Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What is this thread?
So Dark Souls III is being released in an interesting way. The worldwide release date is set for April 12th, and that is the date it will release on in all consoles in most countries and on the PC in Japan. However in Japan, for the PS4 and Xbone it will be released on March 24th (March 23rd in the US because timezones), nearly three full weeks before. The reason for this staggered release date is not known, although it probably has something to do with FromSoftware self-publishing those versions, and Bandai Namco covering all others (and not wanting to release it on that date, for whatever reason).

Because of this and the fact that many of the more hardcore Souls fans are bad with money, many of us will be purchasing the Japanese version to play it as soon as possible. Rather than clutter up the pre-release thread with CIA document posts, I figured I'd make a thread for this release for us crazies to post it and share notes. As the game will most likely be entirely in Japanese (beyond the voices and some UI elements) and most of us know little to no Japanese, I'll be including useful resources below for better understanding the game. I'll be closing this thread prior to the worldwide release, cause there's no real point in having it around after that.

:thumbsup:

Dark Souls III
The capstone to FromSoftware's iconic video game franchise, and possibly the last entry according to their president Hidetaka Miyazaki. It boasts many improvements and changes from the previous games in the series, as well as Bloodborne, not least being the graphic fidelity. I've heard many compared it to Bloodborne and there certainly are some bits that looks like they would have been taken straight from it, but to me the overall visual design feels very much like an enhanced Demon's Souls. To go along with that, the combat and movement are faster than previous entries, although not as much as Bloodborne.

Returning features include four types of magic (sorcery, miracles, pyromancy, and hexes), powerstanced weapons (although this time it is specific weapons only and replaces the 2handed moveset of those weapons), four ring slots, most of the usual stats, a Nexus-style hub, a level-up-lady in the hub, and a metric boatload of returning items and characters (if you were one of the people that bitched at Dark Souls II for including Ornstein, well, maybe you shouldn't be playing this).

New features include the removal of the adaptability and agility stats, the re-inclusion of Luck (in addition to boosting item find it also boosts poison and bleed capabilities), all stats providing some form of defense boost in addition to their primary benefit, an upgrade system that is a fusion of the ones form Dks2 and Des (you infuse weapons with a specific type of material, and the available paths include ones that change how the weapon scales with stats), as well as the new Skill system.

You know how in Dks2, if you 2handed some weapons then they had a special L2 attack? Now every item that you equip in a hand has such a move. It looks like most weapons will have one from a certain number of "general" Skills, with unique weapons like boss weapons having unique Skills of their own. To go along with this, there is a special category of shields that have the Skill "Weapon Skill" which allows you to use your right hand weapon's Skill while 1handing it.

To go along with the new Skill system there is another new feature in the form of the Focus bar. It's much like the Mana bar from Des, but here it not only governs spell usage but Skill usage as well. And to go along with this there have been changes made to the Estus system as well. Now you have a certain number of charges of total Estus that may be allocated at the hub to either the traditional HP restoring Estus or the new Focus restoring Ash Estus.

Useful Resources
How to buy the game
English translations from pre-release footage (e.g. menus, item descriptions)
Google translate app for bad on the fly translations

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://youtu.be/vA5oy41mpsY

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Good OP, now come on boys I wanna baste in those spoilers, don't be shy.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
http://darksouls3items.herokuapp.com/ is a per-icon translation thingamajigger that will be helpful if it gets regular updates. My PSN name is this name and I will be happy to experiment with folks who want to try PvE and PvP things if I'm not too busy focusing on PvE chilling at the time.

For the April 12th worldwide release I intend to have at least two accounts filled with various levels of twinks and if there are any likeminded goons who want to do that together in a serious way (10, 2X, 5X, 7X levels), let's start building the salt-maker factory together after we hit the credits in this one.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

So what time on Wednesday can I play this? Need to know if I should call out of work.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ten_twentyfour posted:

So what time on Wednesday can I play this? Need to know if I should call out of work.

Which timezone? http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/japan/tokyo

Stay in work and get a fill of the reward sense in the brain when you come home.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

f that, work is for losers, stay home and game all day

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So, anyone planning on streaming this ?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Which timezone? http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/japan/tokyo

Stay in work and get a fill of the reward sense in the brain when you come home.

East coast. What I'm asking is does it unlock at 12AM on the 24th there, or is it later in the day.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Did they release the achievements/trophies for this yet? This series brings out my completionist side.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You can buy this game on Xbox Live for japan release as well, I did it and already have the game installed on my US xbone and because of the awesome game-sharing features the new consoles added, my buddy gets a free copy as well for jolly co-operation.

You have to buy Yen-based XBL points, switch your console's language to Japanese & restart, and change your account's region to Japan (on xbox.com) before redeeming the Yen-based XBL points. You need 7500 or 8000 Yen worth and Amazon Japan sells the codes in the right size packages.

Note: If you don't have a CC already on file with Microsoft (your US account), it'll ask you to input an appropriate Nipponese address and info while you're still in Japanese mode. so I hope you're good at identifying heiroglyphs from a long string of them. Google Translate app on my phone to the rescue.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I have to wonder...
Back during Dark Souls 1, people who broke the street date to play the game were punished by having ultra powerful level 150 dark phantoms constantly invading their games. You think we'll see this again?

ultrachrist posted:

Did they release the achievements/trophies for this yet? This series brings out my completionist side.
Yep, we got the trophies through a Russian site:
http://www.stratege.ru/ps4/games/dark_souls_iii/trophies#args:ajax=1

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
4 + 14 bosses, with DLCs it'll probably get as much or more than DS/DS2

From the images of some of those they look fun to fight

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

ten_twentyfour posted:

East coast. What I'm asking is does it unlock at 12AM on the 24th there, or is it later in the day.

