Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Lovely Senorita posted:

I've got this, and this is all you need https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4cdfRrRWf4 Sound FAMILIAR?! Looks like she's actually one of the devoured!

NOW ALL WE NEED IS ACTUAL VIDEO OF THE FIGHT :stonklol:

Don't listen to any of the boss music if you don't want things spoiled. Seems like several of the tracks are callbacks to Dark Souls 1 boss themes. Soul of Cinder starts off as a big grandiose thing and eventually fades into Gwyn's Theme in the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

everything rules this game rules

April 12th :gonk:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I can begin Area 5, not yet started Area 4, how far are you folks? I like that it's not on-rails A to B so much, and without the need of a Master Key gift.

Area 1Tutorial and shrine duh. Spent my first hour of play failing to get the Uchi guy down with Estoc, and 400 health, until I bought a fat spell.
Area 2Highwall. Nice spot to sunbro
Area 3Undead Settlement. You can go to Area 4 straight away with no need to get the boss.
Area 4Swamp. Two bosses? Ladder down = poison swamp area leading to the Abyss Watchers, I boned outta there. Taking the upstairs path instead (wtf geometry) leads to the mage, and Area 5. Abyss dead-end?
Area 5Cathedral of the Deep. Dead-end once that boss is down?

Covenanttalk in area 4 there's a huge fuckoff dog in a tower in the swamp, long ladder. Forestbros like action in "Forest of Melphalan", that isn't the swamp is it? extraspoiler the elevator in that room takes you up to that cut off bridge you see at the start of undead settlementTHIS GAME IS THE SEQUEL TO DARK SOULS
In that case, ring question has anyone yet found anti-poisonswamp and anti-slowed down by swamp/water rings?

I'm this close to going and making my first TROGG invader.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 24, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I love that they put that covenant in a loving giant poison hellswamp

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
According to the Crestfallen Warrior at one point when you return to Firelink, Aldritch was a saint who had a bizarre tendency toward eating men, and became so corpulent that his form literally dissolved into mush. He became a Lord of Cinder -- or rather, was apparently made to be one, possibly by the Pontiff -- because of his immense power, then was sequestered away in a deep tomb. Somewhere along the way, Aldritch appears to have gone from eating men to eating gods, and I guess Gwyndolin may have been one of them.

The implication seems to be that Aldritch may be mindless at this point, and may even have been manipulated into linking the fire while in a mindless state by his religion, as opposed to Yhorm/Farron/Oceiros who chose to link it.

EDIT: Oh and the boss that's basically Dragonslayer Ornstein + Executioner Smough + The Pursuer and his Moonlight Butterfly Laser Dragon is loving intense.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 24, 2016

Ophiotaurus
Aug 3, 2014
One of my favorite things about these games is just the character creator. I spent like 30 minutes just trying to see what kind of abomination I could make this time around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeMQr03CwFw

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Nine solid hours /played on that character. Goodnight. What a phenomenal game in all points. If there are framedrops then I haven't had them get in the way of my playing and pleasure ever. It's very okay to point and laugh at the people cancelling their PS4 orders based on a webm loadchug that one streamer got, that no other streamers got, that I didn't get. Dumbassmotherfuckers.

This is the Dark Souls sequel I wanted in all ways. This is Dark Souls on current generation hardware with all it entails. This is Miyazaki geting to run wild and do what he wanted, realize his vision, he said so himself. Hnnngh.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone got a translation of the option menus?

e: ah, Fextralife has pages of the nitty gritty stuff

e2: having X and O reversed is really loving me up

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 24, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I'm bad at actually going to sleep. If anyone know where to loot or grind for a loincloth (deprived style) you'll have a lot of thanks from one of my pvp accounts. If I can get one of those I'll be a lv10 Great Club wielding caveman but benefiting from better stats than a Deprived, need 19 Strength to two-hand the 28STR club if I remember right.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo I have to ask, my feed on youtube exploded today and everyone somehow has the english copy it seems. What the hell gives?

Like even DSP has it apparently.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yo I have to ask, my feed on youtube exploded today and everyone somehow has the english copy it seems. What the hell gives?

Like even DSP has it apparently.

On xbone you can supposedly change your text language to english on the JP version.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CJacobs posted:

On xbone you can supposedly change your text language to english on the JP version.

That makes sense I guess.

What a weird thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Not quite, you can buy it through the JP store but it will download the NA version based on your console region settings

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Not quite, you can buy it through the JP store but it will download the NA version based on your console region settings

Q: Can you also do this on PS4? If so, I'm playin' DS3 tonight dammit. (I'm guessing the answer is no)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Q: Can you also do this on PS4? If so, I'm playin' DS3 tonight dammit. (I'm guessing the answer is no)

no

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Unfortunately no

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gently caress

Well, 2 and a half more weeks of waiting it is then.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That makes sense I guess.

What a weird thing.

Also Bamco gave pretty much anyone with a pulse and a twitch account early access to the PC version.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Ugh gotta call it a night, after 9 hours straight, this game is like a Soulsborne greatest hits and I'm A-OK with that.

Made it through quite a few bosses, now in what looks like the new catacombs area after the poison swamp boss. also did anyone fight the bony asylum demon thing at the top of the tower in the swamp?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

You can get an Uchigatana this early? That's pretty rad. Guy holding it was a chump, too.

Also uh... How do I start the game? I got to Firelink, and I don't know where to go from here. Warping doesn't work, and obviously I can't read any of the messages to get a hint.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 24, 2016

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
To Alabaster: Warping should world; it's the first option in the Bonfire Menu. You should be able to access the High Wall of Lothric and start your journey there.

