have been set up with some sort of tutorial thing.

The little icon would pop up so you know to press E to interact. Or H when he resets him arm back into place. With how much Far Cry and Blood Dragon influence there was, I wish there'd been a couple more of those.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 11, 2016

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Sharlto Copley mentioned on a podcast that the running up and across the girders on the bridge was improvised the day of. They got on set to shoot, and the actors/stuntmen were basically "We used to do this all the time as kids" and just shot it on a whim without any safety precautions.

Jesus. The part where Henry jumps up to the top and has to immediately turn 90 degrees to start running looked like he almost overshot it and went over the side.

I loved this movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All I could think about was this video here.

Hardcore Henry: The Teen Years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3c67AYl0rM

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been this sad to see a movie bomb this hard since Dredd.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. It's definitely Sentient Russian Dash Cam the Motion Picture. Which is what I loved about it. However, I still think the "storyline" is taking the piss out of poo poo video game stories being mostly the same one note generic premise. That and the respawning Sharlto Coplay companion.

He was literally an NPC quest giver, which was amazing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 12, 2016

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Just saw the movie.

I've got to admit I was kinda ho hum about it up until the motherfucking tank showed up out of nowhere. At that point I just threw my arms in the air and decided to embrace the insanity of it all.

For a video-game looking movie to be threading the same thematic grounds as Metal Gear Solid 2 is just asking for trouble, and I kinda wish they played a bit more with implanted memories mindfuckery. I do get it's not that kind of movie, but come on, Total Recall, another big dumb action movie, did a better job there, so that's no excuse

In the end, as an action movie that tried something new, it totally worked for me. I had a ton of fun, and it does not deserve the negative reaction it's getting.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 12, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This might be the best year for overlooked movies since 2012, between this and Gods of Egypt and gently caress knows what else I'm forgetting. GoE spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sSBSkk-3WE

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 12, 2016

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I just got back from seeing this movie and yeah, I feel a little sick; it was still a good movie to watch with my friends!

MrQwerty posted:

I thought Queen was just gonna be a trailer thing, then they threw that right in with adrenaline shots AND IT WAS GREAT

This part had me screaming "YES" in my seat. Too bad the scene was a bit short though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Saw this buzzed with my brother just ten minutes ago. I can't say I support this becoming a trend, and I can't say it was the perfect experience (a lot of the fast shakey poo poo just means you can't appreciate the action as much), but I can definitely say that Hardcore Henry was a fun as gently caress experience.
I sort of approach it like Cloverfield, where I had a hell of a lot of fun and was pretty immersed, but can't imagine any rewatching value or really recommending it to people outside of the specific parameters of : "don't be sober, enjoy the ride". Lots of hooting and laughing, pretty empty theater. Like Cloverfield (which I saw opening night without having ever seen a trailer), I think of this film and recommend it as more of an "experience" than a "movie" if that makes any sense. But that's not me trying to diminish it, I had fun even if I still can't quite grasp a lot of people in my generation watching videos of other people playing videogames.
I gotta admit, leaving the theater I just felt like running around and grappling off of lights and punching walls and poo poo :lol: I can only imagine showing this movie to a theater full of charged up crossfaded dudes and then releasing them onto the streets.
the Queen was predictable and cliche, I mean this isn't even the first movie to use that song as a charged up moment, but none of that mattered. It all worked. Great music, great fun. RIP all those Henry allies ;~;

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 13, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just saw this. While the plot wasn't anything to rave about, the films general uniqueness salvages it into something wonderful.

I agree that it is literally video game the movie from the perspective, to the plot, to the mute protagonist, to the little "objectives", to "health", etc.

It was so much like a video game that my biggest complaint about the film was the frame rate. Jesus was it choppy. 24fps is a no go.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Ape Agitator posted:

It's a fun watch if you're okay with found footage cinematography.

I have to disagree with this. I loving despise found footage and enjoyed the film for the insanity that it was. Some of the segments were way too chaotic and made the action a little hard to follow. I felt some of those segments could and should have been done better.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"A post-traumatic subject is … a victim who, as it were, survives its own death: all different forms of traumatic encounters, independent of their specific nature (social, natural, biological, symbolic), lead to the same result: a new subject emerges which survives death (erasure) of its symbolic identity. There is no continuity between this new post-traumatic subject ... and its old identity: after the shock, a new subject emerges."
-Zizek

"Being dead, Don Quixote could no longer speak. Being born into and part of a male world, she had no speech of her own. All she could do was read male texts which weren't hers."
-Kathy Acker

"You're half machine, half pussy!”
-this movie

There's a bit of a disappointing inability/refusal to theorize Hardcore Henry, given that it begins with the shattering of the toy robot into a flurry of partial objects that swirl 'around' this indiscernible fixed point.

The whole relatively-slow opening shows us the imposition of Henry's new identity through his being provided with a name, an apple from Eve, and an enemy: this 'bad' totalitarian despot, who threatens the 'good' humanitarian corporation that happens to own every part of Henry's body and has been (gently, non-coercively) shaping his motivations from the start.