Set an alarm for http://www.torpeden.se/DKSIII/JP/ 1d17h11m from this post

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Set an alarm for http://www.torpeden.se/DKSIII/JP/ 1d17h11m from this post

Thanks. Looks like 11AMish Eastern. I'll leave work early I guess.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did it, I ordered the JPN version. Since I made the ps4 the primary for both accounts, I should be able to actually play it online with my normal ps account, right? Or, I guess, my japanese psn can utilize the ps+ that my main account has? It doesn't really matter, I guess.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 21, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm surprised the Silver Talisman equivalent randomly mentions Dusk. That's one name I didn't expect to see again.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I did it, I ordered the JPN version. Since I made the ps4 the primary for both accounts, I should be able to actually play it online with my normal ps account, right? Or, I guess, my japanese psn can utilize the ps+ that my main account has? It doesn't really matter, I guess.

Yeah you'll be fine. May wanna start it up first on the JP account to really flag it as a game you own, in rare weird occasions "restore licenses" needs to be used.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Good idea/good to know.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is this game preloading yet? I pre-ordered it but couldn't figure out how to download it, if that's possible. The OP of the other thread is a huge enabler and I hate it. Oh well, if I can play Japanese Monster Hunter I can play Japanese Dark Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this game preloading yet? I pre-ordered it but couldn't figure out how to download it, if that's possible. The OP of the other thread is a huge enabler and I hate it. Oh well, if I can play Japanese Monster Hunter I can play Japanese Dark Souls.

It's pre-loading. There should be an option on the store page to do it.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Waiting for a brave xbox one guy to get this and spell out how accessible it is. Ether Frenzy's post makes it sound far more difficult than I can manage.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Moon Monster posted:

Glad to be of service.

Yes it is preloading, though mine didn't start till just now when I turned on the PS4 so don't just set it to rest mode, log in once to your JPN account. It DLs a 4GB chunk followed by the other 15GB or whatever of it. If it doesn't start automatically after you log in go to it in your library and click the download button. Make sure you have the connect-to-internet function enabled for rest mode on your JPN account too.

You should also be able to see it on your main account at this time if you have them both set to primary.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 22, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah I had to go into my jp account and go to my game library and choose download. I must've messed up when I preordered it and it didn't auto start downloading.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Got the pre-load rolling. I would kill babies to play this right now.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Stay safe dark souls 3 ghosts

AvidAcid
May 30, 2004

oh christ
I just caved and pre-ordered the JP version, hope the translation page keeps up with my marathoning.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can't see any other way to get that authentic "what the gently caress now" feeling than stumbling through Menus and zones with only machine translation and translation notes from other players online to figure it out. :unsmigghh:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

gently caress it, I am in for the moon rune version. Just did the account and point card stuff, and am preloading now. I have all of next week off, which makes this terrible idea easier to justify. I downloaded the google translate phone app, though it doesn't seem to be perfect. I suppose the language barrier will make the strange world all the stranger.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

All you need to know is that you will most likely change to a different path of the game if you use the first dialogue option of the foreskin pilgrim.

What I want to know is where exactly do you find this one certain NPC who doesn't account for much: Greirat or smth. He wants you to take something to a lady but she's a strung up corpse at a balcony early on in the Undead Settlement, does he sell poo poo or does he just wait for you at the Shrine then off himself giving you his ashes so more items can be sold by the old lady?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

he's in a jail cell in the high wall. he's a shop, and as part of his quest line you can send him out foraging for stuff to expand his inventory. you only get his ashes for killing him, which probably either puts his outfit in the store or moves some of his inventory there

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

From what I've read he apparently sells stuff and gets a better inventory over time if you tell him to go out and look for goods to nab.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Thank you. Just wanna see if it applies to Foreskin Pilgrim, gonna savescum and see if his unlock can be accelerated.

e: God help me I'm spreadsheet movelist nerding trying to figure out the weapon for my caster.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 22, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ignore. I thought it was out on the 23rd not the 24th.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 22, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Ignore. I thought it was out on the 23rd not the 24th.

It is, depending on your timezones! Midnight on the 24th in Japan is like... 3 PM on the 23rd PST, and 6 PM EST.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah I thought it was out on midnight 22/23 for Japan so it was weird that the countdown timers appeared to point to Midday 23. It makes sense now that I double checked and saw its released 23/24 midnight in Japan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
to be fair is there such a thing as a spoiler in Dark Souls? I mean how long has the first game been out and I still don't know what it's about

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The Reddit for Japanese importers is making this, which is pretty cool: http://darksouls3items.herokuapp.com/

Considering the darn streamers get the English game early, aside from that being some drat Bullshit, it means it should be pretty easy to fill out, so, hooray, I guess?

Speaking of which, some Japanese players reached out the the importing players which is A: adorable and B: could be useful for getting translated info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4b6yzp/weare_japanese_darksouls_fan_make_subreddit/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3_ja/comments/4bbkjn/translation_request_thread_for_english_players/ are the relevant links.

Edit: Whoops, the herokuapp item catalog was already posted!

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

ZZZorcerer posted:

So, anyone planning on streaming this ?

I might... essentially I just want to play it on PC, but that will be filled with hackers within a week. I'm not a huge streamer (and I know a few of them are going in on the JP release) but I've been playing the series since the JP Demon's release. I can translate too, but I'm tempted to just sit back and watch the big streamers stumble through it with no Japanese knowledge using an awkward google photo translation app.

Is japan-codes still the best place for Yen cards?

• Locked thread