Like others have said, this game is pretty amazing, and PVP isn't even THAT terribly laggy considering I'm mostly interacting with people an ocean away.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Scrree posted:

To Alabaster: Warping should world; it's the first option in the Bonfire Menu. You should be able to access the High Wall of Lothric and start your journey there.

Like others have said, this game is pretty amazing, and PVP isn't even THAT terribly laggy considering I'm mostly interacting with people an ocean away.

The warp option just comes up with some message I can't read. There's also a strange percentage counter incrementing on the main menu, and I walked into an unloaded zone earlier. Maybe my game isn't fully installed yet or something?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alabaster White posted:

You can get an Uchigatana this early? That's pretty rad. Guy holding it was a chump, too.

Also uh... How do I start the game? I got to Firelink, and I don't know where to go from here. Warping doesn't work, and obviously I can't read any of the messages to get a hint.

If you're playing on PS4 it's possible your game download isn't complete. You're able to do the initial area and get to Firelink before the game is completely finished downloading, but you can't warp or go anywhere else until it gets to 100%. Go to the PS Menu and check out Notifications -> Downloads and make sure the game isn't still DLing more data

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alabaster White posted:

The warp option just comes up with some message I can't read. There's also a strange percentage counter incrementing on the main menu, and I walked into an unloaded zone earlier. Maybe my game isn't fully installed yet or something?

Yeah that's the download percentage, lots of PS4 games do this and while it should be a nice feature it's often poorly explained and kinda confusing. You haven't downloaded the entire game yet and from what I understand you can't progress any further until you do

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does this game support cross-platform co-op? Or is it like Dark Souls 1 where there are 3 separate co-op pools for each console?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

opened a fake wall in the swamp by hitting it

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pro-tip for people struggling with the reversed X and O buttons: you can do system-wide button swaps on PS4 that'll extend in-game.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm counting down the last hour at work eager to get home and play more Souls. I last killed what I think is the frost knight, assuming that's the one on all fours with an insane three hit combo, and got a sweet frostbite sword from it. I went back to Firelink to upgrade it but I'm assuming it requires Twinkling?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

NeuroticLich posted:

I'm counting down the last hour at work eager to get home and play more Souls. I last killed what I think is the frost knight, assuming that's the one on all fours with an insane three hit combo, and got a sweet frostbite sword from it. I went back to Firelink to upgrade it but I'm assuming it requires Twinkling?

yeah

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Figured as much, thanks!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Bosses defeated on day one:

Iudex Gundyr :B
Fat Frost Knight of Boreal Valley (forgot real name)
Curse-rotted Greatwood

Minibosses(?):

Big Crystal Lizard
Fire Beast
Asylum Demon
Agile Frost Knight of Boreal Valley (dunked down elevator hole)

NPCs:

Naked katana guy
Naked butcher knife lady
Two nerds near the teleporting witch bonfire that ran off a ledge when I tried to climb down a ladder to get away from them

On the menu for tomorrow...

Teleporting Swamp Witch
That big fucker in the swamp

Also shitloads of reds gangbanged as a blue sentinel lmao

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 24, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
PS this game is amazing

Double PS "I help any time" even if you did kill me like 10 times while I was trying to jump to that cliff rear end in a top hat :3:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NeuroticLich posted:

P sure this is the new Drake Sword, I saw so many stubborn streamers using it unupgraded at a point where they had titanite shards coming out of their asses and I'm fairly confident that a +3 anything would be a better choice.

nifty1
Feb 9, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

I'm bad at actually going to sleep. If anyone know where to loot or grind for a loincloth (deprived style) you'll have a lot of thanks from one of my pvp accounts. If I can get one of those I'll be a lv10 Great Club wielding caveman but benefiting from better stats than a Deprived, need 19 Strength to two-hand the 28STR club if I remember right.

Loincloth is past the locked door in the sewer in Undead settlement area. You can buy the key from the shopkeeper at the Firelink shrine after you give her some ash

nifty1 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 24, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

lets hang out posted:

opened a fake wall in the swamp by hitting it

Welp, time to smash every single wall in the swamp.

By the way, was this in "clean" swamp or poisonswamp?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ymgve posted:

Welp, time to smash every single wall in the swamp.

By the way, was this in "clean" swamp or poisonswamp?

poison, it was to get an item next to the covenant thing there

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
How do I advance after beating the tree boss? I explored most of the area he's in.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you opened the shortcut with the rat tunnel, go from bonfire > through rat tunnel > across the bridge to your right when you come out of rat tunnel > past a bunch of those red cloak saw guys into what is called "the abandoned church" by a nearby NPC > down the elevator > kill enemy to proceed

If you haven't opened that shortcut, from the entrance to the tree boss room you need to run straight in the opposite direction. There will be a gang of Bloodborne mooks patrolling the straightaway, led by a priest. Bridge will be on your left at the end of the straightaway, rat tunnel and shortcut on your right.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 24, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
These werebirds are the freakiest drat thing holy poo poo, every single noise they make is creepy as all hell.
On the flipside (NPCs), happy to see people from Astora still around. Oscar's legacy stuck around it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone managed to find Loretta in the undead settlement? That mocking knight with the huge hammer makes it sound like I've found some woman around there, but I have no idea where/when/who he's talking about. Also, does the third boss evil tree aka treevil actually unlock anything when you beat it?

• Locked thread