The film is a solid critique of ideology, where the point is that, as Zizek puts it re: Fight Club, "in order to attack the enemy you first have to beat the poo poo out of yourself." The movie demands to be read as part of a conversation with Vertov:

"Kino-Eye, Dziga Vertov's Soviet silent classic from 1924 (one of the highpoints of revolutionary cinema) takes as its emblem the eye (of the camera) as an 'autonomous organ' which wanders around in the early 1920s, giving us snippets of the NEP ('new economic politics') reality of the Soviet Union. Recall the common expression 'to cast an eye over something,' with its literal implication of picking the eye out of its socket and throwing it around. [...] This, precisely, is what revolutionary cinema should be doing: using the camera as a partial object, as an 'eye' torn from the subject and freely thrown around – or, to quote Vertov himself:

'The film camera drags the eyes of the audience from the hands to the feet, from the feet to the eyes and so on in the most profitable order, and it organises the details into a regular montage exercise.'

We all know the uncanny moments in our everyday lives when we catch sight of our own image and this image is not looking back at us. I remember once trying to inspect a strange growth on the side of my head using a double mirror, when, all of a sudden, I caught a glimpse of my face from the profile. The image replicated all my gestures, but in a weird uncoordinated way. In such a situation, 'our specular image is torn away from us and, crucially, our look is no longer looking at ourselves.' It is in such weird experiences that one catches what Lacan called gaze as objet petit a, the part of our image which eludes the mirror-like symmetrical relationship. When we see ourselves 'from outside,' from this impossible point, the traumatic feature is not that I am objectivized, reduced to an external object for the gaze, but, rather, that it is my gaze itself which is objectivized, which observes me from the outside, which, precisely, means that my gaze is no longer mine, that it is stolen from me. There is a relatively simple and painless eye-operation which, nonetheless, involves a very unpleasant experience: under local anesthesia, i.e., with the patient’s full awareness, the eye is taken out of the socket and turned a little bit around in the air (in order to correct the way the eye-ball is attached to the brain) – at this moment, the patient can for a brief moment see (parts of) himself from outside, from an 'objective' viewpoint, as a strange object, the way he 'really is' as an object in the world, not the way one usually experiences oneself as fully embedded 'in' one’s body. There is something divine in this (very unpleasant) experience: one sees oneself as if from a divine viewpoint, somehow realizing the mystical motto according to which, the eye through which I see God is the eye through which God sees himself. Something homologous to this weird experience, applied to God himself, occurs in the Incarnation."
-Zizek

A similar thing occurs, though not as effectively, in VHS2.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

OptimusShr posted:

I have to disagree with this. I loving despise found footage and enjoyed the film for the insanity that it was. Some of the segments were way too chaotic and made the action a little hard to follow. I felt some of those segments could and should have been done better.

I think the parts you found disagreeable are those "found footage cinematography" segments I'm referring to. So I think we agree.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I would agree that the gay jokes were something I could've done without but didn't see any problem with the ending. It definitely didn't come off like WOMEN AMIRITE? like people seem to be implying.

The entire point of the ending was anti Women armirite! He mocks her, never tortures here, and when she tries for the bad damsel in distress act he just closes the door on her and that fake rear end part of his life. It's a stupid movie trope, like the origin story for the Akane, that unlike Akane the audience/Henry has to deal with and rejects totally

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

The entire point of the ending was anti Women armirite! He mocks her, never tortures here, and when she tries for the bad damsel in distress act he just closes the door on her and that fake rear end part of his life. It's a stupid movie trope, like the origin story for the Akane, that unlike Akane the audience/Henry has to deal with and rejects totally
Wait, what part are you referring to when you mention an Akane origin story that the audience/Henry rejects totally? This movie was kind of a fun frenetic blur for me.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Really enjoyed this. I assumed from early on that it would be "about" manipulation through simplistic protagonist motivation, but it had spooled out in a fun way, the action was better than I thought it might be, and it has the good sense to let Sharlto Copley run away with things.

The villain guy was super weird, though. Not sure I get his performance.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait, what part are you referring to when you mention an Akane origin story that the audience/Henry rejects totally? This movie was kind of a fun frenetic blur for me.

The director mentioned that there is a deleted scene where someone asks why Akane is a psyhic, and Henry's "wife" responds sarcastically that he was bitten by a radioactive spider and Henry seems loving annoyed some dipshit is asking about the life story about the douche bag trying to kill them all

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's extremely straightforward: it's the future and the villain's a mutant. They even use the albinism from The Omega Man.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Just saw this last night. Only thing in recent memory I can even begin to think was similar in tone (and even concept) is Deadpool, and I enjoyed this far far more. I definitely laughed harder and the action was more engaging - a few moments where I got bored but I'm generally not the biggest nonstop action fan. It felt like a mishmash of movies (not saying this is bad) including but not limited to Robocop, both Cranks, Avatar (I think buddy even calls his different clones avatars) and the best of Russian dashcam footage. I'd see a sequel.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I love the beginning escape from the airship laboratory/base which really sets the tone in the futuristic "Uh yea it's the future so stop worrying about details" kind of way.

I'm surprised to see it getting such low reviews, it's just an interesting high-concept action movie, it wasn't trying to set the film world on fire... it's just trying to get some good action sequences and violence to your eyeballs. Which it does a good job of; make sure you see it with friends, and make sure you consume a few of your favorite substances.

I suspect this will have legs in the rental/streaming market - we're seeing major love for Hard-R action movies come back.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 13, 2016

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This is Dark City meets Crank. Just saw it again, it's still great. The blurry parts of the action are fine, it's just movie shorthand for 'this action is awesome but fast and it lets us edit scenes together easier', which I'm okay with. The end is definitely not a "gently caress women" thing, it's just a rejection of authority and is Henry becoming his own boss.

Also, I'd watch the oscars if Sharlito Copely hosted.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, do I catch it this week or do I chance it going to the cheap theaters in a week or two?

• Locked thread